Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't know that MAGA is "political speech".  I don't find the phrase inherently disconcerting; I find the message disconcerting because I know how it's loaded and what is behind it. 

Of course you don't. You're not in the crosshairs.

Now try the difficult task of putting yourself in someone else's shoes.

That said, it's still protected speech, just as those stupid "Fuck You I'm From Texas" t-shirts were, and a Confederate flag is.

How is the legal status of the speech relevant? Is the Latino dude an officer of the law?

My only point is that merely wearing a MAGA hat, regardless of setting, does not justify physical retaliation.  It just doesn't.  Wearing a hat that says "fuck you honky" wouldn't, or "fuck you nigga" wouldn't.  Trump supporters wore t-shirts supporting the lynching of journalists.  I found them disgusting, but hey, 'murica.  Knock yourself out.

"It just doesn't." isn't an argument. It's the verbal equivalent of stomping your foot and pouting.

"MAGA" is a phrase that promotes bigotry and violence. Taking the hat away and throwing soda in the owner's face is not a disproportionate response by the lights of someone who is targeted violently by that political movement.

What does "MAGA" mean.

9 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

If MAGA is political speech then so is "Be Like Ike" pin or a "Stronger Together" shirt.

So the political movement behind Donald Trump is not based on white supremacist beliefs and policy desires? Answer honestly.

Regardless, I agree with Jimmyjazz and think he's hit a bullseye and further think that it stands to reason that if you are attacked or punished for wearing or otherwise supporting your country's leader, then by definition the rebels are those doing the attacking.

Awww look at your little shiny boots.

The minorities in the video, the Dem's who want to physically attack MAGA upon site, etc. are staging a revolution?

Perfectly. Smooth. Brain.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

"MAGA" is a phrase that promotes bigotry and violence. Taking the hat away and throwing soda in the owner's face is not a disproportionate response by the lights of someone who is targeted violently by that political movement.

We just disagree.  I'm sorry this bothers you.  It's part of the bedrock of our republic -- I get to say whatever vile shit I want (save a few specific examples) and you don't get to physically retaliate without fear of repercussion.  That's just the way it is.

The way I see it, if you wear a MAGA hat you are a maggot unworthy of my time.  A MAGAt, if you will.  (I call trademark.)  I get your point:  as a white male I have little to fear, and that's true.  But I can't in good conscience say it's perfectly OK to physically respond to an insulting message when it's a minority being threatened.  That doesn't mean I don't secretly applaud them for doing so, but there's a risk involved.  There should be.

Stupid tangent on this thread.

If all that was "said" was the political speech of "MAGA" on their hats, good luck selling that as "fighting words" in court.  It won't fly.  Not anywhere, not with any judge.  You can believe that it would, but you'd be dead wrong.

So, to summarize this pointless-ass tangent;

1 -- political speech like MAGA on clothing is not fighting words.

2 -- thus, unless the skinny losers said something ELSE, beforehand, that WAS fighting words....the dude who assaulted them was in the wrong.

3 -- and, strategically speaking, don't give the MAGidiots what they want -- video that makes them out to be poor oppressed souls.  Point at them.  Laugh at them.  Comment on the 100% certain status of their virginity.  But don't lay a finger on them.

So, can we go back to the topic of the world's biggest dotard currently holding the office of POTUS?

• Like 3

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Some immigrant U.S. Army reservists and recruits who enlisted in the military with a promised path to citizenship are being abruptly discharged, the Associated Press has learned.

The AP was unable to quantify how many men and women who enlisted through the special recruitment program have been booted from the Army, but immigration attorneys say they know of more than 40 who have been discharged or whose status has become questionable, jeopardizing their futures.

"It was my dream to serve in the military," said reservist Lucas Calixto, a Brazilian immigrant who filed a lawsuit against the Army last week. "Since this country has been so good to me, I thought it was the least I could do to give back to my adopted country and serve in the United States military."

Some of the service members say they were not told why they were being discharged. Others who pressed for answers said the Army informed them they'd been labeled as security risks because they have relatives abroad or because the Defense Department had not completed background checks on them.

Spokespeople for the Pentagon and the Army said that, due to the pending litigation, they were unable to explain the discharges or respond to questions about whether there have been policy changes in any of the military branches.

Eligible recruits are required to have legal status in the U.S., such as a student visa, before enlisting. More than 5,000 immigrants were recruited into the program in 2016, and an estimated 10,000 are currently serving. Most go the Army, but some also go to the other military branches.

To become citizens, the service members need an honorable service designation, which can come after even just a few days at boot camp. But the recently discharged service members have had their basic training delayed, so they can't be naturalized.

Margaret Stock, an Alaska-based immigration attorney and a retired Army Reserve lieutenant colonel who helped create the immigrant recruitment program, said she's been inundated over the past several days by recruits who have been abruptly discharged.

All had signed enlistment contracts and taken an Army oath, Stock said. Many were reservists who had been attending unit drills, receiving pay and undergoing training, while others had been in a "delayed entry" program, she said.

"Immigrants have been serving in the Army since 1775," Stock said. "We wouldn't have won the revolution without immigrants. And we're not going to win the global war on terrorism today without immigrants."

read more here:

https://apnews.com/38334c4d061e493fb108bd975b5a1a5d

17 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Are we not allowed to say ebonics? Is that not PC? I thought there were courses in various higher learning institutions validating it as rhetoric or cultural anthropology or something.

The chain letters you're receiving to your Excite account are way, way out of date. I'd suggest not using them as a source if cultural info or terminology.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Stupid tangent on this thread.

If all that was "said" was the political speech of "MAGA" on their hats, good luck selling that as "fighting words" in court.  It won't fly.  Not anywhere, not with any judge.  You can believe that it would, but you'd be dead wrong.

So, to summarize this pointless-ass tangent;

1 -- political speech like MAGA on clothing is not fighting words.

2 -- thus, unless the skinny losers said something ELSE, beforehand, that WAS fighting words....the dude who assaulted them was in the wrong.

3 -- and, strategically speaking, don't give the MAGidiots what they want -- video that makes them out to be poor oppressed souls.  Point at them.  Laugh at them.  Comment on the 100% certain status of their virginity.  But don't lay a finger on them.

So, can we go back to the topic of the world's biggest dotard currently holding the office of POTUS?

Seems to me that MAGA hat discussion and repercussions do belong on the Trump thread.

Edited by zork

1 minute ago, zork said:

Seems to me that MAGA hat discussion and repercussions do belong on the Trump thread.

Broadly, sure.  But it's much more suited to a discussion to what Trump supporters/opposition are doing -- put it in the alt-right/alt-left threads.

But the greater point is that it's a pointless conversation.  Someone wearing political gear that you don't agree with is not "fighting words" so as to justify an assault.  Unless there were OTHER fighting words not captured on the video, the hat-snatcher was in the wrong.  A jillion posts discussing something that clear is....well, fuck it....it's how we roll around here.  Have at it.

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Some immigrant U.S. Army reservists and recruits who enlisted in the military with a promised path to citizenship are being abruptly discharged, the Associated Press has learned.

The AP was unable to quantify how many men and women who enlisted through the special recruitment program have been booted from the Army, but immigration attorneys say they know of more than 40 who have been discharged or whose status has become questionable, jeopardizing their futures.

"It was my dream to serve in the military," said reservist Lucas Calixto, a Brazilian immigrant who filed a lawsuit against the Army last week. "Since this country has been so good to me, I thought it was the least I could do to give back to my adopted country and serve in the United States military."

Some of the service members say they were not told why they were being discharged. Others who pressed for answers said the Army informed them they'd been labeled as security risks because they have relatives abroad or because the Defense Department had not completed background checks on them.

Spokespeople for the Pentagon and the Army said that, due to the pending litigation, they were unable to explain the discharges or respond to questions about whether there have been policy changes in any of the military branches.

Eligible recruits are required to have legal status in the U.S., such as a student visa, before enlisting. More than 5,000 immigrants were recruited into the program in 2016, and an estimated 10,000 are currently serving. Most go the Army, but some also go to the other military branches.

To become citizens, the service members need an honorable service designation, which can come after even just a few days at boot camp. But the recently discharged service members have had their basic training delayed, so they can't be naturalized.

Margaret Stock, an Alaska-based immigration attorney and a retired Army Reserve lieutenant colonel who helped create the immigrant recruitment program, said she's been inundated over the past several days by recruits who have been abruptly discharged.

All had signed enlistment contracts and taken an Army oath, Stock said. Many were reservists who had been attending unit drills, receiving pay and undergoing training, while others had been in a "delayed entry" program, she said.

"Immigrants have been serving in the Army since 1775," Stock said. "We wouldn't have won the revolution without immigrants. And we're not going to win the global war on terrorism today without immigrants."

read more here:

https://apnews.com/38334c4d061e493fb108bd975b5a1a5d

Can this President enact a single policy decision that I can agree with?  What a fucking imbecile.

2 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Again with the strange call out for using the term "ebonics" to describe minority/cultural slang(?)-- is that word so dated and not cool and hip? Is it like saying bae and fleek and ebonics and I'm betraying my lack of jazz...or is it jive?

Ebonics is not the preferred term, dude.

African American Vernacular English is what you're describing.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Broadly, sure.  But it's much more suited to a discussion to what Trump supporters/opposition are doing -- put it in the alt-right/alt-left threads.

But the greater point is that it's a pointless conversation.  Someone wearing political gear that you don't agree with is not "fighting words" so as to justify an assault.  Unless there were OTHER fighting words not captured on the video, the hat-snatcher was in the wrong.  A jillion posts discussing something that clear is....well, fuck it....it's how we roll around here.  Have at it.

I guess you remembered your verbiage that MAGA, or supporting Trump, is Republican and not necessarily alt-right?  JK

1 minute ago, zork said:

I guess you remembered your verbiage that MAGA, or supporting Trump, is Republican and not necessarily alt-right?  JK

It doesn't matter what it is -- it's just political speech.  It doesn't give you legal basis to punch anyone.  That's it, not much else to discuss.

5 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Again with the strange call out for using the term "ebonics" to describe minority/cultural slang(?)-- is that word so dated and not cool and hip? Is it like saying bae and fleek and ebonics and I'm betraying my lack of jazz...or is it jive?

I was really focusing more about the "courses in various institutions of higher learning" thing, which was a frequent refrain from the late 90s whenever people used to share their social outrage via chain emails.  I don't even know if it's true or not but it's 21+ years old, regardless.

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

"Excuse me, did I say 50 million? I meant 50 trillion, Obama would have lost 50 trillion, and you know, a lot of people say that he did kill 50 trillion people, I don't know, that's just what people are saying, we'll see" 

31 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

We just disagree.  I'm sorry this bothers you.  It's part of the bedrock of our republic -- I get to say whatever vile shit I want (save a few specific examples) and you don't get to physically retaliate without fear of repercussion.  That's just the way it is.

Who said the guy should not have fear of repercussion? You're inventing shit.

I think the guy who grabbed the hat would've been perfectly happy for any of the 3 to stand up and do something.

I get your point:  as a white male I have little to fear, and that's true.  But I can't in good conscience say it's perfectly OK to physically respond to an insulting message when it's a minority being threatened.  That doesn't mean I don't secretly applaud them for doing so, but there's a risk involved.  There should be.

Wouldn't want the fight against racists and fascists to offend your good conscience.

If you couldn't tell, I'm making the jerk-off motion.

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I don't care about what would fly in court. I don't know why anyone is talking about what would fly in court. What does any of this have to do with court?

No one is arguing the hat-grabber should be free from all consequence.

I'm saying that what he did was hilarious, cool, and good. I don't give a shit if it's legal.

Birther2.0

It’s obvious he’s scared of Elizabeth Warren and Kamala Harris. He’s already going after them two+ years before 2020 election.

Trump on Elizabeth Warren: "I'm going to get one of those little DNA kits and if I'm debating her, we will toss it to her, very gently so it doesn't injure her arm, and we'll say, 'Pocahontas, I'll give you a million dollars if you take the test to show you're an Indian!'"

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

Now this motherfucker is kicking immigrants out of the army before they can get their citizenship.

“It was my dream to serve in the military,” said reservist Lucas Calixto, a Brazilian immigrant who filed a lawsuit against the Army last week. “Since this country has been so good to me, I thought it was the least I could do to give back to my adopted country and serve in the United States military.”

Some of the service members say they were not told why they were being discharged. Others who pressed for answers said the Army informed them they’d been labeled as security risks because they have relatives abroad or because the Defense Department had not completed background checks on them.

To become citizens, the service members need an honorable service designation, which can come after even just a few days at boot camp. But the recently discharged service members have had their basic training delayed, so they can’t be naturalized.

Margaret Stock, an Alaska-based immigration attorney and a retired Army Reserve lieutenant colonel who helped create the immigrant recruitment program, said she’s been inundated over the past several days by recruits who have been abruptly discharged.

All had signed enlistment contracts and taken an Army oath, Stock said. Many were reservists who had been attending unit drills, receiving pay and undergoing training, while others had been in a “delayed entry” program, she said.

“Immigrants have been serving in the Army since 1775,” Stock said. “We wouldn’t have won the revolution without immigrants. And we’re not going to win the global war on terrorism today without immigrants.”

Stock said the service members she’s heard from had been told the Defense Department had not managed to put them through extensive background checks, which include CIA, FBI and National Intelligence Agency screenings and counterintelligence interviews. Therefore, by default, they do not meet the background check requirement.

“It’s a vicious cycle,” she said.

The AP interviewed Calixto and recruits from Pakistan and Iran, all of whom said they were devastated by their unexpected discharges.

“Now the great feeling I had when I enlisted is going down the drain,” said Calixto, 28. “I don’t understand why this is happening.”

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Who said the guy should not have fear of repercussion? You're inventing shit.

I think the guy who grabbed the hat would've been perfectly happy for any of the 3 to stand up and do something.

Wouldn't want the fight against racists and fascists to offend your good conscience.

If you couldn't tell, I'm making the jerk-off motion.

I don't care about what would fly in court. I don't know why anyone is talking about what would fly in court. What does any of this have to do with court?

No one is arguing the hat-grabber should be free from all consequence.

I'm saying that what he did was hilarious, cool, and good. I don't give a shit if it's legal.

Hey, here's a concept:  FUCK YOU.  I'm generally on your side, but sometimes (like today) you struggle so mightily to make a coherent point you become less than helpful in the good fight.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Hey, here's a concept:  FUCK YOU.  I'm generally on your side, but sometimes (like today) you struggle so mightily to make a coherent point you become less than helpful in the good fight.

You’ve been groveratted!!

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’d love to see her debate Trump.  

Being a debate champion, she’d probably verbally castrate him and cut his dick off just for fun.

What relevance does being a debate champion have when the panel of judges is a horde of braying fascists and pearl-clutching centrists?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

What relevance does being a debate champion have when the panel of judges is a horde of braying fascists and pearl-clutching centrists?

Very little.  There’s probably a 0.00001% chance of Trump ever debating Elizabeth Warren in any forum.

On 6/20/2018 at 4:55 PM, GRHorn said:

Talking tough about immigration bought him something politically, he’s just following through on it in a way that a lot of people, myself included, think is too harsh. I’m just laughing at all the outrage people are flinging around about this when this has been happening.  Same thing when people talk about bombing civilians in Yemen or the first amendment and journalism being under attack. This shit has been going on before Trump.  Im supposed to think that the majority of people on the left now have principles and have always cared?  GTFOH. 

Are you really as dumb as you sound ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Birther2.0

It’s obvious he’s scared of Elizabeth Warren and Kamala Harris. He’s already going after them two+ years before 2020 election.

Trump on Elizabeth Warren: "I'm going to get one of those little DNA kits and if I'm debating her, we will toss it to her, very gently so it doesn't injure her arm, and we'll say, 'Pocahontas, I'll give you a million dollars if you take the test to show you're an Indian!'"

Injure her arm and metoo comments. Wow. Cadet Bone Spurs is really pissed that he and his supporters can’t rape women anymore. 

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Birther2.0

If anyone knows about DNA, it's someone who raw dogged a porn star.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1