He's ready to lead Texas

Pancho

At some point, the NCAA will drop the hammer on a major program, and not South Dakota State University for Coal Miners and Blind Teachers.  I'd rather we not be made the example.  Leave it to aggy or another SEC team.
The NCAA is becoming more irrelevant by the day, in fact they probably dropped a couple relevancy points in the time it took me to write this.

SEC programs are well aware of this, yet us, BYU, meatchicken, Stanford etc would likely continue as if the NCAA still had a big hammer even if they disband.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, ousux said:

The NCAA is becoming more irrelevant by the day, in fact they probably dropped a couple relevancy points in the time it took me to write this.

SEC programs are well aware of this, yet us, BYU, meatchicken, Stanford etc would likely continue as if the NCAA still had a big hammer even if they disband.

Yeah - the NCAA doesn't give a shit about their money makers. They come down on schools like SMU and Missouri to make an example. Texas (and OU) would have already been popped if they were going to go down that route.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Okay, fine. If this is the case shut down the fucking program. Let's see how much academics likes them apples of zero fucking money from athletics if they are hell bent on shitty coaches.

Not only that but what Powers fought against wasn't Saban and becoming Alabama. It wasn't Urban and becoming Florida which is a pretty good academic school just like Ohio State, btw.

What Powers fought against was becoming Phoenix University and/or Aggy all of which was driven, not surprisingly, by an Aggy that was the governor. 

You are vastly confusing two entirely separate issues. It wasn't Powers that kept Saban from coming, it was Mack.

You're letting Powers off the hook. Yeah, Mack was the engine, but Deloss and Powers rowed that boat.  And some have said that Powers was pretty dead set on hirign an African American gentleman as Mack's replacement.

2 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Aight that's fair. My hate for Mack's end of life bullshit got the better of me. 

I should never have neglected Deloss and his roll.

I'll own it. 

I'd rather we quit football then bring Mack back.  I lost a lot of respect for him at the end.  It is not a coincidence that Bama announced Saban's extension during our banquet.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You're letting Powers off the hook. Yeah, Mack was the engine, but Deloss and Powers rowed that boat.  And some have said that Powers was pretty dead set on hirign an African American gentleman as Mack's replacement.

Yeah I don't know about that - Patterson begged freaking Jim Mora Jr to come here before settling on Strong lol 

3 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Yeah man, knew a few of those in my day. Props or shame (your choice) for your decision to marry one and not bag your limit.

We built a really nice new building for the MRS degrees at SMU while I was there. Guess what it's right across the street from?

9 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Beg?  Idk about that.  Token interview??? LOLOLOLOLOL

The Longhorns came after Mora with a Texas-sized pitch back in January. They met for four hours at a private home in Manhattan Beach, California. It was an eye-opening experience, even for somebody as seasoned as Mora, who had already been an NFL head coach at two different stops.

He was up front with the Texas brass about how important it was for his parents to be at games. They live in Palm Desert and make the two-hour drive to Pasadena for every home game. His father is even around for some practices.

During those conversations, Texas offered to send a private jet to pick up Mora's parents, and anybody else he wanted, and bring them to all of the Longhorns' games.

"I'm like, 'Is there a bottom to your bucket?'" Mora said he remembers thinking at the time.

But the more he thought about it, the more he kept coming back to one central theme: He finally felt at home with his entire family, and it certainly helped that UCLA's administration stepped up to the plate and made a significant financial commitment to both Mora and his staff.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/11496316/ucla-coach-jim-mora-discusses-why-spurned-texas-longhorns-stay-los-angeles

6 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Unless their dad, older, sibling, family member, etc. played for the school, kids today don't give a shit about a school's history and traditions. Kids today want to see conference championships, bowl trophies, and consistent winning seasons with prestige. That's something we're not getting with Mensa.  

That's exactly right, and even if their familes did go to Texas, it's still not a given (fuck the Brocks). 

On 10/5/2020 at 10:22 AM, ztejas said:

B12 for sure edges out SEC, if only because the middle of the pack and bottom of the B12 is a lot stronger. 

TCU, Baylor, Kansas etc. are all better schools than Arky, MissSt, Ole Miss etc.

I mean say Texas and Vandy is a wash - TCU, Baylor, Kansas, OU is pretty much a wash with UGA, UF, aggy, Bama. 

After that you have K St, Tech, ISU, Okie Lite, WVU which is easily a better crop than Arky, Tennessee, LSU, Miss St, Ole Miss. Those schools are full of dumb professors lecturing dumber students.

On 10/5/2020 at 9:37 AM, BabaYaga said:

LOL, academics?  This argument is so damn tired.  Florida, as a state school is ranked above us @ 6th.  We are @ 13th.

Then it's a gigantic fucking drop to even find the next Big12 school on the list.  In the meantime, you have:

• GA 15th
  • ATM 26th 
  • Auburn 40th
  • USC 54th - tied with mighty ISU
  • Mizz 60th - tied with KU
  • KY 62nd - tied with OU
  • AL 65th
  • Then I quit looking.  Forget Vanderbilt, but you are going to argue "academics" with Tech, KSU, OSU, etc in the conference.  Jesus.  

Top public schools, 2021 USNews

I’ve earned a degree from Texas and UF.  Texas used to lead in these rankings but have been passed by UF.  UGA, Auburn and Bama are much better schools than they are given credit for.  

Vandy at 14 vs Texas at 42 is hardly a wash.  

Edited by jinx

On 10/3/2020 at 5:26 PM, Harrison Stafford said:

Let's hire the HC at South Dakota State, John Stiegelmeier.  We could have a grass roots 'Stiegelmeier for hire' campaign because, at this point, what have we got to lose?

That would piss off most of my son’s in-laws as much as my fellow Longhorns. The meltdowns would be glorious. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jinx said:

I’ve earned a degree from Texas and UF.  Texas used to lead in these rankings but have been passed by UF.  UGA, Auburn and Bama are much better schools than they are given credit for.  

Vandy at 14 vs Texas at 42 is hardly a wash.  

You're not going to get much of an argument from me. I don't have a horse in the race. 

I will say that looking at one publication's ranking doesnt really paint the entire picture. I just scrolled through some of the B12 and SEC schools on the WSJ ranking, for example, and you get a different picture pretty quickly than what BabaYaga presented from the US News list. And a lot of this is subjective and not tied to rankings at all.

Let's also keep in mind that a school like Vanderbilt has, what, 2% of the total students enrolled in SEC schools? While Texas has 20-25% of the students in the B12. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/5/2020 at 9:47 AM, 6th Street said:

Yeah, idk if that means he was formally offered.  Art Briles allegedly turned us down too and I think we know that isn't true.

On 10/5/2020 at 7:44 AM, troph said:

Texas grad schools run circles around many large public universities in the South which brings the comparisons to Michigan, UVA, UW, UNC, etc.

This is one of my biggest complaints about the USNWR undergraduate rankings. There is a strong correlation between the undergraduate and graduate strength of a particular discipline within the same school. You don’t find school with a great Chemistry graduate program and a mediocre undergraduate program. The USNWR graduate rankings seem to be calculated much more like their undergraduate rankings were decades ago when Texas ranked higher. I read an editorial years ago that took the position that USNWR was changing their undergraduate criteria to boost the rankings of the east coast alma mater of their editorial board which, in turn, lowered the ranking of public universities not on the coasts.

And yes, I would welcome Urban. Texas would not allow his program to run wild like it did at Florida. Meyer has the coaching gravitas (I hate that word) to the point that he doesn’t need to do some of the things he did at Florida. He’s at the age where he has to be thinking of leaving a legacy of being the only coach to win NCs at three schools, and he wouldn’t want his last to be tainted. At least that’s what I keep telling myself. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

There is a strong correlation between the undergraduate and graduate strength of a particular discipline within the same school. You don’t find school with a great Chemistry graduate program and a mediocre undergraduate program.

I think this is undoubtedly true.

The problem for Texas, until recently, has been selectivity/acceptance rate into the undergraduate programs.  In some areas, the selective grad school greatness filtered down to undergrad so strongly that the rankers had to accept the goodness of the undergrad program despite the only initial qualification being top quarter or 1100 on the SAT.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

You're not going to get much of an argument from me. I don't have a horse in the race. 

I will say that looking at one publication's ranking doesnt really paint the entire picture. I just scrolled through some of the B12 and SEC schools on the WSJ ranking, for example, and you get a different picture pretty quickly than what BabaYaga presented from the US News list. And a lot of this is subjective and not tied to rankings at all.

Let's also keep in mind that a school like Vanderbilt has, what, 2% of the total students enrolled in SEC schools? While Texas has 20-25% of the students in the B12. 

Yeah, the highlighted is probably the true reason I called it out.  I live in the southeast, and the idea that "dumb professors are teaching dumber students" is a comment that pisses me off.  Especially since I am trying to help my daughter get accepted to an SEC school.

The subjectiveness works both ways though, since I would not want my daughter to attend FSU (thankfully she doesn't want to) because I think it is a shitty school in a shitty town.  I am shocked that school is ranked as high as it is, so I understand bias.

UF and Texas are peers on almost every level except (currently) football.  And the Big 12 and SEC are pretty comparable on an academic scale in my mind, with the edge probably going to the SEC.

And considering that I personally chose to attend Texas over Rice due to college football, I think that the SEC will likely only improve on their academic standing in the next decade or 2.

I'm not sure how this topic wound itself into the "Urban should coach here" thread, but I like to ride the derails.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, jinx said:

Yeah, the highlighted is probably the true reason I called it out.  I live in the southeast, and the idea that "dumb professors are teaching dumber students" is a comment that pisses me off.  Especially since I am trying to help my daughter get accepted to an SEC school.

The subjectiveness works both ways though, since I would not want my daughter to attend FSU (thankfully she doesn't want to) because I think it is a shitty school in a shitty town.  I am shocked that school is ranked as high as it is, so I understand bias.

UF and Texas are peers on almost every level except (currently) football.  And the Big 12 and SEC are pretty comparable on an academic scale in my mind, with the edge probably going to the SEC.

And considering that I personally chose to attend Texas over Rice due to college football, I think that the SEC will likely only improve on their academic standing in the next decade or 2.

I'm not sure how this topic wound itself into the "Urban should coach here" thread, but I like to ride the derails.

That comment was more a shot at LSU and Ole Miss - places I would never send my hypothetical future kids to. Could probably lump Arky and UK in there. 

I actually applied to Georgia in high school and thought about applying to UF. Can't remember why I didn't. Probably didn't like the idea of Florida for college. I would have applied to Vandy but didn't for personal reasons.

On 10/4/2020 at 8:16 PM, Bevo VIII said:

Yet your okay with Mack Brown who....

98B4D6EF-7CAF-4C7F-84AE-14E6D9554F7B.jpeg

I don't know what the point of this post is but if it is self righteousness than you can fly right off.  The only difference between you and 12 of those 16 guys.....is that they were caught AND the media/public cared enough about their lives to post their mug and or comment on it. 

Half of you on this board smoke pot or drive drunk and some of you have probably have even been caught but since no one cares about you publicly we most likely don't know or will never know about it. 

I don't condone their actions but neither do i judge.    

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

I don't know what the point of this post is but if it is self righteousness than you can fly right off.  The only difference between you and 12 of those 16 guys.....is that they were caught AND the media/public cared enough about their lives to post their mug and or comment on it. 

Half of you on this board smoke pot or drive drunk and some of you have probably have even been caught but since no one cares about you publicly we most likely don't know or will never know about it. 

Try reading the conversation instead of picking out one quote dipshit. Then you will understand my point and that response. 

3 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Half of you on this board smoke pot or drive drunk and some of you have probably even been caught but since no one cares about you publicly we most likely don't know or will never know about it. 

Pot will be illegal in Texas for a long time unfortunately, but I agree with your sentiment that equating possession with low morals/character is dumb.  Maybe low intelligence depending on the circumstance.  But I am also sure there have been plenty of times that this fanbase has been on their high horse about the same thing at other programs.

6 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Pot will be illegal in Texas for a long time unfortunately, but I agree with your sentiment that equating possession with low morals/character is dumb.  Maybe low intelligence depending on the circumstance.  But I am also sure there have been plenty of times that this fanbase has been on their high horse about the same thing at other programs.

illegal? You can have up to 2 oz on you and you won't even get a ticket in the city of Austin

On 10/4/2020 at 7:01 PM, SHOOTER12 said:

This will probably be the most hated post ever here, or on TOS, but I think Herman will work out.  I'm as pissed as anyone right now and I can't explain why I think he'll work out, just a deep gut feeling.

Please don't kill my family....or dogs.

It may not be popular, i don't know, but it is possible.  A Herman stat that may support this is the vast majority of his losses are a one possession/score loss.  That coupled with the fact that it took Mack 5 years before they were at the cusp of playing for the title.  He too had to let go of Bull Reese before he turned the corner.  That said, if Urban is available why do you not make him say no.   

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Try reading the conversation instead of picking out one quote dipshit. Then you will understand my point and that response. 

Like i have time to read through your blabber just to care for your delicate sensibilities.  I prefaced with i didn't know.

Edited by RollLeft

7 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

It may not be popular, i don't know, but it is possible.  A Herman stat that may support this is the vast majority of his losses are a one possession/score loss.  That coupled with the fact that it took Mack 5 years before they were at the cusp of playing for the title.  He too had to let go of Bull Reese before he turned the corner.  That said, if Urban is available why do you not make him say no.   

I don't disagree that it IS possible, I just don't personally think it's going to happen. In my heart of hearts, I had allowed a weed of irrational hope to grow after the Tech game-- "maybe this is one of those national championship teams that just wins games all year long where you walk away thinking 'how the fuck did they win???', like Ohio State in 2002". But the TCU loss just reinforced what most of us think about Herman-- for whatever reason, he coaches a lot of coinflip games, even though he's not smart enough to put his finger on the scale to tip them in his favor the way Jim Tressel or Mack Brown were. If you're constantly in one-score games but don't have any real facility for winning them, then best case you're going to lose a bunch of them, and that's our ceiling with Herman. 

For the Mack comparison's sake, though, keep in mind though that Mack's fourth team was the 2001 squad. That team was miles better than our 2020 team and we all knew it was a strong team from the outset. There was no wondering, even after the OU loss. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent

Matt Leinart went on the Ryen Rusillo show and talked about whether he thought Urban would take another job (starts ~ 37:30)

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3fOMbd8lGA6Y2sqAWt19tZ

He doesn't think he is going to go back to coaching based on his conversations with him, but the reasons seem a bit shakey for a college coach (loves spending time with family, cyst, good vibes with the Fox crew).

10 hours ago, markstanco said:

They have a tiny bit of money from the tobacco lawsuit.

Off topic, what happened to Roach?

dunno, I know the second gen partners and some of the current associates.  tobacco, asbestos before that, nursing homes, patent infringement, shareholder derivatives, corporate litigation now, the list goes on and on.

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I don't disagree that it IS possible, I just don't personally think it's going to happen. In my heart of hearts, I had allowed a weed of irrational hope to grow after the Tech game-- "maybe this is one of those national championship teams that just wins games all year long where you walk away thinking 'how the fuck did they win???', like Ohio State in 2002". But the TCU loss just reinforced what most of us think about Herman-- for whatever reason, he coaches a lot of coinflip games, even though he's not smart enough to put his finger on the scale to tip them in his favor the way Jim Tressel or Mack Brown were. If you're constantly in one-score games but don't have any real facility for winning them, then best case you're going to lose a bunch of them, and that's our ceiling with Herman. 

For the Mack comparison's sake, though, keep in mind though that Mack's fourth team was the 2001 squad. That team was miles better than our 2020 team and we all knew it was a strong team from the outset. There was no wondering, even after the OU loss. 

truthfully it was only OU that was his problem.  other than that he regularly beat teams he was supposed to beat and often beat teams that were evenly matched.  his bowl record was great.  yes there were some shitshow performances in the regular season and in the post season but  you don't win 10 games and walk away with no conference hardware by dropping games to folks you're supposed to beat.  you do that by being on the cusp but unable to beat bag-o-dicks Stoops year in and year out.

35 minutes ago, troph said:

truthfully it was only OU that was his problem.  other than that he regularly beat teams he was supposed to beat and often beat teams that were evenly matched.  his bowl record was great.  yes there were some shitshow performances in the regular season and in the post season but  you don't win 10 games and walk away with no conference hardware by dropping games to folks you're supposed to beat.  you do that by being on the cusp but unable to beat bag-o-dicks Stoops year in and year out.

I don't understand your response. It reads like you think you're correcting me.

54 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I don't understand your response. It reads like you think you're correcting me.

not necessarily.  just saying Mack isn't Herman for anyone that thinks he is.

Edited by troph

3 hours ago, RollLeft said:

The guy is 2-12 at Texas in games where he has trailed at the half.  Just the fact that he has trailed at the half in 14 games in 3+ years is enough.  The fact he can't win even 15% of those games says he will never win anything of consequence.