The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

On 4/2/2022 at 12:04 AM, TwiceHorn said:

New Datsun Z to debut later this year. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36684224/2022-nissan-400z-debut-announced/

I haven't been a fan of the styling in decades, but this one seems to be getting more back to the roots than anything we've seen in forever.

Not bad.

On 4/2/2022 at 12:13 PM, Eugene11 said:

That profile looks good but every other angle leaves a lot to be desired. 

On 4/4/2022 at 9:18 AM, BTW said:

My first car was an '81 280zx

This brings major nostalgia to me as it looks more like the original profile than any since the 2nd gen 300zx.  I also love that it comes standard as a standard, I don't know if I'll buy one, but I'll def be making a trip to the dealer to test drive one when they start showing up.

On 4/4/2022 at 10:16 AM, Okie State said:

I think they're pretty cool looking. Definitely better than the previous 370z bloated turd.

On 4/4/2022 at 10:49 AM, TwiceHorn said:

I had a friend growing up whose dad had a "vintage" 240 or 260Z.  We all thought it was pretty cool.

And some of that cachet bled over onto the 280Z, but it was really kind of a bloated 2-door luxobarge by the 80s.  And it just got worse until the 350 or so, at least performance wise.  All of the styling was "uniquely Japanese."

I really like the profile pictures. I like the roof line. I like the rear end, although it is a bit bland but, there really is only so much you can do there.

I like the hood with its creases. I do not like the front fender and how it gets to the lights and I don't like view from the front.

I have always really liked the 240-280z models.

I think they came close with this but, to me, it is missing something.

My buddy's idiot kid brother did this to their mom's Z about 10 years ago. To give you a hint of what kind of moron this kid is, he tried to tell their parents that he was doing 35 when a deer jumped in front of him. In reality, he was racing another dipshit friend of his in a CTS-V. 

Walked away with nothing but scratches. 

IMAG3624.jpg

• Rage+1 1

On 4/5/2022 at 4:28 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

My buddy's idiot kid brother did this to their mom's Z about 10 years ago. To give you a hint of what kind of moron this kid is, he tried to tell their parents that he was doing 35 when a deer jumped in front of him. In reality, he was racing another dipshit friend of his in a CTS-V. 

Walked away with nothing but scratches. 

IMAG3624.jpg

At least he didn’t get ticketed for no front license plate.  

2 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

Frankly, that’s pretty fucking stupid. Any MB fans who know can just look at the exhaust pipes and know what you have. 

Yeah, and the front grill and air intakes, and the wheels, and probably some other shit that I haven't closely compared side by side. 

But people who don't know MBs that closely won't, and people who only have a general conceptual familiarity with AMG won't.

Regardless, my main motivation is to look more like a generic suburban white guy shithead rather than a dedicated speed demon in order to set a better tone for roadside discussions with law enforcement and better lay the groundwork for the Urkel Defense. And before you point it out, I realize that if they run my registration that they'll see the difference, but they're already writing a ticket at that point anyway. 

Random jerkoff dad who unintentionally got going a little too quickly is more likely to get off with a warning than someone who paid almost twice as much for a hot shit variant. I want maximize the innocuous nature of this car, not advertise that it's an apex predator driven by a lead footed maniac with $4k of speed enforcement countermeasures added on. 

10 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Yeah, and the front grill and air intakes, and the wheels, and probably some other shit that I haven't closely compared side by side. 

But people who don't know MBs that closely won't, and people who only have a general conceptual familiarity with AMG won't.

Regardless, my main motivation is to look more like a generic suburban white guy shithead rather than a dedicated speed demon in order to set a better tone for roadside discussions with law enforcement and better lay the groundwork for the Urkel Defense. And before you point it out, I realize that if they run my registration that they'll see the difference, but they're already writing a ticket at that point anyway. 

Random jerkoff dad who unintentionally got going a little too quickly is more likely to get off with a warning than someone who paid almost twice as much for a hot shit variant. I want maximize the innocuous nature of this car, not advertise that it's an apex predator driven by a lead footed maniac with $4k of speed enforcement countermeasures added on. 

You're not helping your case here. Rebadging your ride isn't getting you out of any tickets. Just like your dumb back the blue license plate isn't doing you any favors except making you stand out as a cop knob slobberer to your fellow motorists.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, royiv said:

Just like your dumb back the blue license plate isn't doing you any favors except making you stand out as a cop knob slobberer to your fellow motorists.

My experience has been quite the opposite, but I selfishly hope that as many other speeders as possible strongly agree with you. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

56 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

No judging here.  But, coming from someone who had the same problem, go to a track and have a blast.  If you do that, it will get it out of your system and you will realize how silly it is to speed on the streets with a bunch of crazies and then none of the radar or de-badging would be necessary.  I used to get a ticket every 6 months to a year and now haven’t had one in forever.  

That said, I have people try to race me all the time.  I always decline because it takes no skill whatsoever to push your right foot down.   Plus, we could all get beat by a no skilled dumbass driving a Tesla.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

Why so many dickhead comments? I thought this was a safe space?

It is, which is why I have refrained. But we also have to be honest with each other and this was pretty silly. A sleeper is a 1979 Ford LTD with full time 4wd grafted underneath with a 700 hp mill yet leaving the original paint and vinyl, not changing a couple badges on a AMG Wagon to absolutely zero effect.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, G650 said:

I think I may have told the story here but I had an old lady with a pomeranian on her lap try to race me once in an Audi SQ5.

Be careful with those old ladies with lap dogs.  They are the real sleepers.  Lol

i had a Urus try to pipe up the 992 the other day.  I’m thinking, yes, you are fast. But. I know how to read motortrend and know how this plays out.  What’s the purpose?

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Atxracer said:

No judging here.  But, coming from someone who had the same problem, go to a track and have a blast.  If you do that, it will get it out of your system and you will realize how silly it is to speed on the streets with a bunch of crazies and then none of the radar or de-badging would be necessary.  I used to get a ticket every 6 months to a year and now haven’t had one in forever.  

That said, I have people try to race me all the time.  I always decline because it takes no skill whatsoever to push your right foot down.   Plus, we could all get beat by a no skilled dumbass driving a Tesla.   

Point taken, and no real disagreement, but for whatever little it's worth, I'm not especially aggressive on surface streets unless it's a limited access area with no possible pedestrians, etc., and I'm downright docile in residential and busy areas. But I am very aggressive on expressways and interstates when there's room to be (not when it's just meaningless weaving around to no effect). These are the locations where I get my tickets, but only when I'm in my wife's car with nothing but a V1 and regular (i.e, non-badge-licking) license plates. 

I certainly didn't expect the level or valence of discourse about all this, but I like having this car seem a little stealthier than it otherwise would with all the AMG badging. The good news is that I don't intend to ever part with it, so it's nobody's problem but mine... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atxracer said:

Be careful with those old ladies with lap dogs.  They are the real sleepers.  Lol

i had a Urus try to pipe up the 992 the other day.  I’m thinking, yes, you are fast. But. I know how to read motortrend and know how this plays out.  What’s the purpose?

I had a Nissan Titan try to take me in the GT350 from the outside lane to a 45 toll on-ramp.  I mean, no?  But good on him for the effort or whatever.  

• Haha 1

Rebadging your car is fucking lame to the max, the fact that you rebadged an AMG to an e350 is even fucking lamer than the other way around, like when people put M badges on their 328/335. It was a bad decision and you should just correct your mistake and debadge it as it costs nothing and makes you look like so much less of an idiot. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, immamac said:

Rebadging your car is fucking lame to the max, the fact that you rebadged an AMG to an e350 is even fucking lamer than the other way around, like when people put M badges on their 328/335. It was a bad decision and you should just correct your mistake and debadge it as it costs nothing and makes you look like so much less of an idiot. 

Cool, thanks for being a cunt about it. 

Much obliged, everyone. 

2 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Cool, thanks for being a cunt about it. 

Much obliged, everyone. 

But he’s absolutely correct. 24 hours later and I still can’t wrap my head around why in the fuck you or anyone else would not just debadge, but underbadge.

It was a horrible decision and if you don’t put the original badges back on, just leave the Tristar. And this is coming from an AMG owner. It makes zero sense. Congrats, you can beat some other fast cars on the line and people will think you put NOS or some other shit under the hood of your v6 350 like people do with their shitty rice burners that can destroy a McLaren off the line. SMH. 

37 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

But he’s absolutely correct. 24 hours later and I still can’t wrap my head around why in the fuck you or anyone else would not just debadge, but underbadge.

It was a horrible decision and if you don’t put the original badges back on, just leave the Tristar. And this is coming from an AMG owner. It makes zero sense. Congrats, you can beat some other fast cars on the line and people will think you put NOS or some other shit under the hood of your v6 350 like people do with their shitty rice burners that can destroy a McLaren off the line. SMH. 

5ced814d7f105?w=290&fit=crop

I think it's a bit silly @Prepuce of Doom   but whatever makes you happy is cool man. Enjoy your whip and don't sweat the grief.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, G650 said:

I think it's a bit silly @Prepuce of Doom   but whatever makes you happy is cool man. Enjoy your whip and don't sweat the grief.

Agreed.  I was more just commenting on racing/being silly on the street with a bunch of crazy soccer moms out there that while you are doing 120 in the left lane, they put on lipstick and accidentally swerve over.  De-badging would probably be the cleaner route since it is more in line with a sleeper than re-badging which is just false advertising.  

And, don’t get me started on people that put M or AMG badges on non M/AMG cars.  

For what it’s worth, I think it would be kind of funny to put “Carrera” on the GT3’s and then whoop GT3 RS’s, Vettes, etc on the track. They would get twisted quick.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

since we’re all chiming in with hot takes, I’ll go.

I’m on the fence on this one.

On the one hand, this dude bought a station wagon which generally indicates he’s soft and resigned to hauling groceries car seats and a golden doodle, but

On the other hand he bought a tear-ass German performance car that can blow the doors off of about 90 percent of the cars on the road, which tends to show he’s got some spunk.

Then, he disguises this car as the slowest version of said soccer mommer, as a subterfuge, so that when he elects to unleash the beast, the shock and surprise of others, likely strangers, will be increased.

He’s a showman.  I think this is somewhat better than the guy that puts a wing and a muffler on a dodge neon.  But probably south of the person that just has a badass car and doesn’t need to try to camouflage it.  

So there, I’ve seen worse, and seen better.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoTex said:

On the one hand, this dude bought a station wagon which generally indicates he’s soft and resigned to hauling groceries car seats and a golden doodle, but

On the other hand he bought a tear-ass German performance car that can blow the doors off of about 90 percent of the cars on the road, which tends to show he’s got some spunk.

Then, he disguises this car as the slowest version of said soccer mommer, as a subterfuge, so that when he elects to unleash the beast, the shock and surprise of others, likely strangers, will be increased.

He’s a showman.  I think this is somewhat better than the guy that puts a wing and a muffler on a dodge neon.  But probably south of the person that just has a badass car and doesn’t need to try to camouflage it.  

That was a well thought out, logical, coherent, calm statement.  You don’t belong here, sir.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

I disagree that it's even remotely worse than rebadging a base model as a performance model. In general I leave the badges alone though. Everyone asks me why I don't rebadge the SS as a Commodore and to be honest, I've been tempted. I decided to just own the shitty gold bowties and roll with it.

That said, I'm a firm believer people should do whatever they want with their own cars.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Agreed.  I was more just commenting on racing/being silly on the street with a bunch of crazy soccer moms out there that while you are doing 120 in the left lane, they put on lipstick and accidentally swerve over.  De-badging would probably be the cleaner route since it is more in line with a sleeper than re-badging which is just false advertising.  
And, don’t get me started on people that put M or AMG badges on non M/AMG cars.  
For what it’s worth, I think it would be kind of funny to put “Carrera” on the GT3’s and then whoop GT3 RS’s, Vettes, etc on the track. They would get twisted quick.  
On the track of would be hilarious.

99.9% of cars on the road. In 6 years with my S6, I have encountered 2 cars faster than me.8

People with Ferraris and McLarens don't drive them very much.

On 4/6/2022 at 10:54 AM, Bert Orange said:

Back in a Porsche. But for the first time a mid engine 718. So much fun to drive and can see why these are so enjoyed on the track vs the rear bias 911. 

I think they are wonderful cars. I know people like to talk down on them but, I drove the 2.5 turbo a few years back and it was a hoot. I also liked the pops coming from the exhaust.

I've not driven the new 4.0L, which seems like an amazing car. Which one are you driving?