The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

13 hours ago, CoTex said:

since we’re all chiming in with hot takes, I’ll go.

I’m on the fence on this one.

On the one hand, this dude bought a station wagon which generally indicates he’s soft and resigned to hauling groceries car seats and a golden doodle, but

On the other hand he bought a tear-ass German performance car that can blow the doors off of about 90 percent of the cars on the road, which tends to show he’s got some spunk.

Then, he disguises this car as the slowest version of said soccer mommer, as a subterfuge, so that when he elects to unleash the beast, the shock and surprise of others, likely strangers, will be increased.

He’s a showman.  I think this is somewhat better than the guy that puts a wing and a muffler on a dodge neon.  But probably south of the person that just has a badass car and doesn’t need to try to camouflage it.  

So there, I’ve seen worse, and seen better.

My German cousins have always bought Mercedes and the father has always had the badging taken off, no subbing of badging though. So there is precedence. For me, if I am taking the "fancy" badging off I am not putting anything back on there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gyroprotagonist said:

i got nothing other than an old roommate bought an M3 when we got out of college and then would proceed to get heart-attack level rage when he spotted fake badged M3s in the wild.  so like the internet, badging (we don't need no stinkin' badging) is serious bidness.

I sat in an M3 in a showroom once, and out of habit I depressed the clutch and shifted the car from 1st to neutral.  The salesperson, who didn't own a freaking thing in that building except his JC Penney tie, had heart-attack level rage at me.  

I'm no tranny synchro expert but I believe my move was ok. - salesperson was uppity and made it a point to shit on me.  FU bro, I wanted a Grand Cherokee anyway.

18 minutes ago, CoTex said:

I sat in an M3 in a showroom once, and out of habit I depressed the clutch and shifted the car from 1st to neutral.  The salesperson, who didn't own a freaking thing in that building except his JC Penney tie, had heart-attack level rage at me.  

I'm no tranny synchro expert but I believe my move was ok. - salesperson was uppity and made it a point to shit on me.  FU bro, I wanted a Grand Cherokee anyway.

if the engine and wheels are not spinning, all of the gears are already synchronized (at 0rpm).  what a tardo salesperson

20 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Weird. 

On 4/18/2022 at 8:17 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

I think they are wonderful cars. I know people like to talk down on them but, I drove the 2.5 turbo a few years back and it was a hoot. I also liked the pops coming from the exhaust.

I've not driven the new 4.0L, which seems like an amazing car. Which one are you driving?

Loooove the 4.0L but couldn’t find one anywhere. It’s like there’s a car shortage or something. I went with the Boxster S which is that 2.5 turbo. Having played with turbo sixes (996, 997.2) and eights (S63 X5M), this one definitely has more pop and gurgle to the exhaust than most. It’s a blast to drive. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

Loooove the 4.0L but couldn’t find one anywhere. It’s like there’s a car shortage or something. I went with the Boxster S which is that 2.5 turbo. Having played with turbo sixes (996, 997.2) and eights (S63 X5M), this one definitely has more pop and gurgle to the exhaust than most. It’s a blast to drive. 

The crazy thing is when the dimensions are looked at the Boxster/718 has grown so much that it is now a bigger car than my 1998 911. 

The 2022 Boxster is 3,122 pounds, my 911 is 3,020. The height of 2022 is 50.4 inches and my 1998 is 51.77 inches. The wheelbase of the 2022 is 97.4 inches and my 1998 is 89.45 inches. The 2022 is longer, 172.4 inches to 167.72, and on and on, and on.

Two really cool cars. I never understood the hate.

I bought two tickets for the Porsche Club's Spring Raffle. the prizes this Spring are a 2022 Cayman GT4RS and a 2022 Cayman S. For my purposes I'd rather win the Cayman S

Edited by PittsburghTiger

3 hours ago, G650 said:

Screenshot-20220502-185521-Twitter.jpg

What a fucktard!   I’m in agreement with Justin. I learned on a 1979 VW diesel Rabbit. My ‘94 F-150 had a manual as did my dad’s little Ford Focus, which was fun as hell to drive, And now I have the ‘98 911 and I love working through the gears.  

That guy who crashed the GT should be punched in the nose.

That shit kills me. That’s like that one last month if that dude wrecking his early model viper trying to dig against a super up Toyota…

I learned on a farm truck with a 3 on the tree and then with my v6 mustang so when I got to drive my girlfriends dads vette at 16, I was both prepared to drive it and smart enough to know I better watch my ass

• Hook 'Em 1

I know it isn't as exciting as the cars some of you 1%ers can get, but I would love to get one of the new Acura Integras. A manual transmission hatchback with a limited slip diff and adaptive dampers. All at a relatively affordable price point.

It's got a few more nice bits that the Civic SI it's based on doesn't get.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hawndoh said:

I know it isn't as exciting as the cars some of you 1%ers can get, but I would love to get one of the new Acura Integras. A manual transmission hatchback with a limited slip diff and adaptive dampers. All at a relatively affordable price point.

It's got a few more nice bits that the Civic SI it's based on doesn't get.

I think any car can be a lot of fun, if the spec sheet is done correctly. My cousin Fritz's wife was lamenting that one of the Civics she liked was getting rid of the manual. I say you should do it. And an Acura is definitely not a low-brow car. 

Screenshot-20220502-185521-Twitter.jpg

On Plano Rd in Dallas is Stewart’s Body Shop, which is the primary place for Ferrari, Lambo, and all the smaller exotics. He knows how to fix high speed wrecks. My office faced his place and every Monday was a parade of wreckers dragging in the weekend’s damage to a few million of great cars.

The manager did some body work on my card and I’d make him deals on big screen TVs and stuff. He had a story on every one: a Cowboy who bought Viper as a first car and wrecked it the night he bought it, a McLaren that hit a speed bump at 140 in HP, a Maverick that wrecked into a light pole doing doughnuts at the AAC, a rich kid that plowed into a Brinks truck peeling out from the valet line at some elite uptown club. All of them were always stories of inexperience or extreme assholery stupidity with such fancy rides.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, BTW said:

There are no vents back there, but the ones up front seem to be strong enough that if you point a vent at the back, the passengers stay comfortable.

I think that's an allusion to the fact that Ford is shipping some vehicles with non-functional rear vents because they can't get the controller chips for them.

13 hours ago, BTW said:

There are no vents back there, but the ones up front seem to be strong enough that if you point a vent at the back, the passengers stay comfortable.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think that's an allusion to the fact that Ford is shipping some vehicles with non-functional rear vents because they can't get the controller chips for them.

It was an honest question. The showroom model didn’t seem to have vents. The Bronco forums showed these stupid little vents on the floor beneath the front seats. I guess it cools your ankles? I guess more effective for heat in the winter. I’m glad the front vents blow cold enough to cool the entire cabin. 

Yes, there are no vents in the back of the front row center console as one would normally expect to see.  There are vents on the floor under the front seats that are meant to cool the back and coupled with a strategically aimed front vent seem to keep the back row cool enough.  I wasn't being intentionally snarky.

4 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Just picked this up.  2021 CT5.  It was in the showroom with 14 miles on it.  Premium Luxury Edition, with the Technology package, and the V6 twin turbo engine, same engine as the V series so it moves.  I went in looking to get the V series, but this was the best of both worlds.

image.png.37e93e7d5b55703c801e4d5a248f5369.png

image.png.df04dbc9b2d0f6c95820f59832cadb86.png

When I was growing up one of our next door neighbors was a really fantastic fellow, a Seabee in Europe & the Pacific during WWII and all that. Anyway, he was so damned loyal to Cadillac, and for about 40 years they just screwed him, over and over and over.

From the mid-70s until he died in 2007 his Cadillacs were constantly broken, just crap. I saw one of his sons recently and we were talking about his dad, and his devotion to Cadillac, and I mentioned that one of the reasons I wished his dad was still around was so that he could have a really nice Cadillac, like the one you just picked up. 

That looks fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

When I was growing up one of our next door neighbors was a really fantastic fellow, a Seabee in Europe & the Pacific during WWII and all that. Anyway, he was so damned loyal to Cadillac, and for about 40 years they just screwed him, over and over and over.

From the mid-70s until he died in 2007 his Cadillacs were constantly broken, just crap. I saw one of his sons recently and we were talking about his dad, and his devotion to Cadillac, and I mentioned that one of the reasons I wished his dad was still around was so that he could have a really nice Cadillac, like the one you just picked up. 

That looks fantastic.

I doubt the old fella would want anything to do with the Cadillacs of the last 10 years or so, except the one luxobarge they kept around for a while.

I can even predict his description:  "rough as a cob."

4 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That looks fantastic.

Grandma got a new Cadillac every 5-6 years.  Once she was getting clise to the end she just kept what she had.  In 2017 we sold her 2008 Cadillac woth 8500 miles on it for a pretty nice price for what it was.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I doubt the old fella would want anything to do with the Cadillacs of the last 10 years or so, except the one luxobarge they kept around for a while.

I can even predict his description:  "rough as a cob."

And, you would be wrong.

He was a really awesome, and successful, guy. Not an old curmudgeon.

Also in his driveway/garage at the same time were a beautiful SL500, a 300ZX, and a beautiful black Series III Jaguar XJ6

56 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Grandma got a new Cadillac every 5-6 years.  Once she was getting clise to the end she just kept what she had.  In 2017 we sold her 2008 Cadillac woth 8500 miles on it for a pretty nice price for what it was.

My father never bought a Cadillac as he was not really a car guy. I think he was turned off to it because my grandfather used to buy really nice cars but, took care of them for shit. So Dad never saw the point. Plus, Dad was USAF and we moved seven times in eight years when all us kids were little, so a nice car was never at the top of any list for him.

In 1983 though Dad decided to buy my mom a replacement for her 1977 Olds, not a horrible car for the times, Delta 88, so we went out looking.

At the Cadillac dealership across the river there was a late 1970s Aston Martin V8 Vantage. I couldn't talk him into that for Mom. He didn't like any of the Cadillacs so we ended up at the Lincoln dealership that was across the street for the hospital where Dad worked. So we ended up with a 1983 Town Car. It was fucking huge, and Mom was just a little thing. It was funny.

The best part of the story is that Dad called his guy at Merrill Lynch and told him to shift some money from one account to another so he could write the check for the car. So, Dad gave the the salesman a $20 and wrote a check for the car. About a week later there was a call to the house and it was the dealership asking for Dad. I said, "doctor so & so is not here, may I take a message?". The guy just asked me to have my dad call them, or stop at the dealership. I asked, "what happened, did the check bounce?". The salesman hesitated, and I said, "oh my God, it did bounce". And started laughing.

The Merrill Lynch guy, soon to not be the Merrill Lynch guy for my dad's accounts, did not shift the money from one account to the other so the check did bounce. Dad was pissed. 

12 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

My father never bought a Cadillac as he was not really a car guy. I think he was turned off to it because my grandfather used to buy really nice cars but, took care of them for shit. So Dad never saw the point. Plus, Dad was USAF and we moved seven times in eight years when all us kids were little, so a nice car was never at the top of any list for him.

In 1983 though Dad decided to buy my mom a replacement for her 1977 Olds, not a horrible car for the times, Delta 88, so we went out looking.

At the Cadillac dealership across the river there was a late 1970s Aston Martin V8 Vantage. I couldn't talk him into that for Mom. He didn't like any of the Cadillacs so we ended up at the Lincoln dealership that was across the street for the hospital where Dad worked. So we ended up with a 1983 Town Car. It was fucking huge, and Mom was just a little thing. It was funny.

The best part of the story is that Dad called his guy at Merrill Lynch and told him to shift some money from one account to another so he could write the check for the car. So, Dad gave the the salesman a $20 and wrote a check for the car. About a week later there was a call to the house and it was the dealership asking for Dad. I said, "doctor so & so is not here, may I take a message?". The guy just asked me to have my dad call them, or stop at the dealership. I asked, "what happened, did the check bounce?". The salesman hesitated, and I said, "oh my God, it did bounce". And started laughing.

The Merrill Lynch guy, soon to not be the Merrill Lynch guy for my dad's accounts, did not shift the money from one account to the other so the check did bounce. Dad was pissed. 

My other grandparents only drove Lincolns.  Both of my grandfathers were WWII vets from the Pacific.  The one who died last eventually bought a Kia, and he made sure you knew it was Korean and not Japanese.  I bought a used Toyota in high school and that was met with a fair amount of anger.  I played AAU basketball in high school and we had a tournament in Houston, where my aunt and uncle lived.  Uncle was out of town and my aunt lent me their mid-80’s Town Car.  That was a big fucking car.  We fit the whole team in it.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

And, you would be wrong.

He was a really awesome, and successful, guy. Not an old curmudgeon.

Also in his driveway/garage at the same time were a beautiful SL500, a 300ZX, and a beautiful black Series III Jaguar XJ6

My parents and many relatives were awesome, successful people and not old curmudgeons.  And most of them drove big, cushy Cadillacs.

They would say rough as a cob.  People that owned Cadillacs back then did so for a different reason than people do today. And even if he had those other cars, he probably owned Cadillacs for that exact same reason.  The same reason people started buying Town Cars when Cadillacs got smaller.

Weirdly enough, my parents had a 1977 Delta 88.  They were allowed to exchange it for a 98 with an Oldsmobile engine (a "Rocket Motor").  The Delta 88 had a "GM Corporate" engine, a Chevy 350 and that was the subject of a lawsuit or some such so that people could get their Olds engines.  The irony of that is that the Chevy 350 was a better engine, particularly with 70s emission controls, than the Oldsmobile 350 Rocket Motor.  That was the worst car my parents ever owned.  Mechanically it was "fine," but the silver paint deteriorated in a relatively short time.  They drove Cadillacs for the rest of their lives and they were pretty trouble free for 80s and 90s American cars.  Their last one was a 2003, and it was pretty good, really.

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

My parents and many relatives were awesome, successful people and not old curmudgeons.  And most of them drove big, cushy Cadillacs.

They would say rough as a cob.  People that owned Cadillacs back then did so for a different reason than people do today. And even if he had those other cars, he probably owned Cadillacs for that exact same reason.  The same reason people started buying Town Cars when Cadillacs got smaller.

Weirdly enough, my parents had a 1977 Delta 88.  They were allowed to exchange it for a 98 with an Oldsmobile engine (a "Rocket Motor").  The Delta 88 had a "GM Corporate" engine, a Chevy 350 and that was the subject of a lawsuit or some such so that people could get their Olds engines.  The irony of that is that the Chevy 350 was a better engine, particularly with 70s emission controls, than the Oldsmobile 350 Rocket Motor.  That was the worst car my parents ever owned.  Mechanically it was "fine," but the silver paint deteriorated in a relatively short time.  They drove Cadillacs for the rest of their lives and they were pretty trouble free for 80s and 90s American cars.  Their last one was a 2003, and it was pretty good, really.

An example of my father not caring much about cars is that when the notice came asking him if he wanted to be in that engine lawsuit he just said it was stupid and declined.

We’ll have to disagree about my neighbor’s driving motivation.

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

An example of my father not caring much about cars is that when the notice came asking him if he wanted to be in that engine lawsuit he just said it was stupid and declined.

We’ll have to disagree about my neighbor’s driving motivation.

That's fine, I'm just pointing out how different the buyers have become.  I'm on a couple of fora and there are a few aficianados that own both luxobarges and the modern "sporty" models.  And a few older types (getting harder and harder to distinguish myself from them age-wise) that buy or test drive a newer Cadillac and seem surprised and appalled that it doesn't handle and drive like a land yacht and bemoan the demise of the Sedan Deville and Town Car.  They always get referred to Lexus.

I have to confess, though, that one of the main attractions of a Cadillac is the ability to buy a very gently used one at a very bargain price due to the continued and mostly unjustified early depreciation of American cars.  A one or two year old one is one of the best deals in performance autos you can find.

42 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's fine, I'm just pointing out how different the buyers have become.  I'm on a couple of fora and there are a few aficianados that own both luxobarges and the modern "sporty" models.  And a few older types (getting harder and harder to distinguish myself from them age-wise) that buy or test drive a newer Cadillac and seem surprised and appalled that it doesn't handle and drive like a land yacht and bemoan the demise of the Sedan Deville and Town Car.  They always get referred to Lexus.

I have to confess, though, that one of the main attractions of a Cadillac is the ability to buy a very gently used one at a very bargain price due to the continued and mostly unjustified early depreciation of American cars.  A one or two year old one is one of the best deals in performance autos you can find.

Oh yeah, no worries. I remembered one of his worst Cadillac experiences was after he bought an ill-fated Allanté which led to the SL500 purchase.

I totally agree with you on the crazy depreciation and how good of a deal, relative to other brands, they are now.

• Hook 'Em 1

My dad drove Cadillacs all through eh 80's.  All company cars, the perk of his position.  I think my favorite one he had was the Seville that was silver on top and black on the bottom.  All the rest were white.  His last one was a Fleetwood, man that thing was huge.

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh yeah, no worries. I remembered one of his worst Cadillac experiences was after he bought an ill-fated Allanté which led to the SL500 purchase.
I totally agree with you on the crazy depreciation and how good of a deal, relative to other brands, they are now.

Really thought the ad Buddy Bounce campaign woulda helped sales.

Shame
  • Hook 'Em 1

My dad drove Cadillacs all through eh 80's.  All company cars, the perk of his position.  I think my favorite one he had was the Seville that was silver on top and black on the bottom.  All the rest were white.  His last one was a Fleetwood, man that thing was huge.

I love the 75-78ish Seville’s like this

930c3f9e765aac6db9c32fc268eec890.jpg

Great looking car in an otherwise largely shitty era
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Is it stolen? That car looks to be as expensive as his house. I know nothing about Sachse.

On 5/10/2022 at 8:10 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

Oh, God.  I suppose the Seville somewhat foreshadowed what Cadillac would become and that first one was pretty sweet, for the era.  Some of the later models, and the Allante, and Catera, lawdy mercy.  My parents stuck to Sedan Devilles and they didn't try too much "kinky" stuff with them.  And they continued to have "Cadillac-unique" V8s that were pretty good.  Probably not as good as spending the same kind of money on juicing up a 350, but pretty good.  No V8-6-4, which was an abomination but now common a goose tracks.

When I saw the first CTS, I thought it was neat looking, but figured it would be a raving POS like those.  Then I kind of wanted one, but was too young, I thought.  Wound up buying a 2011 coupe and it was a great car.

Edited by TwiceHorn