COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

7 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Children have been hospitalized at nearly twice the rate of adults in the past 4 weeks."  Incredibly

Oh my god this is horrible

5 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

vaccination works. See? We’ve reduced hospitalization to the point the kids have caught up.”

Oh my god this is amazing 

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

I wouldn’t assume. I got it and none of the other three people in my house did, and for the first few days I just thought I had cold and wasn’t taking any particular precautions. Those were the most contagious days too. Same thing happened with a coworker: family of five and only dad got it.

He got tested and came up negative. One son negative, the other positive. Buddy moved into his art studio, negative kid is stuck in his room. What a shit show. 

Was going to say this. A real nasty stomach bug has been going around and decimated my wife and kids over the past few weeks. Horrible vomiting all night and now my 2yo has stopped vomiting but has some awful shits. So many of my friends have been dealing with this too. Negative on COVID.

Same here, some norovirus went through my whole family. COVID negative. We think it originated from our toddler’s daycare.

So looking at South Africa, seemed like it was three weeks from when the spike really turned up until it peaked. If places like the U.K. and NYC follow the same pattern, that would be a peak after the first week of January. Crossing fingers, toes, and masks. 

Certainly could see Christmas and New Years prolong the situation.

1 minute ago, StruggleBus said:

He's bitching about his cows while running a 102 fever. So the same as usual just with a 102 fever. All in all, fine I guess. 

That's good. Gotta think the Delta infection should help some even if he doesn't have the shot.

I would french kiss someone with Covid before I'd ride in an elevator with someone with norovirus.  I hate the stomach bug.

Norovirus SUUUUUUUUCKS.

When I got it a dozen or so years ago it hit me on my wedding anniversary (which happens to be today-31 years). To say it put a damper on the day would be an understatement.

21 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I would french kiss someone with Covid before I'd ride in an elevator with someone with norovirus.  I hate the stomach bug.

That's a good "would you rather." I think it would depend on the person I gotta french kiss. 

5 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

A bit of a CSB, but also a bit of a weird Covid thing.  Wife and I had horrible cases of food poisoning last week.  Sunday and Monday are a total blur of Exorcist-level projectile vomiting and worse.  Highish (103) fever, chills, extreme fatigue, body aches, extreme headaches, etc. Sickest I personally have ever been in my life. 

But then the kids (15 yo) got it on Tuesday and Wednesday (about 3-4 after us), even though  they didn’t share a meal with us in the relevant time. Christmas was fantastic for them.  Kids opening presents laying on the bathroom floor and that sort of thing. 

And, 10 days in, the wife and I still have intermittent low-grade fever and fatigue during the day.  Kids have periods of extreme fatigue but no fever we’ve seen.  

Weirder still, my 74 yo MIL who lives with us has no symptoms still - despite lots of contact immediately prior to illness, especially with the kids. 

So my doc made us go in and take a Covid test at our day 4 when the kids got sick.  Negative.  Kids took home tests.  Negative. Same for day 7.  But he still suspects Covid.  

Wife’s doc, who practices at the same place, has all but said that’s not possible. It’s a norovirus, albeit a worse one than usual. But before the kids got sick she was also equally adamant that it was absolutely foodborne.

My doc has thought Covid basically from the jump.  He says in a month I will show positive for N antibodies and he will be vindicated.  Neighbor who is a epidemiologist feels like my guy is probably right. 

So I am never coming in contact with anyone else ever again.  But has anyone else ever seen symptom profile like this from Covid?

My wife had the exact same experience in May. We went to my kid's banquet, and she thought she had food poisoning. She had bad food poisoning for several days. She ultimately tested positive for Covid and had a really bad case. Don't know if it was related or bad luck. 

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Interesting that antigen and PCR tests can show completely different results (PCR tests can show positive for months after infection).

https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dls/locs/2021/07-21-2021-lab-alert-Changes_CDC_RT-PCR_SARS-CoV-2_Testing_1.html

Probably where the flu went last year.

15 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

More good news about another possible therapeutic: https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-fluvoxamine-the-covid-miracle-drug-we-have-been-waiting-for-oral-pill-cheap-hospitalization-11640726605

I heard Dr. Peter McCullough mention its efficacy and use as well.

The term “miracle drug” is always a great sign. 

17 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

More good news about another possible therapeutic: https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-fluvoxamine-the-covid-miracle-drug-we-have-been-waiting-for-oral-pill-cheap-hospitalization-11640726605

I heard Dr. Peter McCullough mention its efficacy and use as well.

Peter McCullough?

4 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Scary

But got to read the article

"We test anybody who’s admitted to the hospital for whatever reason to see whether or not they have Covid, and we’re definitely seeing an increase in cases. However, we’re really not seeing an increase in children who are hospitalized for Covid or in the intensive care unit for Covid," Offit said.

12 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Wow, you're not even hesitating with that one?  Looks like someone has a Rosie O'Donnell fetish.

Compared to norovirus? Given that I'm boosted and prior infection, gimme a smooch Rosie. 

Just now, Axle Hongsnort said:

mobile unit in barton creek mall parking lot. wife / kids just got through quickly.

Not to be a stickler, but any idea how long it took?  Trying to decide if I can get in there before they close at 5pm on the way home...or queue up tomorrow morning at 7am when the open.  THANKS!

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Not to be a stickler, but any idea how long it took?  Trying to decide if I can get in there before they close at 5pm on the way home...or queue up tomorrow morning at 7am when the open.  THANKS!

Serious question -- why not rapid test at home? Not as accurate? PCR needed? 

I know that rapid tests are in short supply but I'd bet you'd find them just outside the city limits. Seems like it might be easier than waiting in the lines I've heard about.

Just now, FirstTimeCaller said:

Serious question -- why not rapid test at home? Not as accurate? PCR needed? 

I know that rapid tests are in short supply but I'd bet you'd find them just outside the city limits. Seems like it might be easier than waiting in the lines I've heard about.

I burned our last one before Christmas Eve with my 93yo uncle.  Trying to be a good Christian, we had one left...I had been feeling like ass with a few symptoms.  Wife wanted me to do it, so I did.  Negative.  Tried to get to that same BCSQ facility Axle mentioned and line was so long, they said they'd start emailing results instead of waiting on them.  So that did not me little good.  Symptoms have persisted and I have to see an older business partner on New Year's Eve (not for midnight kisses obviously, earlier that day for other meetings/meal).  I'd really like to get a more "clinical" test.  No home tests to be found between now and Friday.  Can't wait on a long-term PCR.  Wasn't even gonna ask but Axle mentioned the very place I could drive by on the way home.  If their wait was less than 30 minutes, I'll go.  If not, no point---they'll be closed.  I know how to navigate the system, I'm just in a tight window and his response turned on a light bulb.  

I'm boosted, I'm doing my part.  We avoided all kinds of other shit over holiday break.  I masked up all week long here when nobody else was.  I just could use a "clearance" between now and Friday morning.  

So seriously, how much could I sell my rapid tests right now? Bought a few a couple of weeks ago when this was coming. Think we have three left.

Are rapid tests the new bitcoin? Am I set for life if I sell these?