The Last of Us coming to HBO

rage-a-holic

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
6 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Pedro is absolutely perfect for that role, and that little girl can nail the hard ass role as well.

Perfect casting. In!

Gonna have to disagree there. Bella Ramsey is an ugly little monster and I'm skeptical about her keeping up the repartee with Pedro. 

Some of the best parts of the game involved all the mindless banter from Ashley Johnson.

• 4 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, futureman said:

looks very cool but I don't know anything about the franchise.  is this zombies?  monsters?  post-nuclear war?

Clickers. Viral brain-eating fungus that mutates you. Post-everything. Story begins in Austin.

Edited by Herpa Derpa
click click click
  • Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, futureman said:

looks very cool but I don't know anything about the franchise.  is this zombies?  monsters?  post-nuclear war?

Fungal infection. People breathe in the spores and become feral and hyper-aggressive. As the infection progresses, they become more and more mutated.

tlou2-infected-stages.jpg

The game and show are set something like 2 decades after the initial wave. About 2/3 humanity has died off and everything has gone to hell. Survivors live under martial law. Persons suspected of infection are summarily executed by the military. Rebel groups ambush soldiers....etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"Official" 2-minute long trailer released over the weekend. I'll refrain from posting it here b/c it has quite a big spoiler (if you haven't played the game) that seems like something completely unnecessary to have spoiled in a trailer.

That aside, it looks good, and cool to see they included roles for Ashley Johnson and Troy Baker (the main voice and motion capture actors from the game).

"Official" 2-minute long trailer released over the weekend. I'll refrain from posting it here b/c it has quite a big spoiler (if you haven't played the game) that seems like something completely unnecessary to have spoiled in a trailer.
That aside, it looks good, and cool to see they included roles for Ashley Johnson and Troy Baker (the main voice and motion capture actors from the game).
Are they clickers? That'd be kinduva fun gig.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, bernorange said:

Following the story from the game closely.  Casting choices working.  Great start.

Really enjoyed the shot of the Texas road signs when they're initially fleeing that was directly from the game. Was a fun start to the game for obvious biases and happy to see it made the adaptation.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Never got around to playing the game but enjoyed the first ep.  Typical end of world shit.  Worst scenario with fast moving 'zombies'....unlike the slow regarded ones. 

Gabe Luna who plays Tommy went to my high school (year younger than me). Also plays Ghost Rider in the SHIELD series, and as the bad Rev-9 Terminator in Dark Fate.

• Hook 'Em 3

I'm not a gamer so I have to treat it as simply a TV show. The preface and 2003 stuff was really well done. After that I just got Fear the Walking Dead vibes. Yeah we get it, the true enemies are the surviving humans. Cast and reviews are good enough I guess I won't bail just yet.

I don't think it's a spoiler to mention that the story is really about the relationship that developes between Joel and Ellie through their journey together.  It may take place in a now familiar zombie world environment, but the show is really about something more basic and human.

The video game pushed the bounds of the genre by immersing players in a story with real/believable characters.  The journey has action, suspense and such, but it's the well developed characters that really give it gravitas.

• Hook 'Em 1

I really gotta watch this shit one week at a time all the way through mid-March? What are we, cavemen?

Gonna be fun watching this as someone who has played both games multiple times vs my wife who went in totally blind.

Presuming the show does well enough to get renewed, was curious about how many seasons they could do without totally abandoning the source material, but then I saw this article from Paul Tassi (Forbes' resident gaming/TV reviewer) which presents a pretty feasible roadmap.

My theory is that the plan here is to turn The Last of Us not into just a video game phenomenon, but a cultural phenomenon, and as such, that will mean that Naughty Dog’s next major game is in fact going to be The Last of Us Part 3. Here’s what I think will happen

• The Last of Us season 1, covering the first game – Arrives in early 2023
  • The Last of Us season 2, covering half the second game – Arrives in early-mid 2024
  • The Last of Us season 3, covering the other half of the second game – Arrives in mid-late 2025
  • The Last of Us Part 3 arrives in 2026 on PlayStation 5, in time for a 1-2 season adaptation for HBO starting in 2026 as well.

Now, in the run-up to the release of The Last of Us on HBO, Druckmann has said outright that there’s “more story to tell” and that he’s structuring the writer’s room of his next game like a TV show.

And the timing works. The Last of Us was out in June 2013. The Last of Us Part 2 was out in June 2020. So sure, a potential 2026 release date for The Last of Us Part 3 lines up pretty well, and would align with the apparent plans for the HBO show as well.

Edited by Storm the Field

I like it. I especially like the casting of Jess who really fits what I thought that character should have been all along. I'll definitely be watching this one through. It's a fairly quick story if it follows the game, which it seems to be doing.

• Hook 'Em 1