Chili w/o beans

Dutch

Huh. That's probably about right. The only respectable way to eat that shit, imo, is pastistio or moussaka. And neither belong on the chili thread. 
pastitsio-17-600.jpg

I agree with you. I was just trying to help a brother who seemed like he was being forced to eat that garbage.

I worked for a company that had a branch in Indy. I was there for a week and they were having a chili cook off. They asked me to make a pot of Texas chili so I brought all my fancy Pendery’s s chiles and such. I didn’t place. Lost to a bean soup the called vegetarian chili and a chicken mango chili and neither had any form of chile in them unless you count the bell pepper in them. I also lost to a batch of hamburger, ketchup, a pack of taco seasoning soup.

Chili szn is basically here and I gotta get cranking for the competition here in a couple of months. Got 2nd out of 69 last year and I dunno what I need to do to get 1st, if anything, other than cross my fingers that more folks in that tent filling their gobs see things my way. Thinking I might soak a whole seeded bell pepper in it during the initial cook but who tf knows. May just stick to my guns and hope the nice old lady who finished 1st ahead of me passed away peacefully in her sleep at some point this past year. I kid, I kid. Probably.

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Did you taste the winner’s chili? Are the judges the same? That would give you direction. Or the old lady took out her teeth and gave out a few helmet buffs.

There's semi-consistency with the judging, so that could help. As for tasting the winner's chili, it was 8PM when we found out the winners. It was dark. We were drunk. We were waiting for calls on other entries. By the time I got a chance to look I couldn't find her. Gunna try to find her this year early on.

I've also ran into knowing the folks who got 5th, as they happen to own the bar I started playing Sunday pool tournaments at about six months ago. They're pretty cool people and we get along well, and they cook food on Sundays so hopefully I get to try theirs. Not sure if they know I got 2nd yet or not, 'cos I haven't told them I did, and not sure if they recognized me.

Edited by UncleBuck

• 3 weeks later...

Trying this whole “no beans” thing.

88de5827126edc3bd9fb8776c656091d.jpg

3f17aa4a68720db5acf31a49538a4fd4.jpg

a917a27af857a25bb1b8fc9a13452174.jpg

Sautéed onions, shallots, garlic, red bells, japs, poblanos, and celery in the Dutch oven. Fried up bacon. Cubed some ribeyes and seared them in the bacon grease. Dump all of that in with the veggies along with the chopped bacon. Dumped in a beer and a jar of canned tomato purée that was seasoned with chili powder and cumin.

Gonna get it up to a simmer and then set on my pellet grill at the lowest setting and let it sit all damn day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’m legitimately curious why it’s universally viewed as outside the chili realm. The bacon? The ribeye? The celery? It’s, meat, onions, peppers, tomato purée, chili powder, and cumin at its bones.

It definitely will be at a stew consistency after 6 hours on the smoker.

No carrots.

Onions, shallots, garlic, jalapeños, poblanos, red bell peppers, celery. Celery is the only part that would be out of the norm, IMO.

I want hard on the veggie amount to fill in for the lack of beans.

It’s all the vegetables for one thing. Carrots? Do I see carrots? It looks like a solid stew though. Hope you have some good bread for it.

Actually gonna grill hot dogs from my local locker and have chili dogs today, and leftover chili/stew for awhile after that.

That’s not chili but it looks like a great chili inspired stew. For slow cooking I would not waste ribeyes in this or any braised slow cooked dish; just cube up a chuck roast. Red bell pepper and celery are chili outliers but okay in a stew. I would skip cooking outside and dump it in a crockpot for 6 hours or so. At the end if you want to add a couple drained cans of pintos add them if you like. Adjust your seasonings at three hours as you’ll probably need more chile and cumin and granulated garlic.

No carrots.

Onions, shallots, garlic, jalapeños, poblanos, red bell peppers, celery. Celery is the only part that would be out of the norm, IMO.

I want hard on the veggie amount to fill in for the lack of beans.

Actually gonna grill hot dogs from my local locker and have chili dogs today, and leftover chili/stew for awhile after that.

I personally never put bell peppers in chili.
  • Like 1

I personally never put bell peppers in chili.

I never have before but they were in the fridge, and I wanted them used up.
That’s not chili but it looks like a great chili inspired stew. For slow cooking I would not waste ribeyes in this or any braised slow cooked dish; just cube up a chuck roast. Red bell pepper and celery are chili outliers but okay in a stew. I would skip cooking outside and dump it in a crockpot for 6 hours or so. At the end if you want to add a couple drained cans of pintos add them if you like. Adjust your seasonings at three hours as you’ll probably need more chile and cumin and granulated garlic.

I’ve cooked it outside many times. I prefer that to a crock pot

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Where's the cutoff?  

Serrano -- ok

Jalapeno -- ok

New Mexico / Hatch -- ok

Poblano -- ok?

Anaheim -- er ok?

Bell pepper -- no ok?

One of you top chefs explain what the reason would be for using bell pepper? It’s not much less spicy than Poblano is it?

20 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

One of you top chefs explain what the reason would be for using bell pepper? It’s not much less spicy than Poblano is it?

Well, I wouldn't use a bell pepper because I don't particularly like the flavor.  As far as spiciness goes, I've never had a bell pepper with any heat whatsoever.  I've had some poblanos that surprised me.

I just think it's getting a little finicky to scold someone for dropping some bell peppers in their chili.  Is it Texas chili?  No.  It ain's spaghetti, cinnamon, or chocolate, either.

55 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, I wouldn't use a bell pepper because I don't particularly like the flavor.  As far as spiciness goes, I've never had a bell pepper with any heat whatsoever.  I've had some poblanos that surprised me.

I just think it's getting a little finicky to scold someone for dropping some bell peppers in their chili.  Is it Texas chili?  No.  It ain's spaghetti, cinnamon, or chocolate, either.

Oh I wasn’t scolding, hope it didn’t come across that way. Legit wondering the reason for it which you answered.

If you were doing bell peeper though it wouldn’t be dried and rehydrated like chilis, it would be fresh right? What’s that do on the flavor side.

Prolly do our first chili of the season next Friday with the cold weather. Can’t wait.

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

If you were doing bell peeper though it wouldn’t be dried and rehydrated like chilis, it would be fresh right?

Definitely.  That said, there are plenty of fresh peppers in "legit" chili (like I mentioned, serrano, jalapeno, maybe hatch/NM, poblano).  What's the difference?  I like a fresh pepper flavor in chili, particularly serrano and poblano.

What’s that do on the flavor side.

For green bell peppers, I'd expect a grassy note, which I'm not real fond of.  I mean, put some asparagus in there if that's what you're going for.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I’m legitimately curious why it’s universally viewed as outside the chili realm. The bacon? The ribeye? The celery? It’s, meat, onions, peppers, tomato purée, chili powder, and cumin at its bones..

Look at the color of your picture compared to anastasis'.   see what's missing?  it's the red.  i dont mind the bell peppers, but the celery and bacon were a tad off.  mainly it was inssufficient chili powder, imho.

23 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I’m legitimately curious why it’s universally viewed as outside the chili realm. The bacon? The ribeye? The celery? It’s, meat, onions, peppers, tomato purée, chili powder, and cumin at its bones.

It definitely will be at a stew consistency after 6 hours on the smoker.

The extra ingredients is part of it (though my apologies for thinking you had green beans and carrots in there).  To me though, it's really the lack of incorporation of ingredients.  Among "purists" (a loaded term that doesn't even have a true consensus), I think there's an expectation that, when you look at a finished chili, all you see is essentially beef in what looks like a red gravy- regardless of whether you're using fresh ingredients or powders.

@1978horn offered a beautiful example of this on the last page.

image.png.4b595c0952aba3dcde7e69bc5b3471b6.png

That was my take on it anyway.  Who knows, and -more importantly-  who the fuck cares?  Was it delicious? 

I used to be "that guy" who would run with purist takes based on rudimentary knowledge of standards and quality ("Don't put beans in chili"; "Never let soap even touch your cast iron"; "Quality beer must be stored in a bottle", etc.).  Now I apply a simpler approach.... "Did it work" and "Was it good". 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

The extra ingredients is part of it (though my apologies for thinking you had green beans and carrots in there).  To me though, it's really the lack of incorporation of ingredients.  Among "purists" (a loaded term that doesn't even have a true consensus), I think there's an expectation that, when you look at a finished chili, all you see is essentially beef in what looks like a red gravy- regardless of whether you're using fresh ingredients or powders.
[mention=126]1978horn[/mention] offered a beautiful example of this on the last page.
image.png.4b595c0952aba3dcde7e69bc5b3471b6.png

That was my take on it anyway.  Who knows, and -more importantly-  who the fuck cares?  Was it delicious? 
I used to be "that guy" who would run with purist takes based on rudimentary knowledge of standards and quality ("Don't put beans in chili"; "Never let soap even touch your cast iron"; "Quality beer must be stored in a bottle", etc.).  Now I apply a simpler approach.... "Did it work" and "Was it good". 

Yep. Didn’t look like he was making a bowl of red. But I’d probably happily eat what he DID make.
I often make a “quick chili” at home for the family. We try to eat healthier when we can. I use ground Turkey, chunky stewed tomatoes, and beans. It’s still red and chili-flavored, but it departs materially from the traditional chili rules. Don’t care, it’s healthier and we all like it on a cold evening.
Other times, I make a classic pot of red. Do what you like.