The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I did Dallas to Hilton head straight through in a corvette once. Only got two tickets.

That's funny because on my return trip I went from Amarillo to Carova NC.

The real come to Jesus moment was a couple years ago my wife and I were flying back from Italy, and when we landed at JFK we found our connecting flight to Norfolk had been canceled. Well I am hell bent on getting home so I am like fuck this we are getting a rental car and driving from NYC down to Virginia Beach through the night. I think we got in the road about 1030pm or so. Well about 3am going down the Eastern Shore I'm trying not to hallucinate I'm so exhausted and legitimately worried I'm going to nod off. Very sobering wake up call as to my capabilities anymore. Needless to say I will happily get a hotel room these days.

Edited by G650

50 minutes ago, G650 said:

That's funny because on my return trip I went from Amarillo to Carova NC.

The real come to Jesus moment was a couple years ago my wife and I were flying back from Italy, and when we landed at JFK we found our connecting flight to Norfolk had been canceled. Well I am hell bent on getting home so I am like fuck this we are getting a rental car and driving from NYC down to Virginia Beach through the night. I think we got in the road about 1030pm or so. Well about 3am going down the Eastern Shore I'm trying not to hallucinate I'm so exhausted and legitimately worried I'm going to nod off. Very sobering wake up call as to my capabilities anymore. Needless to say I will happily get a hotel room these days.

Fell asleep on 35 between Waco and Temple in college.  Woke up and was on the grass median.  When I steered back onto the road I lost control and went into a spin.  Came to rest, no damage to the car.  Pulled  over at the next exit and took a couple of Nodoze and didn’t sleep again for 2 days.  The reason I fell asleep is because I left Dallas at 4:00 a.m. on a Monday morning to get back to Austin in time for class after getting about an hour of sleep.  The reason I chose to do that is undefeated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I fell asleep on the drive between Stillwater and Tulsa when I was in college. Got up around 4:30AM that morning, worked all day, and thought I could make it home and back that evening. Woke up driving down the grass median a few hundred yards from an overpass concrete pillar. Scared the shit out of me and I was wide awake the rest of the drive.

10 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
On 2/5/2022 at 3:06 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:
This car fucks

Speaking of that car, did MB stop selling E63s wagons? Wanted to cross shop that with the RS6.

Still "temporarily" among the halted V8 models.

I was never considering a brand new one, but this is among the factors that led me to make my move now. 

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a38960578/2022-mercedes-v8-models/

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, the move to electric is going to kill off a lot of our favorite/the most interesting cars.

For whatever reason, and I'm sure it's a common sentiment here as well as elsewhere, electric motors just don't scratch my balls like an internal combustion engine.  I deliberately chose ME over EE as a major because I was and am more interested in mechanical than electrical devices, even though electric motors are arguably more the domain of the ME than the EE.

I wonder if anyone felt this way when ICE took over from steam?  Steam still tickles my nads more than electric motors, though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, the move to electric is going to kill off a lot of our favorite/the most interesting cars.

2 analogues for this are:  digital music didn't kill off vinyl; and quartz watches didn't kill off mechanical.

frankly most of the combustion cars are NOT interesting, so if all the chevrolet trax and subaru ascents of the world are replaced by electric, no tears will be shed. 

the miatas and caymans and cars of that ilk will continued to be prized and maintained and live on for people to enjoy.

7 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

2 analogues for this are:  digital music didn't kill off vinyl; and quartz watches didn't kill off mechanical.

frankly most of the combustion cars are NOT interesting, so if all the chevrolet trax and subaru ascents of the world are replaced by electric, no tears will be shed. 

the miatas and caymans and cars of that ilk will continued to be prized and maintained and live on for people to enjoy.

I hope you're right either way, but I can't tell whether you're talking about merely preserving the ICE vehicles already in existence, or two parallel options continuing to be produced.

That said, the sophistication and scale of design/manufacturing (and adherence to all the regulations that come with it), parts sourcing/availability, and all the many variously unique complexities of the auto industry make these comparisons a bit inapt.

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

5 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I hope you're right either way, but I can't tell whether you're talking about merely preserving the ICE vehicles already in existence, or two parallel options continuing to be produced.

That said, the sophistication and scale of design/manufacturing (and adherence to all the regulations that come with it), parts sourcing/availability, and all the many variously unique complexities of the auto industry make these comparisons a bit inapt.

Yeah, no one tried to regulate watches and vinyl out of existence.

But, ICE cars will continue to exist in some form or fashion.  If nothing else, like steam tractors and locomotives.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Still "temporarily" among the halted V8 models.

I was never considering a brand new one, but this is among the factors that led me to make my move now. 

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a38960578/2022-mercedes-v8-models/

Well that's some bullshit.  I hope they bring them back.

• Hook 'Em 1

I had a minor misadventure on the hard-packed country road leaving my buddy's place yesterday morning. There's a little S-curve/jog that I would have successfully navigated 100 times out of 100 in any of my Subarus, but between the greater weight, higher power, bigger/wider tires, and the rear-biased AWD, I overcooked things and stuffed it into a drift at low speed. 

No damage. Just a bunch of snow jammed into the grill/radiator housing - was able to clear much of it by hand by sticking my fingers through the grill (felt like a raccoon trying to get at a morsel in a trap or something), and the rest blew out once I got up to speed. No aberrant temperature readings yesterday. 

Also took a detour to go see my parents. Mom always loved Mercedeses (especially the R107-era SL roadsters) but never got the chance to own one. Dad wasn't a car guy at all, but at one point after he had an irrefutably terminal diagnosis, he asked me out of the blue what kind of car I would buy if I could buy just one car for the rest of my life. An AMG wagon was my immediate response, and he was kind of surprised by that, and interested to learn that there even was such a rare beast that checked so many boxes. In hindsight, I think he was kind of asking about what sort of car I was inevitably going to spend some of my inheritance on, which I eventually did... 

20220206_103659.jpg

20220206_124253.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I had a minor misadventure on the hard-packed country road leaving my buddy's place yesterday morning. There's a little S-curve/jog that I would have successfully navigated 100 times out of 100 in any of my Subarus, but between the greater weight, higher power, bigger/wider tires, and the rear-biased AWD, I overcooked things and stuffed it into a drift at low speed.

you are hereby awarded one of these

64brpy.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

I’m in line for a Panamera Gran Turismo 4S Hybrid allocation and expect to get to start the build as soon as April presuming dealer gets an allocation.  I have had a bit of tunnel vision on it recently, but now getting head turned by the RS6 Avant (queue meme).  Build costs are in same ballpark (Panamera about $10K more, but after rebates, etc. its a bit of a wash).  I’m probably still leaning to the hybrid given how much city driving I’d be doing.  And despite the trunk of the RS6 having a lot more room, it seems like the back seat of the Panamera has more legroom.  

In any event, curious if someone has sat in both.  

42 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I’m in line for a Panamera Gran Turismo 4S Hybrid allocation and expect to get to start the build as soon as April presuming dealer gets an allocation.  I have had a bit of tunnel vision on it recently, but now getting head turned by the RS6 Avant (queue meme).  Build costs are in same ballpark (Panamera about $10K more, but after rebates, etc. its a bit of a wash).  I’m probably still leaning to the hybrid given how much city driving I’d be doing.  And despite the trunk of the RS6 having a lot more room, it seems like the back seat of the Panamera has more legroom.  

Sport Turismo.  I am a dumbass…..    I can’t can’t find backseat comparison specs, but test drove a regular Panamera and came away really impressed .  That’s not the determining factor by any means (I think it’s going to be the hybrid vs. the look of the RS6), but I’ll be driving with people in the back seat quite a bit, so don’t want it to be a shitty experience.  This is coming from someone that had a 2006 IS350 for 10 years, which I loved, but anything is impressive to that back seat, I guess.  

Edited by A-Tex Devil

My Panamera 4S Hybrid got unbelievable gas mileage for the amount of power/torque is possesses. Unless you fell like having fun on a lonely street and put it in sport plus mode, it will just sip gas under normal city driving. I filled mine up maybe 4-5 times a year (8-10k miles a year). I got 38/40 mpg on hwy. now if you drive it like a race car, it will drink premium gas like a drunk drinks bourbon at a bar…

I’m 6’2, I can sit in back w legs crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well, I just got notification that the Bronco I reserved on July 14, 2020 will go into production the first week of March.  I sounds like I should get it around the first week of April.  It has been a  VERY long wait.  I hope it's worth it.  This will be the first vehicle I've ever bought without even driving one ... I sure hope I like it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BTW said:

Well, I just got notification that the Bronco I reserved on July 14, 2020 will go into production the first week of March.  I sounds like I should get it around the first week of April.  It has been a  VERY long wait.  I hope it's worth it.  This will be the first vehicle I've ever bought without even driving one ... I sure hope I like it.

Be curious to see if it holds to that timeframe. My F250 is steadily sliding backwards. Every few days I get a notification that production has been pushed back a week on it, so I’m already almost a month later than when the first notification came. Still waiting on  the Bronco production notice. Ordered a 2 door, so dealer thinks it should be this spring sometime.

On 2/12/2022 at 1:57 PM, Chewbacca said:

Just ordered this exact car today. Sonoma Green, red calipers and all. Now I have to wait for it.

Bailed on the 911, decided I didn't want a 2 seater. The dealer had one RS6 on the lot that was sold, but got to sit in it and start it up. They sound amazing and are sexy as hell in person. Pictures don't do it justice.

Upon further research, this car is Java Green, not Sonoma Green.  Sonoma Green is a bit more toned down.

Here's an RS4 in Sonoma.  This is the color I'm getting.

spacer.png

And here's an RS6 in Sonoma.  The color changes depending on how much light is on it.  

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2