The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

You got a similar Ford in mind?

In what sort of parameters? Of all Fords cars in history? They are literally the most successful motor racing company to ever exist but such a stretch there isn't even a second place really. Only Ferrari can attempt to claim runner up. If you want to compare things of their own time, the original GT 500 and Boss 429s were certainly of the same level relative to their peers back then. The GT 40 is one of the most hallowed performance cars of all time. There's basically no circumstance under which that comment makes sense.

4 hours ago, G650 said:

They are literally the most successful motor racing company to ever exist but such a stretch there isn't even a second place really

I have honestly never done the research but curious as to what makes you say this?  LeMans?  Referring to just production cars?

To me at least, it’s hard to say anyone is the most successful since there are so many classes/series.  For instance, one could make an argument that title clearly belongs to Ferrari due to F1.  

21 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

I have honestly never done the research but curious as to what makes you say this?  LeMans?  Referring to just production cars?

To me at least, it’s hard to say anyone is the most successful since there are so many classes/series.  For instance, one could make an argument that title clearly belongs to Ferrari due to F1.  

No, literally all. Ford is the only motor company to win every major motorsports crown, and in multiples. NASCAR, Sportscars, F1, NHRA, Indy, all of them.

ETA: Your second sentence is the very reason there is no one to compete with Ford, as no one has spanned all the different series as they have.

Edited by G650
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, G650 said:

No, literally all. Ford is the only motor company to win every major motorsports crown, and in multiples. NASCAR, Sportscars, F1, NHRA, Indy, all of them.

ETA: Your second sentence is the very reason there is no one to compete with Ford, as no one has spanned all the different series as they have.

That's fair.  I more look at it from which manufacturer dominates a particular series based on where they put their resources.  But, I can see the point.  I still hate mustangs though, just not as much as vettes.

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

nevermind that you can actually purchase a road legal GT (though you might get eaten by an M8)

If you are a celebrity, sign your first born away and re-route your kids inheritance, then, maybe, just maybe, you can buy one....new at least.  

1 hour ago, Atxracer said:

That's fair.  I more look at it from which manufacturer dominates a particular series based on where they put their resources.  But, I can see the point.  I still hate mustangs though, just not as much as vettes.

Yeah I think one of the frustrating things about Ford is they are so mercurial. I don't even look at so much from a pure car enthusiast perspective as much as an engineering enthusiast perspective.  Ford historically has had unparalleled engineering horsepower, and when they put their mind to it can basically do anything. But they are also wont to just let shit die on the vine when it's run it's course. Ferrari is a great example of what Ford can do relative to another power house motorsport company. We all know the GT40 story, but it's important to remember that the gist of it is basically Ford was butthurt by being spurned by Ferrari and essentially went out and kicked Ferraris dicks in for several years in a whim. And that isn't even the worst thing Ford did to Ferrari. The Ford Cosworth DFV is possibly the greatest engine ever created. It won 60% of all F1 races over a 20(!!!) year span putting Ferrari in the wilderness for ages. Plus it won 10 Indy crowns and a few LeMans even. But anyway this is my spiel on Ford Motor Company lol

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, G650 said:

Yeah I think one of the frustrating things about Ford is they are so mercurial. I don't even look at so much from a pure car enthusiast perspective as much as an engineering enthusiast perspective.  Ford historically has had unparalleled engineering horsepower, and when they put their mind to it can basically do anything. But they are also wont to just let shit die on the vine when it's run it's course. Ferrari is a great example of what Ford can do relative to another power house motorsport company. We all know the GT40 story, but it's important to remember that the gist of it is basically Ford was butthurt by being spurned by Ferrari and essentially went out and kicked Ferraris dicks in for several years in a whim. And that isn't even the worst thing Ford did to Ferrari. The Ford Cosworth DFV is possibly the greatest engine ever created. It won 60% of all F1 races over a 20(!!!) year span putting Ferrari in the wilderness for ages. Plus it won 10 Indy crowns and a few LeMans even. But anyway this is my spiel on Ford Motor Company lol

Well, a couple of the problems include that Ford is primarily a consumer-products company, and also a family-controlled but publicly traded corporation.

8 hours ago, G650 said:

In what sort of parameters? Of all Fords cars in history? They are literally the most successful motor racing company to ever exist but such a stretch there isn't even a second place really. Only Ferrari can attempt to claim runner up. If you want to compare things of their own time, the original GT 500 and Boss 429s were certainly of the same level relative to their peers back then. The GT 40 is one of the most hallowed performance cars of all time. There's basically no circumstance under which that comment makes sense.

My comment was “It’s definitely unlike any Mustang ever before, or any Ford for that matter.” You seem to take issue with the “It’s definitely unlike…any Ford for that matter.” And then you started talking about motor racing and old Mustangs and GT40s. The GT500 would eat them all alive. Horsepower, transmission, supercharger, brakes, wheels, in just about every measurable category it’s light years beyond anything Ford has ever produced. Just look at the last GT500.

I’m sure it would have trouble against a John Force funny car at the strip or any number of other race cars, but I was referring to production cars. 

14 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

My comment was “It’s definitely unlike any Mustang ever before, or any Ford for that matter.” You seem to take issue with the “It’s definitely unlike…any Ford for that matter.” And then you started talking about motor racing and old Mustangs and GT40s. The GT500 would eat them all alive. Horsepower, transmission, supercharger, brakes, wheels, in just about every measurable category it’s light years beyond anything Ford has ever produced. Just look at the last GT500.

I’m sure it would have trouble against a John Force funny car at the strip or any number of other race cars, but I was referring to production cars. 

That's why I asked for parameters, because "any Ford" covers a lot of ground.

But at any rate @elfenixoposted the current GT above already, so you are not referring to production cars but have narrowed it down to Mustangs at this point.

ford-gt_100735055.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, G650 said:

That's pretty much everyone these days

Well, neither Ferrari nor Porsche are consumer-products companies except in the broadest sense of the word.  And Porsche's position within VW Group largely frees them from widget-making and from the whims of dissolute Porsche and Piech family members, historically.

That's why I asked for parameters, because "any Ford" covers a lot of ground.

But at any rate [mention=16]elfenix[/mention]oposted the current GT above already, so you are not referring to production cars but have narrowed it down to Mustangs at this point.

ford-gt_100735055.jpg

Lol ok dude

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Lol ok dude

Um, ok?

I mean, I like the GT500, I'm the worlds biggest sucker for anything even remotely tangentially related to Carroll Shelby. But this car is just an iteration of what came before, and Ford has made significantly more serious road cars for eons, so I fail to see your point here.

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

New Datsun Z to debut later this year. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36684224/2022-nissan-400z-debut-announced/

I haven't been a fan of the styling in decades, but this one seems to be getting more back to the roots than anything we've seen in forever.

Not bad.

That profile looks good but every other angle leaves a lot to be desired. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/1/2022 at 11:04 PM, TwiceHorn said:

New Datsun Z to debut later this year. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36684224/2022-nissan-400z-debut-announced/

I haven't been a fan of the styling in decades, but this one seems to be getting more back to the roots than anything we've seen in forever.

Not bad.

My first car was an '81 280zx

This brings major nostalgia to me as it looks more like the original profile than any since the 2nd gen 300zx.  I also love that it comes standard as a standard, I don't know if I'll buy one, but I'll def be making a trip to the dealer to test drive one when they start showing up.

I had a friend growing up whose dad had a "vintage" 240 or 260Z.  We all thought it was pretty cool.

And some of that cachet bled over onto the 280Z, but it was really kind of a bloated 2-door luxobarge by the 80s.  And it just got worse until the 350 or so, at least performance wise.  All of the styling was "uniquely Japanese."

3 hours ago, Okie State said:

My Dad had a 1986 300zx. It was a cool car with some pretty advanced tech for its time. I always liked the older models better though. I did want one of the early 90's twin turbos, but lawn mowing money wasn't enough to buy one.

My Dad did too.  Killer car.  When I met my now wife (no pics) in college she had a 1995 Pearl White 300ZX TT.  That was the first sports car I ever drove and fell in love.  27 years later (wow, I am old) and still randomly search for a Pearl White 1995 300ZX TT on Autotrader and haven't ever found one worth buying.     

Edited by Atxracer
I haz fat fingers
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

All this Nissan Z talk just reminded me of something that hadnt crossed my mind in almost 2 decades. 

Had a college suitemate (dorms shared a bathroom) who was a tremendous douchebag of the utmost degree. And what I say sounds egregious, but totally deserving considering the subject. 

He had just bought a 300ZX, and one weekend night I decided to “steal” it for a joyride. Easy enough - just cross the bathroom and take the keys.  So a friend and I took this bitch from West Campus, down Lamar to some parking lot underneath an overpass, and started doing burnouts and all manners of stupid shit….

…For a good 5 minutes or so until we heard a Bang and the rear tire blew.  Not wanting to ditch the car there, I dispatched my friend to fetch my own car from the dorm. With it, we would limp the Nissan back in a “convoy” with the hazards on, less likely to attract cops than a single car riding on blown tires  

That was terrible calculus, but I was never good at math.  Turns out, cops were probably busy patrolling 6th, and we made it back to WC fine.  In the parking lot, we ran into another friend.  When we had told him what just happened, he asked, “Oh, this is [douches’] car?”, the climbed up on the hood and pissed on the windscreen.

Amazingly, I had never, ever, ever heard about the car “situation” from its owner since.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

My Dad did too.  Killer car.  When I met my now wife (no pics) in college she had a 1995 Pearl White 300ZX TT.  That was the first sports car I ever drove and fell in love.  27 years later (wow, I am old) and still randomly search for a Pearl White 1995 300ZX TT on Autotrader and haven't ever found one worth buying.     

With the tan interior. Was all an timer in high school. 

Gabrielle Anwar in the white T-Tops still makes me tingly 

51983039548_115d1c8432_z.jpg

Edited by ChickenSandwich

2 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Douchebag or not that’s a pretty fucking dickish thing to do.

It totally was. 

A few weeks before that, he had bought a Wrangler, and to show it off to the dormies, he loaded us in the car, proceeded to bounce up and down curbs all the way to Pease Park, where he started doing donuts and tearing up the frisbee golf course. 

Assholeish behavior spread in close quarters what can I say. 

43 minutes ago, G650 said:

One of our buddies in high school had a 240Z with the ignition tumbler stripped out so anyone could just turn it and start it up. We used to randomly move it on him all the time lol.  

Had a friend with an old Gen 1 dodge like that.  We got it on the front steps of the school once.  

14 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Same here but it was a 68 stake bed truck with 3 on the tree. That thing was bad ass. Started with a screwdriver.

Funny thing about that dodge. It would only sometimes turn off with the key. It would sort of diesel out, then start itself back up randomly.  Dude would walk out to his truck after lunch and it would be running again. Was a great beater though, and could go thru tons of mud. 

2 hours ago, G650 said:

One of our buddies in high school had a 240Z with the ignition tumbler stripped out so anyone could just turn it and start it up. We used to randomly move it on him all the time lol.  

Freshman roommate had an 84 CJ that would start with a screw driver. Clutch was the theft deterrent