CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

I'm curious as to how the market will react when it becomes obvious the economy isn't going to reopen or bounce back anywhere near as quickly as the administration would like people to believe.
What if they throw a depression and the capital markets don't care?
  • Haha 1

Spoiler

The federal government’s tardy response and relatively data-free approach to the coronavirus pandemic has one Silicon Valley CEO who specializes in Big Data steaming mad.

“The fact that we didn’t do anything in a cohesive process is where I pull my hair out,” Doug Merritt, whose software company Splunk Inc. SPLK, +6.16% helps government agencies such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, vented to MarketWatch in a phone interview Monday. “The government’s extremely sloppy response came from a lack of data-driven decision-making. It was a total failure of leadership.”

As an expert in data analysis, Merritt is appalled that the government waited so long to act on COVID-19, and continues to fumble to this day. “We knew of the threat in late December, and had decades of plans for a pandemic,” he said. “We didn’t adequately prepare facilities and equipment for our health-care professionals.”

The missteps continue through the White House’s daily coronavirus press briefings, he said. “Why are we holding press conferences on reopening the country, with no specifics, when we should be talking about how we plan to transition back to the economy?” he asked. “There is simply no plan.”

The common denominator, he said, is a lack of data-driven decision-making in the White House due to what he calls “a tough set of circumstances”: a president not “super interested” in data and science; a lack of systems thinking within the administration to address such a complicated issue; and the general absence of experts given air time to address the problem.

Conversely, Merritt gives high marks to state and local officials in California and New York for their aggressive shelter-in-place policies based on the rapid spread of COVID-19 and limited test results, but it gnaws at him that certain data-driven initiatives were not pursued earlier on a national level.

He mentions three missed opportunities: The federal government could have called on Apple Inc. AAPL, +4.18% and Alphabet Inc.’s Google GOOGL, +2.86% GOOG, +2.86% three months ago to collect health data and other information from millions of Americans who use their smartphones; it could have earmarked $100 million to General Motors Co. GM, +2.20% to come up with a proof-of-concept assembly line for the wide-scale production of ventilators and personal protective equipment (PPE); and it should have taken early inventory of nationally available masks and PPEs.

“We work with hospitals and government agencies, so I think our government was just flat-footed in assessing the medical supply chain,” Merritt said. “We can do better than this.”

Merritt, who hosted former President Barack Obama in a chat last year on the importance of Big Data, has been among the most opinionated tech leaders in grading the government’s response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Microsoft Corp. MSFT, +2.90% co-founder Bill Gates, who has warned about pandemics for years, gave the U.S. response high marks for social distancing efforts but low marks for testing in an interview with NPR last week.

Former Google CEO Eric Schmidt criticized the federal government’s lack of a coronavirus plan during a videoconference call attended by MarketWatch last week. “There is no plan,” he said.

Splunk CEO with a damn solid takedown of Donnie in an interview yesterday. 

“The fact that we didn’t do anything in a cohesive process is where I pull my hair out,” Doug Merritt, whose software company Splunk Inc. SPLK, +6.16% helps government agencies such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, vented to MarketWatch in a phone interview Monday. “The government’s extremely sloppy response came from a lack of data-driven decision-making. It was a total failure of leadership.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/big-data-tech-ceo-on-the-federal-governments-response-to-coronavirus-a-total-failure-of-leadership-2020-04-13

11 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Virginia pastor who held packed church services during coronavirus and who mocked the virus dies of coronavirus.  His wife also has it.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/13/virginia-pastor-who-held-packed-church-service-dies-of-coronavirus/

Their daughter, Mar-Gerie Crawley, told WTVR that her father initially dismissed his symptoms because he has a condition that often leads to fevers and infections.

She is now urging everyone to stay home.

It becomes very real to you,” she told WTVR after her parents’ diagnoses.

Yes, little Miss Christian Woman, it becomes real to you when it happens to you, and you can see it.

Had your father and his community employed empathy and sense, you wouldn't have required the board to the side of your head to get the picture. Had you actually realized you're the same as all those people going to hell, you may have generated a little real sympathy.

Had you not bent over for Caesar to give him everything, you might actually possess a personal philosophy based on some solid concepts like loving all your brothers and helping them as you would have them help you.

This is a "first they came for the Jews..." lesson, my friend. Your church scoffed at a very real general threat until they were consumed by it.

I don't wish horrible illness and death on the congregation or even her now dead father. I am full of scorn for their self-centered certainty and callousness.

Fuck you. You took a short break from destroying the republic to have a plague fest. Fucking morons.

You voted face-eating leopard. You embraced a plague to show your loyalty to same.

Fucking malign idiots. The translation from Greek must be wrong. It's not the meek who inherit the earth; it's the mentally weak.

Again, for emphasis and to vent: Fuck You!

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Do you like mutiny, Mr. Lewandowski?

Excuse me?

Mutiny. Rebellion on the high seas. Insurrection. Do you like it?

I was talking about ventilators, sir.

You’re not interested in mutiny?

You mean insurrection?

I like it, too. It’s fake news about conservatives that we hate mutiny. It can be a natural, zesty enterprise. But unfortunately there are some people—Cuomo in New York, Whitmer in Michigan—who engage in it compulsively and without joy.

Oh no.

Yes Mr. Lewandowski. These unfortunate souls cannot rebel in the true sense of the word.  Our mutual acquaintance Inslee is one of these.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

no testing = no infection spikes. 

bing bang boom. 

You're ahead of me on this.

Even I, a follower of Brother Brisket Tex of the Flaming Cocktail Toasting a Flaming Republic from the Ledge, was naively slow in concluding that. The fact that Trump constantly lies about testing is further proof that he knows how important it is to him. In this case, the importance. I'm stupid for not seeing his agenda (ebil lib thing usually) as he let the people on the ship die instead of allowing the ship to dock:

"I like the numbers being where they are. I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship" -- Trump explains that he doesn't want to let people off the Grand Princess cruise ship because he doesn't want the number of coronavirus cases in the country to go up

It's not the rate of infection he cares about. Saying he cares about that is the same as saying he actually cares about paying his share of taxes. No, in both cases he only cares about how the numbers can be manipulated, lied about, and stalled for his personal, material gratification.

Iron cage. Deck of slow moving freighter. Naked and North Sea bound. Cage goes over the side with no ceremony. Maybe a camera pointed over the side so we can watch the cage vanish into the freezing cold depths. Big cage that could hold a lot of naked villains. Big fucking cage.

2 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

March 12th

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/487329-ohio-health-official-estimates-100000-people-in-state-have-coronavirus

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/continuing-coverage/coronavirus/ohio-department-of-health-says-100-000-ohioans-are-carrying-coronavirus

Also claimed the number of cases would double every six days, that should mean over three million cases in Ohio by now.  I was actually off with my memory, the latest number of cases according to the tracker John Hopkins is using is less than 7,000 cases.  There is absolutely no fucking way in the world social distancing is decreasing the amount of coronavirus cases by ninety nine percent.  (3.2 million cases in Ohio is where we would be if we started out with 100,000 cases on March 12 with the number of cases doubling every six days.  7,000 divided by 3.2 million=.002)These health experts see every crisis through absolute worst case scenarios and the reality is very few of them ever actually are.  "Experts" pull numbers like this out of their ass and go super heavy on the over to cover their ass.  The media then parrots these numbers at the top of their lungs over and over until the entire country is in a panic.  They do not ask how do you get these numbers.  They do not ask how confident are you in these numbers.  And when the numbers come out this far off base they don't ask why.  Unless of course it is Trump relaying the numbers.  They get real interested then but not when anyone else pulls a number out of their ass.

Social distancing could absolutely cause that kind of decrease.  What the fuck do you think we are doing it for?  Nobody wants to spend this much time with their wife on purpose.  If done perfectly correctly, which to be fair hardly anyone is doing, it can cause new infections to be exactly zero.  

I live in Queens and ride the subway every day on a normal workday.  My chances of infection absent shelter in place approached 100%.  Now they are less than 1%.  But even the dumbasses that are still going about their business semi normally while mostly maintaining a 6 foot distance between themselves have a significantly reduced chance of infection because most others are sheltering in place.

The affect would be even more pronounced in Ohio where they don't still need to use mass transit and they can effectively get new transmissions to near zero if they take extra care when at the grocery store and stay home otherwise.  Just avoiding the workplace, church, restaurants, and other gathering places is really all it takes to drastically reduce spread.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

March 12th

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/487329-ohio-health-official-estimates-100000-people-in-state-have-coronavirus

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/continuing-coverage/coronavirus/ohio-department-of-health-says-100-000-ohioans-are-carrying-coronavirus

Also claimed the number of cases would double every six days, that should mean over three million cases in Ohio by now.  I was actually off with my memory, the latest number of cases according to the tracker John Hopkins is using is less than 7,000 cases.  There is absolutely no fucking way in the world social distancing is decreasing the amount of coronavirus cases by ninety nine percent.  (3.2 million cases in Ohio is where we would be if we started out with 100,000 cases on March 12 with the number of cases doubling every six days.  7,000 divided by 3.2 million=.002)These health experts see every crisis through absolute worst case scenarios and the reality is very few of them ever actually are.  "Experts" pull numbers like this out of their ass and go super heavy on the over to cover their ass.  The media then parrots these numbers at the top of their lungs over and over until the entire country is in a panic.  They do not ask how do you get these numbers.  They do not ask how confident are you in these numbers.  And when the numbers come out this far off base they don't ask why.  Unless of course it is Trump relaying the numbers.  They get real interested then but not when anyone else pulls a number out of their ass.

Yknow, maybe health professionals use the worst-case because they're trying to save human lives, not win an election or make money.  They get the benefit of the doubt when they err for the same reason, when the malignant shit funnel does not.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Social distancing could absolutely cause that kind of decrease.  What the fuck do you think we are doing it for?  Nobody wants to spend this much time with their wife on purpose.

No shit. My girlfriend is not happy at all about all the time I'm spending with my wife. 

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

yeah, as mose here points out, bligh is an ironic choice for trump to identify with.

or is it?

Except that at least Bligh had skill.  Could you imagine that fat orange fuck sailing a 23-foot boat 3,500 miles?

• Like 1

March 12th

Hey remember when you showed you lack the ability to do fifth grade math? Maybe don't try to talk about numbers. They're clearly beyond your grasp. And really don't talk about made up numbers when you are trying to support Donald "one million tests next week" Trump. Maybe try a nice coloring book.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Hey remember when you showed you lack the ability to do fifth grade math? Maybe don't try to talk about numbers. They're clearly beyond your grasp. And really don't talk about made up numbers when you are trying to support Donald "one million tests next week" Trump. Maybe try a nice coloring book.

He would fuck that up too.

spacer.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

He is so predictable and his base will eat this shit up, but this is all going to be a set up for next month when he can put the blame of the economy on the governors and mayors and not himself. 

The spread of the virus and economic collapse will be the fault of state and local officials. Which begs the question, why would a President with "absolute authority" allow that to happen to his citizens? 

• Like 2

So fucking stupid and reactionary and pointless.

The whole gotdamn reason WHO was bending to China is because we already cut funding and left positions unfilled and allowed them to fill the vacuum.

As much as Americans don’t want to hear it and what this virus has made quite clear, other countries CAN fuck us up and withdrawing our seat at the table doesn’t fix it.

It makes it fucking worse.
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, Lagunamadre said:

He is so predictable and his base will eat this shit up, but this is all going to be a set up for next month when he can put the blame of the economy on the governors and mayors and not himself. 

The spread of the virus and economic collapse will be the fault of state and local officials. Which begs the question, why would a President with "absolute authority" allow that to happen to his citizens? 

You'll like this. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/04/lazy-authoritarian/609937/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

What the fuck is this all about? He's just rambling off names of companies, organizations & groups he can barely slur through.

Proof of literacy. Since he skipped the “ethnic” names, I ain’t fuckin convinced.

The Great Vince McMahon!

Edited by TheStoicPaisano

2 Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat Judas and his brethren;

3 And Judas begat Phares and Zara of Thamar; and Phares begat Esrom; and Esrom begat Aram;

4 And Aram begat Aminadab; and Aminadab begat Naasson; and Naasson begat Salmon;

5 And Salmon begat Booz of Rachab; and Booz begat Obed of Ruth; and Obed begat Jesse;

6 And Jesse begat David the king; and David the king begat Solomon of her that had been the wife of Urias;

7 And Solomon begat Roboam; and Roboam begat Abia; and Abia begat Asa;

8 And Asa begat Josaphat; and Josaphat begat Joram; and Joram begat Ozias;

9 And Ozias begat Joatham; and Joatham begat Achaz; and Achaz begat Ezekias;

10 And Ezekias begat Manasses; and Manasses begat Amon; and Amon begat Josias;

11 And Josias begat Jechonias and his brethren, about the time they were carried away to Babylon:

12 And after they were brought to Babylon, Jechonias begat Salathiel; and Salathiel begat Zorobabel;

13 And Zorobabel begat Abiud; and Abiud begat Eliakim; and Eliakim begat Azor;

14 And Azor begat Sadoc; and Sadoc begat Achim; and Achim begat Eliud;

15 And Eliud begat Eleazar; and Eleazar begat Matthan; and Matthan begat Jacob;

16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

• Like 7