Jump to content

Chili w/o beans


Dutch

Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Just saw on DDD someone make jerk chili. They added in some bullshit like beans, bell peppers, tomatoes but I was intrigued by that spice blend going into how you'd prep a traditional Texas red. 

That non-chili dish sounds tasty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just saw on DDD someone make jerk chili. They added in some bullshit like beans, bell peppers, tomatoes but I was intrigued by that spice blend going into how you'd prep a traditional Texas red. 

Sounds like a goddam workplace “chili” potluck up in here
Link to comment
Share on other sites

heavy on the cascabels and guajillos if you want really red, i'd go with those as my base chilis.  .  ancho, pasilla and mulato will make it darker (they're also a bit raisiny, and add deep flavor).  chipotle will add smokiness (these are dried using smoke).

puya will add some heat and fruitiness, with pequins and arbols being hotter. 

tepin, aji amarillo, and habanero if you want to make your butthole burn out. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

90380e6ef1fdd01d31b6dfd555e01df6.jpg


Threw some shit together on the fly. Wife wanted chili and I didn’t want to drive all the way in to town to get the finer ingredients, and she married me for my looks anyways so it’s all good. All powders and no fresh ingredients. No peppers to float. Luckily we have a beer barn out here so I snagged a sixer of Ziegen to sub for the beef broth. Wife didnt complain.

  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When it's icy, and the grocery store is closed, and you need to cook something on the stove for hours with no electricity. Just make some...

Shit I had Around the House Chili.

Ground beef (cause that's what I had)
Chipotles in Adobo
Diced tomatoes and green chiles
Tomato Paste
Onion
Garlic
Red Bell Pepper 
Chili Powder
Paprika
Hungarian Paprika 
Garlic Powder
Smoked Sea Salt
Oregano
MSG
Cumin
Cayenne 
Modelo Negro
Beef Broth
Beef Bouillon
Red Kidney Beans
Worcestershire Sauce

Turned out mighty delicious. 

 

PXL_20230201_175627754.thumb.jpg.9e9355a5c06eb85c6331471039465f94.jpg

 

 

PXL_20230201_181745168.thumb.jpg.bde94edad79b64c4a970fbbd72b16843.jpg

PXL_20230201_192049536.thumb.jpg.ce7ecfa1510e19008b4e49ecf13e0d8c.jpg

  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sam Lin said:

Thread title does not check out.

 

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

beans w/ or w/o chili is another thread

It's been hashed and rehashed several times here and on TOS. I don't mind them in my chili. Wife prefers them. Happy wife, happy life. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dude was in survival mode.  If he needed to add kidney beans to keep the family alive until the minor ice apocalypse ends, then so be it.  I gave him rep for providing for his family and hiding the can of beans behind everything else in the picture.

Sorry you’re missing the point. A can or two of pinto beans to survive? Fine. Even black beans. Why does anyone have a can of fucking kidney beans in their house? You should be embarrassed. And move to fucking Ohio.
  • Rage+1 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:


Sorry you’re missing the point. A can or two of pinto beans to survive? Fine. Even black beans. Why does anyone have a can of fucking kidney beans in their house? You should be embarrassed. And move to fucking Ohio.

Where the power doesn’t go out when it gets a little cold outside and you’re not stuck making emergency chili with beans in the dark. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's one thing to argue whether or not chili can contain beans.  (Texas Red most certainly doesn't.)

It's another thing to ignore the thread title -- "Chili w/o-beans".

Regardless, I'd eat that, especially in the dark because my power has been out for 55 hours and counting.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of course the white exuburbanites who style themselves “Texas Chili purists” and insist that Texas Red can’t contain beans are simply wrong historically in addition to being uptight neurotics. Chili is poor people’s food and pinto beans used to extend the meat and improve texture are fine. It’s expensive cuts and elevated spice puffery that  don’t make sense.
That said, I think we can all agree that kidney beans are used by groomers trying to make our kids identify as Cincinnati  trans-Greeks. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Of course the white exuburbanites who style themselves “Texas Chili purists” and insist that Texas Red can’t contain beans are simply wrong historically in addition to being uptight neurotics. 

Disagree.  The San Antonio Chili Queens most definitely did not put beans in their Texas Red.  They served beans on the side for those customers who wanted beans.

They are the gold standard for that type of chili.

  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Disagree.  The San Antonio Chili Queens most definitely did not put beans in their Texas Red.  They served beans on the side for those customers who wanted beans.

They are the gold standard for that type of chili.

Yes of course these <checks notes> deeply poor, multi-ethnic women cooking and selling street food to survive using scrap meat they often got for free along with whatever they else they could find, reduced to unidentifiable homogeneity by spice, low heat and endless time would NEVER extend their meat supply using the very very inexpensive food they used at home for the same purpose or hoodwink people from out of town into thinking they wouldn’t. 

Look enjoy your chili with beans or don’t. Either are fine. But the idea that chili queens full-stop did not cut meat with beans is the great wallet inspection of Texas culinary history.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Yes of course these <checks notes> deeply poor, multi-ethnic women cooking and selling street food to survive using scrap meat they often got for free along with whatever they else they could find, reduced to unidentifiable homogeneity by spice, low heat and endless time would NEVER extend their meat supply using the very very inexpensive food they used at home for the same purpose or hoodwink people from out of town into thinking they wouldn’t. 

Look enjoy your chili with beans or don’t. Either are fine. But the idea that chili queens full-stop did not cut meat with beans is the great wallet inspection of Texas culinary history.

If you scroll up the tiniest bit you'll see that, in general, I'm not dogmatic about beans in chili.  That said, straight from the Institute of Texan Cultures, here is what they claim is the historic recipe.  Feel free to dispute it all you want, but that would seem foolish to me.

2 lbs beef shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes

1 lb pork shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes

¼ cup suet

¼ cup pork fat

3 medium-sized onions, chopped

6 garlic cloves, minced

1-quart water

4 acho chiles

1 serrano chile

6 dried red chiles

1 Tablespoon comino seeds, freshly ground

2 tablespoons Mexican oregano

Salt to taste

Place lightly floured beef and pork cubes in with suet and pork fat in heavy chili pot and cook quickly, stirring often. Add onions and garlic and cook until they are tender and limp. Add water to mixture and simmer slowly while preparing chiles. Remove stems and seeds from chile and chop very finely. Grind chiles in molcajete and add oregano with salt to mixture. Simmer another 2 hours. Remove suet casing and skim off some fat. Never cook frijoles with chilies and meat. Serve as separate dish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

If you scroll up the tiniest bit you'll see that, in general, I'm not dogmatic about beans in chili.  That said, straight from the Institute of Texan Cultures, here is what they claim is the historic recipe.  Feel free to dispute it all you want, but that would seem foolish to me.

2 lbs beef shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes

1 lb pork shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes

¼ cup suet

¼ cup pork fat

3 medium-sized onions, chopped

6 garlic cloves, minced

1-quart water

4 acho chiles

1 serrano chile

6 dried red chiles

1 Tablespoon comino seeds, freshly ground

2 tablespoons Mexican oregano

Salt to taste

Place lightly floured beef and pork cubes in with suet and pork fat in heavy chili pot and cook quickly, stirring often. Add onions and garlic and cook until they are tender and limp. Add water to mixture and simmer slowly while preparing chiles. Remove stems and seeds from chile and chop very finely. Grind chiles in molcajete and add oregano with salt to mixture. Simmer another 2 hours. Remove suet casing and skim off some fat. Never cook frijoles with chilies and meat. Serve as separate dish.

This is similar to the recipe in Walsh's cookbook that is supposedly based on a SA restaurant recipe that was based on a CQ recipe. No beans, pendejos. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What’s far more likely is that the hysterical anathema against beans is a direct result of promotional efforts of Frank Tolbert, Wick Fowler, and other impresarios. 
Just look at the Institute’s (founded 1968) recipe and think about historicity. Of course the Chili Queens would have used beef and pork clod cut into cubes, but more often than not, they didn’t. What they did have was odd and ends, probably mostly beef and pork but mixed in with other stuff and roughly chopped/minced.

what the institute recipe describes and sets in stone is the most expensive white ideal of food created by and for poor people. And it’s good! But that doesn’t make the dish that it came from inauthentic. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Yes of course these <checks notes> deeply poor, multi-ethnic women cooking and selling street food to survive using scrap meat they often got for free along with whatever they else they could find, reduced to unidentifiable homogeneity by spice, low heat and endless time would NEVER extend their meat supply using the very very inexpensive food they used at home for the same purpose or hoodwink people from out of town into thinking they wouldn’t. 

Look enjoy your chili with beans or don’t. Either are fine. But the idea that chili queens full-stop did not cut meat with beans is the great wallet inspection of Texas culinary history.

I generally like your posts but this is a weird hill to die on.  And you're definitely dying on it.

If in doubt, look at thread title, then post on a different thread.  Should be pretty simple to do.

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...