Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Vietnam was before I was born too but there has been a lot written about the subject. As Wildcat mentioned, the continuation of the war resulted in a lot more deaths that could have been avoided.

That's fine but you can't put that all on Nixon.  You can absolutely put all this fraud at Trump's feet.  That's how he's operated his entire life.  Fraud and Trump go together like hookers and herpes.   Yes, technically you could have one without the other, but you sure as shit wouldn't put your money on it. 

4 hours ago, Chooky said:

Biofuel mandate hurting farmers even more than soy tariffs.  Rural tears!  Haha.  Suck it, Cornflakes!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-10/trump-ethanol-moves-could-be-worse-for-farmers-than-soy-tariffs

On Monday, Trump acknowledged the impending pain that farmers may feel from the trade war. “Our farmers are great patriots,” Trump said to Washington reporters. “They understand that they’re doing this for the country. We’ll make it up to them.”

I wonder if the hayseeds will swallow that hook again.

You guys know Nixon ended the Vietnam war right? He didn’t start it.  Yeah, he delayed peace talks for political purposes but there was no guarantee those talks would have produced any results.  Nixon was guilty of serious malfeasance including unnecessarily escalating the war but to put the clusterfuck of the Vietnam war on him is ignoring some glaring facts IMO.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You guys know Nixon ended the Vietnam war right? He didn’t start it.  Yeah, he delayed peace talks for political purposes but there was no guarantee those talks would have produced any results.  Nixon was guilty of serious malfeasance including unnecessarily escalating the war but to put the clusterfuck of the Vietnam war on him is ignoring some glaring facts IMO.

What the actual fuck? It took you 56 minutes to go from not being able to assess it because you aren’t old enough to having a definitive opinion. Can we not get on a Vietnam sidetrack please? 

7 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

What the actual fuck? It took you 56 minutes to go from not being able to assess it because you aren’t old enough to having a definitive opinion. Can we not get on a Vietnam sidetrack please? 

Hear hear,  FUCK Trump....

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I can’t accurately assess because I didn’t live through it but I can debate some of the historical facts.  Nixon is nowhere near the level of malfeasance Trump has displayed in 15 months.  Nixon never fired his FBI Director and he actually got re-elected. He also resigned with some dignity and didn’t go down kicking and screaming like a bitch at the very end.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Were two long years of bitter public debate over Watergate. Nixon didn't step down until leaders of his own party + public pressure forced him to resign. Not sure the turtle and Paul Ryan have a backbone however.

Do you think Paul Ryan will still be Speaker this time next year?

I lived through Watergate.  I was a boy, but I distinctly remember watching Nixon resign when my family & I were on vacation at a summer fish camp in the Ozarks.  The whole camp gathered around a small B&W TV to watch his "I am not a crook" declaration.

News was measured out very carefully in those days.  Most people got their dose from Walter Cronkite.  Some filled in the blanks with the daily newspaper.  There wasn't the 24-hour news cycle we now see, nor was the editorializing so rampant.  

54 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Think it helps to put Trump in perspective. Have been some truly evil US Presidents. Will change my tune if Trump goes full warmonger. 

This is a good point that its easy to forget. W started a war for no good reason that cost thousands of troops' lives. We are still paying for that fuckery.

At least Trump hasn't gotten thousands killed (yet).

Conservatives did not see Watergate as a triumph of the independent press

Watergate, of all things, brought conservatives back into the fold. The emerging scandal absorbed the administration not long after Nixon’s second term began. For a generation of mainstream journalists, the scandal would confirm the power of the press to serve as a check on corruption, no matter how powerful the perpetrator. For conservatives, however, the scandal and the press’s role in prosecuting it looked much different. They saw the press as trying to undo the decisive results of the 1972 election. And if the media was so terrified of Nixon, then maybe there was something to the man after all.

Consider how conservative radio host Clarence Manion framed the role of the media in the early days of the Watergate hearings. In an interview with Dan Lyons, an anticommunist Catholic writer, Manion directly attacked the freedom of the press. That noble-sounding phrase, he argued, was something journalists hid behind to appear uniquely vulnerable to government overreach; in fact, the media held the cards.

“The result,” he told his listeners, “is that a gullible public is caught in the talons of a power that ironically disguises itself as freedom.” Lyons echoed the charge, arguing that Watergate had indeed exposed a dangerous concentration of power — but in the press, not the executive branch.

As the rest of the nation followed the unfolding story of corruption and cover-ups, the Watergate-as-liberal-conspiracy narrative quickly took hold in conservative media.

Hmm

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2017/5/12/15630372/watergate-impeachment-conservative-public-opinion-trump-history

55 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I can’t accurately assess because I didn’t live through it but I can debate some of the historical facts.  Nixon is nowhere near the level of malfeasance Trump has displayed in 15 months.  Nixon never fired his FBI Director and he actually got re-elected. He also resigned with some dignity and didn’t go down kicking and screaming like a bitch at the very end.

Look at what Trump has reduced you to...defending Nixon. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Look at what Trump has reduced you to...defending Nixon. 

Next stop...

I can’t accurately assess because I didn’t live through it but I can debate some of the historical facts.  Hitler was nowhere near the level of malfeasance Trump has displayed in 15 months.  Hitler never fired his SS director and he actually got re-elected. He also committed suicide with some dignity and didn’t go down kicking and screaming like a bitch at the very end.

56 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

This is a good point that its easy to forget. W started a war for no good reason that cost thousands of troops' lives. We are still paying for that fuckery.

At least Trump hasn't gotten thousands killed (yet).

I can't get behind this take.

Trump inherited a favorable economy, relatively few foreign threats, and a mandate to make occasional hollow gestures towards some bullshit campaign promises that no intelligent person expected him to ever follow through on. Bush got the dot com bust, 9/11, and conservative base that expected him to seize every opportunity to advance their agenda. Trump's situation is the exact opposite in every way. Hell, the GOP  is *thankful* that no one has yet caught a photo of him at a $2-steak-strip-club wearing a soiled child's bib covered buffalo wing remnants that are also all over the rest of his shitty body.

Had Trump inherited 9/11, on the other hand, he'd already be bombing the whole of the middle east back into the stone ages. Even if you don't believe me, let's just agree *not* to use past presidents to diminish just how shitty this horrible human being's aborted shitshow of a "presidency" has truly been.

Edited by ndawg

27 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Next stop...

I can’t accurately assess because I didn’t live through it but I can debate some of the historical facts.  Hitler was nowhere near the level of malfeasance Trump has displayed in 15 months.  Hitler never fired his SS director and he actually got re-elected. He also committed suicide with some dignity and didn’t go down kicking and screaming like a bitch at the very end.

Wait, what?

Of course both Nixon and Trump subscribe to the tenets of the “madman” foreign policy, with Trump erring on the side of bluff and tough talk. Problem being is that’s a terrible long-term strategy given kompromat, incompetence of Trump admin and the alienation of allies and humanitarians.

34 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

He's not wrong. Nixon's legacy is (rightly) irreversibly tainted by the Watergate scandal et al, but he did do some good things. And lmao @ comparing him to Hitler.

that's the second time today I've seen  a form of "taint" used on this very board.  

Taint. 

• Like 1

Even if you toss out the Muller investigation which could show him colluding with the enemy to influence the election and other assorted acts of treason, you still have him trying to destroy the fabric of American democracy through his claims of a rigged election during the campaign and his war on the 4th estate.

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

that's the second time today I've seen  a form of "taint" used on this very board.  

Taint. 

An infamous ditty for you:

Lick my taint

Lick my taint

Tastes like butter

But it aint

2 hours ago, Fozzz said:

Say what you will about Trump, but his admin hasn’t been involved in anything nearly as criminal as Iran-Contra. 

Imo the three worst scandals in American history go:

Watergate

Iran-Contra

Teapot Dome 

I choose to leave bad administration out of it, otherwise the Bush response to 9/11 would probably own half of the top 10 if not more. From the PATRIOT Act to the bogus casus belli for the Iraq War to paying journalists to support the message to outing Plame because of her husband publishing pieces the administration didn't like and so much more. Hell the more I think about it the more I think I can get 10 things in the top 20 that could be summed up as "The Cheney Files".

Imo the three worst scandals in American history go:
Watergate
Iran-Contra
Teapot Dome 

I choose to leave bad administration out of it, otherwise the Bush response to 9/11 would probably own half of the top 10 if not more. From the PATRIOT Act to the bogus casus belli for the Iraq War to paying journalists to support the message to outing Plame because of her husband publishing pieces the administration didn't like and so much more. Hell the more I think about it the more I think I can get 10 things in the top 20 that could be summed up as "The Cheney Files".
Add the entire TSA to the list for W.

6 hours ago, Fozzz said:

Say what you will about Trump, but his admin hasn’t been involved in anything nearly as criminal as Iran-Contra. 

I suppose it depends on how you compare that to aiding and abetting a hostile foreign power engaging in acts of war against our constitutional democracy.

But yeah, when it comes to Republicans doing disservice to our country and our values, it can be tough to gauge who's doing the most damage.