Irish Whiskey

PencilPusher

Hadn't seen a topic for Irish Whiskey yet so thought I would start.

Related image

My latest find....single malt irish whiskey......really good value for the price point ($25). Believed to be associated with the Bushmills distillery and of course a really cool bottle.

Image result for quiet man whiskey

Another nice find I discovered at the bar at Dromoland Castle in County Clare - really nice finish - likely from the bourbon casks it was aged in.  $35 price point that I've seen in places like Spec's and Total Wine

REDBREAST 12 CSK STRENGTH

Redbreast 12 - Still one of the best

Image result for jameson distillery reserve

Always pick up a bottle of this when I visit Dublin. The Jameson distillery reserve  - 12 year aging in bourbon and sherry casks.....nice sipping whiskey and can't buy it in the States.

What are y'all drinking

32 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Green Spot and Yellow spot are so very good.  A bit pricey for their age, but really good. 

Knappogue Castle is decent and not too expensive.  

yeah, i just looked it up.  looks like specs and total wine have them but they are more than i was expecting and hoping.  $55 for green, and $85 for yellow.  

2 hours ago, next2naus said:

the first two appear to be gimmicky crap. the last two are acceptable. 

this is the water of life:

panel-4-img.png

Forgot about Green Spot...that stuff is pretty good as well. The bordeaux version is a unique uisge beatha

Despite what you may think about what appears to be "gimmicky", Sexton is actually getting some pretty good run amongst the whiskey types and although the name of Quiet Man sounds gimmicky, the whiskey itself is distilled in Derry (Northern Ireland), fairly far away from where the Quiet Man was filmed and was recommended to me by the bartender at a bar with over 50 Irish whiskeys (since I mentioned to him I was primarily a single malt scotch drinker). I think they're both legit and worth a pour so you can decide for yourself. 

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Irish newbie here. I know Redbreast is the best. What's a good entry level bottle? I assume the Pot Still 12 Year? 

Knoppogue (sp?) Castle is a good Irish at a good price point. Regular redbreast or green spot would be my next suggestion. 

On 4/20/2018 at 6:04 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Irish newbie here. I know Redbreast is the best. What's a good entry level bottle? I assume the Pot Still 12 Year? 

Besides everything else listed here on this thread, also look at Teeling - their small batch and single grain are pretty good. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/6/2018 at 10:49 PM, RCRanger03 said:

Kilbeggan's was pretty popular amongst the locals when I lived in Westmeath, but I didn't drink much beyond beer so I can't vouch much beyond that. 

My wife picked me up a bottle of Kilbeggan this weekend. Its actually pretty good, not very complex but still pretty good.

• 7 months later...
On 4/19/2018 at 4:52 PM, PencilPusher said:

Forgot about Green Spot...that stuff is pretty good as well. The bordeaux version is a unique uisge beatha

Despite what you may think about what appears to be "gimmicky", Sexton is actually getting some pretty good run amongst the whiskey types and although the name of Quiet Man sounds gimmicky, the whiskey itself is distilled in Derry (Northern Ireland), fairly far away from where the Quiet Man was filmed and was recommended to me by the bartender at a bar with over 50 Irish whiskeys (since I mentioned to him I was primarily a single malt scotch drinker). I think they're both legit and worth a pour so you can decide for yourself. 

Had the Red Spot @ Strangeways last Saturday.  $20 a pour.  Aged in bourbon, sherry and marsala casks.  Slammed and went hard.

• Haha 1

Not wise in the ways of Irish. I’m a Bourbon guy, my wife (no pics) is a Single Malt girl. We keep a helluva bar at home, but don’t drink each other’s stash. 

A few years ago, a friend turned us onto Teeling’s, and it has become our March tradition, and a bottle that we can both agree upon. 

Otherwise...that’s all I know...

Introduced to this brand by an Irish bar entrepreneur who has done well business-wise in FtWorth.  Before it was readily available in liquor stores, he'd bring back pints of it after trips home to visit family.  It's blended, and cheap ... but surprisingly smooth.

paddy-irish-whiskey.jpg?ss=2.0

Paddy is $19 at Total Wine. That's not "cheap" by my standards. I can buy "military special" whiskey 1.75 for I think $16 or so, no tax. That's cheap. And no, I haven't had the balls to pull the trigger. I expect when it warms up I will want some really cheap ass, tubing on the lake stuff, and that will fill the bill, and I will have no shame. My only regret will be it didn't come in a bag with a spigot.

Edited by Thetexashammer

sexton-whiskley.jpeg

Had an Irish tasting a few weeks back.  This was the overall winner of the four bottles tasted. 

As mentioned earlier, Green and Yellow Spot are also awesome (and were not on the menu for the tasting as we were going for brands not as recognizable).

The Whistler 10 year also fared well in the tasting:

the-whistler-10-year-old-whiskey_2017072

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 5:24 PM, MAROON said:

sexton-whiskley.jpeg

Had an Irish tasting a few weeks back.  This was the overall winner of the four bottles tasted. 

As mentioned earlier, Green and Yellow Spot are also awesome (and were not on the menu for the tasting as we were going for brands not as recognizable).

The Whistler 10 year also fared well in the tasting:

the-whistler-10-year-old-whiskey_2017072

What were the other two tasted? Big fan of Sexton (see my original post) so not surprised it fared well in your tasting. 

1 hour ago, PencilPusher said:

What were the other two tasted? Big fan of Sexton (see my original post) so not surprised it fared well in your tasting. 

actually there were five, because the The Whistler was broken out at the end.

Teelings small batch - came in last.

Knappogue 12 and 16. - 16 was preferred, but neither had much complexity.

We also tasted a bottle of The Exclusive Malts which was fantastic.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Got the Sexton lined up for St. Patrick's Day tomorrow. 

Will probably also kill off the bottle of Tullamore DEW that primarily gets used for mixing.  I also have a bottle of Proper 12 that someone gave me as a gift.  I've heard/read bad things, but I may bust it open so that I can see for myself.  All in all, I expect to be seriously hungover Friday morning. 

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

Got the Sexton lined up for St. Patrick's Day tomorrow. 

Will probably also kill off the bottle of Tullamore DEW that primarily gets used for mixing.  I also have a bottle of Proper 12 that someone gave me as a gift.  I've heard/read bad things, but I may bust it open so that I can see for myself.  All in all, I expect to be seriously hungover Friday morning. 

March 18 is like SuperMonday.  Usually a bad time.

• 1 year later...
On 3/19/2022 at 10:07 AM, BigDHornfan said:

RedBreast 27 has ruined me for any other IW.
Worth every cent of its $500 retail price.

Was drinking that at a place in Killarney.  10 euros a drink.  Insane good deal.  They had just gotten Tito's over there and it was all the rage.  Playing golf at Old Head and got a couple double vodka drinks for a total of 60 euro. 

16 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Teeling Single Grain. Is this a special bottling ? “Spirit of Dublin”?

Don't know.  My friend could be full of it.  Wait.  Of course, he is full of it...he's my friend; however, he's pretty good about this stuff because he spends a lot of time over there.  

Who knows?

It tastes good.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Don't know.  My friend could be full of it.  Wait.  Of course, he is full of it...he's my friend; however, he's pretty good about this stuff because he spends a lot of time over there.  

Who knows?

It tastes good.

I'm wondering if it's the cabernet sauvignon casks that makes it unique.  They probably have several different versions of single grain bottlings.