The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

For the past year or so, I've been trying to find a toy for under $40K.  This all started when I found someone selling a '97 Supra TT M6 on base for $35K.  I missed out on it but it got the wheels in motion.  Since, I've been trying to find a Supra, NSX, or 997 for under $40K but that's pretty much impossible right now unless you want high mileage.  At my price point, I think I've talked myself into a E46 M3.  Can someone talk me out of this?  I have zero Bimmer experience, but my dad owned an early 00s 7-series and it was a piece of shit.  It would have to be Leguna Seca Blue.

Edited by Assman

An e46 m3 is not a toy.

I don't think it really has an identity or purpose, if it's to be used as a toy.  

I'd say.... restored rx7.  V8 rx7.  V8 Miata.  BMW 2002ti.  635csi or e28 m5.  Elise.  Caterham.  996 gt3.   Lotus esprit.

Those are more special and characterful imo

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Assman said:

For the past year or so, I've been trying to find a toy for under $40K.  This all started when I found someone selling a '97 Supra TT M6 on base for $35K.  I missed out on it but it got the wheels in motion.  Since, I've been trying to find a Supra, NSX, or 997 for under $40K but that's pretty much impossible right now unless you want high mileage.  At my price point, I think I've talked myself into a E46 M3.  Can someone talk me out of this?  I have zero Bimmer experience, but my dad owned an early 00s 7-series and it was a piece of shit.  It would have to be Leguna Seca Blue.

What about a 981 Boxster or a Gen 2 or 3 Viper? Several other options in that range including Cobra or 550 Spyder replicas. Your options above are solid, but lots of interesting ideas for a weekend car where practicality isn't a primary concern for $40k.

I have a 10-second LS1 Z28 that I bought in college that I will never get rid of, so if I want just straight speed, I have that covered.  But I'm in my mid-30s, and a 4th-gen Camaro isn't exactly what I want to be driving to Cars and Coffee.  I want something that is fun, turns heads, that I can drive to work once a week then take the wife out for a date on the weekend.  That's why I was shooting for something a little more exotic and rare that won't completely break the bank. 

I've never been a fan of the 996, but a Viper is intriguing.  I've never been a Mopar fan, and I know Vipers tend to be pieces of shit, but I don't mind turning wrenches.

Here’s a toy parked next to me at the pizza place tonight.

be4becc356002a146e583db882c4ce63.jpg

Notice the badge above the rear quarter. It might could run with your Z28. 

Something is off here. The top looks chopped a little, and it looks weird where the rear quarter window would normally be, and I think the rear wheel wells have been raised for larger tires.

On 8/11/2018 at 11:21 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Here’s a toy parked next to me at the pizza place tonight.

be4becc356002a146e583db882c4ce63.jpg

Notice the badge above the rear quarter. It might could run with your Z28. 

Anyone still rocking a Roots blower is ok in my book.

On 8/11/2018 at 9:29 PM, Assman said:

I have a 10-second LS1 Z28 that I bought in college that I will never get rid of, so if I want just straight speed, I have that covered.  But I'm in my mid-30s, and a 4th-gen Camaro isn't exactly what I want to be driving to Cars and Coffee.  I want something that is fun, turns heads, that I can drive to work once a week then take the wife out for a date on the weekend.  That's why I was shooting for something a little more exotic and rare that won't completely break the bank. 

I've never been a fan of the 996, but a Viper is intriguing.  I've never been a Mopar fan, and I know Vipers tend to be pieces of shit, but I don't mind turning wrenches.

You’re off a generation. Something from the mid-late 60’s is a better fit for that usage.

Strange happenings at Tesla. This Musk guy is a strange dude.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-08-13/elon-musk-gives-tesla-s-wheel-to-saudi-arabia

Six days into Tesla Inc.’s tweetstorm, we’ve reached the valuation-by-semantics stage.

In a blog post Monday morning, CEO Elon Musk wrote he wanted to answer some questions about his surprise announcement last Tuesday regarding taking the company private. But like the board’s belated “ we got this” on Wednesday, Musk’s update lays nothing to rest – and exposes a big risk.

First, the obvious: Why is the world still getting information about the most material of events for Tesla in a piecemeal mix of tweets and blogs rather than a detailed 8-K filing with the SEC?

The bigger issue is the one tackled in a section of Musk’s post titled “Why did I say ‘funding secured’?” Why indeed.

To summarize, Musk claims Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund has approached him several times since early 2017 on the subject of taking Tesla private. At a meeting on July 31 of this year:

On 8/11/2018 at 9:41 AM, Assman said:

I have an e46 M3, and really enjoy it. There are some known issues with the cars that should be monitored, but overall, I really like mine. I've had a couple of 996's and the M3 is a better car. If I was to go for a 997, I'd go for the 2nd generation, due to the engine, but it's a much different price range. Cayman S is worth checking out, as is the e90/92 M3. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

-Jon

Not really interested in a Cayman.  If I went P-car, it would be a 911 no doubt.  And if I went 997, it would be a .2 for sure due to the DI engine and other upgrades. 

The E46 is intriguing, but I've never driven one.  Honestly never been a big Bimmer fan in general but the Leguna Seca Blue E46 will always do something for me.  I haven't driven a stick since probably high school and just miss rowing gears, and the M3 seems like a fun, easy to drive car that I could take out on the weekends.  I could just save my money and wait for the right 911/NSX/Supra, but I live my life one irrational decision at a time, so why not M3?

19 hours ago, Assman said:

Not really interested in a Cayman.  If I went P-car, it would be a 911 no doubt.  And if I went 997, it would be a .2 for sure due to the DI engine and other upgrades. 

The E46 is intriguing, but I've never driven one.  Honestly never been a big Bimmer fan in general but the Leguna Seca Blue E46 will always do something for me.  I haven't driven a stick since probably high school and just miss rowing gears, and the M3 seems like a fun, easy to drive car that I could take out on the weekends.  I could just save my money and wait for the right 911/NSX/Supra, but I live my life one irrational decision at a time, so why not M3?

Am I wrong, or is an e46 M3 way under $40k? I agree, they look great and could be a future classic, but I think I'd enjoy the wail of the V8 in the e9x.

Can you find a C7 or C6 Z06 for around $40k? Or get a little crazy and get an LSx RX-7? Damn so many interesting choices for cars if you don't have to daily!

Good luck in your search.

20 hours ago, Assman said:

Don't know how set you would be on 997.2 vs 997.1, but it looks like the earlier 997s (non-turbo) are in your price range.

My E34 was the best car I’ve ever owned.

15 hours ago, drewlaws said:

Am I wrong, or is an e46 M3 way under $40k? I agree, they look great and could be a future classic, but I think I'd enjoy the wail of the V8 in the e9x.

Can you find a C7 or C6 Z06 for around $40k? Or get a little crazy and get an LSx RX-7? Damn so many interesting choices for cars if you don't have to daily!

Good luck in your search.

e46 M3 can be from mid-teens to mid-30k, depending on what condition/mileage you're looking for. The e90's are only about $5k more for similar examples from what I'm seeing. It's all about what you want from a car. I've driven both and prefer the e46, as the e90 just feels too big/heavy for the engine. I had the chance to drive an e90 M3 and e39 M5 back to back, and the M5 was a better car, IMO.

Regarding how reliable the M3 is, you just need to be prepared to cover the cost of preventive maintenance, and do it up front, rather than wait for it to break. Replace the cooling system at 90-100k miles, rather than having it fail while your driving, and risk a blown head gasket. Replace the suspension at 90k, so that the car doesn't feel like an 80's Cadillac. Replace fluids at regular intervals, and just keep on top of things, and it should run for quite a while. If you do like to wrench yourself, they aren't bad to work on. You just need to add some extra tools to your kit, as the Germans love messing around with fasteners (torx, reverse torx, etc.).

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

e46 isn't really powerful by modern standard, isn't lightweight by analog-era standard.

it's basically the same performance as a 240i. Why not get that and have warranty instead ?

For me, the answer is because it's a "modern classic" with the last true I6 Motorsport engine that BMW made. It's the best balance between the lighter, smaller, more manual cars of old and the newer more plush BMW's. I take my cars to the track, so turbo engines don't appeal to me for the long haul. To each his own, but for me it was the right platform after testing many other cars, old and new. 

On 8/11/2018 at 8:29 PM, Assman said:

Another car that comes to mind is a C6 Z06.  Incredible performance bargain.  the downside is that you're driving a Corvette.

On 8/11/2018 at 9:41 AM, Assman said:

It isn’t a toy and you’re having a tough time finding a 997 that fits the bill you might consider a cayman s. There should be many nice ones in that price range. That said, I’d rather have a 911 that had been driven a good bit. Those are the cars that have few problems and stay on the road. The garage queens that never get driven are the ones that generally become troublesome. As for BMW, I am a former multi car BMW owner: 1998 540i, 1996 325, 2006 x5 v8, 2013 x5m, and a few others. The x5m and the 2006 x5 ensures I will never, ever buy another of their vehicles under any circumstances.  That isn’t really analogous to an E46 m3, but I don’t trust them at this point. E46 is one of the best looking cars ever made. 

22 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

The x5m and the 2006 x5 ensures I will never, ever buy another of their vehicles under any circumstances.  That isn’t really analogous to an E46 m3, but I don’t trust them at this point. E46 is one of the best looking cars ever made. 

That's interesting. I had a 2008 4.8i and have a new F85 X5M and have had almost zero issues. I put 200k on the 4.8i too, just had to do valve seals at 175k.

1 hour ago, zman13 said:

Anyone have a Kia Stinger? Test drove one recently and it was a lot of fun sealed inside a 4 door sedan.

I believe Penelope Witherspoon has one.  Looks like a fun car, but once you get up in the $50k price range, there are a lot of options.  I'm not sure how compelling it is when you look at what else you can get for the same money.

But if you like it, get it.