Need a Casserole

So, due to quarantine, I have pulled out my Julia Child volumes and started to cook at home again.

One of my favorite receipes is the chicken breasts in cream (the paprika and onion one is great, as is the mushrooms).  When I moved, I got rid of a lot of my heavy cookware.  

I have a really great stovetop casserole.  However, it has a glass lid, and I am not going to put that in the oven.  

Anyone have recommendations on a good casserole?  Looking at a Le Creuset, but not sure I want to spend the $200 on it.  

Help!

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So, due to quarantine, I have pulled out my Julia Child volumes and started to cook at home again.

One of my favorite receipes is the chicken breasts in cream (the paprika and onion one is great, as is the mushrooms).  When I moved, I got rid of a lot of my heavy cookware.  

I have a really great stovetop casserole.  However, it has a glass lid, and I am not going to put that in the oven.  

Anyone have recommendations on a good casserole?  Looking at a Le Creuset, but not sure I want to spend the $200 on it.  

Help!

Lodge.  Otherwise, SLT has a $99 Le Creuset special they sometimes list.  It's a perfect size for cutting recipes in half.  

https://www.surlatable.com/le-cresuset-soliel-oval-french-oven-675qt/PRO-1029552.html?cgid=SCA-428034#start=14

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Help!

They are pricey, but you can’t go wrong with Le Creuset or Staub.  Last forever, cook evenly.

Help!

If you need to cover it in the oven just use aluminum foil

10 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Help!

If you have a Tuesday Morning near you..  they had a ton of that stuff for cheap.  Le Creuset included.   Downside: you have to go to a Tuesday Morning

Tuesday Morning is where we got our Le Creuset knockoff many many years ago.  Fraction of the price and still going strong, I don't know, maybe 20 years?  Also got a large cast iron enameled knockoff dutch oven, which is probably my favorite piece of cookware.

if no Tuesday Morning, then Ross and TJ Maxx and Marshall's sometimes have them, too.

But if none of that works for you, if all stores are closed, then a Lodge should work fine.  All of my camping cast iron is Lodge and it's sturdy and quality.

1 hour ago, next2naus said:

Stop being a cheapskate. get the nice dish, it will last and the monies you are not spending on dining out will offset the purchase price. 

sur la table is having a 45% off sale on le creuset right now with free shipping.  

i use my le creuset braiser for all kinds of stuff including casseroles, and it is money.   2.25 Q version now $179 (reg. $249).  baking/casserole dishes also on sale

• Like 3

The Staub 4qt do very often go on sale at the $99 price. I know they've been there at most retailers during the last 3 Black Fridays. They're nice. If you're into kitchen quirks, the little replacement knobs they sell that are cast in the shape of various animals are a fun touch (for extra money).

1 hour ago, Sam Lin said:

The Staub 4qt do very often go on sale at the $99 price. I know they've been there at most retailers during the last 3 Black Fridays. They're nice. If you're into kitchen quirks, the little replacement knobs they sell that are cast in the shape of various animals are a fun touch (for extra money).

Wife has the larger Staubs. She wants the smaller ones for artisan bread.  There's an offer for a free animal/fish/rooster knob if you spend $200 on the cookware. Yesterdays total - $199.96

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2020 at 5:44 PM, Dewey said:

Tuna noodle casserole,  not sure how many cans of tuna, but it's legit. 

Mac and cheese (Velveeta) 1 box

Tuna - 1 large can drained

Green peas - 1 small bad frozen (cook them a bit before adding)

Sauteed onions chopped

Mix all together

Crushed potato chips for the top

Bake

Boom

Cheap, delicious and kids will generally eat this.

6 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Mac and cheese (Velveeta) 1 box

Tuna - 1 large can drained

Green peas - 1 small bad frozen (cook them a bit before adding)

Sauteed onions chopped

Mix all together

Crushed potato chips for the top

Bake

Boom

Cheap, delicious and kids will generally eat this.

Now that’s Midwest

11 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I second the Lodge. I have not noticed any difference from Staub or LeC and it’s a fraction of the price. I use the Lodge casserole all the time and it was only $70.

This is what I don’t understand.  Why spend money on a name brand when that’s all you’re paying for?  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

This is what I don’t understand.  Why spend money on a name brand when that’s all you’re paying for?  

I much prefer the Staub to my Lodge. Over time, the enamel became discolored and it even finally started to weirdly become unevenly rough inside. The Staub is black and textured, alleviating both problems. I paid $99 versus like $60-a bargain for a superior product.

26 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I much prefer the Staub to my Lodge. Over time, the enamel became discolored and it even finally started to weirdly become unevenly rough inside. The Staub is black and textured, alleviating both problems. I paid $99 versus like $60-a bargain for a superior product.

Well black and textured wins every time.  I yield to your experience, hope you never go back.😂

• Haha 1

Staub 4qt down to $84 after coupon (77ea if you buy 2 and follow the deal instructions with a filler item), is the lowest I've seen it. Agreed the white looks the best, I have white and red.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13985555-staub-4-quart-round-cocotte-cast-iron-dutch-oven-4-colors-84-free-s-h?src=SiteSearch

4 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

This applies to damn near any purchase. Buy what you feel is the best value for you.

Edited by Sam Lin

Casting iron is casting iron.  Because the pot is so thick, differences in qualities of casting (grain consistency, voids, thickness variation, etc) doesn't affect actual heating at the cooking surface.  And then there's the enameling process which is mostly cosmetic.  It's definitely what the Le Creuset and Staub big boys market on -- "we make our pots really pretty".

The enameling itself is not a nonstick surface.  White enamel helps you view the fond (and Staubs are black so you cant see anything).  If it chips or scratches, what you have at worst is a raw cast iron pan.  And besides cocottes aren't used for delicate cooking.

TLDR if the base is flat, and lid fits well, and handle is heat resistance, you've got a good cocotte.  I use Staub but I've also beat on some Emeril Lagasse branded Chinese unit for years and it works just as well

7 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Staub 4qt down to $84 after coupon (77ea if you buy 2 and follow the deal instructions with a filler item), is the lowest I've seen it. Agreed the white looks the best, I have white and red.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13985555-staub-4-quart-round-cocotte-cast-iron-dutch-oven-4-colors-84-free-s-h?src=SiteSearch

This applies to damn near any purchase. Buy what you feel is the best value for you.

And thank you.  Knew about the For You code, but didn't know they had the cocotte. Thanks for the heads up.  Ordered this and got Avios from BA all at the same time.  With tax, was 92 and change.

On 3/30/2020 at 9:48 AM, next2naus said:

Stop being a cheapskate. get the nice dish, it will last and the monies you are not spending on dining out will offset the purchase price. 

This post is hilarious to anyone who's met Penolope in real life. Cheapskate...haha, no. The woman probably farts expensive french perfume. 

• Like 2