Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

Yet a lot of those same dems are cool with Ocasio when her politics are fairly close to Bernie's.  The late 70s-90s, with the triumph of neoliberalism in the west during that era, are a blackhole for the left, which is why geriatrics like Bernie and Corbyn have such currency now that neoliberalism has utterly failed.  Younger leftists like Ocasio have to reach all the way back to the days of the civil rights movement and the New Left for allies and inspiration.

Agreed. Pre-compromising your platform to what you think you can accomplish working with Republicans (lol) is a particularly uninspiring get-out-the-vote message.

I just want a statesman, not a politician.  I don't care the age or health.  I want someone out for the good of the whole country and not for the exclusive good of themselves, their cronies, nor their corporate puppet masters.  Sadly, we have always lacked these kinds of leaders.  Or they start out as statesmen and the system beats them down, changes them. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This is learned behavior.  Kids don't have this mindset on their own.

Ya, I'm sure one of the least populated, whitest States in America has huge problems with Mexicans in their day to day lives. 

Trump is such a good influence on our youth! 

I just want a statesman, not a politician.  I don't care the age or health.  I want someone out for the good of the whole country and not for the exclusive good of themselves, their cronies, nor their corporate puppet masters.  Sadly, we have always lacked these kinds of leaders.  Or they start out as statesmen and the system beats them down, changes them. 

I keep saying this, but the environment is begging for a bonafide, respected military vet to come in and right the ship. And I’m not talking about someone who did a tour in the 70s and has been in politics ever since.

2 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

Ya, I'm sure one of the least populated, whitest States in America has huge problems with Mexicans in their day to day lives. 

Actually, migrants do hit those states during harvest season, but don't stay there.

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I keep saying this, but the environment is begging for a bonafide, respected military vet to come in and right the ship. And I’m not talking about someone who did a tour in the 70s and has been in politics ever since.

Would you settle for an actor that plays a military veteran on TV? More Americans speed as they watch trash television and stuff donuts into their mouth. 

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

Actually, migrants do hit those states during harvest season, but don't stay there.

Interestingly enough (and maybe this belongs in the DACA thread), Gladwell's podcast a few weeks back proposed the idea that the reason we have such an "illegal" problem is because we made the border "secure".

Prior to that, folks would come and work and then go home. Now, folks come and stay and work to bring their families with them.

5 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

Kasich Hickenlooper 2020. They would have my vote. 

Even if Trump faced opposition in the GOP primary, over 90% of the party supports him and his draconian policies.  There's not a chance in hell either of these guys would get the nomination.  Frankly they'd be better off running as Dems.

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Even if Trump faced opposition in the GOP primary, over 90% of the party supports him and his draconian policies.  There's not a chance in hell either of these guys would get the nomination.  Frankly they'd be better off running as Dems.

I think theres a very solid chance of some kind of Unity ticket with Kasich as the VP nominee, particularly if Hickenlooper or Inslee wins the democratic nomination 

43 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

When Trump brought in all the generals people were stroking themselves about how the military strong daddies were going to keep the ship running. Republicans and Democrats alike were so grateful for strong daddies.

Turns out, that was fucking stupid and the strong daddies are craven pieces of useless shit at the same rate as the civvies. The troops are just as dumb as everyone else, if not dumber.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sachick said:

It's not even about new blood but how we gonna have an 80 year run our country? I don't want them driving a car much less running our country.

I agree.  Apparently those in their 70s are suspect as well.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I 1,000% agree. If they could somehow navigate the Dem primaries, probably a fat chance, they would destroy Trump in 2020 general. A lad can dream though. 

14 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I think theres a very solid chance of some kind of Unity ticket with Kasich as the VP nominee, particularly if Hickenlooper or Inslee wins the democratic nomination 

I can't think of a more Democrat thing to do than make a GOP guy your VP candidate and still lose.

• Like 2

Just now, Red Five said:

Biden-Kasich then. Great. Let’s do it. C’mon stupid clock hurry up.

The safe old white ticket.  Something like that may run, but won’t win.  It’s gonna be left vs right populism candidates.  

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

The safe old white ticket.  Something like that may run, but won’t win.  It’s gonna be left vs right populism candidates.  

This is what I am afraid of.  We have one chance to fix this cancer, assuming we even make it that far, but most of me thinks that it's going to be a shit-flinging fuck storm between the left and right leading us straight into Civil War 2.0.  We are a bunch of dumb monkeys.

• Like 2

Cool anecdote - a few years ago, we were visiting Montana, stayed in a series of cabins. Housekeeping came by, and my kids were surprised: “they’re all white folks!” In jobs where we would see Hispanics in Texas, Hispanics were nonexistent. It’s white folks country. Idaho is even more so (and has a nice racist contingent, too).
Interestingly enough (and maybe this belongs in the DACA thread), Gladwell's podcast a few weeks back proposed the idea that the reason we have such an "illegal" problem is because we made the border "secure".
Prior to that, folks would come and work and then go home. Now, folks come and stay and work to bring their families with them.

Anyone who has lived in a border region has noted this. I’ve been saying it for years. Actually, our STRONGER enforcement has made the border like a crab trap - once you pass through, you don’t go back.

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is what I am afraid of.  We have one chance to fix this cancer, assuming we even make it that far, but most of me thinks that it's going to be a shit-flinging fuck storm between the left and right leading us straight into Civil War 2.0.  We are a bunch of dumb monkeys.

It won't be a Civil War.  We've been too comfortable for too long.  Comfortable people take the yoke.  

This is probably worthy of its' own thread, but it fits here.  TL;DR - The right is winning it's war to put the yoke upon all of us, while waving the flag.  The super-haves have convinced the have-nots that it's all about bootstraps, when really, they're bowing to take the yoke.  

https://www.ineteconomics.org/perspectives/blog/meet-the-economist-behind-the-one-percents-stealth-takeover-of-america

What did the Romans do once there were no other lands to conquer?  They set upon each other, while a turnstyle of strongmen milked the empire for all they could.  Welcome to your empire in decline.  

• Like 1

Here's a crazy idea:  maybe the DNC could bring in some folks -- oh, I don't know, possibly with PhD's who teach at some of those elitist universities and are world-renowned for their knowledge of modern authoritarian regimes -- and actually come up with a strategy based on history and facts and shit.  Like, ask the simple question:  "what were the weak spots that were never exploited to thwart the rise of Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Franco, Mao Zedong, Kim, Kim Jr., Lil' Kim, etc."

I'm sure Debbie suggested this when she resigned.

Edited by jimmyjazz

2 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

It won't be a Civil War.  We've been too comfortable for too long.  Comfortable people take the yoke.  

This is probably worthy of its' own thread, but it fits here.  TL;DR - The right is winning it's war to put the yoke upon all of us, while waving the flag.  The super-haves have convinced the have-nots that it's all about bootstraps, when really, they're bowing to take the yoke.  

https://www.ineteconomics.org/perspectives/blog/meet-the-economist-behind-the-one-percents-stealth-takeover-of-america

What did the Romans do once there were no other lands to conquer?  They set upon each other, while a turnstyle of strongmen milked the empire for all they could.  Welcome to your empire in decline.  

And how does that not end in Civil War 2.0?

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Here's a crazy idea:  maybe the DNC could bring in some folks -- oh, I don't know, maybe with PhD's who teach at some of those elitist universities and are world-renowned for their knowledge of modern authoritarian regimes -- and actually come up with a strategy based on history and facts and shit.  Like, ask the simple question:  "what were the weak spots that were never exploited to thwart the rise of Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Franco, Mao Zedong, the Kims, etc.

I'm sure Debbie suggested this when she resigned.

The only one you mentioned there that didn't result in totalitarianism or cataclysm was Franco.  And that's basically because he got old and they had a royal family in the offing to take over.

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

The only one you mentioned there that didn't result in totalitarianism or cataclysm was Franco.  And that's basically because he got old and they had a royal family in the offing to take over.

Yes, it usually ends very badly, which is why it's probably a good time to be figuring out what might be done to avoid it.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yes, it usually ends very badly, which is why it's probably a good time to be figuring out what might be done to avoid it.

The only non-violent means I see is impeachment or election.  

Impeachment is not going to happen.  The chances of the Dems winning both the House and the Senate are unfavorable.  

So I'm not sure how else you intervene but to work your ass off to change hearts and minds and get them out to the polls in 2018 and 2020.

13 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Also, I just read that whole article and that is terrifying.  

8 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

The only non-violent means I see is impeachment or election.  

Impeachment is not going to happen.  The chances of the Dems winning both the House and the Senate are unfavorable.  

So I'm not sure how else you intervene but to work your ass off to change hearts and minds and get them out to the polls in 2018 and 2020.

Only the House impeaches. The Senate votes for removal. 

Just now, UrbanAchiever said:

Only the House impeaches. The Senate votes for removal. 

Right, I thought since we've all been talking about it for a year and a half now, that what we generally mean by "impeachment" is "impeachment and removal."  

But the world needs pedants too I suppose.  Congratulations on your achievement.  

• Like 5

Just now, Chad Fuck said:

Right, I thought since we've all been talking about it for a year and a half now, that what we generally mean by "impeachment" is "impeachment and removal."  

But the world needs pedants too I suppose.  Congratulations on your achievement.  

I figured you meant "impeachment and removal" after I posted. My bad. I wasn't trying to be a pedantic ass.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woodrow Call said:

Trump reminds me of a guy on a three day drunk. He starts out with a Friday party, boisterous, loud and obnoxious, continually making inappropriate comments and making people feel uncomfortable. Tells big lies to impress people. Then he drives home stone faced drunk and endangers everyone around him.

By Saturday, he's bloated and red faced but starts drinking again and heads to the country club without a shower. The only members that will play golf with him are the ones in similar shape. But this is part of his game. Surround yourself with enablers and people as gross as you are so the bubble isn't pierced with the cutting knife of reality.

Over the 18 holes, he continues to drink and tells tall tales about all the women that hit on him during the party last night. In reality, the number is zero, but in his vodka soaked brain, he left the party with Miss America. He's rude to the workers at the club, despite bragging about his wealth, he doesn't tip. There's nothing in his pocket but a couple of crumpled ones and his club dues are in arrears.

By Sunday, he stinks and has pissed himself. The dog hasn't been fed in two days and the house reeks of vomit and shit. He stumbles around looking for an old bottle, but it's all gone, just like his family, his friends and business associates. He's decrepit and broken, but still sees himself as riding high and as the guy that's the life of the party.

Eventually, the sheriff will knock on the door and deliver a summons or an eviction notice.

He's hopeless, because he'll never admit he has a problem. Everyone else has the problem. Everyone else wishes he'd just go away.

That's pretty detailed, does this story hit close to home?

28 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Also, I just read that whole article and that is terrifying.  

Same here.  I found this enlightening:

Buchanan’s view of human nature was distinctly dismal. Adam Smith saw human beings as self-interested and hungry for personal power and material comfort, but he also acknowledged social instincts like compassion and fairness. Buchanan, in contrast, insisted that people were primarily driven by venal self-interest. Crediting people with altruism or a desire to serve others was “romantic” fantasy: politicians and government workers were out for themselves, and so, for that matter, were teachers, doctors, and civil rights activists.  They wanted to control others and wrest away their resources: “Each person seeks mastery over a world of slaves,” he wrote in his 1975 book, The Limits of Liberty.”

Funny how sociopathic assholes always assume everyone else is a sociopathic asshole, too.  

• Like 3