Chili w/o beans

Dutch

Enjoying a nice bowl of red with bison meat, veggies, kidney beans, red lentils, and more fucking chili powder than 98% of you wannabe purists would ever consider.
200.gif

Bowl of bison meat loaf soup it sounds like. Fucking kidney bean. Did you put in carrots and celery like Iowa, add a beet or some broccoli? You do know that most prepared chili powders don’t have much heat. So your huge amount may have as many scoville as a turnip.

Why come to this thread with your lentil bowl? Go to the soup thread.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Bowl of bison meat loaf soup it sounds like. Fucking kidney bean. Did you put in carrots and celery like Iowa, add a beet or some broccoli? You do know that most prepared chili powders don’t have much heat. So your huge amount may have as many scoville as a turnip.

Why come to this thread with your lentil bowl? Go to the soup 

I love this thread.

Thanks, i know what's in chili powder. I use a couple different types. I also use fresh onions, garlic, carrots, red bell pepper, all chopped very fine. Kidney beans, lentils, bison, jalapenos, beef stock, lots of chili powder, salt, and pepper.  It's glorious.

I've judged lots of chili cookoffs in which I felt like spitting out my bite, and it was just meat and gravy. But it was garbage. And it wasn't "chili" in my definition, but it would be in yours. Congrats I guess.

What's your view on topping with cheese, sour cream, avocado, fritos, etc?

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

I love this thread.

Thanks, i know what's in chili powder. I use a couple different types. I also use fresh onions, garlic, carrots, red bell pepper, all chopped very fine. Kidney beans, lentils, bison, jalapenos, beef stock, lots of chili powder, salt, and pepper.  It's glorious.

I've judged lots of chili cookoffs in which I felt like spitting out my bite, and it was just meat and gravy. But it was garbage. And it wasn't "chili" in my definition, but it would be in yours. Congrats I guess.

What's your view on topping with cheese, sour cream, avocado, fritos, etc?

Dude you can eat whatever you like, but you clearly can't read the thread title. 

12 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

Enjoying a nice bowl of red with bison meat, veggies, kidney beans, red lentils, and more fucking chili powder than 98% of you wannabe purists would ever consider.

fight me bruce lee GIF

BREAKING: Lots of powder, or lots of dry then re-hydrated chilies is how your chili gets red!

(though I suspect this is a joke reply)

Edited by UncleBuck

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

You could also use lots of paprika! 

I use just a little pap. Maybe a whole bottle of ketchup could do it?

(just checked my recipe. 1 tbsp of pap total. 9 tbsp of three different chili powders. Recipe for 3lbs)

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Haha 1

Yup just a tablespoon of paprika for me as well, per 3-4 lbs.  I use reconstituted chiles and make more than I need, blend the slurry in the Vitamix and then add to taste through the early stages of the cook.  Any leftover you can freeze just fine and use for more chili later.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yup just a tablespoon of paprika for me as well, per 3-4 lbs.  I use reconstituted chiles and make more than I need, blend the slurry in the Vitamix and then add to taste through the early stages of the cook.  Any leftover you can freeze just fine and use for more chili later.

Still need to try the reconstituted chiles recipe I've had written down for awhile, just never get around to it. 

On 10/18/2023 at 12:30 PM, utee94 said:

I love throwing some cornbread in the bottom of the bowl, and then scooping out the chili-inundated mixture.  Some chopped onions and cheddar cheese on top are always welcome.

Cornbread pancake.  Lay it on top of the chili in the bowl.  Each bite takes a bit of the cornbread to the depths of the chili before it's quick trip through your digestive system.

Edited by dcbc

24 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Cornbread pancake.  Lay it on top of the chili in the bowl.  Each bite takes a bit of the cornbread to the depths of the chili before it's quick trip through your digestive system.

Its a cornbread waffle and it goes at the bottom of the chili.  You clearly didn't read the thread title.

• Like 1

Tomorrow is the first batch of chili season. Need some help on ratios for peppers. The lady doesn’t like much heat  but usually still makes a “spicy mild”. Peppers we have right now are guajillo, New Mexico red? (Maybe hatch), and puya. We will probably float a Serrano but we only have a couple and they are fresh not dried. What’s the rec for pepper ratio. We haven’t used the puya before 

Edited by hobbes2702

If your wife doesn’t like too much heat first skip the Serrano.

My basic mix of ground chiles is 4 - 5 parts ancho, 2 parts guajillo, 2 parts New Mexican, and 1 part chipotle.

My initial dose on a batch is 1.5 tbsp per pound plus 1 tbsp cumin per pound. I will go 1-2 cloves minced garlic per pound, and a tbsp of granulated garlic. 1 tsp Mexican oregano per pound.

I adjust after a short simmer than again when “done”. If possible it’s a day ahead and I adjust again the next day.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My latest favorite is 2/1/1 guajillo/ancho/NewMex by weight.  About 15 grams (~ 0.5 oz) total per pound of protein.  Add a little fresh serrano, some cayenne powder, etc. for heat if you want.

Started the rehydration. We have 4 guajillo, 2 ancho, 2 newmex, and 1 puya since we haven’t ever used that one.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Might be a little on the dark/raisiny side, no shame in that.  Not familiar with puya -- hot?

It’s actually 5 guajilllo, 2 ancho, 3 new mex. Looking it up seems similar in flavor to a guajillo but it shows 5,000-8,000 units. Like I said the lady isn’t huge on heat but enjoys a spicy mild-medium. We will see how this comes out.

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Sounds like a damn good pot of chili.

Also first time we’ve used some bacon fat instead of beef fat. Didn’t use much but we will see what it does. gonna float a Serrano at some point. Should be great in a few hours.

IMG_6659.thumb.jpeg.1781dd3339554a4a208157d6f80307ec.jpeg

needs a stir.

IMG_6658.jpeg

Edited by hobbes2702

Did a pot yesterday with the competition recipe. 3lb recipe. Floated two jalapenos and one serrano. Squeezed juices into the pot before the rest period. Nice mild heat, but felt it needed some more and had to throw in a little serrano powder to get it up a bit. Hard to know how spicy the judges want it. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 1:15 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Ohio chili has beans.

Ohio chili isn’t a thing. Cincinnati chili isn’t chili. And it doesn’t have beans. If you want beans, you have to add them. Literally no one cooks Cincinnati chili with beans in it. You obviously have no clue what you’re talking about in this instance. It seems reasonable to assume that’s not an aberration.

8 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Ohio chili isn’t a thing. Cincinnati chili isn’t chili. And it doesn’t have beans. If you want beans, you have to add them. Literally no one cooks Cincinnati chili with beans in it. You obviously have no clue what you’re talking about in this instance. It seems reasonable to assume that’s not an aberration.

Wow.  What a dick.  Pardon me -- Ohio chili CAN have beans.  Texas chili cannot.  Thanks for catching my embarrassing faux pas.

Edited by jimmyjazz

15 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Did a pot yesterday with the competition recipe. 3lb recipe. Floated two jalapenos and one serrano. Squeezed juices into the pot before the rest period. Nice mild heat, but felt it needed some more and had to throw in a little serrano powder to get it up a bit. Hard to know how spicy the judges want it. 

take those jalepenos and serranos, blend them up. add back into the cooked chili until you get the heat you want

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

take those jalepenos and serranos, blend them up. add back into the cooked chili until you get the heat you want

That's a good idea, and I'd definitely do that at home, but with my comp recipe I wanna keep it just meat and sauce, don't want to chance a seed or two getting into the judging cup, and give the judges something to pick at. If they wanna pick at the absence of things, I'll take my chances with that lol. 

Just now, UncleBuck said:

That's a good idea, and I'd definitely do that at home, but with my comp recipe I wanna keep it just meat and sauce, don't want to chance a seed or two getting into the judging cup, and give the judges something to pick at. If they wanna pick at the absence of things, I'll take my chances with that lol. 

De-seed the peppers and float them in a cheesecloth bag.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

De-seed the peppers and float them in a cheesecloth bag.

I poke holes in my peppers with a toothpick and float them during the first cook, then squeeze their juice into the chili during the rest period. At the comp I'll do that over a hand strainer. Don't do it when just cooking at home, and you can see one seed made its way into the chili. Reaffirms my decision to pack a hand strainer. 

• Hook 'Em 1