Ewers or Bust- Lord have mercy I’m bout to bust

RGBIII

I got the impression, from at least one of the articles posted here, that Ewers would take (a) visit/s.  I assume he's never been to the Tech campus? Or gotten an OV there.  I would hope that we would get a visit immediately following - just to show how stark the difference is between the two places.

Also - Tech still doesn't have an OC yet.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

Nahlin:

Expect the former Southlale Carroll and Ohio State quarterback to get the red carpet treatment. I’d assume private plane, freshly made tortillas, and drilling rights (I’m kidding on the last part, I think).

When it was announced he was entering the portal we mentioned Texas wasn’t a lock. Long before that, when NIL was originally mentioned a year or two ago, IT mentioned this could actually be a game changer for lesser schools with a few highly motivated alums. That is Tech and the Double Eagle duo of Cody Campbell and John Sellers. Campbell is a current Tech Board of Regent. These two are sort of younger versions of T. Boone Pickens.

New Tech head coach Joey McGuire is close to hiring offensive coordinator Zach Kittley, who was a GA and assistant quarterbacks coach under Kliff Kingsbury when Patrick Mahomes was there.

Mahomes seemed to have had the drop on Ewers entering the portal. Here’s his cryptic tweet as the news of Ewers leaving went public.

It’s not too hard to connect these dots.

One dot that’s very hard to connect is Quinn stating he wants to decide before Signing Day so he can influence decisions of elite targets. We’re not sure Tech, even with the Double Eagle bros, is in position to take advantage of landing Ewers, if it did.

We expect Texas to be aggressive and work to match whatever Tech comes up with, however, we don’t know the exact numbers being thrown around.

Stay tuned, and also don’t ruin this thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

The best of them have mastered this art but I am not so sure Sark has. You have to sound convincing to the kid and his parents when you make that promise. New head coaches can't always do that.

What?  This is very very easy-

“Hey Ewers, fuck ya I promise you the starting QB job next year!”

There is no art to this.  Say what you need to say then do what you need to do!  That is what you are paid millions of dollars to do in a cut throat, ethics-free occupation.  If you make this “gentleman’s agreement” there is only one reason to break it-  he sucks and needs to portal out.  It is literally a absolutely no lose situation.

Edited by Horn Dog
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Nahlin:

Expect the former Southlale Carroll and Ohio State quarterback to get the red carpet treatment. I’d assume private plane, freshly made tortillas, and drilling rights (I’m kidding on the last part, I think).

When it was announced he was entering the portal we mentioned Texas wasn’t a lock. Long before that, when NIL was originally mentioned a year or two ago, IT mentioned this could actually be a game changer for lesser schools with a few highly motivated alums. That is Tech and the Double Eagle duo of Cody Campbell and John Sellers. Campbell is a current Tech Board of Regent. These two are sort of younger versions of T. Boone Pickens.

New Tech head coach Joey McGuire is close to hiring offensive coordinator Zach Kittley, who was a GA and assistant quarterbacks coach under Kliff Kingsbury when Patrick Mahomes was there.

Mahomes seemed to have had the drop on Ewers entering the portal. Here’s his cryptic tweet as the news of Ewers leaving went public.

It’s not too hard to connect these dots.

One dot that’s very hard to connect is Quinn stating he wants to decide before Signing Day so he can influence decisions of elite targets. We’re not sure Tech, even with the Double Eagle bros, is in position to take advantage of landing Ewers, if it did.

We expect Texas to be aggressive and work to match whatever Tech comes up with, however, we don’t know the exact numbers being thrown around.

Stay tuned, and also don’t ruin this thread.

We got him!

30 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I got the impression, from at least one of the articles posted here, that Ewers would take (a) visit/s.  I assume he's never been to the Tech campus? Or gotten an OV there.  I would hope that we would get a visit immediately following - just to show how stark the difference is between the two places.

Also - Tech still doesn't have an OC yet.

Lol if he didn’t take visits, he’s dumber than anyone thought. Get the red carpet rolled out all over for you since it’s allowed. Wine, dine and hundred dollar handshakes by the BMDs pitching the NLI to your camp. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Lol if he didn’t take visits, he’s dumber than anyone thought. Get the red carpet rolled out all over for you since it’s allowed. Wine, dine and hundred dollar handshakes by the BMDs pitching the NLI to your camp. 

If he wants to influence players to follow him, he doesn't have time for a tour.  Signing week is coming up really fast.  I'm hoping if he makes some inquiries to high end players, he'll find out exactly what kind of players are willing to follow anyone to Lubbock.  It's a shit hole half a million miles from the football talent he needs to succeed.  

Edited by RabidM

69F037CF-6EA9-4306-8D6F-F3CA605E7571.thumb.jpeg.da0a65ec77984955ad06c0cb1caf38fb.jpeg

Well, deleted or not I’d guess I was wrong that he had his mind made up on one school before entering the portal, as it seems it was maybe two instead (if Texas is in fact at this dance, which we believe). Still interesting that we’re only hearing Tech and Texas. If it were to end up being Tech, there’s no question those tools were tampering.

1 minute ago, RabidM said:

If he wants to influence players to follow him, he doesn't have time for a tour.  Signing week is coming up really fast.  I'm hoping if he makes some inquiries to high end players, he'll find out exactly what kind of players are willing to follow anyone to Lubbock.  It's a shit hole half a million miles from the football talent he needs to succeed.  

Tech today, Austin tomorrow, maybe aggy on Tuesday. Let those big boosters fly him around 

2 minutes ago, RabidM said:

If he wants to influence players to follow him, he doesn't have time for a tour.  Signing week is coming up really fast.  I'm hoping if he makes some inquiries to high end players, he'll find out exactly what kind of players are willing to follow anyone to Lubbock.  It's a shit hole. 

You say this like he has to wait on the postal system to deliver letters. Pretty sure between text messages and Twitter things will happen fast enough

• Haha 1

Mahomes could kick in $1M/year to Ewers easily by putting up less than 1/30th of his annual salary (not including a shit load more in endorsements).   But does he really care about Tech that much?
What’s 1/30th of VY’s salary???

Edited by EZ$
Does he care?

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That is Tech and the Double Eagle duo of Cody Campbell and John Sellers. Campbell is a current Tech Board of Regent.

Is it even legal for university officials to hand out NIL deals to athletes? If universities aren’t allowed to get involved in finding athletes NIL deals, I don’t see how this would be allowed. 

Even if I don't agree, I can almost always see some reasons why a kid would pick another school over Texas. If he picks Tech, I really can't. Like I could understand reasons why Ewers would pick TCU (Dykes offense, cool town, closer to home), SMU, A&M, even Baylor. But Tech? I can't think of one legitimate reason unless their boosters are just offering him an insane multi-million dollar NIL deal (which IT seems to be hinting at).

What we've heard is that he supposedly likes Kittley and that Dodge might get hired there. But he's likely never even met Kittley and the guy has 3 years of total coaching experience (2 in FCS, 1 at WKU). Ewers didn't consider an air raid offense out of HS either. Meanwhile the Dodge rumors seem to be getting shut down.

So why the fuck would he actually pick Tech? They lose on literally all the criteria - QB coach track record, chances of winning, surrounding talent, childhood fandom, Austin vs. Lubbock, academics, and NIL exposure.

The only explanation I can come up with is as combination of: 1. Tech dropped a huge NIL deal (this is possible), 2. Mahomes really did dupe him into loving this Kittley guy, 3. He doesn't want the pressure cooker of being QB at UT, 4. Our season killed all confidence in Sark. Bizarre if it happens.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Mahomes could kick in $1M/year to Ewers easily by putting up less than 1/30th of his annual salary (not including a shit load more in endorsements).   But does he really care about Tech that much?

Mahomes ain't giving no recruit a million dollars a year, wake up. This is dumb. NIL doesn't work that way.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Cheesecake Factory could probably answer that last question. 

14 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

I would bet not. You forget the  cost of lawyers, agents, managers and Uncle Sam. I think Mahomes is adding coolness. 

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

The only explanation I can come up with is as combination of: 1. Tech dropped a huge NIL deal (this is possible), 2. Mahomes really did dupe him into loving this Kittley guy, 3. He doesn't want the pressure cooker of being QB at UT, 4. Our season killed all confidence in Sark. Bizarre if it happens.

Maybe he's just a loser. Absolute best case scenario he does what - win 8, 9 games at Tech? That's a total loser move. It's basically being scared of your own potential. The QB that rights the ship at Texas is going to be showered in money and glory before he even does a pro day. 

There's actually a really good example he should be paying attention to and that's Baker. Baker left that shit hole and then didn't do anything but seriously compete for a national title, win the Heisman and get taken 1st overall in the draft. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Um - at the QB position? A lot. And more obscure than Tech. 

Josh Allen - 7th pick - Wyoming

Trey Lance - 3rd pick - SD State

Jordan Love - 26th pick - Utah State

Daniel Jones - 6th pick - Duke 

Jared Goff - 1st pick - Cal (they went 14-23 his 3 years there)

Carson Wentz - 2nd pick - ND State

That's just since 2016. If the NFL thinks you can play QB they will find your ass. You could play in Mexico. 

Yes that is my point.  He’s got arm talent could go whoever as long as he is getting his talent on tape.

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Maybe he's just a loser. Absolute best case scenario he does what - win 8, 9 games at Tech? That's a total loser move. It's basically being scared of your own potential. The QB that rights the ship at Texas is going to be showered in money and glory before he even does a pro day. 

There's actually a really good example he should be paying attention to and that's Baker. Baker left that shit hole and then didn't do anything but seriously compete for a national title, win the Heisman and get taken 1st overall in the draft. 

He’s also a college football legend now and mahomes as a college player will be long forgotten soon. The guy who brings Texas back to relevance will be remembered for a long fucking time but maybe Ewers is a pussy. 

If Ewers comes to Texas, he will have a Heisman-caliber RB (Bijan) to hand off to, All-American candidate WR (Worthy) to throw to and likely another 5 star (Stewart) who will flip to us, and likely several stud O-linemen will commit to protect him while he's in Austin.  With a coach that, for all his other failings, has shown a proven track record of putting QB's in the NFL.  Does he get any of that at Tech?  Whatever NIL deal Tech can offer him we could certainly get close to, and will do a hell of a lot more for his future earning prospects in the NFL than Tech would.  Finally, where would you like to live 2-3 years as a teenage millionaire, Lubbock or Austin?    

• Like 1

Just seems like a kid playing his ha d best he can. He obviously wants to be back close to home. He names the P5 programs close to home as his destinations to get some leverage. No idea why he didn’t include OU. A&M says no, so he is getting all he can out of Tech. Trip, handshakes, etc. still can’t see how he would wind up a tech. It’s a bad business move, and everything about this kid says business is the prime objective. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If Ewers comes to Texas, he will have a Heisman-caliber RB (Bijan) to hand off to, All-American candidate WR (Worthy) to throw to and likely another 5 star (Stewart) who will flip to us, and likely several stud O-linemen will commit to protect him while he's in Austin.  With a coach that, for all his other failings, has shown a proven track record of putting QB's in the NFL.  Does he get any of that at Tech?  Whatever NIL deal Tech can offer him we could certainly get close to, and will do a hell of a lot more for his future earning prospects in the NFL than Tech would.  Finally, where would you like to live 2-3 years as a teenage millionaire, Lubbock or Austin?    
Seems like an easy choice right?

1 minute ago, Duane Moore said:

Ewers needs to think more down the road anyway. Odds of Tech competing on the big stage, slim to none. Texas doesn't look great now but if he happened to be there to bring relevance back to Texas, the NIL money opportunity would be 10-20x what Tech could do.

• Hook 'Em 1

• RGBIII changed the title to Ewers or Bust- Lord have mercy I’m bout to bust