Ewers or Bust- Lord have mercy I’m bout to bust

RGBIII

5 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Let’s say you are a nationally recognized, for profit business and you signed a 17 year old to a multimillion dollar NIL deal on the notion that he could start for Ohio State University. 

Then imagine a year later that kid telling you, “I’m thinking about moving to Lubbock, Tx to play for an also ran bottom dweller in the middle of west Texas”.

How does this work - do they still have to pay him? I guess it's contract specific. It's such a young field they may not have put in a clause that terminates the deal with a transfer.

How does this work - do they still have to pay him? I guess it's contract specific. It's such a young field they may not have put in a clause that terminates the deal with a transfer.

Have you ever read a contract? A termination clause is not something that only shows up once in a blue moon.

Tale of the tape, Tech vs Texas in Ewers recruitment:

Playing time: push

Media market/brand awareness: Texas

Chance to win: push

QB development reputation: Texas/Sark

Value of degree: Texas

NIL $: unknown

Personal relationships: unknown

Lifestyle: Texas

Surrounding talent: Texas

Based on what we can know for sure, Ewers to Texas is obvious.  But those last 2 factors are very important and we can’t know where things stand.  If some Tech donor just decides “fuck it I’m buying him” then it’s certainly plausible Ewers could make more money going to Tech.  Over the long haul it is likely Texas’ financial might will show out (although it is curious it hasn’t recently), but Texas can certainly be outbid for any given player.  Also, we don’t know Ewers personal feelings for people in Lubbock or Austin.  That’s huge.

If I were a betting man I’d still take even odds on Texas, but there’s plenty of intrigue.

5 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Tale of the tape, Tech vs Texas in Ewers recruitment:

Playing time: push

Media market/brand awareness: Texas

Chance to win: push

QB development reputation: Texas/Sark

Value of degree: Texas

NIL $: unknown

Personal relationships: unknown

Lifestyle: Texas

Surrounding talent: Texas

Hair cut: Tech

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TexasRenegade said:

If I was the type to read tea leaves and such.....I might draw some conclusions from the fact that our resident "insiders" haven't come anywhere near this thread in the last 24 hours.

Certainly CTJ or Barbacoa would have shown up to rain on our parade if he wasn't coming to Texas....

I'm stepping back a bit after failing to raise any $$$. Just dont want to bother information guys when I dont have anything from my side that helps them, and thats kind of been the arrangement all season. And the donors I talk to that might know stuff are the people Ive been hitting up for $$$. So right now the only stuff I hear is the stuff they share on a couple text threads, and those have been pretty quiet all weekend. 

4 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I'm stepping back a bit after failing to raise any $$$. Just dont want to bother information guys when I dont have anything from my side that helps them, and thats kind of been the arrangement all season. And the donors I talk to that might know stuff are the people Ive been hitting up for $$$. So right now the only stuff I hear is the stuff they share on a couple text threads, and those have been pretty quiet all weekend. 

I'm going to interpret your post to mean that no news is good news.

1 hour ago, Truck Norris said:

Worth more than a nephew and a weed dealer who may or may not be the same person.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

What if he sells joints laced with meth?

1 hour ago, Harvdog said:

Does he have a wife or girlfriend that plays softball?

No, but only has one testicle, so he has to be legit.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I probably won’t know a thing ahead of anyone here since these things go down in minutes once the player/family makes their decision.  

We announce a rather large NIL effort tomorrow after lunch. Maybe that beats Ewers announcement and then I can immediately claim credit for tilting Ewers in our direction after he commits later that day or something. Things haven’t worked out for UT football over the last 12 years, but I’ve had a good run in that same timeframe. So, fuck it, I’ll take my chances. 

Also, if anyone has had more sand kicked in their face since 2009 than Texas, it’s Texas Tech. They do not deserve nice things. 

Let's go ahead and bump this up to 8 AM mkay?

Edited by Vertigo
  • Haha 2

have to admit the hair factor is full on Tech but whatever.  Sark said he was built for this so I assume there are multiple QB's in the portal he can win with, right? I mean he is an offensive genius/QB whisperer.

I hope we get him but I can't see it being the end of the world if Sark is the right coach.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

have to admit the hair factor is full on Tech but whatever.  Sark said he was built for this so I assume there are multiple QB's in the portal he can win with, right? I mean he is an offensive genius/QB whisperer.

I hope we get him but I can't see it being the end of the world if Sark is the right coach.

But what if he’s not and he needs his vy to walk through the door to bring us back? 

1 minute ago, utfan87 said:

But what if he’s not and he needs his vy to walk through the door to bring us back? 

well then we are probably fucked.  I hope we get him because he's better than we have, in theory and even bigger is he could also bring other recruits as others have said.

my biggest gripe is we have shitty defenses like 9 out of the last 12 years.  its fucking embarrassing and is the main reason we suck.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

well then we are probably fucked.  I hope we get him because he's better than we have, in theory and even bigger is he could also bring other recruits as others have said.

my biggest gripe is we have shitty defenses like 9 out of the last 12 years.  its fucking embarrassing and is the main reason we suck.

The main reason we suck is because we have been hiring the wrong CEO every time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think it comes down to guaranteed playing time. With how Sark is, I can see him not promising the QB1 role to Quinn before having a QB competition in the offseason. If Quinn doesn't get to play, he doesn't make as much money. Granted Texas can offer better NIL deals but what good is that if he can't play? It will come down to who can promise a starting role.

Just now, UTEE97 said:

I think it comes down to guaranteed playing time. With how Sark is, I can see him not promising the QB1 role to Quinn before having a QB competition in the offseason. If Quinn doesn't get to play, he doesn't make as much money. Granted Texas can offer better NIL deals but what good is that if he can't play? It will come down to who can promise a starting role.

You promise him the starting job because wtf is he going to do transfer? Lol nope already burned that and his rs 

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, UTEE97 said:

Um, Sark can promise him the starting role and then not start him.  He can promise him the starting role and pull him if he sucks.  If Sark or any of our coaches don’t know how to close a recruit by telling them what they want to hear then that is a BIG problem.  Saban will tell a kid he will make him the next head coach of Alabama if he commits and the kids seem to believe him.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

You promise him the starting job because wtf is he going to do transfer? Lol nope already burned that and his rs 

The best of them have mastered this art but I am not so sure Sark has. You have to sound convincing to the kid and his parents when you make that promise. New head coaches can't always do that.

• RGBIII changed the title to Ewers or Bust- Lord have mercy I’m bout to bust