Chili w/o beans

Dutch

6 minutes ago, LonghornBreeder said:

I'm posting here this afternoon because I'm deep in my feels after losing a chili cook-off. The actual event carried no prize, no prestige and no particular weight in my life. But the reason I'm shook is that out of 6 entrants, the top two winners were a white chicken chili and a chicken chili Verde.

It's hilarious to me that so-called "purists" and cookoff impressarios have conducted a jihad against beans even while they welcomed bolognese sauce, lentil stews and "white chicken chili" (whatever that is) in the front door. Never mind that beans have been an optional part of real Texas Chili since the Chili queens themselves used them to stretch their meagre supply of half-turned meat trimmings. 

Corn Chowder? Now that's what I call Chili!

3 hours ago, LonghornBreeder said:

I'm posting here this afternoon because I'm deep in my feels after losing a chili cook-off. The actual event carried no prize, no prestige and no particular weight in my life. But the reason I'm shook is that out of 6 entrants, the top two winners were a white chicken chili and a chicken chili Verde.

This will teach you to avoid chili cookoffs in Minnesota.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, LonghornBreeder said:

image.jpeg.44ff635cafa0e785a13ff9c89bc47a5c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Many years back, I knew better but was goaded by my coworkers into entering a chili cookoff at work.  This was in Austin, but it's a large multinational corporation and most of the employees are not from Austin, or even Texas.  Many are international.

Suffice to say my bowl of delicious Texas red did not win, place, or show.

The winner was a vegetarian 3-bean chili, and the runner-up was some kind of chicken dish, pretty sure it was  a curry.

Just now, utee94 said:

Many years back, I knew better but was goaded by my coworkers into entering a chili cookoff at work.  This was in Austin, but it's a large multinational corporation and most of the employees are not from Austin, or even Texas.  Many are international.

The winner was a vegetarian 3-bean chili, and the runner-up was some kind of chicken dish, pretty sure it was  a curry.

My firm had a Super Bowl party this year with a chili cook off. We’re a local firm, so thankfully most of the entries and judges aren’t idiots (though we had a couple chicken and veggie entries, and those employees are currently under performance review). I got second place, and the winner was a legit Texas red that I conceded blew mine away. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, utee94 said:

That's what happens when you let women in the workplace. 

• Haha 2

Ugh that is the worse. My wife asked me to cook chili for her work's competition so that she could win and I laughed. These things aren't meant for real chili.

Anyway, real deal cookoff this weekend. I keep saying I gotta get first after the 2nd finish last year, and I want it, but I'll take a call. But no really I need first.  

• Hook 'Em 1

You should have just made a fish head soup or a son of a bitch stew with a bunch of guts and innards.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

8 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

A proper sob stew includes the marrow gut of an unweaned calf. It’s basically a tube between two of a cow’s stomachs filled with partially digested milk and another substance of “marrow gut”. Never saw it.

don’t Gringo my tripa tacos

fucking puto 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Any of you guys ever throw a small amount of brown sugar in your recipe? Seems at least two of the last four terlingua winners have done it, toward the end. Obviously comp chili out in terlingua's gunna be more powder based etc.. than what a lot of you guys are doing with the dry chilies etc..., but I'm sure it'd apply across the spectrum of serious chili flavor for the most part.

I know we use a bit of regular sugar to cut into homemade spaghetti sauce etc.., just never thought about brown sugar in chili. 

don’t Gringo my tripa tacos
fucking puto 

I believe the tripe and marrow gut are two different parts of the anatomy.

I don’t know where you think SOB stew is some white bread concoction. It’s elemental to early ranching. Guts don’t keep, you throw em all in a pot with chilies and whatever you got. Vaqueros made it on the range. You do the same thing at hog killin time.

Now go fuck yourself

54 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Any of you guys ever throw a small amount of brown sugar in your recipe? Seems at least two of the last four terlingua winners have done it, toward the end. Obviously comp chili out in terlingua's gunna be more powder based etc.. than what a lot of you guys are doing with the dry chilies etc..., but I'm sure it'd apply across the spectrum of serious chili flavor for the most part.

I know we use a bit of regular sugar to cut into homemade spaghetti sauce etc.., just never thought about brown sugar in chili. 

I haven't.  The only reason I would entertain adding brown sugar would be if the close to finished chili turned out way too bitter.

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

I like a little sweetness in my chili too but I add finely grated carrot when I'm sweating my onions.

• Hook 'Em 1

Most work or neighborhood chili cookoffs rarely have any specific rules so it seems that non-traditional "chili" recipes tend to do better.

I won a chili cookoff 2 years ago with a goat/axis curry chili (still no beans).  Served it with garlic naan.  It was great but you get the picture.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, huge said:

Most work or neighborhood chili cookoffs rarely have any specific rules so it seems that non-traditional "chili" recipes tend to do better.

I won a chili cookoff 2 years ago with a goat/axis curry chili (still no beans).  Served it with garlic naan.  It was great but you get the picture.

That's so funny you say that. The chili I submitted in the story above could be described as a Southwestern Curry. I went heavy on the cumin, added some cinnamon and clove, and finished it with a heaping spoon of peanut butter. To me it was very outside the box and something that would stand out in a chili cook-off. Little did I know someone would have the balls to call pureed chicken Verde enchiladas a pot of chili.

If I'm adding sugar to a savory dish, it's almost always to counteract excessive bitterness from tomatoes.  So, if your chili has tomatoes -- not strictly traditional for a Texa Red but pretty common -- then brown sugar might help out, particularly if the tomatoes are from a can.

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

If I'm adding sugar to a savory dish, it's almost always to counteract excessive bitterness from tomatoes.  So, if your chili has tomatoes -- not strictly traditional for a Texa Red but pretty common -- then brown sugar might help out, particularly if the tomatoes are from a can.

My comp has 12oz tomato sauce for 3lbs of meat, but it gets drowned out quick. I just know that first spoonful always hits my chest like a train. After that it's smooth sailing.

9 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I believe the tripe and marrow gut are two different parts of the anatomy.

I don’t know where you think SOB stew is some white bread concoction. It’s elemental to early ranching. Guts don’t keep, you throw em all in a pot with chilies and whatever you got. Vaqueros made it on the range. You do the same thing at hog killin time.

Now go fuck yourself

Your comments often provide a, uh, ... interesting texture to this board, sir.

10th of 63. Eh. Our ribs did get 3rd tho

Were the 9 ahead of you actual red chili or things like tuna fish soup or soybean cake vegan shit?

If yours was 10th that looks fucking perfect and if the others were red as well I’d love to taste the top 10. Did you sample any of the others?

I might have spotted the issue looking at your ingredients. I’m not getting the feels for mini pumpkins in my chili.

39 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Were the 9 ahead of you actual red chili or things like tuna fish soup or soybean cake vegan shit?

If yours was 10th that looks fucking perfect and if the others were red as well I’d love to taste the top 10. Did you sample any of the others?

I might have spotted the issue looking at your ingredients. I’m not getting the feels for mini pumpkins in my chili.

Didn’t get to sample any others, again. Most people don’t do the “silly” chilis, though. Got 2nd last year with pretty much the same recipe. Just chalk it up to some good cookers.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

I tried it. Was fine (tasted like chili), but the beef is just better.

We got 2lbs each in this batch today. Will report back. Can’t remember the exact numbers of peppers but we have close to 2/2/1 with guajillos/New Mexico/ancho. Threw in 2 puya and floating two serranos. Prolly let them pop for heat since the last batch was a 0-2 on the heat scale.

• Hook 'Em 1