Trump really is driving people crazy

F250

This study was mentioned on NPR yesterday afternoon and I don't think it's surprising considering our current political climate. It's no secret that some people have allowed the Trump Presidency to impact their personal life. I think it's important to remember that no one really gives a shit what you think or how you feel and as an individual you make no difference. So don't let something beyond your control impact your personal life.

http://www.texasstandard.org/stories/news-roundup-for-some-people-election-2016-brought-out-obsessive-compulsive-symptoms-study-finds/

“So we put together some measures that the behaviors seem to mirror,” Cepeda says. “So a lot of it looks like, kind of OCD symptoms, also anxiety, depression, a lot of people have concerns about worries related to the future of the country.”

Here is a similar article.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2018/01/04/my-therapy-clients-cant-tear-themselves-away-from-the-news-and-its-messing-with-their-lives/

• Like 1

Only the weak minded ones, the ones who have mommy and daddy issues... you know,...... democrats....

I have a couple friends who are hard core democrats. We keep political discussions at a 35,000' level. They are completely un hinged about Trump. It's kinda sad to see otherwise intelligent people really lose their shit about someone.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

The actual research

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0887618518300410

Abstract

A significant proportion of the U.S. population report increased stress attributed to the political climate following the controversial 2016 United States (U.S.) Presidential election. The political stressors paired with the growth in news consumption and social media-use could be a potential trigger for obsessive-compulsive-like symptoms specific to politics in some individuals. This study aimed to elucidate the rate of Politically-focused Intrusive Thoughts and associated Ritualistic Behaviors (PITRB), their demographic and clinical correlates, and the degree of association with political ideology. Survey data were collected using the crowdsourcing platform Mechanical Turk. A total of N = 484 individuals completed the survey. Measures of politically-focused intrusive thoughts and ritualistic behaviors, general obsessive-compulsive symptoms, depression, anxiety, anxiety control, worry, and disability were administered, as well as a measure of social and economic conservative affiliation. Results showed that a quarter of the sample (25.2%) had at least one PITRB more than once a day. PITRB was associated with all measures of psychopathology and disability. Finally, anxiety control moderated the relationship between PITRB and both anxiety and depression. No differences in psychopathology were found between major party affiliations. The findings suggest that politically-focused intrusive thoughts and ritualistic behaviors are associated with psychopathology domains in a manner comparable to general obsessive-compulsive symptoms.

Keywords

• Obsessive-compulsive disorder; 
  • Anxiety; 
  • Politics; 
  • Impairment; 
  • Social media

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Nice to know you don’t give a shit.

I think a valid and broad distinction can be drawn between giving a shit (and its corollary doing something about it) and letting yourself fall into mental illness over the state of the government.

For example, Trump is an assclown.  I know this (I have actually believed this for nearly three decades).  I don't need journalists and reporters constantly, obsessively digging up more evidence that he is, in fact, an assclown and devoting the equivalent of column feet of text to it on a daily basis.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

When the government is stable, people don’t need to pay attention as much.

when the government is unstable, the opposite is true.  

The OP is saying people’s opinions and thoughts don’t matter, no one gives a shit.

It’s the most absurd bunch of fucking nonsense I’ve heard in a while.

Two months ago, I watched some high school kids get significant gun legislation passed in Florida in one week by sheer political will.

So when I hear someone say tell others their opinion doesn’t matter, they can fuck off.

Yeah, people shouldn’t take this stuff to unhealthy levels but now it not the time for apathy.  That’s what got us into this mess.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The OP is saying people’s opinions and thoughts don’t matter, no one gives a shit.

Two months ago, I watched some high school kids get significant gun legislation passed in Florida in one week by shear political will.

So when I hear someone say tell others their opinion doesn’t matter, they can fuck off.

Yeah, people shouldn’t take this stuff to unhealthy levels but now it not the time for apathy.  That’s what got us into this mess.

Dude, you’re a truther and flat earther. Come on. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

10 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Two months ago, I watched some high school kids get significant gun legislation passed in Florida in one week by shear political will.

This may hit a little too close to home for you Hugo.

"The political stressors paired with the growth in news consumption and social media-use could be a potential trigger for obsessive-compulsive-like symptoms specific to politics in some individuals...

The findings suggest that politically-focused intrusive thoughts and ritualistic behaviors are associated with psychopathology domains in a manner comparable to general obsessive-compulsive symptoms."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Nice to know you don’t give a shit.

To be clear, I mean no one of significance gives a shit. Although I would say that the general population doesn't give a shit either. I say this as someone with deep political convictions. I am fully aware that no one really gives a shit about my views on the government's blatant invasion of privacy despite the Snowden revelations. I'll share my opinion but I know it will fall on deaf ears unless someone already agrees with my opinion. In the end, we really are just left with the choir to preach to and that isn't something anyone should allow their mood to be impacted by unless they are a genuine person of influence.

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Only the weak minded ones, the ones who have mommy and daddy issues... you know,...... democrats....

I have a couple friends who are hard core democrats. We keep political discussions at a 35,000' level. They are completely un hinged about Trump. It's kinda sad to see otherwise intelligent people really lose their shit about someone.

You don't have any friends.  And Hillary fucked your mind up harder than Trump fucked Stormy.   She didn't even win, and she's still in your thoughts at least hourly.  You don't have a leg to stand on, slugger.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Anastasis said:

This may hit a little too close to home for you Hugo.

"The political stressors paired with the growth in news consumption and social media-use could be a potential trigger for obsessive-compulsive-like symptoms specific to politics in some individuals...

The findings suggest that politically-focused intrusive thoughts and ritualistic behaviors are associated with psychopathology domains in a manner comparable to general obsessive-compulsive symptoms."

So Hugo is trans?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

I worry about not just the mental but the physical well being of some of you fuckers if mueller doesn’t come through 

The only thing I really care about with Mueller is his report on Russia. 

I want democracy to take care of Trump.

I don’t want Mueller to swoop in like some hero and save the Republic.  

I want America to take their democracy by the balls and shove it right in that fat fucks face.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The only thing I really care about with Mueller is his report on Russia. 

Yeah I think that's kind of obvious and it's kind of the point...  

What if the election was fair and all this facebook/twitter/fakenews/Russia storyline was all made up? 

What if Mueller clears Trump?

What if Trump manages to get re-elected and finishes out 8 full years? 

How much of your life are you willing to sacrifice over something that is cyclical and you have no control over?

2 minutes ago, Amobie said:

What if the election was fair and all this facebook/twitter/fakenews/Russia storyline was all made up? 

You’re an ignorant person if you think the interference was made up.

I personally witnessed it in real time.  I was following some of the Russian accounts during the election on Twitter.  They have been indicted and exposed publicly.

download

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

republicans were totally in control of their emotions during Obama's time in office, right?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Amobie said:

How much of your life are you willing to sacrifice over something that is cyclical and you have no control over?

There are three types of citizens:

The sheep - these are the good folks that go about their daily lives unaware of danger and happily live in ignorance. Nothing wrong with living this way.  Many people fought and died so they could choose to do so.  In many ways, I envy them.

The wolves - These are the people that are out to hurt/kill/exploit the sheep. 

The sheepdogs - the ones that keep their eyes out for the wolves and alert the sheep when necessary. 

Right now the wolves are winning and we’re running out of sheepdogs.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

There are three types of citizens:

The sheep - these are the good folks that go about their daily lives unaware of danger and happily live in ignorance. Nothing wrong with living this way.  Many people fought and died so they could choose to do so.  In many ways, I envy them.

The wolves - These are the people that are out to hurt/kill/exploit the sheep. 

The sheepdogs - the ones that keep their eyes out for the wolves and alert the sheep when necessary. 

Right now the wolves are winning and we’re running out of sheepdogs.

I understand that's how you see yourself but I think it's much more likely you have an unhealthy obsession about this topic and are experiencing cognitive dissonance.  

If Mueller doesn't find anything, you are going to look like one of the Obama birthers.

republicans were totally in control of their emotions during Obama's time in office, right?

There were rational and irrational people who opposed Obama's policies.  There are rational and irrational people who oppose Trump.  

I know both Anti-Obama and Anti-Trump people who have ruined their careers and social lives over their irrational opposition.  I think social media is feeding the problem.

Edited by Amobie
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Lol at if "Mueller doesn't find anything." He's already issued a few indictments with at least one more that's sealed. Imagine being this willfully obtuse.

If it doesn't lead to the president being removed from office and he gets re-elected (possible considering current approval ratings) then the amount of time and effort being put into opposing Trump is silly.  Especially if it turns out he had nothing to do with Russia. 

Regardless, he's definitely not president after 2024 (possibly 2020).  So is it worth the stress and damage to ones' personal life to be spending all day every day sharing articles and getting into political fights?  It's not like you are going to convince anyone to change their opinion.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.

Edited by Amobie
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

we cannot remind the rightwing of this enough.  for 8 yrs they cried the sky is falling, completely unhinged.  and now they don't understand why are the democrats so unhinged?  the view is different from the top.  it sucks to be on the bottom.  the gop acted like crybabies during all of the obama years, and now we are doing the same thing. 

oh, and i agree 100% about onboard.  he is the poster child for letting a person drive him crazy.  no one was more obsessed with hillary than onboard.  

• Like 1

If it doesn't lead to the president being removed from office and he gets re-elected (possible considering current approval ratings) then the amount of time and effort being put into opposing Trump is silly.  Especially if it turns out he had nothing to do with Russia. 
Regardless, he's definitely not president after 2024 (possibly 2020).  So is it worth the stress and damage to ones' personal life to be spending all day every day sharing articles and getting into political fights?  It's not like you are going to convince anyone to change their opinion.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.
Seems like most lawyers agree that you can't charge a sitting president so unless the Senate votes to confirm an impeachment he will still be in office. However the stink around him and all those Republicans who continue to carry his water will hopefully do long lasting damage to the Republican party.

1 minute ago, GSU&UT said:

Seems like most lawyers agree that you can't charge a sitting president so unless the Senate votes to cnfirm an impeachment he will still be in office. However the stink around him and all those Republicans who continue to carry his water will hopefully do long lasting damage to the Republican party.

Yes but is the "stink" real?  What if Mueller comes out and says the President is cleared?  Would wasting 2+ years of your life ranting about Russia have been worth it?

"I'm not even mad about any of this," - a mad person pretending not to be mad

"I'm not even mad about any of this," - an ironic person coping with unacceptable reality

"I'm not even mad about any of this," - a psychopath who likes it when people he doesn't like suffer

Which #NotMad are you!?

11 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You can shove your ignorant assumptions up your ass.

From the OP's articles, which you clearly didn't read:

Storch commented on this and found that regardless of political affiliation, people were trying to find out if anything had happened within the last few hours. And he says people kept checking the news throughout the day.

Storch adds 18 percent of the survey respondents were experiencing highly politically-focused intrusive thoughts and associated ritualistic behaviors.

And it didn’t matter if the participant was a Democrat or Republican.

It’s a dynamic I’ve seen with other couples and individual therapy clients I work with. To be sure, a heightened political anxiety has been with us since the 2016 presidential campaign. Trump voters in Washington feel like outcasts, shunned by family and friends. Democrats and Republicans who oppose the president are struggling with a sense of uncertainty. 

39 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Trump voters in Washington feel like outcasts, shunned by family and friends.

They should.

Trump's a giant piece of shit.  If you support him, you're a giant piece of shit.

Somethings are simple and fundamental truths.  OU sucks.  BBQ is awesome.  Trump's a piece of shit.  And his supporters are, too.

I also shun holocaust deniers, klan members, and militant vegans.  My conscience is clear on all counts.

Trump is a pathological liar, a narcissist, and as Brisket so eloquently put, a giant piece of shit.

There is a significant portion of Americans that actually voted him into the highest office in the world.  Many people still support him, many people still viciously defend him.  We have politicians that have sold their souls and bent the knee to a cruel, petty imbecile. Then you have the people that turn the other cheek, sit on the sidelines, and wait for him to go away.  Nevermind the carnage he'll leave in his wake.  "Just chill, y'all."

Where is the honesty and sincerity? How is being disingenuous an acceptable - or even celebrated - form of behavior?

Trump isn't driving me crazy. He's always been a charlatan and absolutely nothing he says or does surprises me. The American people who aren't 100% against this fat fuck are who's driving me crazy. 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I’m currently experiencing the same with my buddies on the left. It’s similar to talking to aggy about football in a way. Their eyes begin to twitch, then frothing at the mouth shortly ensues. 

1 minute ago, Chrispy said:

I’m currently experiencing the same with my buddies on the left. It’s similar to talking to aggy about football in a way. Their eyes begin to twitch, then frothing at the mouth shortly ensues. 

Yeah...and none of us have to deal with Trumpkin family members ranting on and on about how evil mexicans are ruining our country and how Soros is paying those uppity negroes to protest and how everything that doesn't align with Trumpworld is fake news...all while we just wanted another cup of punch at the family reunion.

Fucking please.  Y'all are pieces of shit, and every moment we don't treat you like the shitpiles that you are is one of class and mercy on our part.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Lulz.  Supporting Trump is the fullest essence of being an aggy.  Try again. 

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah...and none of us have to deal with Trumpkin family members ranting on and on about how evil mexicans are ruining our country and how Soros is paying those uppity negroes to protest and how everything that doesn't align with Trumpworld is fake news...all while we just wanted another cup of punch at the family reunion.

Fucking please.  Y'all are pieces of shit, and every moment we don't treat you like the shitpiles that you are is one of class and mercy on our part.

I live in very conservative area and rarely run into these individuals that you referenced. But when I do, like most adults, I laugh it off and recognize they’re not to be taken seriously. 

As far as conservatives being pieces of shit, fine; i suppose that’s your justification for the vitriolic attacks you so elegantly typed. My advice to you guys is this: wake up early, work your ass off, and you’ll be fine. All of the incessant panic is unnecessary. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Hey fuck you very much .  You'd have elected the  biggest, corrupt POS in American politics so you're welcome  that didn't come to pass .

• Fuck You 1

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Hey fuck you very much .  You'd have elected the  biggest, corrupt POS in American politics so you're welcome  that didn't come to pass .

instead, as a nation, we are left with the biggest corrupt POS in american politics. awesome.

this is fine.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The difference between you and me is that after we elect whichever person we deem to be "the lesser of two evils," I would still treat that person as fucking evil -- had we elected Hillary, I'd have opposed the shit out of much of what I would expect her to do.

You, on the other hand, live in a world where, once "the lesser of two evils" wins...then that person is no longer even a lesser evil -- they are just fine.  That makes you a giant piece of shit.  Well, I'm sure that many things make you a giant piece of shit.  This is just the most glaring piece of evidence.

Go ahead and decide that Trump is a slightly smaller piece of shit than Hillary, and vote against the bigger piece of shit on that basis - I understand that decision, and have understood it all along (I disagree as to which was the larger piece of shit, but I fully understand that it was a debatable point).  But when you then try to convince yourself and the world that the slightly smaller piece of shit you voted for is really a delicious steak, don't be surprised when we treat you like the deranged POS that you clearly are.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah, it was sad watching wypipo have the same reaction to Obama. They became so unhinged they elected Donald Trump. Imagine!

21 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

I live in very conservative area and rarely run into these individuals that you referenced. But when I do, like most adults, I laugh it off and recognize they’re not to be taken seriously. 

As far as conservatives being pieces of shit, fine; i suppose that’s your justification for the vitriolic attacks you so elegantly typed. My advice to you guys is this: wake up early, work your ass off, and you’ll be fine. All of the incessant panic is unnecessary. 

I didn't say that conservatives are pieces of shit.  Please cite where I said that.

I said that shitheels who support Trump and say shit like mexicans are the real problem, Soros pays all those black folks to protest, etc., are giant pieces of shit.  There are plenty of conservatives who do NOT think that way.  Those folks no longer have a place in the GOP and the party of Trump.

I do my thing.  But I was raised to give a shit about my country.  When I see Trump and his army of shitheads doing all they can to wreck it, it pisses me off.  If you aren't pissed off, you aren't paying attention.

Art of War:  Chapter 5, Energy

16. Amid the turmoil and tumult of battle, there may be seeming disorder and yet no real disorder at all; amid confusion and chaos, your array may be without head or tail, yet it will be proof against defeat.  17. Simulated disorder postulates perfect discipline, simulated fear postulates courage, simulated weakness postulates strength.  18. Hiding order beneath the cloak of disorder is simply a question of subdivision; concealing courage under a show of timidity presupposes a fund of latent energy, masking strength with weakness is to be effected by tactical dispositions.

While I think there is shit at play that goes beyond what we, the general populous can see, I do believe it takes a highly trained "actor" to continually drive disorder.   That highly trained actor is best when it comes natural and well, Captain Toupee has been trained for this role, and is a natural narcissist and purveyor of chaos.  Meanwhile, he is clearly supported, otherwise, he'd be out by now or would have never been granted office.  Do I like it? Hell no.  Do I have a choice in the matter right now? Not really.  Due process will have to take its place and we will see what happens.  I feel for all those who are in his path of destruction and chaos.

Edited by Doc Holliday

39 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I didn't say that conservatives are pieces of shit.  Please cite where I said that.

I said that shitheels who support Trump and say shit like mexicans are the real problem, Soros pays all those black folks to protest, etc., are giant pieces of shit.  There are plenty of conservatives who do NOT think that way.  Those folks no longer have a place in the GOP and the party of Trump.

I do my thing.  But I was raised to give a shit about my country.  When I see Trump and his army of shitheads doing all they can to wreck it, it pisses me off.  If you aren't pissed off, you aren't paying attention.

Oh that's better, conservatives aren't POS just me and the flks who DIDN'T vote for Hillary... gotcha. yer quite the perfect human being there sport.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

33 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oh that's better, conservatives aren't POS just me and the flks who DIDN'T vote for Hillary... gotcha. yer quite the perfect human being there sport.

23 minutes ago, TexLonghorn said:

Onboard, are you actually reading Brisket's posts?  Or just scanning for trigger words?

Reading is not on the Trumpkin agenda.

I'll repeat it, even though he won't read or understand it: don't vote for Hillary to your heart's content.  Vote for whomever you think is a "lesser evil" than Hillary.  Just don't treat that person as "good" after they win.  Remember, Trump is an evil POS, just a "less evil" POS than Hillary.  But he's still an evil POS.  So, now that he's won, treat him like what he is and always was - an evil POS.

If you have a choice of being hit with a sword or a baseball bat, maybe you do the smart thing and choose "baseball bat."  But any sane person would STILL, having CHOSEN the baseball bat, put their hands up and defend themselves.  You, on the other hand, are sitting there while we get pummeled, hands by your side and gleefully saying "man, ain't this so much better than being hit with a sword?"

You're a logically inconsistent moron.  In other words, the perfect Trumpkin.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

To provide some perspective from the other side, a good friend is a world class neurosurgeon here in Chicago.  At a dinner with some high end people (not me) like Dr. Enrico Benedetti who revolutionized robotics for transplant surgeries, my buddy launches into the ‘look at Hillary’ diatribe.  Showing photos off of Alex Jones site etc.  That’s the only time I’ve failed to enjoy my steak at Maple & Ash. 

Between him and Ben Carson I’m wondering if the stress related to practicing neurosurgery kills off many other parts of your brain, not related to that one task.  Only half joking...

Trump is a Russian influenced bought and paid for agent designed to sow chaos and weaken America. Doing a good job so far.  Given his narcissistic personality disorder and coming dementia, whether he is a willing or unwilling agent is irrelevant. He is who he is. The sooner America completely awakens to this fact the better.