He's ready to lead Texas

Pancho

Well if you want a dirty cheater, why not go for Bill Belichick?  

Instead of rebuilding NE here's a chance for a new challenge of proving himself at the college level.  And no more winters.  No college experience but his dad coached Navy, he's buddies with Saban, and we could recruit a quality staff of college assistants that are young and hungry to learn from the NFL's best.  Biggest name splash you could find and the perception he'd create a pipeline to the NFL would boost recruiting.  Would scare some discipline into some of these knuckleheads.  He knows how to run an organization from top to bottom.  Knows how to intimidate officials into a massive home field advantage.  Kurt Bohls will soil his diapers.

We'd have to develop an air cooled hoodie, though.  NASA is nearby.

And it would start as a technically clean hire, he's never been sanctioned by the NCAA....

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, BurntEyes said:

Tell me all the differences between Texas and Ohio state.

Between Austin and Columbus

Let's look at companies in the cities, population, academic history, athletic money etc. 

Ohio State is a very good public university that just so happens to give a shit about football, too. Obviously Columbus doesn't compare to Austin, but kids don't give a fuck about that. They want to win, whether it's freezing in the winter or hot as shit in our summers. 

2 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

Why  would we want a cheating fuck who will taint the program with his stink?  He isn't the answer. We need Chris Petersen outta Washington. 

Why the hell would we hire a coach out of the University of Washington? Do you remember what happened the last time we did that? I don't think our fans or university administration is willing to accept that kind of performance. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Da fuck you say.

California as your playground to recruit, easier conference to navigate, no giant rival who's better than you to trip you up. You're kidding yourself if you think that if both jobs were open, Urban goes for Texas over USC. People need to face facts that the SEC coming into Texas to recruit made this a much harder job to be successful at. 

Edited by mdmost

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

Actually Cbus is pretty damn similar to Austin in population and fortune corporations. It's also got a good food scene. Women... Well, it's not Texas that's for fucking sure.

Otherwise we agree. If Texas doesn't want to be a real athletic program, that's fine, just stop pretending and spending money on a stadium. Let's call it what it is, be a large Vandy and focus on baseball. I'm fine with it, if we stop being full of shit.

I'm with you all the way on that, amigo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We've found out common ground as well.
Ohio State is a pretty damn good school whether we like to admit it or not. They seem to pull of both, and they aren't very different from Texas in enrollment, money or academics. 

We generally agree though I think Texas is a half notch better in academics and admin thinks we can stretch to Stanford academically - here’s a hint - we can’t. And to do so admin does the easy imitation and sucks at athletics. We need to be what we are - a solid fucking public institution - Michigan, UVA, UNC, Texas, UW, and then just say hey football is religion here and we are going to skull fuck you on Saturday and Mensa you all the rest of the week... beotch. But now, we under achieve on the field and act like we are something we aren’t in the classroom. It’s nauseating and embarrassing.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

California as your playground to recruit, easier conference to navigate, no giant rival who's better than you to trip you up. You're kidding yourself if you think that if both jobs were open, Urban goes for Texas over USC. People need to face facts that the SEC coming into Texas to recruit made this a much harder job to be successful at. 

I got called out for saying A&M to SEC was a major major problem for us back in the day.

Actually Cbus is pretty damn similar to Austin in population and fortune corporations. It's also got a good food scene. Women... Well, it's not Texas that's for fucking sure.
Otherwise we agree. If Texas doesn't want to be a real athletic program, that's fine, just stop pretending and spending money on a stadium. Let's call it what it is, be a large Vandy and focus on baseball. I'm fine with it, if we stop being full of shit.

We are too close to the line of fucking with the baseball program. That’s actually a line that cannot be crossed. I’ve known we are imposters in football for three decades. We have been the Yankees of college baseball and we must maintain that program or heads need to roll. IMO.
  • Hook 'Em 3

That's not our problem, my boy MDMost is just reaching now. 
It doesn't help, that's for sure, but Texas biggest problem is Texas Athletic Department.

Both are true, and folks beating their chest back in the day were acting stupid. Now we suck and we are going to have a helluva time digging out. It truly will take an Urban to do it. And the SEC all up our ass isn’t helping.

13 minutes ago, mdmost said:

There is no longer any recruiting buy-in at USC,  no, and Oregon says "Hi".  You need to get some air.

21 minutes ago, troph said:

We are too close to the line of fucking with the baseball program. That’s actually a line that cannot be crossed. I’ve known we are imposters in football for three decades. We have been the Yankees of college baseball and we must maintain that program or heads need to roll. IMO.

We haven’t won the most CWSs ever, and haven’t won one in the last 15 years. We’re not the Yankees of college baseball; if anything we’re the Cowboys of college baseball...

Edited by Ignatius

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Not really. This is all a bunch of jerking off. I've made my peace long ago that Vince crossing the goal line on 4th and 5 was probably the absolute highlight I was going to see for the rest of my life as a Texas fan. We're 15 years from that moment. Soon to be 16. We've had a lost decade of mediocrity. This is almost a systemic issue with this program. It's not just on the head coach. It's a culture of mediocrity. I get angry at myself for even giving a shit every Saturday. 

I hadn't quite come to grips with the fact that that Rose Bowl was the apex, never to be repeated in my lifetime, but, looking back, it would be foolish to think otherwise. In short, you nailed it. And I can't believe that this line of reasoning can be that far out of step with mainstream thinking. Goddam, I'm pissed. On so many levels.

• Hook 'Em 1

We haven’t won the most CWSs ever, and haven’t won one in the last 15 years. We’re not the Yankees of college baseball; if anything we’re the Cowboys of college baseball...

Third in championships and first in every other measurable category. The two ahead of us in championships are LSU (90’s, one coach) and (USC, 60’s/70’s, one coach).

Sorry you’re wrong.
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Not really. This is all a bunch of jerking off. I've made my peace long ago that Vince crossing the goal line on 4th and 5 was probably the absolute highlight I was going to see for the rest of my life as a Texas fan. We're 15 years from that moment. Soon to be 16. We've had a lost decade of mediocrity. This is almost a systemic issue with this program. It's not just on the head coach. It's a culture of mediocrity. I get angry at myself for even giving a shit every Saturday. 

(emphasis is mine...)

Succinct.  Articulate.  +1 for insightful.

giphy-2.gif.db8a9b42d5de067d2ebc16d2262b4c01.gif

Edited by vox

28 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

We seem to have a recent history of academics and administrators in charge that either should never have been in that position (Patterson and Perrin) or who are frankly just ninnies about big time college athletics.  Not with the fans, but among too many of the high ranking university decision makers it’s been a lot closer culturally to a place like Cal or UCLA than it is to Ohio State, Florida or Michigan in terms of balancing academics and success in sports.  In other words, they really don’t give a shit about winning big in sports as long as optics are fine and the donors aren’t giving them too much shit.  Sports are a nuisance to them.

The problem is it’s a fucking false choice.  Nobody thought Stanford was a bad academic institution when Harbaugh won football games there.   Nobody thinks a Duke degree is tarnished by Coach K recruiting a million NBA players.  It’s just an excuse fans use to feel better about their teams sucking, and an excuse for academics to justify being hostile to the idea of college athletics being considered important by anyone.

Winning in sports has nothing to do with the university’s academic prestige, and we should try to excel at the highest level in everything we do.  We’re clearly not doing that, and it needs to change. 

Spot on. I don’t think Texas has enough alignment at the executive level to do what it takes to bring in a guy like Urban. I hope I’m wrong.

30 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

We seem to have a recent history of academics and administrators in charge that either should never have been in that position (Patterson and Perrin) or who are frankly just ninnies about big time college athletics.  Not with the fans, but among too many of the high ranking university decision makers it’s been a lot closer culturally to a place like Cal or UCLA than it is to Ohio State, Florida or Michigan in terms of balancing academics and success in sports.  In other words, they really don’t give a shit about winning big in sports as long as optics are fine and the donors aren’t giving them too much shit.  Sports are a nuisance to them.

The problem is it’s a fucking false choice.  Nobody thought Stanford was a bad academic institution when Harbaugh won football games there.   Nobody thinks a Duke degree is tarnished by Coach K recruiting a million NBA players.  It’s just an excuse fans use to feel better about their teams sucking, and an excuse for academics to justify being hostile to the idea of college athletics being considered important by anyone.

Winning in sports has nothing to do with the university’s academic prestige, and we should try to excel at the highest level in everything we do.  We’re clearly not doing that, and it needs to change. 

I'm not sure what it is exactly.  But we don't seem to be able to create an environment that breeds top notch football.  We have had some bad administrators for that purpose, including 40 years worth of ADs and probably Presidents too.

Maybe it's our diverse athletic department and success in other sports that breeds complacency in others, and football in particular.

• Hook 'Em 1

The SEC in Texas has made recruiting somewhat tougher, but we’ve recruited well enough to win the friggin’ Big 12. Talent recruited hasn’t been the problem, it’s development. 

I do agree that this is not going to be the year to hire Urban. The cash just isn’t there, and with oil at $39/barrel it’s going to be hard to raise it. 

5 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

Why  would we want a cheating fuck who will taint the program with his stink?  He isn't the answer. We need Chris Petersen outta Washington. 

Would have been a good choice after Mack.  The last coach we hired from UW didn't have a bad run in Austin, iirc.

1 hour ago, USNALonghorn said:

Spot on. I don’t think Texas has enough alignment at the executive level to do what it takes to bring in a guy like Urban. I hope I’m wrong.

we proved we didn't care that much about winning when we hire Charlie Strong.  then we amazingly doubled down on Herman more mid major bullshit

apparently James Franklin might have been the right call.

my only hope is that CDC hasn't hired a mid major coach in the other sports.   it looks like he knows what it means to be Texas but remains to be seen when he has to hire for the big 3.

our shitshow with the AD before CDC forced us into Pierce.  absolutely no way Texas should have had to settle for Pierce.

Except USC has us doubled up and LSU has surpassed us. Other than that, yes, there are several programs that are close. 

I agree our baseball history exceeds our football history. We are probably #2 baseball program of all time and inside top 10, but at bottom, for football. But this is a football state and so your point is odd particularly on the football board. 

What is not odd, and what is monumentally stupid, is that you just equated us with the Yankees. Don’t be monumentally stupid. 

USC and LSU are one coach programs until they put more titles on the board. There is no reasonable fucking basis to say USC is a better baseball program than Texas, none. They haven’t done shit in 40 years.

Burnt and I were talking about the university and the athletic program generally and you decided to come in an argue baseball is a top ten program.

Fuck off with your sock ass bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Conversely why pretend to be a football blueblood if you aren’t willing to do what it takes within the current environment to win. Passing over successful coaches because of their dark side is disingenuous: all programs “stretch” the rules, o/w we wouldn’t be talking openly about paying players in the future. We wouldn’t be signing tv contracts worth hundreds of millions or expanding stadiums etc. coaching is part of that equation.

It is highly improbable that any successful D1 coach isn’t somehow tainted, it’s only the stink hasn’t been aired or on display or exposed.yes some may be worse than others but this is a high stakes business on several levels. It’s has little, if anything to do with that actual mandate of a public university.

So my long winded point is: either do what you need to do to win, or stop pretending you want to win and move down to DIII or just intramural sports. 

• Hook 'Em 1

One coach program?  As if that matters?  UCLA are one coach hoops programs. Nebraska is a one coach football program. LSU is a one coach baseball program. None of that is a detriment to a program’s place in history. 
There are elements where Texas exceeds USC in baseball and you are surely using these to justify your position. But on no planet can you say the Horns’ 6 national titles equates to a team with 27 WS titles when you have another college team that has 12. It’s incredibly stupid. And they won the last won 20 years ago, 7 years prior to our last won, not 40. 
And I never argued we weren’t a top 10 program. Jesus. 

Fuck off dude. No one gives a shit what you think. You’re wrong. I wasn’t comparing the specifics of the Yankees MLB success to Texas specifics, but for you to act like it’s the biggest fucking exaggeration is bullshit. Texas has the most post season appearances, the most regional titles, the most college World Series appearances, the most post season wins, the most wins in the college World Series, and the third most titles in college baseball. Texas has done it in 5 different decades with multiple coaches, two of which are arguably the greatest baseball coaches ever. It is very easy to say Texas is the best college baseball program, bar none. Now fuck the fuck off.

11 minutes ago, El Squared said:

Conversely why pretend to be a football blueblood if you aren’t willing to do what it takes within the current environment to win. Passing over successful coaches because of their dark side is disingenuous: all programs “stretch” the rules, o/w we wouldn’t be talking openly about paying players in the future. We wouldn’t be signing tv contracts worth hundreds of millions or expanding stadiums etc. coaching is part of that equation.

It is highly improbable that any successful D1 coach isn’t somehow tainted, it’s only the stink hasn’t been aired or on display or exposed.yes some may be worse than others but this is a high stakes business on several levels. It’s has little, if anything to do with that actual mandate of a public university.

So my long winded point is: either do what you need to do to win, or stop pretending you want to win and move down to DIII or just intramural sports. 

Very well said. At the end of the day we are who we are. Either this administration will do what’s necessary or we are destined to be irrelevant for the foreseeable future. 

6 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

You know what’s tainted the program? 10 straights years of 4 loss seasons and losing the the likes of a sub 500 TCU and a Kansas program. Fuck this program if they don’t want to commit to winning.I’m afraid the poster above is correct we’re selling our athletics away in terms of academics. We’re more fucking concerned about pumping our chest to our past than fucking winning now. 

5 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

Some of you motherfuckers have no memory on shit. What championship did Mack have before he came here? Royal musta had a fuck ton too? Fuck that, you hire a proven coach and give him the resources.  Fucking Urban is a proven cheat and  POS. He wouldn't have left tOSU if that hadn't been the case. 

You’re such a fucking pussy. 

fuck you if you don’t want urban  

5D5F372A-6028-4A4F-AE25-2764A10F3849.jpeg

B8D6F226-8B99-46B3-B8F0-E42AA6228F49.png

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Dabo and Shanahan are incredibly stupid takes. Yes we can get Urban, if he wants to come. No, we won’t not hire him because of his past, which is shady at OSU and Florida, but not to the point we wouldn’t hire him. He’s a proven winner and the only coach that can consistently compete on both sides of the ball with Saban and Dabo.

We had Saban in 2013 and Mack fucked that deal up. Saban is cleaner than Urban, but the money that makes these decisions does not fucking care about character like some of you think. They’re not gonna hire Briles, Petrino or Kiffin, but they’ll hire Meyer. And they should have already put feelers out.

Herman can’t recover from this. He has the chops to pull off an OU upset. But he can’t finish better than 6-3 and can’t make the CCG. It will be like this every year under Herman and everyone knows it. An improvement over Strong but not the answer, and after now 11 years of this shit, we’d take Meyer in a fucking HEARTBEAT if he wants to come. Herman doesn’t have the chops with CDC or skins on the wall to avoid a quick firing and replacement. 

We didn’t have Saban in 2013. If anything, Saban used us as leverage. Why would Saban leave a Championship level team in a town where he is King to untangle the mess that is Texas football? Especially when he was at the top of the college football mountain at a football powerhouse with no ego spats with his employer? It’s the same reason Dabo to Austin is a ridiculous suggestion.

What exactly is Herman recovering from? Mack Brown wasn’t winning the conference on the regular. What standard are you measuring the success of Texas football against? All this “we expect championships” talk is horseshit. We’ve won the Big 12 3X since it’s inception in 1996. Once was a major upset, once was a beating of epic proportions and once was by a cunt hair. Our last title was 11 years ago. Our record against our rival has been shit in the last 20 years. 2004 - 2009 was an anomaly, not the norm.

Jimbo isn’t doing shit with aggy. Hiring a coach with skins on the wall doesn’t guarantee success. Meyer has a tendency to coach for a few years and then leave on some trumped up medical issue. I’m more concerned about having to hire a new coach in 5 years regardless of his success or failures because he gets tired of coaching. There is no quick fix.

One final point about “ tainted “ winning coaches we cannot somehow lower ourselves to hire : the purpose of the hire is to elevate the team , not  by cheating, but playing sound fundamental football, getting your team ready for big games, creating a mind set of aggressive play expectations for execution and accountability, minimizing “upsets” ( I use that term hesitantly since it doesn’t seem to apply to us of late), and exploiting your natural advantages of your location and history etc. Yes, these guys also have big egos and that comes with the territory.

Very successful coaches have these attributes. That elite group does not include the Jimbo Fisher types that have a nice run due to an exceptional player. Meyer for all his known flaws is in that elite group.

• Hook 'Em 1

You’re gonna die on this hill. Well okay. The Yankees leave no room for doubt with 27 titles. We have literally been doubled up by another team, only have 6 and started playing 10 years before the Yankees. But don’t let facts and numbers get in the way of your emotional rant. 

I was making an analogy you dumb shit. Best in one class: best in another class. It’s not a stretch. USC as the top program - that’s a stretch. And the only reason it even came up was in the context of the entire program. Then you had to argue argue argue. You’re the literalist monkey here. The only hill I’m dying on is the one that says dr beeper is a fucktard.

Yeah, I know you were and it was a really bad analogy. Keep getting angrier. 

A really bad analogy. Jesus Christ dude. You argue just to argue. I bet your wife hates you. You can have it. You win. I don’t care enough to stay engaged with you on this.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Not really sure what you’re responding to in the 2nd paragraph. In the first paragraph, I’ll take Tom Hicks word for it over yours. He has no reason to lie while simultaneously hurting his friend, Mack. Perhaps the end result was being used for leverage. Hicks didn’t think so. 

Hiring Meyer is as quick a fix, probably including (or at least equal to) Saban, as there is. Comparing him to Jimbo is dumb. If he comes and and turns the program around and leaves in 5 years, I’m fine with that. Despite having short stints at Florida and Ohio St. he managed to win a title at each and 2 at UF. 

id take 5 years of Meyer because he'd win like a motehrfucker and leave the cupboard full for the next guy.  we have a talent and speed issue still and have had it since Mack shit the bed.

• Hook 'Em 2