Do We Have a Christ Followers Thread?

ernest_t_bass

I’ve pointed this out before. Nobody dislikes gay people because of anything it says in the Bible. They just don’t like gay people because they’re ignorant of the fact that it’s not a choice, they fear them because they don’t understand them and so they’re intolerant and hateful. Ignorance -> Fear -> Intolerance -> Hate. One leads to the next and we see that chain played out all the time.

Nobody ever said, “I know homosexuality isn’t a choice and I’ve known plenty of gay people who are good and decent members of the community. I think they should be treated just like everybody else. Unfortunately the Bible tells me they must be treated like second class citizens so my hands are tied.” Nope, they just don’t like gay people and hide behind their scripture as an excuse. And the funny thing is you’ll find that most of them really don’t have a problem with adulterers despite what their scripture says about that. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I find it particularly humorous that the actual gay members of surly--who, sure as shit, don't need our help fighting their battles--haven't bothered responding to this trainwreck. I'm sure they've occasionally read it--as it keeps popping to the top of the forum--but they've been dealing with "compassionate Texas Christains who just want to help them find Jesus" their entire lives. I'm sure they're laughing at our dumb asses wasting our breath.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Anastasis said:

This thread existed for a couple years with ~8 pages of posts mostly centered around sharing life experiences (many related to kids), some exchanges of encouragement and support, a few snipes, and a few sidebars along the way.  The last two weeks or so accumulated 10+ pages of virtually 100% shit flinging. 

You see that people of the world hate that there is something that tells them that the things they like sex, drinking, hiarchies, and other carnal pleasures that is said is a sin in the Bible restricts preoperative. They can't help but say that Christians, and other Abrahamic religions say that those things are not good. The Bible says to turn your life away from sin but to God, but we all know this. This isn't new, It's just much different tactics than what Nero did to early Christians.

• Fuck You 5

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

You see that people of the world hate that there is something that tells them that the things they like sex, drinking, hiarchies, and other carnal pleasures that is said is a sin in the Bible restricts preoperative. They can't help but say that Christians, and other Abrahamic religions say that those things are not good. The Bible says to turn your life away from sin but to God, but we all know this. This isn't new, It's just much different tactics than what Nero did to early Christians.

Ryan Reynolds Wtf GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 10/5/2022 at 12:14 PM, Johnny Sack said:

You talk about kindness and love.  And then insult.  Something you do almost as frequently as your carpet bomb negs, which -- and I must admit I admire your dedication to -- are amusing at least.

Are you a believer with a daily walk with Christ?

Screenshot 2022-10-05 111441.png

I just wanted to come on here and point out that ole Johnny Sack of Shit, in the last two weeks, has gone on a spree against me. There have been two days that I have logged on after a morning of meetings and had 200+ Johnny Sack negs on old posts (see example below).  So, basically, Johnny, who we know is a racist, misogynist, and bigot is also a massive hypocrite and snowflake.  Calling him a cunt would be an insult to cunts the world over.  What a loser.

Johnny Sack.JPG

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

Now say it in english..

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Hey sweetheart, try to keep up. We're not talking about drinking or gambling or even premarital sex (which, if it were up to you, you wouldn't allow gays to be married anyway, so that would be their only option). Those are choices. You pieces of shit are preaching that the mere act of existing as a homosexual person is a sin. And you know that message gets vulnerable, confused teens killed, and you don't care. Fuck all the way off.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Hey sweetheart, try to keep up. We're not talking about drinking or gambling or even premarital sex (which, if it were up to you, you wouldn't allow gays to be married anyway, so that would be their only option). Those are choices. You pieces of shit are preaching that the mere act of existing as a homosexual person is a sin. And you know that message gets vulnerable, confused teens killed, and you don't care. Fuck all the way off.

His post isn't worth a serious reply mainly because it's gibberish but also because he doesn't understand the topic he is discussing. He points out other Abrahamic religions without realizing Judaism the OG isn't nearly as restrictive with the things he mentioned. Sin in Judaism is very nuanced and isn't anything like sin in Christianity.

He might be right about hiarchies being very sinful. Hiarchies is serious business.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I just wanted to come on here and point out that ole Johnny Sack of Shit, in the last two weeks, has gone on a spree against me. There have been two days that I have logged on after a morning of meetings and had 200+ Johnny Sack negs on old posts (see example below).  So, basically, Johnny, who we know is a racist, misogynist, and bigot is also a massive hypocrite and snowflake.  Calling him a cunt would be an insult to cunts the world over.  What a loser.

Johnny Sack.JPG

LOL you’re the insane fuck who goes on neg sprees. Sack is just returning the favor. Tit for tat for the shit you pull. Who the fuck are you trying to fool here with your bullshit.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Fuck You 8

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Johnny Sack.JPG

But are you on a daily stroll with Christ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, workswithseed said:

you're the fucking moron who was trying to fund his own wedding through a gofundme. Seems like you're an idiot in many phases of your life

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Johnny Sack.JPG

Will you two just get it over with and fuck?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Sin in Judaism is very nuanced and isn't anything like sin in Christianity.

This is an interesting aspect and something worth some further discussion. I think that you are going to have a variety of perspectives around the topic within the Christian spectrum (and maybe the same within the Jewish spectrum), but to be honest I am not sure that I have much of an understanding about the Jewish approach to understanding the nature of sin. 

If who we are is determined solely by our biology and our environment, then there is no sense in getting angry at fundamentalists.  They have no more choice in who they are and what decisions they make than anyone else.  If someone believes they are free to choose otherwise and embrace the enlightened worldview, I would be interested to know what mechanism would allow them to do so.  

Edited by axiom of foundation

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

It’s real cute to say it’s not a problem for fundamentalists to be shitty and hateful people…until they start driving laws and policies that hurt and alienate people that don’t have a as much influence. I guess it’s tough shit for those homos.

I didn't say it wasn't a problem.  I said it wasn't a choice, if we are solely products of biology and environment. Do you believe they have a choice to be something other than what nature made them to be?  

47 minutes ago, Felix said:

Then Jesus came along and said this is the New Testament and clarified that God is Love and therefor to come to God you must love one another as God loves us.  The sacrifice of the Lamb is a beautiful thing in itself, and you don't need to get bogged down in the minutia of Law and literal ism to understand how to come to God. 

I’ve got all kinds of problems with this paragraph. I’m not sure how serious to take you or if you’re being ironic. I’m not convinced that the Jesus in the Bible ever existed. If he did, he never wrote any of the books in the New Testament. None of the authors of the books in the New Testament ever met him and the collection was assembled by men hundreds of years after he supposedly walked the earth. Matthew didn’t write Matthew, Mark didn’t write Mark, Luke didn’t write Luke, and John didn’t write John. Whoever did write them had read the prophesies in the Old Testament and had that as source material.

And is the “sacrifice of the Lamb” such a beautiful thing? Why? Was he really sacrificed? We’re supposed to believe that God sent his only “begotten son,” who was actually him the whole time, eternal and undying, but in human form so he could temporarily live and die like a human and then go back to being his eternal and omnipotent godly self. And why? To atone for the “sins” of the imperfect people that he himself created? How does that make any sense whatsoever? Oh, right, it’s the woman’s fault. Which also introduces the concept of inherited sin. Sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me.

We don’t need the concept of any god or gods in order to live good and moral lives and to follow the Golden Rule. Confucius taught the Golden Rule long before Jesus supposedly lived. Physically modern humans have existed for tens of thousands of years, maybe hundreds of thousands of years, before any gods currently worshipped were invented. And communities attempting to create guidelines for civilized society have been coming up with rules that have resembled one another in cultures all over the world. Don’t lie, don’t cheat, don’t steal, be kind to one another, etc. They’re not concepts unique to monotheism.

I respect everyone’s right to believe in whatever god they choose (almost always the same god their parents believed in, go figure). I don’t particularly respect the belief itself. A belief in a god tends to make people set themselves above other people who don’t believe as they do. It makes those others “bad.” I just wish believers would keep in mind that they might be wrong and to lighten up about it. 

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

This is an interesting aspect and something worth some further discussion. I think that you are going to have a variety of perspectives around the topic within the Christian spectrum (and maybe the same within the Jewish spectrum), but to be honest I am not sure that I have much of an understanding about the Jewish approach to understanding the nature of sin. 

I have a limited understanding of Judaism but I know they reject the concept of original sin which is probably closer to the Eastern church's view. I think the biggest difference is they treat sin as an inevitable mistake meant to be corrected where Christianity treats it as an overwhelming burden that cannot be overcome.

The one thing I've been told by my Jewish friends is that the concept of all sin being equal is just regarded. Granted this is mainly a Protestant view.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, axiom of foundation said:

If who we are is determined solely by our biology and our environment, then there is no sense in getting angry at fundamentalists.  They have no more choice in who they are and what decisions they make than anyone else.  If someone believes they are free to choose otherwise and embrace the enlightened worldview, I would be interested to know what mechanism would allow them to do so.  

Bait GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Since the topic of retaliation and responding to bad behavior has come, Jesus may have had an opinion, even for the fake world that is online. Also, the Christ-followers thread seems sorely lacking in Christ’s words.

Matthew 5: 38 You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[h] 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Love for Enemies

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[i] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get?Are not even the tax collectors doing that?47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Big fucking yikes at AoF. 🙄

He's harmless and just wants a Materialism/Determinism vs. Dualism/Free Will discussion. Which will put everyone to sleep like we just chugged a glass of vodka with a handful of Xanax.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Big fucking yikes at AoF. 🙄

I would apologize but that makes no sense if you really think about it.  How could I override my brain chemistry to act differently than I do?  No one should feel obligated to violate the laws of physics.  That's an unfair standard to judge someone by.  So I don't judge now; I do this by stepping outside nature to realize we are all just products of nature.  If we all could just step outside our predetermined way of thinking and realize that we are nothing but a collection of molecules blindly following the laws of physics, then we would all get along much better.  But people are too stupid to not act deterministically for just one minute and realize determinism is true.            

4 minutes ago, F250 said:

He's harmless and just wants a Materialism/Determinism vs. Dualism/Free Will discussion. Which will put everyone to sleep like we just chugged a glass of vodka with a handful of Xanax.

Correct on both accounts.

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He believes axioms are chosen. That alone puts his personal logical system, if you can call it that, (I wouldn’t,) on a foundation of quicksand. 

What on earth are you talking about?  Also, you never answered my question from my last response to you.

16 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

People aren't born with bigotry wired into their brains holy fucking shit

trauma babe, I don't remember you, but from reading your posts I believe you think I am taking a stance against and/or drawing a negative analogy about things you are passionate about that are very personal for you.  That is not the case.  I am making jokes about centuries old philosophical debates.  These are inside jokes for some of the posters here; we have had these debates off and on now for over 15 years on longhorn message boards.  These are meant to be lighthearted jokes referencing old discussions from a time when longhorn message boards had a small element of levity and were not so serious all the time.   

Edited by axiom of foundation

2 hours ago, axiom of foundation said:

These are meant to be lighthearted jokes referencing old discussions from a time when longhorn message boards had a small element of levity and were not so serious all the time.   

This place has become very reactionary over the last several years. An attempt at some esoteric humor will get you cut these days.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, F250 said:

This place has become very reactionary over the last several years. An attempt at some esoteric humor will get you cut these days.

And there's still plenty of "not so serious" discussion that takes places here. FFS, the only thread I've ever started on this forum is about cartoon characters I'd have sex with. I'm familiar with AoF/AoC/other handles from old sites. I've been lurking on iterations of Shaggy/Surly since my undergrad days at UT in the mid 2000s before I started posting in the last however many years. His schtick is tired and fucking offensive when applied to this context, as was his condescending/mansplain-y response to me. "Silly little girl couldn't possibly have understood my subtle and very intelligent philosophical humor that is only for OGs of a University of Texas football bulletin board forum. I better spell it out for her."

@Bama Chick said it best, but I'm mentally ill like most of you and had to say something.

Edited by trauma babe
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

And there's still plenty of "not so serious" discussion that takes places here. FFS, the only thread I've ever started on this forum is about cartoon characters I'd have sex with. I'm familiar with AoF/AoC/other handles from old sites. I've been lurking on iterations of Shaggy/Surly since my undergrad days at UT in the mid 2000s before I started posting in the last however many years. His schtick is tired and fucking offensive when applied to this context, as was his condescending/mansplain-y response to me. "Silly little girl couldn't possibly have understood my subtle and very intelligent philosophical humor that is only for OGs of a University of Texas football bulletin board forum. I better spell it out for her."

@Bama Chick said it best, but I'm mentally ill like most of you and had to say something.

It wasn't offensive and it wasn't subtle. He was obviously presenting the moral responsibility/determinism trope. Out of everything posted in this thread it was one of the least offensive posts.

1 minute ago, F250 said:

it wasn't subtle. He was obviously presenting the moral responsibility/determinism trope.

Weird, that's exactly what I was saying.

Within the recent context of the thread, as a queer woman in Texas, it is offensive to me and I said something about it. It's not particularly relevant to me whether or not you think it's offensive.

5 hours ago, Mole said:

Since the topic of retaliation and responding to bad behavior has come, Jesus may have had an opinion, even for the fake world that is online. Also, the Christ-followers thread seems sorely lacking in Christ’s words.

Matthew 5: 38 You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[h] 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Love for Enemies

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[i] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get?Are not even the tax collectors doing that?47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Lol I've been citing scripture left and right and all I seem to get is form responses ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯