Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

5 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

How?  You serious, Clark?  The UIL has to agree to the broadcasts.  You don't think aggy could/would lobby them HARD to not do it?

Why would they not agree?  They would be paid a modest amount and I can guarantee you parents of players and fans would want the games on tv.  Despite the aggy bitching.  And guess who runs UIL?

Jason, a member of the Texas Baseball team from 1999-2000, graduated from the McCombs School of Business in 2001 before earning his law degree and returning to Austin to found the McMinn Law Firm. Suiteholders since 2009, the McMinns can often be found at UFCU Disch-Falk Field but they also made the trip to Omaha this past summer for Texas' NCAA-record 36th trip to the College World Series.

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’d like to do a call-in with you, me, and Derka as the round table. Turn it into a longhorn variety show. Have a political segment where jimmyjazz and Hugo Stiglitz alternate between shouting and sobbing at Johnny Sack, who lights his cigar by setting a $100 on fire and holding it to the end of the ciggy, and just generally acts smug to whatever jimmyjazz and Stiglitz are saying. Have a recruiting section where Sydney Carton basically just screams at callers while sarvanaash sits quietly in the sidekick chair and bites his fingernails. Have a current affairs segment where brisketexan attempts to read at least one headline before exploding into a tear-filled, red-faced tirade about the decline of humanity. I’d close every show by challenging the worst caller to a fight and telling Derka that Shaka Smart is a coaching genius. I like where you’re going with this. 

We need the old Merv Griffin set for this. 

The-Merv-Griffin-Show-Seinfeld.jpg

1 hour ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

We need the old Merv Griffin set for this. 

The-Merv-Griffin-Show-Seinfeld.jpg

Where are the cameras?  

And first of all...you're using notecards.  

56 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

geez CDC is a saint. he's doing his part, students need to do theirs. 

I believe they'll respond where/when he gets it right.

Same with the fans/boosters/alums.  A lot of positive efforts here, and most importantly not lip service and empty gestures.  I doubt every single idea attempted will hit, but he's at least trying some new things that are targeted at the broadest part of the fan base.  Overall I'm expecting more hits than misses.

Edited by utee94

46 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I believe they'll respond where/when he gets it right.

Same with the fans/boosters/alums.  A lot of positive efforts here, and most importantly not lip service and empty gestures.  I doubt every single idea attempted will hit, but he's at least trying some new things that are targeted at the broadest part of the fan base.  Overall I'm expecting more hits than misses.

there will be some kinks in the process during the first year of all these new changes. but by year 2 he'll have the whole fan experience running perfectly.

25 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Football team could help out too, by winning.

when you're the state school of Texas where football is king and you have a huge student body and alumni base,  you shouldn't have to win for the fans to come out. we only get 5 or 6 home games a year, it's not like it's baseball. i'm a pretty recent grad, the apathy I saw from some peers was embarrassing. 

13 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

when you're the state school of Texas where football is king and you have a huge student body and alumni base,  you shouldn't have to win for the fans to come out. we only get 5 or 6 home games a year, it's not like it's baseball. i'm a pretty recent grad, the apathy I saw from some peers was embarrassing. 

Sure. Winning will still help.

On 8/8/2018 at 10:51 AM, dcbc said:

I assume the fraternities will send pledges in to hold blocks of seats and continue to show up toward the end of the first quarter.  

I further assume there will be some fights over seats.

It would be better if there were a handful of general admission entrances for students, at which the tickets with seat numbers were handed to them as they scanned their IDs.  Then, they have a seat, they can't leave the stadium, but they don't have to sit in the DKR easy bake oven section the entire time holding their seat. 

Blocking off seats won't work if it's first come first served, though right? After the max students come (especially for big games), there will be no seats left so students won't be allowed to enter. Even if they were able to for the lower-attendance games, it would have to be pretty minimal because each student entering the stadium would naturally fill in where seats aren't being reserved, but once there are no open seats available, the students  being allowed in the stadium would make the fresh pledges give it up. So, it helps maximize the students who are most excited about the game and more likely to stay for its entirety will be given seats, while the lame ones will miss out as long as there are enough of the former to fill the stadium.

I wish they'd show UIL games on LHN. You know loyal Ags would watch religiously just to meticulously document the times when they feel the ESPN announcers unfairly slighted an Ag recruit and/or fawned over a Texas recruit.  Then they'd post their findings, and we'd all get a big chuckle.

On 8/3/2018 at 10:50 PM, PhillyD said:

I think Texas could push back on showing high school games.  It feels like Deloss totally rolled over on that one and didn't even try to fight.

Non football wise, in the last few years, the network has missed out on preseason basketball games that had a lot of interest.  In addition, there doesn't seem to be any interest in showing spring sports outside of softball and baseball.  Baseball should be shown live whenever possible and never be taken off the air for a blowout softball game.  I'd rather watch some swim meets than another repeat of Texas-USC.  I do think they do a good job on volleyball.  Not sure about soccer, I can barely stomach watching that.

In football, Lowell Gallindo sucks as a host and as the "go to" host,  he's a fucking dork  Find another Kaylee Hartung and when they move up, find another one.  Don't go back to the dork. I'd like to see a lot more buildup towards the upcoming opponents in football each week.  This is a dumb example, but I would talk up every football opponent as being a huge threat to us (a la Mack Brown or Lou Holtz) and focus on key match ups with a really good player or two of the other team.  Texas is a knowledgeable football state and there could be a show with a focus on actual X's and O's each week.  I'm sure there are a lot more ideas out there that people more qualified than me could emphasize but those are just a few off the top of my head.

1) Why not both? /meme

2) David Thomas did something like that a few years ago  I enjoyed his insight.

As to your other points, I agree about not cutting away from baseball to watch softball.  And I’d like to see some track meets besides the Texas Relays, even if they are tape delayed.  T&F is difficult to cover live.  More key matchup analysis would be good leading up to games.

There are so many old games that could be replayed as time fillers, they could concentrate on producing quality new material.  I don’t like the ESPN Classic way of skipping ahead to further action.  Some of us like to watch good defense, like Jerry Gray running down Bo Jackson which always seems to get cut from Texas-Auburn replays.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

59 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I wish they'd show UIL games on LHN. You know loyal Ags would watch religiously just to meticulously document the times when they feel the ESPN announcers unfairly slighted an Ag recruit and/or fawned over a Texas recruit.  Then they'd post their findings, and we'd all get a big chuckle.

Thought I remember reading a few years ago when the LHN first came out that to broadcast high school games you'd need NCAA and UIL approval?

Ahh, here's an article, but I'm not sure whatever came out of UT officials meeting with the NCAA: https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college_sports/college_football/article/Big-12-Longhorn-Network-can-t-carry-high-school-1690063.php

The Big 12's athletic directors unanimously agreed to a one-year moratorium on high school content delivered on institutional or conference media platforms, the league announced in a release Monday. League officials converged in Dallas for a meeting specifically designed to address questions other schools had about the Longhorn Network (LHN), the 24-hour Texas-themed cable channel set to be launched by ESPN later this month

According to the release, no distribution of high-school content will be allowed even after the one-year moratorium unless the NCAA allows it. UT is sending representatives to an NCAA summit on the issue Aug. 22, but it might take months to obtain a ruling.

Here's something interesting from the Houston Chron which made it seem like a.) it would open UT up to NCAA issues (or Dodds just didn't want to press it) and  2.) ESPN just sorta dropped the issue and never looked back.   https://www.chron.com/sports/longhorns/article/TV-Radio-notebook-UT-tries-to-clear-air-on-2081510.php

exas is complying with the NCAA's request, athletic director DeLoss Doddssaid Thursday. ESPN said it "will not do anything on Longhorn Network that would compromise the University of Texas from a compliance perspective."

At issue, potentially, are three elements of Title 13, Section 10 of the NCAA rulebook, which, among other things, prohibits colleges from arranging radio or TV appearances for prospective student-athletes and prohibits schools from allowing prospects on shows conducted by coaches or shows in which coaches are participating.

Dodds said the Texas athletic department will not be involved with selecting high school games on LHN. He said the university "intends to be safe and ESPN to be safe when it comes to NCAA issues."

"ESPN will select the games based on what they feel is best," Dodds said. "We understand that this is a new world and that we're leading the way in an area that is new to us and new to the NCAA and new to ESPN. Like everything else, we will do it in a first-class way, in the light of day, and we will do it the right way."

ESPN will deal with individual school districts, since the University Interscholastic League's only TV contract is with Fox Sports Net to air championship games, in scheduling games. The UIL rule prohibiting live TV game broadcasts on Friday nights also will apply to the Longhorn Network.

Aren't there playoff games on the LHN? 

LHN is espn. The same espn that broadcasts high school games all the time. UIL is owned and operated by UT. No of this shit every made sense other than whiny cunt conference mates that aren't even in the conference anymore. Broadcast some fucking games.

• Like 3

Maybe this is an area wherein Hermans "dickheadedness" could be helpful (ie, mocking the Mizzou QB's backpack dance) and influence our give a shit about what other team's fans think about the content on our network.

They aren't going to hate us any less, nor are they going to stop blaming us for having builtin advantages that they never will......fuck them.

Put the high school games on TV....hell, give the MVP of the game some sort of Longhorn award at the end, and a Mighty Fine Burger gift card, watch aggy really lose their shit. 

Edited by TtomTerrific

4 hours ago, KYHorn said:

Blocking off seats won't work if it's first come first served, though right? After the max students come (especially for big games), there will be no seats left so students won't be allowed to enter. Even if they were able to for the lower-attendance games, it would have to be pretty minimal because each student entering the stadium would naturally fill in where seats aren't being reserved, but once there are no open seats available, the students  being allowed in the stadium would make the fresh pledges give it up. So, it helps maximize the students who are most excited about the game and more likely to stay for its entirety will be given seats, while the lame ones will miss out as long as there are enough of the former to fill the stadium.

My assumption was there were as many general admission seats as there were prepurchased package student tickets.  When they buy the package, their ID allows them access to the student section of the stadium.  They even can pay extra to get in a fast line.  In any event, the idea currently is that whoever gets to a seat first, gets the seat.  Problem is, what if you have to take a piss or maybe you want to go buy taco or a drink or something.  What's to keep someone from snagging your seat.  Or, as mentioned earlier, how many die hards are going to suffer heat stroke because they have to sit in the good seats from the minute the stadium opens until Gabriel blows his horn. 

I'm suggesting that it still be first in line gets the best seats.  Just hand out seat assignments when you scan the ID at the gate.  Once they're in, they can't leave and come back in.  So it rewards early arrivals without requiring that they have to guard the seats the entire time they're there. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dcbc said:

My assumption was there were as many general admission seats as there were prepurchased package student tickets.  When they buy the package, their ID allows them access to the student section of the stadium.  They even can pay extra to get in a fast line.  In any event, the idea currently is that whoever gets to a seat first, gets the seat.  Problem is, what if you have to take a piss or maybe you want to go buy taco or a drink or something.  What's to keep someone from snagging your seat.  Or, as mentioned earlier, how many die hards are going to suffer heat stroke because they have to sit in the good seats from the minute the stadium opens until Gabriel blows his horn. 

I'm suggesting that it still be first in line gets the best seats.  Just hand out seat assignments when you scan the ID at the gate.  Once they're in, they can't leave and come back in.  So it rewards early arrivals without requiring that they have to guard the seats the entire time they're there. 

Ahh, got it. That does seem like a good way to avoid losing your seat each time you get up. 

• Like 1