CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

I wonder how many people are in Trump's ear, like Dr. Vinkman trying to convince Pecker to not open up the storage facility. 

That's actually a pretty decent comparison if I do say so myself. The results would be similar in New York anyway. 

• Like 5

So in all  honesty what does opening up the country for business really mean?  I know even if they open all the businesses, etc... around me I am not about to go hang out at a bar or restaurant.  I'm not going to the movie theater or to walk around the mall or attend any concerts.  I get there are plenty of morons that will do all of these things but there are plenty of sane people that will keep sheltering in place and social distancing so all of these "open businesses" will continue to struggle.  I told my boss I don't care what the President says I am not getting on a plane and flying around the country any time soon and he agreed that he isn't either.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So in all  honesty what does opening up the country for business really mean?  I know even if they open all the businesses, etc... around me I am not about to go hang out at a bar or restaurant.  I'm not going to the movie theater or to walk around the mall or attend any concerts.  I get there are plenty of morons that will do all of these things but there are plenty of sane people that will keep sheltering in place and social distancing so all of these "open businesses" will continue to struggle.  I told my boss I don't care what the President says I am not getting on a plane and flying around the country any time soon and he agreed that he isn't either.  

Some people think if Daddy says it's ok to play outside, that all the other kids will be out there too magically. 

People: There are no libertarians during a pandemic! They bring absolutely zero to the political dialogue. 

Government: After watching the FDA and CDC shit the bed, we are going to slash all these regulations that unnecessarily slow innovation and development of testing in the private sector.  Also, these regulations that prevent inter-state recognition of licensing for healthcare professionals are hurting our healthcare response. Also, home delivery and take out of alcohol, totally common sense of course.

Libertarians:

c6bf9b08586c241b021dd04c204b7a85.png

• Like 1

It's really starting to hit me today just how fucked we are and there's nothing anyone competent can do about it as long as trump or any republican has power. Having to step back to ward of anxiety attacks. But can't shake the feeling this will be the worst few years in all of our lives. 

How has this party gone so incredibly stupid 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I was thinking about this. What will happen is million of idiots will prance around like it's all good now and it will cause mass infection spikes, overrun hospitals, and another subsequent mass shutdown. While making it far more dangerous than it even is now for us non idiots to do even simple things like getting food. 

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Like 4

Well, most of them are borderline insane, but at least Lighthizer has a modicum of sense about how U.S. trade with her nearby partners works.  And while I do not like Ross as a person, think Mnuchin is creepy, and Kudlow is an evil man---their current roles in the administration suggest they would be a party to this group.  Meadows, Ivanka, and Kushner have no business being on there.  

Any other administration would put someone on there from the Council of Economic Advisers.  Not this guy, in fact go to their website for fun...it's all massively pro-Trump.  But then the news updates suddenly stop on 6 March.  It would make sense to have somebody from the SBA...you know the agency that deals with all the companies people got laid off from.  Someone from the Federal Reserve (I know Trump hates them right now).  Someone from Fannie or Freddie since mortgages/foreclosures could be a thing in a few months.  Probably somebody in either DoT or whoever the White House Supply Chain czar is.  Someone from maybe HUD or HHS who really speak to minority owned businesses and layoffs.  

Nobody was expecting this clown to go out and find real experts from the private sector and academia/think tanks.  He can still choose Trump loyalists within the departments/groups I just mentioned...but he couldn't even do that.  He picked one marginally qualified guy, three guys that are sort of ex-officio, and then 3 shitheads who have no business within a mile of this meeting.  And of course, 1 woman, 0 people of color, and 0 people with scientific/medical/background.  Mnuchin and Ivanka at least studied economics, that's the grand total of educational experience in the fields needed to research/deliberate/launch a initiative of this scale.  Two people who studied economics decades ago.  Now, you can tell me that obviously this group will aggregate from all departments, fields, and businesses across the nation to find the best intel and advice.  And I will tell you that are lying to yourself,.

48 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

People: There are no libertarians during a pandemic! They bring absolutely zero to the political dialogue. 

Government: After watching the FDA and CDC shit the bed, we are going to slash all these regulations that unnecessarily slow innovation and development of testing in the private sector.  Also, these regulations that prevent inter-state recognition of licensing for healthcare professionals are hurting our healthcare response. Also, home delivery and take out of alcohol, totally common sense of course.

Libertarians:

Since you neither replied to nor acknowledged it, here is another shot.

I also have to deal with government regulations on the tools of my trade. Getting a chemical to pass inspection is not easy. 

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 12:53 AM, Wanker Bob said:

I admit it. In 2016 I thought there was a solid chance that Trump would at least turn the corrupt political establishment on it's ear in a positive way for the country. 

Instead he has come in and led the most corrupt and incompetent administration the country has ever seen. He makes Nero look like Abraham Lincoln. To not see that by now takes real derangement. 

4279dtmnsls41.jpg

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Libertarians:

What federal regulations prevent interstate recognition of licensing for health care professionals?

7 hours ago, Nivek said:

I'll never understand interest in Ayn Rand.  She was an idiot.   Her writing was shit and her ideas were worse. 

Damn right. The philosophy of Rand should lose its appeal to any thinking person after their Junior year of high school. People that embrace it in adulthood are sad characters indeed. These are the kind of people who really belive they'll get rich in multi-level marketing scheme...or that Trump did everything he could to address Covid19.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Since you neither replied to nor acknowledged it, here is another shot.

I also have to deal with government regulations on the tools of my trade. Getting a chemical to pass inspection is not easy. 

Sorry if this is something that I missed in an earlier exchange.  What is the question exactly?  

Farms are destroying millions of pounds of fresh good at the same time as thousands upon thousands of people line up at food banks.  Remember, there are people dumb enough to believe this is the best possible system of resource allocation mankind could ever hope to possess.  This is the best of all possible worlds.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Farms are destroying millions of pounds of fresh good at the same time as thousands upon thousands of people line up at food banks.  Remember, there are people dumb enough to believe this is the best possible system of resource allocation mankind could ever hope to possess.  This is the best of all possible worlds.  

Sucks when demand falls off a cliff. Unfortunately, food banks don't qualify as demand in capitalism.

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Sorry if this is something that I missed in an earlier exchange.  What is the question 

Are you being deliberately obtuse? 

You're beating on the same drum as Stephens, that the FDA and the CDC are the problem. It's not the agencies themselves but the political appointees that cause the problems. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Our implementation of the resource allocation system isn't ideal. I don't think that means the system itself is bad. It just needs help to work properly. We've been busy doing the opposite for at least 50 years. 

8 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Not that I am defending food destruction at a time like this, but the issue is distribution.  The SA food bank didn't run out of food.  Yet at least.  It may happen in 3 weeks per your link.  They just don't have the manpower to distribute what they have. And clearly, they need to have a better distribution model that includes more than a single location.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I'm sure someone here will still try to convince us that HCQ is still the answer:

Yeah, 'cause you gotta combine it with the Zinc Oxide, duh!  Trump even said.

The absence of Zinc Oxide can bring about several deadly side effects, explained in this video even Trump and Italians can understand

6 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Are you being deliberately obtuse? 

You're beating on the same drum as Stephens, that the FDA and the CDC are the problem. It's not the agencies themselves but the political appointees that cause the problems. 

I don't see anything by Stephens in the tweet you posted. 

But if you want my opinion I am happy to share it.  I don't think it's an either or.  Earlier up thread I posted links to a few different articles, in response to CaptainAnt I think, that discuss the various breakdowns at CDC and FDA.  Based on what I have seen it appears that the errors were committed by agency leadership (as well as non-political staff and administration leadership) and a regulatory framework that hampered agility and also resulted in some unintended consequences.

Edited by Anastasis

1 minute ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

You're on notice Colorado. Submit your proposal to the future country of Califorganington if you want in. 

Narrator: you definitely want in. 

Colorado is in a tough spot in the break up. New Mexico is their best bet at joining a state that shares a border with them. Slim pickings around there.