Joe Biden Veepstakes 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Biden should just say screw it, and ask Obama to be his vp candidate. Nothing says Barack can’t be elected VP and in theory serve again. He just can’t be elected president again.

As I understand it, you have to be eligible to be President in order to be Vice President. So, no. 

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

As I understand it, you have to be eligible to be President in order to be Vice President. So, no. 

No, amendment only says someone can't be elected 3 times. Elevation from VP to President isn't being elected.  Hell, Biden could resign 1 day into it, and let Obama take over.

No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President, when this Article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

You've somehow convinced yourself that Biden picking a black woman would be a mistake. Not a particular candidate. Any black woman. It's fucking ridiculous. 

Yeah, the media sucks. They sucked during the actual primary, and they suck now during Veepstakes. Every candidate was treated unfairly in some way. But the tribalism has gone too far on Twitter. That goes for Bernie people, Warren people, Buttigieg people, Kamala people, Beto people, Yang people, etc. 

I understand how easily a person can get trapped into a Twitter echo chamber. You've fallen face first into the Warren bubble. I like you and think you're a smart guy. I hope once the VP is picked (assuming it's not Warren) that you take a break from the Liz train and settle back in to reality. :)

Dude, every time I voice my opinion, you attack me as some kind of Warren or bust stan. We’re on the same side here. We both want Trump and the GOP to get annihilated in the election.  I don’t understand why you keep attacking me over disagreeing on the best way to do that.  I don’t have nearly as much to lose in this election as other people but I very much care about the direction of the country.

I think there’s this flowery assumption that if Biden picks a Black woman, that’s somehow going to solve some of our problems with racism. It won’t. Our racism issues run much deeper. I’m of the opinion Biden should pick the best person for the job, if that person is a Black woman, great, that’s who it should be. I’m all in on the Biden train regardless of the pick but I’m still going to comment on the BS I see in the coverage.  Maybe we can debate the substance of that instead of you discrediting me. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’m all in on the Biden train regardless of the pick but I’m still going to comment on the BS I see in the coverage.  Maybe we can debate the substance of that instead of you discrediting me. 

i'm not getting in the middle of this, but what don't you like about the coverage?  i admit i'm mostly on cnn (usually muted) throughout the day, but i haven't seen any of the talking heads come out and call the "woman" or "black" identity categories a good or bad decision.  just that the rumors are out there, open letters, etc.

51 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Hank, I can have an opinion. If you don’t think race is going to be weaponized in this election, I don’t know what to tell you. Biden’s VP pick is going to face the most inflammatory and despicable attacks.  It’s important everyone understands that and is prepared to defend her from those, regardless of the pick.

True. All the more reason not to trip if it’s Rice. The pick will be second guessed and smeared by ideologues on both sides. In terms of the ability to move a legislative agenda, I don’t think it really matters who is selected.

16 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

No, amendment only says someone can't be elected 3 times. Elevation from VP to President isn't being elected.  Hell, Biden could resign 1 day into it, and let Obama take over.

Last sentence of the 12th Amendment:

"But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States."

Just now, ftf82 said:

Last sentence of the 12th Amendment:

"But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States."

Once again, holding the office twice before doesn't make them ineligible to hold it.  If that sentence said, "But no person constitutionally ineligible to be elected the office of President shall be eligible" then you would be right. In this case, you're wrong.