Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

35 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

"We aren't racist or xenophobic!   We support legal immigration; just not illegal immigrants because they aren't doing it the right way!"

— people who support the guy who is kicking immigrants out of the military before they can become citizens, among numerous other measures to cut legal immigration and asylum. 

Seriously... As someone whose early relatives "earned" their citizenship after being conscripted into the Union Army after arriving in Philadelphia, the idea that these folks are not worthy of becoming Americans is appalling.

And they have requested and volunteered for this chance... they weren't "volun-told" the way my great great great great (etc.) uncles were.

Trump reminds me of a guy on a three day drunk. He starts out with a Friday party, boisterous, loud and obnoxious, continually making inappropriate comments and making people feel uncomfortable. Tells big lies to impress people. Then he drives home stone faced drunk and endangers everyone around him.

By Saturday, he's bloated and red faced but starts drinking again and heads to the country club without a shower. The only members that will play golf with him are the ones in similar shape. But this is part of his game. Surround yourself with enablers and people as gross as you are so the bubble isn't pierced with the cutting knife of reality.

Over the 18 holes, he continues to drink and tells tall tales about all the women that hit on him during the party last night. In reality, the number is zero, but in his vodka soaked brain, he left the party with Miss America. He's rude to the workers at the club, despite bragging about his wealth, he doesn't tip. There's nothing in his pocket but a couple of crumpled ones and his club dues are in arrears.

By Sunday, he stinks and has pissed himself. The dog hasn't been fed in two days and the house reeks of vomit and shit. He stumbles around looking for an old bottle, but it's all gone, just like his family, his friends and business associates. He's decrepit and broken, but still sees himself as riding high and as the guy that's the life of the party.

Eventually, the sheriff will knock on the door and deliver a summons or an eviction notice.

He's hopeless, because he'll never admit he has a problem. Everyone else has the problem. Everyone else wishes he'd just go away.

• Like 4

The top 15 Democratic presidential candidates for 2020, ranked

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/07/06/the-top-15-democratic-presidential-candidates-for-2020-ranked-3/

Fucking Bernie.

3. Sen. Kamala D. Harris (Calif.): Harris recently told MSNBC’s Kasie Hunt that she’s “not ruling out” a 2020 presidential run. But her actions may speak louder than her words. She was the first lawmaker to call for Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen to resign over the Trump administration’s family-separation policy. She has also somewhat recently written off accepting money from corporate PACs. (Previous ranking: 4)

2. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (Mass.): She continues to set the progressive tone, including being a leading early voice for the abolition of ICE. And some key Clinton backers sound intrigued by her. (Previous ranking: 2)

1. Sen. Bernie Sanders (Vt.): Sanders for some reason keeps insisting he won’t become a Democrat. He announced recently that he’ll seek the Democratic nomination in his 2018 reelection campaign, but also that if (and when) he wins the nomination, he’ll turn it down. Given his clear interest in seeking the Democratic presidential nomination in 2020, it seems an unnecessary bit of partisan hairsplitting. (Previous ranking: 1)

8 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Kamala is trash. 

Care to elaborate?

Also, I'm tired of saying it, but fuck Bernie. If you want the Democratic party's support for president, you can't just use the label when it conveniences you. Warren, Harris, Biden, etc. have been out there raising money for and campaigning for Democrats and the national party.  Part of the job is fundraising and supporting the national party, period.

Edited by Js1

Just now, Js1 said:

Care to elaborate?

Also, I'm tired of saying it, but fuck Bernie. If you want the Democratic party's support for president, you can't just use the label when it conveniences you.

I don't like cops. 

LOL MS-13 is taking your jobs! You must be really awful if some guy with 9 face and neck tattoos is going to take your job.

Also, the failed WAR ON DRUGS is letting drugs pour into our cities. Try that first.

Anarchy, amnesty and chaos - all three tenants of a Trump presidency. Anarchy as Nazis run over innocent bystanders. Amnesty for criminals, corruption and graft. Chaos for our allies and institutions.

G - gaslight

O - obstruct

P - project

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I'd love for Barbara Lee to run, or at least take speaker if the Dems take the house.  She actually has values. 

I'd prefer whomever the candidate is, be under 55 yo.  I'm tired of baby boomer politicians

• Like 3

Just now, DixonHur said:

I'd prefer whomever the candidate is, be under 55 yo.  I'm tired of baby boomer politicians

I don't care about age as much as having fewer former prosecutors, lawyers, bankers, etc., taking up D seats in Congress.  Hard to have class consciousness without having been a member.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

This x1000.

Enough. Time for new blood.

While I think Biden would be a phenomenal president and should have ran in 2016 (but I understand why he didn't), I agree with this.

Kamala Harris (55 in 2020)

Cory Booker (51 in 2020)

Gillibrand (53 in 2020)

Garcetti (49 in 2020)

Murphy (47 in 2020)

Biden and Bernie would be almost 80. Warren will be past 70. Hickenlooper will be almost 70.

The issue is they are completely out of touch and old enough that they're susceptible to the "I got mine, fuck you" mindset.

The ones in their 50s have to live much longer with their decisions. 

I don't think "having to live with their decisions" is a big driver for younger candidates.

If Bernie runs, I'll jump off a cliff.  His idiot supporters are a huge part of the reason we're in this mess right now.

I like Warren, a lot, but she is just too old.

I can definitely see Harris being the strongest choice.

30 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

This x1000.

Enough. Time for new blood.

It's not even about new blood but how we gonna have an 80 year run our country? I don't want them driving a car much less running our country.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I now watch The Handmaiden’s Tale to cheer up.

That’s a great line.  If only you got the name of the show right.  You must be a big fan. 

16 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Some immigrant U.S. Army reservists and recruits who enlisted in the military with a promised path to citizenship are being abruptly discharged, the Associated Press has learned.

The AP was unable to quantify how many men and women who enlisted through the special recruitment program have been booted from the Army, but immigration attorneys say they know of more than 40 who have been discharged or whose status has become questionable, jeopardizing their futures.

"It was my dream to serve in the military," said reservist Lucas Calixto, a Brazilian immigrant who filed a lawsuit against the Army last week. "Since this country has been so good to me, I thought it was the least I could do to give back to my adopted country and serve in the United States military."

Some of the service members say they were not told why they were being discharged. Others who pressed for answers said the Army informed them they'd been labeled as security risks because they have relatives abroad or because the Defense Department had not completed background checks on them.

Spokespeople for the Pentagon and the Army said that, due to the pending litigation, they were unable to explain the discharges or respond to questions about whether there have been policy changes in any of the military branches.

Eligible recruits are required to have legal status in the U.S., such as a student visa, before enlisting. More than 5,000 immigrants were recruited into the program in 2016, and an estimated 10,000 are currently serving. Most go the Army, but some also go to the other military branches.

To become citizens, the service members need an honorable service designation, which can come after even just a few days at boot camp. But the recently discharged service members have had their basic training delayed, so they can't be naturalized.

Margaret Stock, an Alaska-based immigration attorney and a retired Army Reserve lieutenant colonel who helped create the immigrant recruitment program, said she's been inundated over the past several days by recruits who have been abruptly discharged.

All had signed enlistment contracts and taken an Army oath, Stock said. Many were reservists who had been attending unit drills, receiving pay and undergoing training, while others had been in a "delayed entry" program, she said.

"Immigrants have been serving in the Army since 1775," Stock said. "We wouldn't have won the revolution without immigrants. And we're not going to win the global war on terrorism today without immigrants."

read more here:

https://apnews.com/38334c4d061e493fb108bd975b5a1a5d

Is this fake news?  Color me shocked.  

Again, this is the only person currently running for president as a Democrat. Rep. John Delaney, very succesful businessman, age 55. The only former CEO of a publicly traded company serving in congress, his pet issue is ending partisan gerrymandering and has the highest bipartisanship ranking among all house Democrats. This is less due to moderate ideology and more due to intense pragmatism and orientation towards results. 

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't think "having to live with their decisions" is a big driver for younger candidates.

If Bernie runs, I'll jump off a cliff.  His idiot supporters are a huge part of the reason we're in this mess right now.

Bernie Sanders is just Donald Trump on the other side of the spectrum. If we have a Trump v Sanders in 2020 that will amazingly be an even worse choice for us than Trump v Clinton

The baby boomers have always thought Bernie to be insane to the point he’s speaking to empty chairs. Let’s go ahead and group Bernie in with them. That makes sense. He has been ahead of his time. He has proven it over and over again. The comparisons to Trump are just as lazy.

His time is now. Ask the millennials they’ll tell you so. Bernie/Warren 2020.

The issue is they are completely out of touch and old enough that they're susceptible to the "I got mine, fuck you" mindset.
The ones in their 50s have to live much longer with their decisions. 

This is simpleton talk. Individuals still get to be judged by their words and actions.

I’m worried about any candidate getting into their upper 60’s for health reasons. They’re are red-asses that are work-aholics and could handle the Presidency at virtually any age.

49 minutes ago, Js1 said:

well, they would certainly appeal to the Johnny Sacks and the Slorches of the world and their ilk, then

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm 36 and I do not want Harris.  I would take Warren, but I think the country is not ready for a woman president yet, as sad as that is.  I've said it before, but I want someone with experience who can right this sinking ship and then 2024 we can talk about Warren or Harris or whomever.

20 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

Let's get these kids some little miniature tiki torches. Cute little Nazis. 

This is learned behavior.  Kids don't have this mindset on their own.

• Like 1

I'm 36 and I do not want Harris.  I would take Warren, but I think the country is not ready for a woman president yet, as sad as that is.  I've said it before, but I want someone with experience who can right this sinking ship and then 2024 we can talk about Warren or Harris or whomever.

Uncle Joe!

5 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Dems getting an early start alienating Bernie supporters.

Yet a lot of those same dems are cool with Ocasio when her politics are fairly close to Bernie's.  The late 70s-90s, with the triumph of neoliberalism in the west during that era, are a blackhole for the left, which is why geriatrics like Bernie and Corbyn have such currency now that neoliberalism has utterly failed.  Younger leftists like Ocasio have to reach all the way back to the days of the civil rights movement and the New Left for allies and inspiration.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Uncle Joe!

I'd absolutely be on board with an Uncle Joe running on a "Give me one term to restore our standing in the world and repair the damage Trump has done to our reputation and I'll pass the baton to my VP in 2024" type thing.