He's ready to lead Texas

Pancho

4 minutes ago, PatSolitanojr said:

Who do you want then? Do you think Urban is realistic? I would be all in but I don’t see it happening. 

Why not? Urban Hates Tom and this is the best way to shit on him. By coming in and winning with Ewers. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

At some point, the NCAA will drop the hammer on a major program, and not South Dakota State University for Coal Miners and Blind Teachers.  I'd rather we not be made the example.  Leave it to aggy or another SEC team.

The NCAA is on the brink of collapse if you haven’t been paying attention, they ain’t gonna do shit.

Just now, Murfdogg21 said:

Urban was certainly complimentary of Texas’s prestige, talent, and upperclassman leaders. I couldn’t tell if he was angling for the job or just trying to make Tom look worse as we continue to lose more games. 

Why not both?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Ha.  Not a year or more ago, UT was way too good for that despicable cretin, Urban Meyer, nor would Surly besmirch its character by supporting him as a candidate for UT head coach.

Enough losses puts that holier than thou shit to bed right quick.  

For the record, he's fucking great and the last place I want to see him coach is UT.  I urge each of you to revive your self righteousness.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, DCA_HORN said:
1 hour ago, burntorangebongos said:
Why  would we want a cheating fuck who will taint the program with his stink?  He isn't the answer. We need Chris Petersen outta Washington. 

This program has been tainted by stink for over a decade. I hate Meyer as much as anyone but at this point I don't care.

this.  Herman has stink on him and he's willing to seriously bend rules.  No one get punished anymore.  just hire Urban and be done with it.  I used to be a Petersen fan.  I guess I'd take him but it would be more "we're not committed to winning at the highest levels".  

CDC is skating not making a decision on Shaka and Herman.  Until he has to make that call the jury is still out but he has done well on the hires he has made IMO.

he'll also have to make a decision on Pierce after we shit the bed this year in baseball also.  he can probably let that ride since he may have to do both Shaka and Herman at once.

1 minute ago, Augustus said:

Ha.  Not a year or more ago, UT was way too good for that despicable cretin, Urban Meyer, nor would Surly besmirch its character by supporting him as a candidate for UT head coach.

For the record, he's fucking great and the last place I want to see him coach is UT.  I urge each of you to revive your self righteousness.

fuck it no way GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

At some point, the NCAA will drop the hammer on a major program, and not South Dakota State University for Coal Miners and Blind Teachers.  I'd rather we not be made the example.  Leave it to aggy or another SEC team.

no they aren't, they have been neutered and they damn sure aren't going to do it to Texas.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

My wife did her undergrad at South Dakota State.  Their football program doesn't cheat and has been an NCAA Division I Playoff Semifinalist two of the last three years.  We can only hope to sniff such rarified air.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Augustus said:

You don’t deserve your user name making bitch statement like this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

You should too. I'm telling you, the fan base is already dropping in the stands. People aren't going to re-up after a year off for another Herman retread.

And I'm telling you this is basically a voided year. CDC is going to see how limited everything was due to Covid, how limited his finances are, and how much he's on the hook for due to previous ADs and make the easy decision to go for another year. The buyout for Herman combines with how much Urban will need is not doable right now unless the Houston and Dallas big money guys want it to happen. And how are their fortunes looking right now. We're stuck. Just make your peace with it. 

49 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

In what parallel universe did the NCAA go after major SEC programs? For realz.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Want to wager... Really? 

Herman doesn't come back. We're going round and round here and I am certain if CDC brings back Herman our season tickets are dropping substantially. That coupled with our basketball and baseball issues puts CDC in the fucking hot seat, and it CDC doesn't know that, he needs to fucking go too.

Not really. This is all a bunch of jerking off. I've made my peace long ago that Vince crossing the goal line on 4th and 5 was probably the absolute highlight I was going to see for the rest of my life as a Texas fan. We're 15 years from that moment. Soon to be 16. We've had a lost decade of mediocrity. This is almost a systemic issue with this program. It's not just on the head coach. It's a culture of mediocrity. I get angry at myself for even giving a shit every Saturday. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

No chance the administration goes for Urban with his character baggage.
I'm on the PJ Fleck bandwagon. Alternative wishlist includes Malzahn, James Franklin, Gundy
If Gundy is anywhere on your list of hires you might have brain damage.

Okie State has basically been begging for a big school to take him off their hands. He's not hungry. He's rich beyond his dreams in stillwater, & might be the only coach in the B12 with less clock management skills than TH.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

The year Urban is picked up by USC or some other school that isn't fucking stupid enough to sit through another season of shit.

LOTSA people opted out this year due to Covid. I opted out before Covid.

If Tom comes back, they aren't. Book it.

What period are you visualizing where Texas is an Elite program? From 2004 - 2009 we had a damn good run. ou has won the conference more times in the last 3 years than Texas did with Colt and VY combined. 

Why the hell would Dabo leave Clemson to come here? And don't say money. Only coaches like Jimbo who can't win at FSU and already on the hot seat jump ship for that. Dabo will be in contention for the championship every year where he's at. Anybody who believes we can get him is fucking nuts. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Not really. This is all a bunch of jerking off. I've made my peace long ago that Vince crossing the goal line on 4th and 5 was probably the absolute highlight I was going to see for the rest of my life as a Texas fan. We're 15 years from that moment. Soon to be 16. We've had a lost decade of mediocrity. This is almost a systemic issue with this program. It's not just on the head coach. It's a culture of mediocrity. I get angry at myself for even giving a shit every Saturday. 

Pretty much this. 

2 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

If Gundy is anywhere on your list of hires you might have brain damage.

Okie State has basically been begging for a big school to take him off their hands. He's not hungry. He's rich beyond his dreams in stillwater, & might be the only coach in the B12 with less clock management skills than TH.

And yet he still has a winning record against TH.

I we can't get Urban, I wouldn't mind PJ.

He wouldn't. Our money is not worth the hassle. Dabo has a system in place that would take years to recreate. He had time and an alumni base that wasn't ready to run him out quickly. He has a conference where he has few roadbumps to getting an easy entry into the playoff. 

We're going to have to take a risk on some up and coming lower tier head coach or hoping someone like Urban will leave a cushy 7 figs job to deal with our bullshit. But like Tennessee, Michigan, and Florida before us, we roll the dice and try for head coach number 3. 

I could not write a more accurate account of my thoughts about how I relate to the Program than this. I’m almost at peace with it. I do grieve for my sons who love football and who have caught the Texas football bug. I need them to see a run and some big wins so I don’t feel guilty for leading them astray.

this program has been mostly mediocre since the mid-70s

that will never change until we're willing-- not able, even, but WILLING-- to hire someone like Nick Saban or Urban Meyer

if goal #1 of your football program isn't "win", without feeling the need to clarify or contextualize it, you will almost never win big. Almost never. We lucked into a once in a lifetime talent who wanted to play for a cuddly nice guy coach at the same time our recruiting hit critical mass, and we won our only national title since RIchard Nixon's first term. Other than that, moments like the 1991 Cotton Bowl and Mack's second-place Big 12 trophies and South Division Co-Championships represent our ceiling. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

And yet he still has a winning record against TH.
I we can't get Urban, I wouldn't mind PJ.
Is beating TH difficult? How has Gundy done against ou? One Fiesta Bowl win against Luck made Gundy $25mm+

Fleck is a great fit at MN. He's a rah rah guy who gets a lot out of lower talent. But I'm at the point where if the big cigars were going to the land of 10,000 lakes they'd pluck Mike Zimmer from the Vikings. Defense would be fixed, just give him an OC and a recruiting staff.

5 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I don't disagree with your take here but I'll say it again.

Want to wager on whether or not Herman returns? I'll put up $500 on a bar tab at the usual joint in Dallas the night before Texas Vs Ousux against you if willing. Either way, it's funny for everyone else and one of us. Plus, I actually like you so I'm good with taking/giving shit from/to you.

No because I hope he's not back. I don't want him back. I just think that he'll be back because a fucking virus has destroyed most athletic departments this year. And as much as we crow about how much money we have, we really don't have as much as we think. Not enough to pay for what we'll owe a worthless head coach to buy him out. 

And I'm for Urban. I don't give a shit. We've tried to two baby conference coaches and gotten the results some thought would happen with that. Hire a guy who has a proven record. It's not my money. I don't give a shit. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2

I don't disagree with your take here but I'll say it again.
Want to wager on whether or not Herman returns? I'll put up $500 on a bar tab at the usual joint in Dallas the night before Texas Vs Ousux against you if willing. Either way, it's funny for everyone else and one of us. Plus, I actually like you so I'm good with taking/giving shit from/to you.

Just stop. You're rambling.

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Anyone hear Urban say that the Oklahoma game will be where leadership is exposed?

Yep, I thought it was a rather curious comment.  The leadership here has been exposed every season it has been here.  He did specifically mention team leaders in addition to coaches.  I think he was confining his comments to the 2020 season.

Yeah, it's not. We aren't as great a destination as we think we are. 

That’s where I disagree. If we hired correctly then it would all come together and we would dominate. But we are angling for the Stanford resume not the Alabama resume. My view is we should be a solid top 25 public school and an elite sports school.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I mean, we had a pretty good run in the aughts, but we were still second fiddle to OU and several other teams.

We haven't been perennially national champion good since Royal was here.

We have an advantage being in Austin, but the rest of our natural advantages (recruiting Texas, for example) have been squandered for so long, they aren't advantages anymore.

Edited by TwiceHorn