He's ready to lead Texas

Pancho

We don’t do that because of people who think Texas ought to be an Ivy League school. It’s not and it never will be. It’s a fine large public academic institution.

No, we are much closer to Georgia or Florida or even Alabama.  

Closer to Florida maybe - both land grant public with good academic rep. Don’t insult Texas with a Bama comparison.
  • Hook 'Em 1

It’s amazing the Texas fans are down on him more than anyone. You’re just wrong. I’m not saying he’s going to be a starter. But I wouldn’t have said that about Dak either. Am I saying he’s capable enough to be Colt?  Yes. Are his measurables better than Colt’s when he was a 3rd round pick?  Yes. I have no idea what will happen. I do expect he will be a 3rd or 4th rounder and those that laugh at that notion don’t know shit. 
Teams in the NFL dont burn a 3rd or 4th round pick on a backup qb, unless there is a unique position where they just did their current qb's 2nd long term qb. And still that is dumb when they can grab a qb in later rounds to wear a headset.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Actually we did.  Mack was great at whipping NMSU, UNM, North Texas, Kansas, Baylor (pre Briles), Rice, Houston, etc.  He said it himself that he saw no reward at scheduling tough OOC games.

What were Mack's thoughts on scheduling Maryland?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Look bro, it's like 815 out here and I'm no mathematician.  But, Herman's buyout, plus his assistants and then the cost of hiring Urban and his assistants. 50-60 mil

Well if Aggy boosters can pay Sumlin's buyout and pony up $75M for Jimbo Fisher and we can't scrounge together half that for Urban (asssuming the staff remains in place), what's the point?

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'd say recruiting is going to take a hit. Kids don't want to play for an average coach when they can win games at fOSU, Bama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, etc. IF we can keep Ewers it'll probably stop the bleeding, but if he decommits it's gonna be looking for diamond in the rough types with the occasional top 100 kids. That's just how it goes. We saw it with Strong, coaches can easily shit talk our inability to win games against inferior opponents, maybe only making the Alamo bowl, not putting kids in the NFL, and the list goes on. 

Unless their dad, older, sibling, family member, etc. played for the school, kids today don't give a shit about a school's history and traditions. Kids today want to see conference championships, bowl trophies, and consistent winning seasons with prestige. That's something we're not getting with Mensa.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Closer to Florida maybe - both land grant public with good academic rep. Don’t insult Texas with a Bama comparison.

Texas grad schools run circles around many large public universities in the South which brings the comparisons to Michigan, UVA, UW, UNC, etc.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, CTC2 said:

Wish we had a coach who was not actively engaged in on the job learning.  

I think the problem is that Herman isn't actually learning anything.  He keeps making the same mistakes followed up by the same lame excuses.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Well if Aggy boosters can pay Sumlin's buyout and pony up $75M for Jimbo Fisher and we can't scrounge together half that for Urban (asssuming the staff remains in place), what's the point?

Last time around we decelerated the head coach salary wars. I mean we define BSD if you ask me.

I just want a guy that will come in and on his Monday presser doesn’t tell us he and his staff just need to figure out the “why” they lost another game and reassure us all he’s confident he can fix this.. holy fuck I want to bash my head in the wall just thinking of listening to him and his stupid coach talk.

14 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

It’s amazing the Texas fans are down on him more than anyone. You’re just wrong. I’m not saying he’s going to be a starter. But I wouldn’t have said that about Dak either. Am I saying he’s capable enough to be Colt?  Yes. Are his measurables better than Colt’s when he was a 3rd round pick?  Yes. I have no idea what will happen. I do expect he will be a 3rd or 4th rounder and those that laugh at that notion don’t know shit. 

I figure he'll probably be drafted somewhere too, but is accuracy measurable? If it is, he isn't close to Colt.

10 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Tom's cancellation fee is $15M. I'm not so sure the Pope wouldn't keep most of the staff - Ash for sure, Yurcich probably. Errbody but Giles likely, maybe a couple others. Not more than a couple megabucks total. Does MensaTom's contract take a payout if he's still on staff, but not HC?

Fuck it, hire Urban today, title him Assistant AD for Football, make MensaTom report directly to him. Give Urban his office and put Tom in the basement - give him a Burnt Orange stapler. No phone.

maxresdefault.jpg

9 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Only the agricultural branch college of The University of Texas is a land grant institution. The University of Texas itself is not a land grant institution, but thanks for playing. Univ of Alabama is not a land grant institution, either.

The founding of Univ of Texas pre-dates the land grant college system. UA was granted just over 40,000 acres of federal land by the federal government, in the 1880s but that was in lieu of repayment of a debt owed the university by the federal government. Neither school is, or has been, subject to the provisions of land grant legislation.

One differentiator between Univ of Texas and Texas' agricultural branch college is The University is, was, and always has been "Of, by, and for the people of Texas." The agricultural branch college was a federal welfare construct forced upon the people of Texas against their will during Reconstruction.

Texas' agricultural branch college was essentially established as a reform school for incorrigible high school-aged farm boys whose parents wanted to be rid of them. The University was established under the model of the University of Virginia ("Mr. Jefferson's university"). Instructors from The University could be hired at the agricultural branch college, but the instructors at the ag college were understandably judged as unfit to make the leap up to teach at The University. The ag branch college instructors bristled at their second-class status. That differentiation has long been maintained and it has long been established that The University would always be the finest public university in the state. The people of Texas will never accept "Of, by, and for the people of Texas" being allowed to become a second-class institution. In any respect.

That continues to this day.

Which is one reason why the academic side of The University would never accept a decision to join the SEC and why they would never accept the hiring of a known human piece of shit (such as Urban Meyer). Never gonna happen. The Univ of Chicago gave up intercollegiate football over higher pursuits (although the school remains an academic member of the Big 10 conference). Johns Hopkins also maintains an affiliation with the Big 10, even though they only play intercollegiate football at the D3 level. Those examples are what UT academics keep top of mind.

Because Bill Powers wanted to defend the authorities of the president of The University over the meddling of the Board of Regents, Nick Saban wasn't hired by UT to replace Mack Brown. Had Powers valued the prospects of the football program over academic interests, UT would today be contemplating stretching the budget to accommodate 70,000 students, and would be burdened with a 2.5 guaranteed transfer admission from junior college (and the overall lowering of academic standards we have seen elsewhere in Texas). That fight cost Powers his job, but saved the academic standing of The University.

Ain't no way the academics at UT Austin are going to toss that chapter of university history on the ash heap less than a decade later. If UT will pass on hiring Nick Saban over tangential academic considerations, Urban Meyer (or his type) will never step foot on the UT campus in any official capacity. People might as well be wanting Art Briles.

Never. Gonna. Happen.

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, closetohumping said:

two conference titles

And at least when Mack got steamrolled by OU or put up another shitty loss to someone else, you knew we were about to win 7 in a row to get to ten wins.  

With coach Mensa, you just brace for the next loss on his way to 4 or 5.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Meyer won five of his seven conference championships by winning a conference title game, too, so it's not one of those records where he has a bunch of "co-championships" padding it.

I think he's exactly what we need from a coaching standpoint in terms of a quick turnaround. I don't think our roster is broken, per se. It is far from perfect and as Herman's prospects dim, the recruiting will only get worse, but Meyer went unbeaten in his second year at Utah, won the national title in his second year at Florida, and then won it in his third year at Ohio State. He epitomizes the modern big-program ethos of "fuck your five-year rebuilding plan". 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Meyer won five of his seven conference championships by winning a conference title game, too, so it's not one of those records where he has a bunch of "co-championships" padding it.

I think he's exactly what we need from a coaching standpoint in terms of a quick turnaround. I don't think our roster is broken, per se. It is far from perfect and as Herman's prospects dim, the recruiting will only get worse, but Meyer went unbeaten in his second year at Utah, won the national title in his second year at Florida, and then won it in his third year at Ohio State. He epitomizes the modern big-program ethos of "fuck your five-year rebuilding plan". 

He’d also likely have 4 national titles if it wasn’t for the post season ban at Ohio state because of Treasell. 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, jinx said:

And at least when Mack got steamrolled by OU or put up another shitty loss to someone else, you knew we were about to win 7 in a row to get to ten wins.  

With coach Mensa, you just brace for the next loss on his way to 4 or 5.

Ugh. We took those 10 win seasons for granted.  I remember all the complaining about those seasons.  Damn.  Herman really makes you put things into perspective.

49 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Which is one reason why the academic side of The University would never accept a decision to join the SEC and why they would never accept the hiring of a known human piece of shit (such as Urban Meyer). Never gonna happen.

LOL, academics?  This argument is so damn tired.  Florida, as a state school is ranked above us @ 6th.  We are @ 13th.

Then it's a gigantic fucking drop to even find the next Big12 school on the list.  In the meantime, you have:

• GA 15th
  • ATM 26th 
  • Auburn 40th
  • USC 54th - tied with mighty ISU
  • Mizz 60th - tied with KU
  • KY 62nd - tied with OU
  • AL 65th
  • Then I quit looking.  Forget Vanderbilt, but you are going to argue "academics" with Tech, KSU, OSU, etc in the conference.  Jesus.  

Top public schools, 2021 USNews

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, CBHorn said:

Ugh. We took those 10 win seasons for granted.  I remember all the complaining about those seasons.  Damn.  Herman really makes you put things into perspective.

I want a coach that doesn't make me pucker my asshole to play unranked Tech, TCU, ISU and fucking K-state.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

He’d also likely have 4 national titles if it wasn’t for the post season ban at Ohio state because of Treasell. 

This may br the biggest pro to hiring him. He got that team to 12-0 with a post season ban and coming off a 6-6 season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Or this idea that we'd get in trouble - we are in fucking trouble.  Real, active trouble right now.  Reputational risk in CFB is real.  "We're Texas"....lol not anymore.  "DBU".....please.

These things matter.  Oh, and BTW, tOSU is actually ranked fairly high in terms of it's academic performance.  Higher than every school in the Big12 not named Texas.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I don’t understand this line of thinking and I see it a lot. Why would Urban give a flying fuck about 9 other schools unless it involves a recruiting battle?  

WHy would anyone start thread about something that absolutely would never happen? It's all relative apparently.

Just now, Dr. Beeper said:

That’s because Ohio St. has a better athletic department and tradition of athletics than we do. They have a better historical and current football program. They have a much better hoops program. They do it right. We have a large contingent that are oblivious pontificators. 

Yep - anyone get a case of the vapors when they play Michigan?  Nebraska?  USC?  Perennial names in CFB.  The idea that this can't/won't happen to Texas is laughable.  Look at PSU and the turnaround they have experienced WITH A GOOD COACH.  They command astronomical amounts of money because they are fucking unicorns.  Same with CEO's.  There are only a handful of them that can manage the scope and depth of a massive CFB program into greatness week after week.  

15 hours ago, Kermit said:

So you don’t want to win.

this.  the bigger problem is Texas doesn't want to win.  we will roll the dice again. hoping to win.  hope for a Mack or even a Fred Akers to show up for 7-10 years.  This way we can win and still claim our University doesn't sell its soul for sports, when our academics rub elbows. This is Texas. Its also exactly what we will do with Smart/basketball.

Is there someone with Mack's UNC type record before we hired him out there?  unfortunately I don't see it.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

This will never happen and Sam will never get drafted. Pessimism, bitterness and apathy has ruined your minds. 

Motherfuckers over on the other thread talking about hiring Dabo Swinney and we've got people saying hiring Meyer is "unrealistic". 

confused jeff bridges GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Or this idea that we'd get in trouble - we are in fucking trouble.  Real, active trouble right now.  Reputational risk in CFB is real.  "We're Texas"....lol not anymore.  "DBU".....please.

These things matter.  Oh, and BTW, tOSU is actually ranked fairly high in terms of it's academic performance.  Higher than every school in the Big12 not named Texas.  

I believe the big 12 is the worst academic conference.  Georgia, Florida, and Vandy would be #2 at worst in the big 12. 

11 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I believe the big 12 is the worst academic conference.  Georgia, Florida, and Vandy would be #2 at worst in the big 12. 

B12 for sure edges out SEC, if only because the middle of the pack and bottom of the B12 is a lot stronger. 

TCU, Baylor, Kansas etc. are all better schools than Arky, MissSt, Ole Miss etc.

I mean say Texas and Vandy is a wash - TCU, Baylor, Kansas, OU is pretty much a wash with UGA, UF, aggy, Bama. 

After that you have K St, Tech, ISU, Okie Lite, WVU which is easily a better crop than Arky, Tennessee, LSU, Miss St, Ole Miss. Those schools are full of dumb professors lecturing dumber students.

Edited by ztejas

I'm down, financially and emotionally for a flanking Banner and cardboard cut outs. I'll commit $500 right fucking now. Though... Pretty sure the Urban or Dabo cut out images won't make the cut when it goes through UT admin approval.
I'll use all my Trump bucks pre-emptively...hell, dont even care if they pass the stimulus at this point, just want everyone in D.C. fired along with mensa

14 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

That mentality is incredibly stupid and it ought to change right now. 

I know but that is the mentality and it always will be.  We're Texas, we don't really give a shit about winning championships in football and basketball.

• Rage+1 1