2020-2021 PGA Tour thread

Wally Fairway

Looking forward to this...     2021 Ryder Cup

report-rydercup-800-445.jpg

The 43rd Ryder Cup Matches will be held in the United States on September 24 to 26, 2021, on the Straits course at Whistling Straits, Haven, Wisconsin.[1] Team Europe is the reigning cup holder after its 17½–10½ victory over Team USA in 2018 at Le Golf National.

Standings for 30 that make this week's TOUR CHAMPIONSHIP

2021 FEDEXCUP SEASON STANDINGS

2021                                2021
Y-T-D statistics through: FedExCup Standings for Aug 29, 2021
RANK THIS
WEEK
PLAYER
NAME
POINTS BEHIND LEAD
1 Patrick Cantlay 0
2 Tony Finau 738
3 Bryson DeChambeau 1,113
4 Jon Rahm 1,239
5 Cameron Smith 1,481
6 Justin Thomas 1,931
7 Harris English 2,054
8 Abraham Ancer 2,061
9 Jordan Spieth 2,070
10 Sam Burns 2,088
11 Collin Morikawa 2,114
12 Sungjae Im 2,161
13 Viktor Hovland 2,351
14 Louis Oosthuizen 2,367
15 Dustin Johnson 2,412
16 Rory McIlroy 2,424
17 Xander Schauffele 2,448
18 Jason Kokrak 2,455
19 Kevin Na 2,486
20 Brooks Koepka 2,509
21 Corey Conners 2,618
22 Hideki Matsuyama 2,621
23 Stewart Cink 2,646
24 Joaquin Niemann 2,673
25 Scottie Scheffler 2,694
26 Daniel Berger 2,708
27 Erik van Rooyen 2,854
28 Sergio Garcia 2,902
29 Billy Horschel 2,905
30 Patrick Reed 2,921
TOP 30: TOUR CHAMPIONSHIP
31 K.H. Lee 2,963
32 Charley Hoffman 2,964
33 Alex Noren 2,975
34 Si Woo Kim 3,009
35 Max Homa 3,033
36 Hudson Swafford 3,065
37 Cam Davis 3,065
38 Kevin Kisner 3,088
39 Keegan Bradley 3,096
40 Webb Simpson 3,107
41 Brian Harman 3,134
42 Marc Leishman 3,135

Edited by LTtxfan

39 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

How many of these guys were just punk ass rich boys growing up?

Most of them. Including this board's favorite. That said I don't get rooting against golfers outside of the Ryder. I cheer for my favorites but outside of that it's easy for me to be happy for whoever wins. I love Rory, I'm kind of forced to cheer for Bryson, I've enjoyed watching Spieth try and exorcise demons. There are of course exceptions and Bryson toes that line - but people in the crowd openly cheering against him (or anyone else) at tour events is pretty classless in my book. Seems like a lot of folks are kind of missing the spirit of the game - to no one's surprise considering the current climate of socially acceptable idiocy and misdirected vitriol.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Lurch said:

Anyone seeing odds yet. I’d guess US is a slight favorite?

Neither of my books have odds currently, but MGM is currently showing 

image.thumb.png.d808ded12b34873a6c2e438274d2ad59.png 

Don't usually wager on the ryder cup, but if I had to, I'd be leaning  towards that +200 moneyline. 

The "Brooksie" thing is funny as shit, but it may have run it's course.  I read that some fan yelled "nice playing, Brooksie" to BDC as he was about to enter the scorer's tenant, and he was this close to losing his shit, but instead asked a cop to handle it.  I would LOVE to see him just snap though and start chasing a fan with a club in his hand like a maniac.

• Haha 1

So the top six automatically make the Ryder Cup team. Stricker now selects six more from the following after Eastlake. Who do you choose if you picked today ?

If I was coach I would stay away from guys who have played in a Ryder Cup but sucked, regardless of their current level of play on tour.

Some guys thrive in that atmosphere like Poulter and Garcia regardless of their ranking on tour. Others, gag in this atmosphere and the US team always has too many of these guys, like Kuchar (1-7-1) in singles. Jimmy Walker etc.

I would pick ice in the bloodstream guys regardless of current ranking as my picks. Last time the captains picks were 2-10-0 with only Finau winning points, thats pathetic.

Without thinking I would go: Spieth, Schauffele, Scheffler, Reed i think is out due to illness, if not, he is added although I hate him.

Then it gets tougher for me.

4) Finau, deserves it and is 2-1 in Ryder Cup he chokes quite a bit but I’m comfortable with this pick.

5) Kisner - great match play guy and liked in the locker room. Ice water guy.

6) Horschel - not a fan but is a good match play guy, fiery and I think would thrive in that atmosphere.

Close but Out:

Simpson - good player but only 4-4-1 in Ryder cup appearances. Not good enough.

Berger - want to add him, maybe instead of Horschel but he seems like a nice guy who might get overwhelmed in that atmosphere.

The list:

7. Finau
8. Schauffele
9. Spieth
10. English
11. Reed
12. Berger
13. Simpson
14. Scheffler
15. Kokrak
16. Burns
17. Horschel
18. Kisner
19. Na
20. Mickelson

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

So the top six automatically make the Ryder Cup team. Stricker now selects six more from the following after Eastlake. Who do you choose if you picked today ?

If I was coach I would stay away from guys who have played in a Ryder Cup but sucked, regardless of their current level of play on tour.

Some guys thrive in that atmosphere like Poulter and Garcia regardless of their ranking on tour. Others, gag in this atmosphere and the US team always has too many of these guys, like Kuchar (1-7-1) in singles. Jimmy Walker etc.

I would pick ice in the bloodstream guys regardless of current ranking as my picks. Last time the captains picks were 2-10-0 with only Finau winning points, thats pathetic.

Without thinking I would go: Spieth, Schauffele, Scheffler, Reed i think is out due to illness, if not, he is added although I hate him.

Then it gets tougher for me.

4) Finau, deserves it and is 2-1 in Ryder Cup he chokes quite a bit but I’m comfortable with this pick.

5) Kisner - great match play guy and liked in the locker room. Ice water guy.

6) Horschel - not a fan but is a good match play guy, fiery and I think would thrive in that atmosphere.

Close but Out:

Simpson - good player but only 4-4-1 in Ryder cup appearances. Not good enough.

Berger - want to add him, maybe instead of Horschel but he seems like a nice guy who might get overwhelmed in that atmosphere.

The list:

7. Finau
8. Schauffele
9. Spieth
10. English
11. Reed
12. Berger
13. Simpson
14. Scheffler
15. Kokrak
16. Burns
17. Horschel
18. Kisner
19. Na
20. Mickelson

I know Scheffler is a Horn but he'd be my last pick if anything. He has 0 tour wins still. 

Automatic Qualifiers: Morikawa, DJ, Bryson, Koepka, JT, Cantlay

Guaranteed Captain Picks: Spieth, Xander

That leaves a bubble of 4.  

I think Finau makes it.  7th in Ryder Cup points, 9th in OWGR, recent big win and passable Ryder Cup/President's Cup record (only 2 losses in 7 matches).

English is probably next in line given his OWGR and Ryder Cup rankings (11 and 10, respectively) and two 2021 wins.

Reed's illness provides a great excuse to leave him out and the rest of the dudes are tough to separate.

• Like 1

Rory taking up for BDC. 

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/32126370/rory-mcilroy-says-pretty-tough-bryson-dechambeau-right-now

I dislike BDC. He's a douche extraordinaire. His antics are of a 12 year old kid. There's much to dislike.

I actually felt bad for him on Sunday. The whole Brooksy thing needs to stop, especially taunting him after that loss. I would've cheered him on to beat the shit out of the dude saying that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Rory taking up for BDC. 

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/32126370/rory-mcilroy-says-pretty-tough-bryson-dechambeau-right-now

I dislike BDC. He's a douche extraordinaire. His antics are of a 12 year old kid. There's much to dislike.

I actually felt bad for him on Sunday. The whole Brooksy thing needs to stop, especially taunting him after that loss. I would've cheered him on to beat the shit out of the dude saying that. 

I'd be happy watching him beat the shit out of Azinger who commented nine millions times about BDC "calling out" Cantley.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Rory taking up for BDC. 

Cantlay and Morikawa also defending him to some degree in that article. Spieth compared him to Tiger last week. 

I've never got the impression that he's actually widely disliked on tour. I'm sure he rubs some guys the wrong way but I think athletes tend to respect each other more than fans do. And I think that's true for a lot of non fan favorite golfers. 

The "Cantlay and Bryson hate each other" quip was so stupid. Golfers don't hate each other because of an intense match. This isn't the NBA in the late 80s. Maybe Cantlay really doesn't like him but assuming that is just conjecture. 

Hopefully I'm close to the mark here because we really don't want any distractions during the Ryder. But I think they'll be fine. 

45 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Rory taking up for BDC. 

I could give a fuck. I'm guessing half of what drives BDC's douchfactor is his calculated effort to win the stupid ass Player Impact Program bonus of $8 million.