Deion Sanders "Coach Prime" Now At Colorado

Don Johnson

24 minutes ago, Chooky said:

That happened? Loved that guy as a player. Sounds like i now like him even more as a person. 

May be apocryphal. I heard bayless was interviewing a cowboy post game in the locker room and Washington walked by on the way to or from the showers, stopped, peed on his leg, and walked off without saying a word

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

May be apocryphal. I heard bayless was interviewing a cowboy post game in the locker room and Washington walked by on the way to or from the showers, stopped, peed on his leg, and walked off without saying a word

Fun team. Washington peeing on people and Haley jerking off during team meetings.

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

You know who still, to this day, has not done a damn thing to diffuse the Blackburn situation?  His own head coach.  But you've got Prime and now Hunter doing so.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

You know who still, to this day, has not done a damn thing to diffuse the Blackburn situation?  His own head coach.  But you've got Prime and now Hunter doing so.  

The Rock Reaction GIF

what do you need him to say here? no, really. what do you expect him to say?

here is a snippet of what all 3 (Norvell, Sanders, Hunter) have said:

“Henry Blackburn is a good player who played a phenomenal game,” said Sanders, whose 19th-ranked Buffaloes (3-0) travel to No. 10 Oregon on Saturday before hosting No. 5 Southern Cal next week. “He made a tremendous hit on Travis on the sideline. You could call it dirty, you could call it he was just playing the game of football. But whatever it was, it does not constitute that he should be receiving death threats."

Colorado State coach Jay Norvell said Monday that Blackburn, who’s from Boulder, and his family had their address posted on social media. Norvell also added that police were involved given the nature of the comments.

“I’m saddened if there’s any of our fans, that’s on the other side of those threats," Sanders said. "I would hope and pray not, but that kid was just playing (to) the best of his ability. And he made a mistake. ... Let’s move on. That kid does not deserve that.”

In his online streaming show, Hunter said of Blackburn's hit: "He did what he was supposed to do. It’s football. Something bad is going to happen on the field sooner or later. You’ve got to get up and fight again.”

here is Norvell's full quote btw:

“I hope everybody’s healthy; I hope that Travis gets healthy and gets back out there,” Norvell said in advance of 0-2 CSU’s visit to 1-2 Middle Tennessee this weekend. “We certainly don’t want to see anybody get hurt.”

Norvell described the hit as a “bang-bang type of play” but didn’t feel it was malicious or deserved punishment from the school or the Mountain West Conference.

“When you throw a deep ball and you’ve got a guy playing middle safety, he’s got to react on the boundary and he’s going full speed,” Norvell said. “The officials looked at it, we looked at it. It’s not certainly not something that we teach or coach, it just — it happens in football sometimes. And so (there) seems to have been a lot of attention about that play. But it’s a play that happens.”

The Rams coach expressed concern that the social-media stardom of Hunter, who had 978,000 Instagram followers as of early Monday, and that of CU coach Deion Sanders, whom Norvell verbally tweaked late last week, have only accelerated the vitriol aimed toward his safety.

Blackburn’s hit also drew scorn from celebrities such as LeBron James and JJ Watt via the “X” platform.

“We had a player get death threats and his family get death threats and their address (get) posted all over Instagram and social media,” Norvell continued. “And I just don’t think those kind of things have any place in college football. And I hope there can be some accountability (for) that type of behavior.

“And I’m very concerned for our kids. These are 18-to-22-year-old kids. They play college football. I know a lot of people get excited about that, but there’s really no place for that in athletics and sports.

“I think we have a responsibility and I think we have to be careful in today’s age (with) all the information and everything that’s out there, that sometimes all this stuff becomes real and it’s not real. It’s something somebody’s created on the internet or something, or a campaign that somebody’s running for somebody else …

“If you just check your phone every time it buzzes and you see the headline, that’s not reality. That’s just something somebody created on YouTube. So I think we have to be careful of that. And people that aren’t really paying attention to what’s going on in college athletics … they get their news from that, from YouTube and all that.

“And I’m not against it. I look at that stuff, too. But I just think you have to be mature and adult in taking on that information …

“And you’ve got to be careful. And I think responsible adults have got to reframe what is going on in the world. And if we don’t do that, it’s irresponsible. In my opinion, there’s a lot of irresponsibility going on all over in the media … I think too many times, people get complacent and whatever they see, they replace their social media feed for news. It’s not news. It’s propaganda. And so don’t take it as news.”

no, seriously. what are your expectations for what he should say here? do you think him calling out CU fans directly will de-escalate the situation at all? do you think he should mention it every week and bring it back up? maybe he should go out of his way to bring it up every time he talks to the media - i'm sure that will get things to quiet down.

come the fuck on dude.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Just now, NoName said:

The Rock Reaction GIF

what do you need him to say here? no, really. what do you expect him to say?

here is Norvell's full quote btw:

no, seriously.

what are your expectations for what he should say here? do you think him calling out CU fans directly will de-escalate the situation at all? do you think he should mention it every week and bring it back up? maybe he should go out of his way to bring it up every time he talks to the media - i'm sure that will get things to quiet down.

come the fuck on dude.

If he had said it was a dirty hit and they don't condone that, it would have been it.  But he didn't think it was dirty and based on the way his team played that night, he does coach it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Chewbacca said:

If he had said it was a dirty hit and they don't condone that, it would have been it.  But he didn't think it was dirty and based on the way his team played that night, he does coach it.

so to be clear you think that if he calls it a dirty hit that will de-escelate the situation, locally or nationally? you think that's going to stop death threats? lol

coach A:

He described the hit as a “bang-bang type of play” but didn’t feel it was malicious or deserved punishment from the school or the Mountain West Conference. “When you throw a deep ball and you’ve got a guy playing middle safety, he’s got to react on the boundary and he’s going full speed,” he said. “The officials looked at it, we looked at it. It’s not certainly not something that we teach or coach, it just — it happens in football sometimes. And so (there) seems to have been a lot of attention about that play. But it’s a play that happens.”

coach B:

“He made a tremendous hit on the sideline. You could call it dirty, you could call it he was just playing the game of football. But whatever it was, it does not constitute that he should be receiving death threats."

player:

"He did what he was supposed to do. It’s football. Something bad is going to happen on the field sooner or later."

• Hook 'Em 1

I cannot believe that this shit is still being debated. It's boring at this point. There was a cheap shot, there were repercussions, a lot of relevant parties worked to put it to bed. But no, the debate lives on at Surly and that shit will continue until the CSU coach cries on national television and pleads for forgiveness for his team's sins from the angry CU fanbase while he's being chemically castrated. 

In reality, it would actually be pretty fucking interesting to see some breakdowns of the game this weekend, linked however. That's normally something Surly does really on the team threads - amalgamates links and talks about match-ups. 

Let Chewbacca go sob, rocking in the fetal position awash in the dulcet tones of a penitent Sarah McLachlan, in his living room lit only by candlelight as he stares into his framed picture of Travis Hunter and swears online vengeance. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/27/2023 at 9:50 AM, Incredulity said:

More like when Junior Seau's brain turned to mush and he killed himself.

At my age it's really painful to look back at all the greats from the old days who were either seriously injured and had their careers shortened, or suffered miserable days after retiring. It would really suck to have had a HOF career only to have to have someone dress you in the mornings.

3 hours ago, NoName said:

so to be clear you think that if he calls it a dirty hit that will de-escelate the situation, locally or nationally? you think that's going to stop death threats? lol

coach A:

He described the hit as a “bang-bang type of play” but didn’t feel it was malicious or deserved punishment from the school or the Mountain West Conference. “When you throw a deep ball and you’ve got a guy playing middle safety, he’s got to react on the boundary and he’s going full speed,” he said. “The officials looked at it, we looked at it. It’s not certainly not something that we teach or coach, it just — it happens in football sometimes. And so (there) seems to have been a lot of attention about that play. But it’s a play that happens.”

coach B:

“He made a tremendous hit on the sideline. You could call it dirty, you could call it he was just playing the game of football. But whatever it was, it does not constitute that he should be receiving death threats."

player:

"He did what he was supposed to do. It’s football. Something bad is going to happen on the field sooner or later."

Taking ownership IS the best way to defuse the situation. People get upset when they feel like someone is getting away with it. Had the call been targeting then nothing would've happened. We are where we are because he kept playing and his coach responded like a seasoned politician when you remind him he voted the other way on a sensitive issue.

• Hook 'Em 1

The problem this weekend is though USC's defense isn't the best, They DO have a pass rush. They have more sacks than we do, though some of that should be expected since they cause teams to throw it because they jump out to a lead. They have 16 sacks to our 13 and 41 TFLs to our 27. Braylan Shelby, you know the guy people seemed worried about on the recruiting thread, has 5 tackles, 2 TFLs, and a strip sack as a true freshman. Colorado, who cannot naturally run the ball, is going to have to get the ball out lightning quick to have any chance at making this competitive.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

The problem this weekend is though USC's defense isn't the best, They DO have a pass rush. They have more sacks than we do, though some of that should be expected since they cause teams to throw it because they jump out to a lead. They have 16 sacks to our 13 and 41 TFLs to our 27. Braylan Shelby, you know the guy people seemed worried about on the recruiting thread, has 5 tackles, 2 TFLs, and a strip sack as a true freshman. Colorado, who cannot naturally run the ball, is going to have to get the ball out lightning quick to have any chance at making this competitive.

There's a >50% chance this week looks similar to last week.  And the Prime haters will crow about how terrible he is if that happens.  If they win 6 games and get to a bowl, this season is a smashing success, though.  And Oregon and USC are the two toughest games on the schedule.  They don't play Washington this year.

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I cannot believe that this shit is still being debated. It's boring at this point. There was a cheap shot, there were repercussions, a lot of relevant parties worked to put it to bed. But no, the debate lives on at Surly and that shit will continue until the CSU coach cries on national television and pleads for forgiveness for his team's sins from the angry CU fanbase while he's being chemically castrated. 

In reality, it would actually be pretty fucking interesting to see some breakdowns of the game this weekend, linked however. That's normally something Surly does really on the team threads - amalgamates links and talks about match-ups. 

Let Chewbacca go sob, rocking in the fetal position awash in the dulcet tones of a penitent Sarah McLachlan, in his living room lit only by candlelight as he stares into his framed picture of Travis Hunter and swears online vengeance. 

I’ll let you out of the bet for 950.00

• Haha 2

Every coach has haters. The more a coach wins the more haters there will be. I don't understand why this is such a big deal for Prime fans. Embrace the hate and continue to pick up more haters with wins on the field. You think Saban and Smart don't have haters? Are they or their fans losing sleep over it?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Every coach has haters. The more a coach wins the more haters there will be. I don't understand why this is such a big deal for Prime fans. Embrace the hate and continue to pick up more haters with wins on the field. You think Saban and Smart don't have haters? Are they or their fans losing sleep over it?

Who is losing sleep?  I love the hate, I just think it's comical at times.

20 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Who is losing sleep?  I love the hate, I just think it's comical at times.

Why is it comical? Every big time coach has plenty of haters. Why do you want everyone to love Deion? He doesn't make it easy to be loved by the fans of other schools.

Edited by UTEE97

11 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Agree. The Dion hate isn't even that bad. Ryan Day has to live with the fact that he looks like a pedo and the internet likes to remind him.

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, F250 said:

Agree. The Dion hate isn't even that bad. Ryan Day has to live with the fact that he looks like a pedo and the internet likes to remind him.

Now all I need is y'all to pronounce my name
It's Kanye, but some of my plaques still say Kane

Edited by BeardIP

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

There's a >50% chance this week looks similar to last week.  And the Prime haters will crow about how terrible he is if that happens.  

People do tend to talk shit and make fun of high media profile teams that lose by 30+ and get dicked down in every phase of the game, yes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

People do tend to talk shit and make fun of high media profile teams that lose by 30+ and get dicked down in every phase of the game, yes.
They have already won 300% more games than last year, and they have a good chance at a bowl. By any metric, that is a great season. But you somehow think it's bad?

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
39 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

They have already won 300% more games than last year, and they have a good chance at a bowl. By any metric, that is a great season. But you somehow think it's bad?

Of course I don’t, because that isn’t what I said. Just saying that obviously people will talk shit about Deion if his team looks like complete ass and loses by 30+ again. The Lincoln Riley thread (if there is one) would be equally lit up if they lost in similarly embarrassing fashion. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

26 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

It seems like you were more comfortable when everybody knew Colorado was terrible so nobody noticed when they got obliterated in embarrassing fashion. You wanted Colorado to have a higher profile, so stop crying about haters. When you're a news story and you get destroyed you will hear about it. There's nothing comical about that, it's the same for everyone. CU and Sanders aren't special in that regard. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Of course I don’t, because that isn’t what I said. Just saying that obviously people will talk shit about Deion if his team looks like complete ass and loses by 30+ again. The Lincoln Riley thread (if there is one) would be equally lit up if they lost in similarly embarrassing fashion. 
Lulz. Keep on hearing, my dude.

6 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

It's the dog-whistling comments that make it different. When we hate those other coaches the comments tend to stay about football or at least something they did that we don't like. It doesn't drift into the no no zone as it has here. I expect that out of Texags and SECrant, but not here.

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

It's the dog-whistling comments that make it different. When we hate those other coaches the comments tend to stay about football or at least something they did that we don't like. It doesn't drift into the no no zone as it has here. I expect that out of Texags and SECrant, but not here.

You mean dawg-whistle, right?

The renaming the Captain positions in the CU program is but one symptom that lends itself to the criticism. Don't try to urban/ ghetto shit up and then claim it's mainstream.  Again, 'tis but one symptom.  Is it hurting anything?  Probably not.  Is it dumb as hell?  Absolutely.

8 minutes ago, slorch said:

You mean dawg-whistle, right?

The renaming the Captain positions in the CU program is but one symptom that lends itself to the criticism. Don't try to urban/ ghetto shit up and then claim it's mainstream.  Again, 'tis but one symptom.  Is it hurting anything?  Probably not.  Is it dumb as hell?  Absolutely.

Ghetto shit up?   Got ya dawg

Yes.  Super high level discovery there in the CU football program.

Keepin it real like it was back on the block.

Hint: we made fun of this behavior big time in the military too, because it’s dumb.  College isn’t for keeping things comfortable, is it?

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Yes.  Super high level discovery there in the CU football program.

Keepin it real like it was back on the block.

Hint: we made fun of this behavior big time in the military too, because it’s dumb.  College isn’t for keeping things comfortable, is it?

Meh.  I served.  We definitely had creative names