Sam the only player to stay for the Eyes

GreenspointTexas

35 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Can we at least find humor in the fact a bunch of people are accusing a bunch of people for virtue signaling because they stopped participating in virtue signaling?

Obviously you and I agree on basically nothing, but isn’t that at least funny to you?

You're seriously confused.  This isn't "virtue signaling".  If anything, it's "solidarity signaling".  It's saying "I'm with you" regardless of whether you suck.

It's no different than gang signs, etc.  Or do you think Bloods and Crips are also "virtue signaling" when they wear their gang's colors?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnLocke said:

Here's the problem. For 100 years, the tradition of singing the song after the game with the team was just the fans telling the team we support you guys and the University of Texas, win, lose or draw. That's all it has ever meant.  The fact that the players don't want to sing it anymore doesn't mean that they don't care. It just means they have bought into the latest social justice fad proving they care about more than just football.  Unfortunately, as silly as it is, it's hard for fans not to take it exactly as the fans on this thread are taking it.  And more unfortunately, it will be hard to move forward without abandoning a cherished Texas tradition.

quid pro quo.  i raise you a post hoc, ergo propter hoc (i.e. a fallacy of false association).

126 years ago, the lyrics to a folk song were transcribed for the first time at Princeton.  10 years later, 2 leaders in our student government kept the music and changed the lyrics to taunt and mock the then-current leader of The University.  The song was unfortunately performed for the first time at a Minstrel Show.  And it may have been performed in blackface.  Over the following 116 years the song was sung out loud by millions of voices, none of whom ever believed they were singing a "racist" song "celebrating" "racial" anything.  Then 115 years later, Minneapolis cops killed George Floyd, and African Americans attending The University (with no outside influence?) were told, decided, or became 'woke' to their belief/opinion regarding the intent and meaning of the song, which said opinion is not shared by a massive (MASSIVE) percentage of former alumni who, regardless of race, creed, color, or class, have the intelligence to see the false association between intent of the song, and the location and setting of the first performance of the song.  And, understandably, this cohort is pissed off that a piece of their lives has been warrior-ed away from them at a time when stupidity is rampant in the program, and not just in and around this topic.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

We don’t have a HC who is a leader. I don’t like Herman but was proud of him for marching with the players. Proud he had their backs on an issue of grave grave importance to the country and the world. If any of the players had opted out this year bc they wanted to participate in this movement for equality and basic human rights—-I’d be with them 100% in their corner and cheering them on bc it’s that important. 

but not having team unity is important. I think if we had a competent coach we’d see more unity and pride and team togetherness. It’s a sad day indeed when any player, be it Sam or anyone is all alone in acknowledging this. Hopefully it will change when this (below) courtesy of @Lobo changes?

Texas is 5-5 against Baylor in the last ten seasons. 

Texas is 3-7 against Oklahoma State in the last ten seasons. 

Texas is now 3-9 against Oklahoma in the last ten seasons.  

Texas is now 2-7  against TCU in the last ten seasons. 

Texas is 4-4 against WVU in the last ten seasons. 

Texas is 4-6 against K-State in the last ten seasons.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Did anyone actually see the players all leave without acknowledging the fans at all? 

This would have to be someone who was physically at the game, by the way.

Because if you're saying that happened without knowing you're lying about the players of the UT football team to fuel your Internet rage. You're a terrible, divisive fan.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

but not having team unity is important. I think if we had a competent coach we’d see more unity and pride and team togetherness. It’s a sad day indeed when any player, be it Sam or anyone is all alone in acknowledging this.

Every. Single. Player. other than Sam protested The Eyes.

Do you know what the word "unity" means?

Did you go to UT?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

You're right. Sam was disloyal to the 99% of his teammates by staying for The Eyes instead of going with them.

3ewk9y.jpg

So Sam should be more like the rest of the players? That's what your arguing here? That's the hill you're going to die on? 

Man you must be a miserable, angry little person.

• Hook 'Em 1

Why did every other big program coach put this shit to bed in the summer? Laid the law down and said fuck that we're here to win not act like a bunch of bougie bitches. They should be sent back to the shit holes they came from asap and just start the fuck over. This isn't even respectable in defeat anymore
wow. "shitholes"

Just now, ztejas said:

So Sam should be more like the rest of the players? That's what your arguing here? That's the hill you're going to die on? 

Man you must be a miserable, angry little person.

I don't judge or care what the players do regarding The Eyes. Sing it. Stand there silently. Go into the locker room. Do the electric slide while listening to Metallica on your AirPods.

No one here is mad at Sam for singing The Eyes. I bet no one is even mad at him in the locker room for it.

How did you people get this stupid?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Born to Run said:
2 hours ago, Pepper said:
Why did every other big program coach put this shit to bed in the summer? Laid the law down and said fuck that we're here to win not act like a bunch of bougie bitches. They should be sent back to the shit holes they came from asap and just start the fuck over. This isn't even respectable in defeat anymore

wow. "shitholes"

SEC-worthy fanbase here.

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Did anyone actually see the players all leave without acknowledging the fans at all? 

Because if you're saying that happened without knowing you're lying about the players of the UT football team to fuel your Internet rage. You're a terrible, divisive fan.

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Did you go to UT?

you’re funny in a sad way. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

quid pro quo.  i raise you a post hoc, ergo propter hoc (i.e. a fallacy of false association).

126 years ago, the lyrics to a folk song were transcribed for the first time at Princeton.  10 years later, 2 leaders in our student government kept the music and changed the lyrics to taunt and mock the then-current leader of The University.  The song was unfortunately performed for the first time at a Minstrel Show.  And it may have been performed in blackface.  Over the following 116 years the song was sung out loud by millions of voices, none of whom ever believed they were singing a "racist" song "celebrating" "racial" anything.  Then 115 years later, Minneapolis cops killed George Floyd, and African Americans attending The University (with no outside influence?) were told, decided, or became 'woke' to their belief/opinion regarding the intent and meaning of the song, which said opinion is not shared by a massive (MASSIVE) percentage of former alumni who, regardless of race, creed, color, or class, have the intelligence to see the false association between intent of the song, and the location and setting of the first performance of the song.  And, understandably, this cohort is pissed off that a piece of their lives has been warrior-ed away from them at a time when stupidity is rampant in the program, and not just in and around this topic.

You're alright sometimes.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Did you go to UT?

Did you? Yep. Graduated from there and damn proud of it. Proud I got in. Proud I got my degree. 

since your reading comprehension skills are weak, the point I’ve made over and over and over and over is fine...I understand and acknowledge the protest over the Eyes. They don’t have to acknowledge or sing the damn song. The silly non racist song. They don’t have to. I accept this. Accept it! They have a right to their feelings. A right to feel how they feel.

I expect them do something to replace it after the game win or lose to carry on some kind of tradition. That’s my opinion and I don’t think that makes me a divisive asshole.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, ousuxndallas said:

Fuck, and I mean FUCK, every sumbitch on this team, except Sam.

Listen up you over hyped, pampered, black lives matter wannabe mother fuckers...

SING THE EYES OF TEXAS AND HOLD UP YOUR HORNS.

Otherwise, GTFO.

So if Sam is the only player to stay for the Eyes, yet has white linemen, white WRs, white TEs, white LBs, white punter, and white kicker as teammates, why are you only focusing on the black lives matter wannable mother fuckers? Oh wait, I know why. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Hagbard Celine said:

bolded = your opinion not shared by 90%+ of alumni

I will guarantee you that if you polled all UT students and alumni and asked, "Is the singing of 'The Eyes of Texas' important to you?" that the vast majority would answer some variation of "no, not really, only a little".

We have 50k students and are lucky to get 1/10th of that at the games, and most of those leave before The Eyes. And maybe a few hundred of them post on forums like this and a few dozen post tear-jerking stories about how grandpappy bounced them on his knee and taught him that Longhorns were Forged of a Hotter Fire or some shit.

I have always liked it. I have wonderful memories of singing The Eyes as a student and alumni after wins and losses. But that means NOTHING because the people who matter, the actual student-athletes out there right now, don't feel the same.

I'm not so pathetically insecure that I need to scream at a bunch of young men to validate my memories for me.

Grow up and move on. Let dead things die.

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

He’s a fucking troll.   Ignore

The guy who thinks we shouldn't publicly attack 99% of our players is the troll, yeah.

You nailed it.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I don't judge or care what the players do regarding The Eyes. Sing it. Stand there silently. Go into the locker room. Do the electric slide while listening to Metallica on your AirPods.

No one here is mad at Sam for singing The Eyes. I bet no one is even mad at him in the locker room for it.

How did you people get this stupid?

Lol. This isn't about being stupid or right or whatever you think it's about. This is about the fanbase being fed up with this shit and feeling disrespected and marginalized. 

You know, the fanbase. The people that pay for the program and make the players* degree worth what it is off the field. 

Clearly you aren't a fan, or if you are you're one of the worst kind and a pretty shitty one, so I really don't understand why you're still here talking to yourself, effectively. But I guess you're good at copy pasting in the cloak room and getting points for it so that's something to be proud of. Some of us don't come here to discuss hotbutton political issues, as crazy as that may sound. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

So, in 1979, the University of Pennsylvania went on an improbable run to make it to the Final Four in basketball. They beat the likes of the #1 seed in their bracket, North Carolina and Syracuse.

In the Final Four game, they ran into Michigan State. State had some guy named ... Earvin Magic Johnson.

Well, Penn's run was over at halftime with the score of 50 -17. But then. In the second half, as the Spartan fans were gloating, allegedly a cheer began to come from the UPenn student section. It grew in intensity and volume. So, what was being yelled out?

That's alright! That's ok! You're gonna work for us someday!

No retort to that gentlemen.

Rice fans were chanting that in the early 70s. At that same time, opposing fans were chanting “What comes out of a Chinaman’s ass? Rice, rice, rice!!!”

• Hook 'Em 1

Lol at anyone turning this in to a team  moral matter. The eyes has a controversial past and many African American players don’t appreciate that regardless of the outcome of this game. Maybe drink less.

Edited by Hank_Hill

31 minutes ago, Stannis said:

This website is ideologically left of center, so many won't admit or acknowledge this, but legions of fans do not want political causes mixed in with their sports and are sick of being preached to 24/7.

The players walked silently off the field. No one is preaching to you about shit, crybaby.

2 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Rice fans were chanting that in the early 70s. At that same time, opposing fans were chanting “What comes out of a Chinaman’s ass? Rice, rice, rice!!!”

"Why does Texas play OU" might be the next we choose to go to the moon because it's hard analogy. 

They would be if they didn't run fast and weren't big as beasts. Community college or roaming the streets whining to cops when they get busted for something

They should be sent back to the shit holes they came from asap and just start the fuck over. This isn't even respectable in defeat anymore

All these dudes on the team with no real father figures look to him for cues and this is the shit they see and copy. He's the worst leader for a football team

Fuck you

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

Yes. I saw it from Section 127 Row 12, Seat 9
2ad6cb9b7f17c49a99d9adaf69b4114a.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I don’t even see the racist aspect to the song, because it to the same beat as I’ve been working on the railroad even though the words are not and some dumbass group performed it in blackface once in 1903?  I get that’s way wrong but by no means defines the song.

4 minutes ago, Ultimate Failure said:

It does for some, and not others.  "People of color" are entitled to their own opinions, independent of skin color.

Agreed. And all of them (and obviously white players as well)  chose to head to the locker room, and thats fair. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

32 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I was there. 50 yard line up high in Sec 128. It was just like it looked in the picture.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Well, despite the reality that your post is absolutely incorrect based on facts, actual, known facts, not fairytales made up by SJWs you did get one thing correct.

It is not a team morale (I am guessing that is what you intended not moral) issue. It isn't a team morale or even a moral one because there is no fucking team. Texas isn't fielding one, and the individual pissheads that put on the Texas uniforms not only aren't a team, they are a bunch of entitled, bitch made, punk ass bitches who don't even consider themselves Longhorns. Which explains why they don't feel a need to associate with the fans that support this bitch made, punk ass collection of weak willed echo chamber SJW pussies.

Fuck them, fuck them all 

With a singular exception, Sam.

And anyone who agrees with them, are also bitch made, punk ass, SJW echo chamber pussies. 

Suck it. 

This post screams level headed. But yes I did mean morale. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1