Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

42 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

However, I don’t like how he can just hijack the Democratic Party whenever he feels like it.  Either stay in the tent or GTFO. 

We must move right to expand the party for important and necessary votes.

Leftism? FUCK OFF!

#DemLife

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

A number of the exhibits filed earlier in the manafort trial reference emails between Manafort and the chief political strategist for the Sanders Campaign.

Manafort once shopped at a grocery store.

Sanders eats food.

#KremlinGate

(Devine's e-mails with Manafort were from 2014, well before he worked for Sanders' campaign)

Just now, Anastasis said:

Oh, and this thread has gone fucking awesome over the last few days. Hat tip to all involved. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LongestHorn said:

Arrest them, set bail at $1 million, repeat.

Reveal hidden contents

The ruling by Judge Billy Sipe came in response to a defense motion asking him to lower the $25,000 bond for Matthew Wright, 30, in connection with the June 15 incident. His public defenders noted that Wright had no known previous criminal history and could reside with an aunt and uncle in Phoenix and commute to Kingman for hearings while his case is pending.

But Sipe saw things differently, proclaiming Wright a danger to the public and questioning his mental stability.

“I find that $25,000 is an extremely low bond for these type of cases,” Sipe said, making comparisons to the Oct. 1 massacre in Las Vegas last fall and other deadly shootings at schools and churches across the nation.

“I am gravely concerned with his conduct.” The judge also noted handwritten letters that Wright arranged to be sent from jail to President Donald Trump, members of Nevada’s congressional delegation and local, state and federal law enforcement agencies. He told Wright the communications certainly put him on the radar of the Secret Service, if he hadn’t been there already.

Terrorism is a 10 year mandatory minimum.  We'll make room.

or fertilizer.

Bad Teammate has a point, people are getting labeled as potential traitors for holding positions they have held for years. When they take a position or make a statement that seems to come out of left field they are automatically accused of fulfilling Putin's narrative. Never mind the fact that they have been camped out in left field their entire lives.

• Like 1

Just now, F250 said:

Bad Teammate has a point, people are getting labeled as potential traitors for holding positions they have held for years. When they take a position or make a statement that seems to come out of left field they are automatically accused of fulfilling Putin's narrative. Never mind the fact that they have been camped out in left field their entire lives.

And the reflexive association of progressives with literal Communist Russians is not new for Democrats.

mainstreaming-of-martin-luther-king-avlo

6 minutes ago, F250 said:

Everything is Russia. 

I’d like to applaud Bernie Sanders for a moment.

Rand Paul...not so much.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) on Thursday blocked a resolution from Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) that backed the intelligence community's assessment of Russian election interference and demanded President Trump speak with special counsel Robert Mueller.

Sanders asked for unanimous consent to try to pass his resolution, saying senators "must act" if they are "serious about preserving American democracy."

"The Congress must make it clear that we accept the assessment of our intelligence community with regard to Russian election interfering in our country and in other democracies," Sanders said during a Senate floor speech.

Under Senate rules, any one senator could block his request.

Sanders's resolution would also demand already passed sanctions legislation be fully implemented, move to protect the election system and "not accept" interference in Mueller's investigation, including the firing of Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.

But Paul objected to the resolution, saying it was a sign of "Trump derangement syndrome" coming to the Senate. Paul has been one of Trump's most vocal defenders in Congress in the wake of the president's sit-down with Russian President Vladimir Putin earlier this week.

The hatred for the president is so intense that partisans would rather risk war than give diplomacy a chance," he said.

Paul questioned why senators would not want to have relations with Russia.

"We should stand firm and say 'Stay the hell out of our elections,' but we should not stick our head in the ground and say we're not going to talk to them," he said.

But Sanders fired back that Paul's objection was unrelated to his resolution, which he noted doesn't push for cutting off talks with the Russians.

"What the senator said is totally irrelevant to what is in this resolution," Sanders said.

The resolution comes as Congress is weighing how to push back against Russia after Trump sparked bipartisan backlash during his meeting with Putin on Monday in Helsinki, Finland.

Trump refused to condemn Russia for interfering in the 2016 presidential election during a joint press conference on Monday. He then tried to walk back his comments on Tuesday, saying he accepted the intelligence community's findings but added that "other people" could have been involved too.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/397879-rand-paul-blocks-sanders-russia-resolution-calls-it-crazy-hatred

9 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

"intellectual elite" means "smart people" and trumpkins don't like smart people

Or they are jealous of anyone that's labeled elite.  I bet someone could sway some of their support by calling them elite and slapping a word in front they don't understand.  The gullibility elite or the upwardly stagnant elite may do the trick. 

• Like 1

I'm on a group text with 3 former coworkers - we're all relatively young (29-32), college educated, work in a pretty progressive field (immigration advocacy) and grew up in roughly the same Houston burbs.  1 of them is super liberal, 1 is more left-leaning and the other is a Republican.

It's mostly just funny memes and articles.  Nothing of substance due to political differences.  Yesterday, we're joking about the articles regarding the FDA saying you can't call almond milk "milk" because the government definition of milk is something that is milked from cows.  Someone jokes "my tax dollars are paying for this?" and I said "bigger waste than paying for Eric Trump to go skiing in Aspen" and the Republican responds "yeah, but we also paid for Obama's family trips."

Irredeemable. Deplorable. Hypocritical.

Eric Trump - 35 years old, worth $300 million

Sasha and Malia Obama (at the time) - underage and lived in the White House with their parents

But black.

Edited by Js1

9 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Is he basing his policy on some weird version of Oregon Trail?  (Donald, don't sell all our medicine.)

This is the part in Sim City where you're bored of your beautiful, sprawling city and just start pounding the shit out of the disaster button.  Earthquake! Fire! Aliens! Toxic smog! Whirlpool!

This all feels like we're descending deeper and deeper into some bizarre world where normal rules don't apply. A lady on CNN described it as Alice in Wonderland. I can't decide if it's that or some kind of Dr. Seuss world.

Edited by retread

46 minutes ago, brown water said:

Or they are jealous of anyone that's labeled elite.  I bet someone could sway some of their support by calling them elite and slapping a word in front they don't understand.  The gullibility elite or the upwardly stagnant elite may do the trick. 

Trump did that at a recent "rally," I believe?

imo, the Russians were spot fucking on in hijacking this organization of fascist gun nuts.  Bravo.

The young Russian woman clearly understood the political significance of the N.R.A. In one email, court papers say, she described the central “place and influence” of the N.R.A. in the Republican Party. Through her pro-gun activism, she became a fixture of the conservative movement and was photographed with influential Republican politicians. A Justice Department filing quotes Torshin as comparing her to another young, famous Russian agent: “You have upstaged Anna Chapman. She poses with toy pistols, while you are being published with real ones.”

If the N.R.A. as an organization turns out to be compromised, it would shake conservative politics to its foundation. And this is no longer a far-fetched possibility. “I serve on both the Intelligence Committee and the Finance Committee,” Senator Ron Wyden, Democrat of Oregon, told me. “So I have a chance to really look at this through the periscope of both committees. And what I have wondered about for some time is this whole issue of whether the N.R.A. is getting subverted as a Russian asset.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/20/opinion/republican-party-national-rifle-association-trump-russia.html

59 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I'm on a group text with 3 former coworkers - we're all relatively young (29-32), college educated, work in a pretty progressive field (immigration advocacy) and grew up in roughly the same Houston burbs.  1 of them is super liberal, 1 is more left-leaning and the other is a Republican.

It's mostly just funny memes and articles.  Nothing of substance due to political differences.  Yesterday, we're joking about the articles regarding the FDA saying you can't call almond milk "milk" because the government definition of milk is something that is milked from cows.  Someone jokes "my tax dollars are paying for this?" and I said "bigger waste than paying for Eric Trump to go skiing in Aspen" and the Republican responds "yeah, but we also paid for Obama's family trips."

Irredeemable. Deplorable. Hypocritical.

Eric Trump - 35 years old, worth $300 million

Sasha and Malia Obama (at the time) - underage and lived in the White House with their parents

But black.

Obama’s India trip cost $200m a day!

I’d like to applaud Bernie Sanders for a moment.
Rand Paul...not so much.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) on Thursday blocked a resolution from Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) that backed the intelligence community's assessment of Russian election interference and demanded President Trump speak with special counsel Robert Mueller.

Sanders asked for unanimous consent to try to pass his resolution, saying senators "must act" if they are "serious about preserving American democracy."

"The Congress must make it clear that we accept the assessment of our intelligence community with regard to Russian election interfering in our country and in other democracies," Sanders said during a Senate floor speech.

Under Senate rules, any one senator could block his request.

Sanders's resolution would also demand already passed sanctions legislation be fully implemented, move to protect the election system and "not accept" interference in Mueller's investigation, including the firing of Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.

But Paul objected to the resolution, saying it was a sign of "Trump derangement syndrome" coming to the Senate. Paul has been one of Trump's most vocal defenders in Congress in the wake of the president's sit-down with Russian President Vladimir Putin earlier this week.

The hatred for the president is so intense that partisans would rather risk war than give diplomacy a chance," he said.

Paul questioned why senators would not want to have relations with Russia.

"We should stand firm and say 'Stay the hell out of our elections,' but we should not stick our head in the ground and say we're not going to talk to them," he said.

But Sanders fired back that Paul's objection was unrelated to his resolution, which he noted doesn't push for cutting off talks with the Russians.

"What the senator said is totally irrelevant to what is in this resolution," Sanders said.

The resolution comes as Congress is weighing how to push back against Russia after Trump sparked bipartisan backlash during his meeting with Putin on Monday in Helsinki, Finland.

Trump refused to condemn Russia for interfering in the 2016 presidential election during a joint press conference on Monday. He then tried to walk back his comments on Tuesday, saying he accepted the intelligence community's findings but added that "other people" could have been involved too.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/397879-rand-paul-blocks-sanders-russia-resolution-calls-it-crazy-hatred

Rand intentionally conflating one thing with another in an idiotic attempt to present a patina of principled reasons for his opposition. #TeamBoucher

When your main goal is too avoid interaction with the outside world, you end up in some really bad company supporting really terrible ideas.  As longhornmatt mentioned the other day, the crazy was always there.  We just ignored it.

Edited by kevwun

12 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

"intellectual elite" means "smart people" and trumpkins don't like smart people

Yeah, quoting myself, come at me bro.

A fine example of the GOP rejecting the "intellectual elite":

Body heat is making Earth warmer, and climate change is caused by the planet's movement toward the sun.

Those are the claims of Pennsylvania's Republican gubernatorial candidate, former state Sen. Scott Wagner. At a town hall event on Wednesday in Glenside, Pa., he described a teenage woman as "young and naive" when she asked about his positions on climate change. Wagner told her he cared more about fixing sewage overflows than about reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

"You said climate is a result of people's body heat and refusing to take action on the issue," said Rose Strauss, an 18-year-old activist. "Does this have anything to do with the $200,000 that you have taken from the fossil fuel industry?"

Wagner, standing before a small crowd, responded: "Rose, I appreciate you being here, but you're 18 years old; you know you're a little young and naive. Rose, I appreciate you being here, but here's the question: Are we here to elect a governor, or are we here to elect a scientist? I'm here to be the governor."

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Man, trump's body language is always so fucking submissive around putin and so defensive whenever talking about russia. 

Trump likes to shake the hands vigorously of foreign leaders, stand tall, shove them aside for a photo op.

Putin, who is listed at 5' 6" or so, just physically towers over Trump at all times.  

Trump is such a fucking cuck to Putin.