Chili w/o beans

Dutch

45 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

Question for ya'll: I typically use ground chuck for my chili and powder over reconstituted peppers.  I have some dried chilis left over from something else though, so I want to try something different from my norm.  The question is really about the beef.  I've experimented with cubed chuck before, but it shredded and I can't stand even a little bit of that in chili.  Diced sirloin gives me a texture I like but not the flavor.  Is it just a matter of not leaving the chuck in as long, or is there a cut in between chuck and sirloin that I should try?

a) you're cooking it too long;

b) you're buying pre-cubed and searing the cubes, it works better if you buy a chuck steak, sear it, then cut into cubes.

lots of explanation at serious eats:

https://www.seriouseats.com/science-of-stew-why-long-cooking-is-bad-idea-overcook-beef

https://www.seriouseats.com/all-american-beef-stew-recipe

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The Chuck is the perfect cut for chili or any braised stew. A perfect mix of meat to fat and the right kind of connective tissue that mostly melts into the dish. I buy Chuck roasts when Tom Thumb runs them on sale, vac seal and freeze. I have a kitchen aid mixer with the meat grinder, and I cube it and grind it Into either finer hamburger or a bit rougher for chili. Or I might dice it into 3/4 in cubes, toss in seasoned wondra flour, and sear it in hot fat. Then toss in the crockpot with my various chili components and cook on low for 8-10 hours. You Yankees are then free to add satan kidney beans, corn, tomato soup, mango, cinnamon or whatever other bullshit you put into the shit you mistakenly call chili.

5 minutes ago, elfenix said:

a) you're cooking it too long;

b) you're buying pre-cubed and searing the cubes, it works better if you buy a chuck steak, sear it, then cut into cubes.

lots of explanation at serious eats:

https://www.seriouseats.com/science-of-stew-why-long-cooking-is-bad-idea-overcook-beef

https://www.seriouseats.com/all-american-beef-stew-recipe

Actually, come to think of it, the few times I have done chuck I've seared a roast and then cubed it.  I think you're on to something with the cooking it too long though. Bigger pieces may work as well.

Edited by TexasHooch

4 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

The Chuck is the perfect cut for chili or any braised stew. A perfect mix of meat to fat and the right kind of connective tissue that mostly melts into the dish. I buy Chuck roasts when Tom Thumb runs them on sale, vac seal and freeze. I have a kitchen aid mixer with the meat grinder, and I cube it and grind it Into either finer hamburger or a bit rougher for chili. Or I might dice it into 3/4 in cubes, toss in seasoned wondra flour, and sear it in hot fat. Then toss in the crockpot with my various chili components and cook on low for 8-10 hours. You Yankees are then free to add satan kidney beans, corn, tomato soup, mango, cinnamon or whatever other bullshit you put into the shit you mistakenly call chili.

Weird post.  Bashes yankees (I'm from San Antonio) for using "bullshit" (no one is saying anything about that) and then advocates making chili over 10 hours in a crockpot.

Well, chuck is the cut of choice for pot roast, which IS shredded, so there is certainly a time component to it.  The counter to that argument is that it needs to be braised long enough to get CLOSE to that fall-apart stage for chili, because otherwise the cubes will be tough.  

• Like 1

Also, I’ve had chili made with intentionally shredded beef (basically barbacoa) and it was very good.  Not the traditional texture, but delicious nonetheless.

I view chili as a flavor canvas to experiment with and enjoy.  Many treat it as a religion with strict dogmatic structure.  YMMV

I celebrate the entire chili texture catalog.  I've made great gravies where I use nothing but ground beef that I don't even brown, browned chilis of ground beef or chuck roast that I shred or cubes of various beefy/porky cuts or "chili grind" from the butcher, and mixtures of the above.  I don't see the texture as part of the definition of the dish.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Weird post.  Bashes yankees (I'm from San Antonio) for using "bullshit" (no one is saying anything about that) and then advocates making chili over 10 hours in a crockpot.

Chili made with cubed Chuck need a long slow braise to tenderize the meat, tender the fat, and liquefy the connective tissues. Otherwise is tough as a boot. But it sounds like you like chewy gnarly chili. Fine with me whatever you do; I could give a shit but it’s called proper cooking. Slow cookers are a great appliance as they do a easier, more consistent job of braising than on the stovetop or a lecreuset in the oven.

6 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Do not besmirch the name of Derka in such a manner. At his worst in the late 00's Derka was still highly entertaining and capable of legitimate conversation (excluding men's BB). Zilla is a legitimate idiot and that's about it.

Eh, watching Derka insist on Derkaing any and every thread in the Movies and TV Forum, belies your opinion.

But I'm okay with considering them as equals.

• 2 weeks later...

Whipped some Texas Red tonight. Remarkably simple to make with chuck, and a few other ingredients. And it only takes an hour. 

- Pound of chuck

- Seasoning

- 2 tablespoons f onions and peppers

- A punch of beef broth

- Original Rotel

- Canned tomatoes about 5 ounces

- Mexican chiles purchased at HEB

IMG_1199.thumb.jpeg.1b6e30b72315f957fd1b0243aa160f19.jpeg

Edited by billfromlaketravis

On 6/30/2023 at 2:05 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

Dude, it's fucking zilla. Dude is legitimately one of the most annoyingly stupid motherfuckers on a website full of annoying stupid motherfuckers.

He just needs to learn to channel his twattery into the appropriate forums and particular threads where their presence can strike the right chord. I have a few recommendations if needed.  

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

If my dog had bloody diarrhea I could put it in a bowl and it would still be more appealing than that nasty shit. Your ability to continually find good threads on this board and make them unreadable is well documented. Get the fuck out of this one and don't fucking come back

That’s a bit harsh, Herbert.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2023 at 9:43 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Whipped some Texas Red tonight. Remarkably simple to make with chuck, and a few other ingredients. And it only takes an hour. 

- Pound of chuck

- Seasoning

- 2 tablespoons f onions and peppers

- A punch of beef broth

- Original Rotel

- Canned tomatoes about 5 ounces

- Mexican chiles purchased at HEB

IMG_1199.thumb.jpeg.1b6e30b72315f957fd1b0243aa160f19.jpeg

What in the fuck is this shit?

On 6/30/2023 at 9:47 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Some of the best chili I've ever made used leftover brisket, diced and added towards the end (maybe 30 minutes or so).

Absolutely. There’s always a few Foodsaver bags of leftover brisket in my freezer for chili. 

• 1 month later...

Gonna be in Cleveland/ Akron this week. I am torn between the sacrilege of Skyline Chili on spaghetti and just buckling down and eating it once to say I did. I guess I am fortunate that this is my most pressing issue today. 

Would you try it or not?

9 minutes ago, slorch said:

Gonna be in Cleveland/ Akron this week. I am torn between the sacrilege of Skyline Chili on spaghetti and just buckling down and eating it once to say I did. I guess I am fortunate that this is my most pressing issue today. 

Would you try it or not?

My issue is not with eating it, but rather calling it chili.  

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Would you try it or not?

Give it a try.  Just don't compare it to Texas chili.  Compare it to whatever other weird shit they eat up there.

I've had chili three-way:  "chili" over spaghetti with onions and cheese.  It's not bad, just not comparable to Texas chili.  

Like Utee said it’s Greek meat sauce. Has cinnamon and sometime nutmeg in it. It’s only called chili because any kind of beef soup like that was called chili a hundred years ago. You get the same meat sauce whatever way you get it. I would do with noodles, onions, cheese. The outlier is the dreaded fucking kidney bean. Ain’t no way I’d eat a kidney bean.

it was some greek immigrants who got to cincinati ~100+ years ago when italian food was basically not a thing with the midwestern crowd (my grandfather told stories about the first pizza places opening in columbus).  chili had become famous at the 1893 chicago world's fair and bears a bit more than a passing resemblance being a spiced meat sauce (for enchiladas), and walla!

edit: one thing to know about skyline hotdogs is that they are tiny, like half the size of a normal hotdog. 

Edited by elfenix

Not a fan of the cinnamon/ nutmeg or whatever the hell is in there, otherwise it was just meatsauce.  I got the 4-way with onions and I actually liked the tons of cheese on there.

I can say I've had it now.  Not sure if I'd get it again.  Oh and they have like a little gift counter by the register with shirts and coasters( coasters???) and I asked if they had any stickers, like for a beer fridge.  " No, but we need some.  We hadn't thought of that."  

They were nice.  Just not my jam.