OU Recruiting 2022: Abnormal Mutations in OUDNA

25 minutes ago, hook me said:

Maybe my favorite part of OU fans excited to see (or okay with) Riley leaving because he had me this ceiling.

Winning the conference every year, multiple heismen & overall number 1 picks, numerous first round picks, one of the best offenses every year, NYE6/playoffs every year... That's a hell of a ceiling. As someone who was ready to see Mack Brown leave only to experience the Strong, Herman, & now looking down the barrel of another tenure that has started off as bad as either of the first to let me just say, be very VERY careful what you wish for & don't convince yourself that the new guy is going to be better than the old guy was simply because you wish for it.

You can list accolade after accolade. The fact is the football team was getting worse every single season. He was an excellent recruiter for sure, when he wanted to be. There are plenty of head-scratching examples of him ghosting kids who wanted to commit. His vaunted 5* WR class has amounted to more court fees and transfers than yards and touchdowns. The one quarterback that was supposed to put an end to the narrative ‘Riley has to have a transfer, can’t develop his own guys’ blew up up in his face and ended with Rattler benched and transferred out. There’s a lot of smoke and mirrors with Lincoln when you pull the curtain back.  

His program was soft top to bottom. No accountability in offseason workout program and soft practices with players loafing. He’ll see success out west and he knows it. It was a very calculated move. He’ll build a paper tiger out there and get bitch slapped again when it comes time to play a program with toughness. 

Venables brings that toughness Lincoln is averse to. Thats why we are excited. 

Edited by Constant

15 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

LR's teams would have gotten thrown around like a dog chew toy in the SEC.  They had trouble with Kansas and Tulane for God's sake.

Yeah, man, that was crazy watching that SEC team ragdoll that Big 12 team in the Sugar Bowl. Total domination in the trenches.

Wait, Ole Miss is in the Big 12, right?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Constant said:

You can list accolade after accolade. The fact is the football team was getting worse every single season. He was an excellent recruiter for sure, when he wanted to be. There are plenty of head-scratching examples of him ghosting kids who wanted to commit. His vaunted 5* WR class has amounted to more court fees and transfers than yards and touchdowns. The one quarterback that was supposed to put an end to the narrative ‘Riley has to have a transfer, can’t develop his own guys’ blew up up in his face and ended with Rattler benched and transferred out. There’s a lot of smoke and mirrors with Lincoln when you pull the curtain back.  

His program was soft top to bottom. No accountability in offseason workout program and soft practices with players loafing. He’ll see success out west and he knows it. It was a very calculated move. He’ll build a paper tiger out there and get bitch slapped again when it comes time to play a program with toughness. 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

This is amazing, from TFB (copy/pasting from IT, so I'm not sure if you all can read it)

a9e46ec4-a550-4b0e-9616-50933b516483-jpeg.172126

Aw, it's funny watching them act like all the new coach spin is somehow all real and true for them after they got fucking yeeted by the last guy.

Ted fucking Roof is your DC, and the Lebby one is some A+ wishcasting. The dude has never been his own man as OC.

1 minute ago, Fud said:

This is amazing, from TFB (copy/pasting from IT, so I'm not sure if you all can read it)

a9e46ec4-a550-4b0e-9616-50933b516483-jpeg.172126

If I ever had an inkling to believe 9.95 or in this case Super K…I never will. This is the biggest load of shit I’ve ever seen, especially coupled with the Castiglione propaganda about lebby yesterday. It’s clear they are trying to pump this guy because offensive players, including Williams are bailing on this program. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Constant said:

Hahahahahahahaha

Holy fuck. This is unbelievable and glorious.

You guys got straight-up dumped by one of the most successful and promising minds in the entirety of CFB. I get it. That sucks and creates an identity crisis. I just didn't expect it to have this level of impact. @Hiphopopotamos has been calling it a collective psychotic break and I'll be damned if it isn't coming across as one. 

• Haha 6

10 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

We're experts in this area. 

Yeah, so much this. One thing we are experts in is bad hires because we've seen it so many times. This OU staff reminds me of our staffs in the past with a couple good hires mixed in with a lot of WTF hires. 

I mean just look at OU's defensive assistants-

Bates (Legit hire and one of the best DL coaches in the country)

Roof (He's been terrible everywhere he's been)

Valai (Processed in year 1 by Saban after he realized how bad Valai was/mediocre at Texas)

Chavis (No experience in an on the field coaching role)

Hall (Nothing special at all/been an assistant on meh to bad G5 teams almost his entire coaching career)

It takes some serious wishcasting to think this is a good defensive staff. It's not anywhere close to being a good defensive staff. If OU wins with this coaching staff give them all the props because there's no reason it should on paper. 

28 minutes ago, Constant said:

I remember having this exact conversation with my brother re. Strong. No, no, no, not similar - exact.

The only thing y'all have going for you right now is that Lebby isn't a known dumpster fire of a hire like Watson was. He may well turn out to be just that, or he may be mediocre, or he may be actually decent, no one really knows at this point but it won't take long to figure out. The only thing we can say fairly certainly is that he isn't LR & it will absolutely be a big drop off.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, man, that was crazy watching that SEC team ragdoll that Big 12 team in the Sugar Bowl. Total domination in the trenches.

Wait, Ole Miss is in the Big 12, right?

Tech mudholed Miss St 34-7 as well as Baylor 21-7 over Ole Miss.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Tech mudholed Miss St 34-7 as well as Baylor 21-7 over Ole Miss.

That Tech game still amazes me, as much as we all believe Leach to be motivated to beat their asses and his shit talking before the game. Then to lay an Egg that made Lady Kluck blush. Maybe he's back on the sauce. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That Tech game still amazes me, as much as we all believe Leach to be motivated to beat their asses and his shit talking before the game. Then to lay an Egg that made Lady Kluck blush. Maybe he's back on the sauce. 

I don’t think people realize how bad Wells was/is. McGuire is going to look like a genius if he is even average. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Charlie did make us tougher. Unfortunately, he also made us much shittier.

Tougher?  Tough teams should not be blown out as frequently as Strong's teams were blown out.  Herman was a dick and turtled up frequently, but his teams were tough.  Tougher than Strong's teams.

• Hook 'Em 2

This board loves them so Lincoln Riley, kind of weird but whatever. His teams feasted on a conference that sucks and the one school that should have the talent to compete with them have been wallowing in the slums for a decade. They got exposed damn near every time they made the cfp. He isn't that great of an offensive mind imo, his scheme was basically figured out and he never really adjusted. I don't think he'll be as successful as most think at USC. But this board also has a love affair with Mike Leach and that dude also sucks ass.

1 minute ago, SarkAfterDark said:

This board loves them so Lincoln Riley, kind of weird but whatever. His teams feasted on a conference that sucks and the one school that should have the talent to compete with them have been wallowing in the slums for a decade. They got exposed damn near every time they made the cfp. He isn't that great of an offensive mind imo, his scheme was basically figured out and he never really adjusted. I don't think he'll be as successful as most think at USC. But this board also has a love affair with Mike Leach and that dude also sucks ass.

So what's your stance?  Do you think Lebby will be better than Lincoln?

Just now, westexhorn said:

My post wasn't an argument for one over the other nor did I quote a post debating the 2 so I'm not sure why you are asking me that question. My stance is LR is overrated by most on this board.

9 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

It's a limited coaching market. Name 5 coaches better than Riley in CFB? 

Riley might be overrated but you still need to keep those type coaches because there aren't better options. 

3 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

My post wasn't an argument for one over the other nor did I quote a post debating the 2 so I'm not sure why you are asking me that question. My stance is LR is overrated by most on this board.

55-10, 4 conference titles, 3 CFP appearances.  He's not Saban, but his resume is about as strong as anyone else in the sport not named Dabo.  

I hate defending a (former) Sooner, but every school in the country save 2 or 3 would kill to have a coach that "overrated."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

5 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

What you guys are picking up on is the whiplash that occurred on Surly late Nov-early Dec regarding Riley's performance.

While Riley was still OU's coach, the consensus here was that his team was in decline. After Riley left, the consensus became OU lost their savior.

Riley's a good coach. His team's yearly performance went from playoff-competitive, playoff-not competitive, playoff-blowout, B12 champ-no playoff, B12 3rd place. OU fans were seeing his offense decline from awesome to very good. The defense became average, and that's it. The team had plateaued.

Now we get to see what's next. I'm excited. I'm going to follow an OU team that'll be new on both sides of the ball. I'll also follow SC some and Caleb Williams some.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's a limited coaching market. Name 5 coaches better than Riley in CFB? 

Riley might be overrated but you still need to keep those type coaches because there aren't better options. 

In the Big 12 alone do you think OU would be worse under Aranda, Campbell, or Gundy?

6 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

In the Big 12 alone do you think OU would be worse under Aranda, Campbell, or Gundy?

Yes.

1) Campbell doesn't even deserve to be in the same conversation as Riley. He's one of the most overrated coaches in CFB. 

2) Aranda looks to be legit but he has 1 good year as a head coach and 1 bad year as a head coach. I wouldn't include Aranda in the top coaches in CFB until there's more evidence to evaluate him. 

3) I think Gundy is a top 15 coach. He would probably do well anywhere. 

I wouldn't take any of those coaches over Riley. Especially not the first 2. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Gundy is really underrated. First off, he gets kids to go to northern OK. Have you ever been there? His teams are at least competent every year. He's been head coach since 2005 and has a winning record every year except 2005. And frequently, they're really good! Ok St ended the season ranked 9 times in his 17 years. To put that in perspective, Ok St has only been ranked 8 other times since the AP poll has been around.

I like Aranda and Campbell. Hopefully, OU called both of them. We'll learn a lot about Campbell and Aranda this year. 

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yes.

1) Campbell doesn't even deserve to be in the same conversation as Riley. He's one of the most overrated coaches in CFB. 

2) Aranda looks to be legit but he has 1 good year as a head coach and 1 bad year as a head coach. I wouldn't include Aranda in the top coaches in CFB until there's more evidence to evaluate him. 

3) I think Gundy is a top 15 coach. He would probably do well anywhere. 

I wouldn't take any of those coaches over Riley. Especially not the first 2. 

Riley was fortunate to take over a program that was already humming and it has progressively gotten worse. All 3 of those coaches have beat him in the last few years despite the talent disparity he has. If any of those 3 were coaching OU this year I don't think they are any worse than what they were and are probably better under Aranda and Gundy. We'll see what LR does with USC and revisit.

4 minutes ago, quigley said:

Gundy is really underrated. First off, he gets kids to go to northern OK. Have you ever been there? His teams are at least competent every year. He's been head coach since 2005 and has a winning record every year except 2005. And frequently, they're really good! Ok St ended the season ranked 9 times in his 17 years. To put that in perspective, Ok St has only been ranked 8 other times since the AP poll has been around.

I like Aranda and Campbell. Hopefully, OU called both of them. We'll learn a lot about Campbell and Aranda this year. 

Aranda and Rhule are the names that I have heard that turned down OU

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think Gundy is a top 15 coach. He would probably do well anywhere.

I personally find Gundy to be a despicable human, but seeing what Gundy does with development and discipline up close as an OU fan, he is remarkable. It's a make do with less story that approaches Bill Snyder's work at KSt (Snyder definitely started lower and climbed higher). Gundy is top 5 and maybe top 3 if you look at how much he gets out of his players.

There was a legit chance about 10 years ago that he would have left for Tennessee. I bet he'd have done well there. What happens if the Vols under Gundy picked off Saban's Tide teams a couple of times? Sliding doors.

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

A head coach can simultaneously be leading a team in decline and ALSO far superior to the alternatives.  

This is what people don't get in football. 

Once you get to like the 7th or 8th best coaches in CFB you have do a lot to justify why they're one of the top coaches in CFB. Riley might be overrated but he's also clearly one of the better coaches in CFB.