Sam the only player to stay for the Eyes

GreenspointTexas

22 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

In no way does any of this involve you or anyone else here.

Nice gatekeeping. It doesn't involve us? I'm one of the younger posters here and I've been going to Texas games since before anyone on our team was born. I grew up in Austin, I've lived in Texas my entire life, basically my entire family has a degree from UT, so please, have one of the players come tell me how it doesn't involve me or any of the other lifelong fans, donors and supporters.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I don’t care about The Eyes. I’m not really privy to what is said in the locker room about it. What I care about is the team abandoned their leader using Herman as cover. If you don’t want to stand there for SAM, get the fuck out. I’m sure Herman condones this. Another reason I want him gone now. 

It’s not about the song. It’s about a lack of unity. 

^ Totally not Rex Kramer

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

So we see Sam is the only one on the field...why is the blame on every other player for creating a "fractured" locker room? I say this completely theoretically, but why wouldn't we blame Sam for fracturing the team when he's the only defector?

For what it's worth, I think this team's lack of effort is because they've completely lost faith in Herman and his coaching staff. Correlation with the Eyes != causation.

Because the standard was stay on the field before they were told they don’t have too. 

Whoever said it’s our only issue? It’s a big issue as well to either all stay or all go. The song is t racist or even close to it so it’s fucking dumb to begin with. Most schools stay for the school song at every school. 

15 minutes ago, stork642 said:

I believe you’re an idiot.  Well, I guess that’s all that matters.  I believe it so you are.  

Um... I was agreeing with you. I was saying that's how the players see it. The song was created to mock a UT president around the turn of the last century with a reputation for heavy handedness toward the student body. It's not racist.  

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Because the standard was stay on the field before they were told they don’t have too. 

Whoever said it’s our only issue? It’s a big issue as well to either all stay or all go. The song is t racist or even close to it so it’s fucking dumb to begin with. Most schools stay for the school song at every school. 

I don't think historical precedence is really relevant when players were required to be on the field for the Eyes lol. I maintain that people's opinion on the Eyes is clouding their judgement.

Also, I never said the Eyes was racist, so I'm not sure you know what argument you're making here.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Nice gatekeeping. It doesn't involve us? I'm one of the younger posters here and I've been going to Texas games since before anyone on our team was born. I grew up in Austin, I've lived in Texas my entire life, basically my entire family has a degree from UT, so please, have one of the players come tell me how it doesn't involve me or any of the other lifelong fans, donors and supporters.

Your larding this pointless tradition with deep personal meaning is your choice and your problem, no one else's.

• Hook 'Em 2

I graduated in 2001 and the real issues that got changed were great but this one I have always been vocal was dumb and “is it that big of a deal” isn’t the point. The point is when you cave on every issue then the mob knows they could do whatever they want with no repercussions. Pretty soon kids will start walking off the field for being talked harshly by a coach. 

either way they need to either all stay or all go and if they all decided to go I’m fine with it just do it ALL together. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

I don't think historical precedence is really relevant when players were required to be on the field for the Eyes lol. I maintain that people's opinion on the Eyes is clouding their judgement.

Also, I never said the Eyes was racist, so I'm not sure you know what argument you're making here.

Yea I’m sure you only see your side and think all of us are clouded in judgment. That’s not shocking. How old are you? Are you a current student? 

1 hour ago, EZ$ said:

Bunch of pussies with no heart. Sam is the only one that cares, but he’s no VY to carry the whole team.

If he had Kacey Studdard, Jonathan Scott, , Will Allen, Justin Blalock, and a fucking defense, Sam would be fine.  

• Like 1

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yea I’m sure you only see your side and think all of us are clouded in judgment. That’s not shocking. How old are you? Are you a current student? 

Nope, got both of my degrees from Texas and very proud to have done so. Thanks for asking.

Once again, your reply shows that you don't actually comprehend the argument I'm presenting.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, BrngBkLilRed said:

I'm a Sooner since I was eight, I'm thrilled we pulled our head out and won the game but Sam standing out there by himself is just sad on many levels

This is exactly right. I'm not talking about today's game, I'm talking about the broader picture going forward. Those of you saying it's no big deal, it's a huge freakin' deal. It's a breach between the players and the fan base. If there's another school in the country where the players sulk off the field without acknowledging the people who paid to see them play and who cheered for them, then tell me that school. I think what's happening here is unique. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

This site will look for anything to bitch about. So yes, we're fucking aggy now. We're living on past glory, we're angry that the players won't uncover, and we try to laugh at the failures of others to mask our own massive deficiencies. 

Without fans there would be no UT football. It’s not about a damn song it’s about acknowledging the fans win or lose. I stand in solidarity with the players win or lose. They don’t owe me a thing. They are human beings and I support their movement for BLM and equality. But to not stop for one brief moment as a unit and acknowledge the fans is bullshit. It just is. That’s not political. The band can play the Eyes after the players have left the field. That’s fine. We fans can all sing together since we are the ones suffering through the shit product that’s been on the field the last decade. Seeing Sam out there all alone Sucks. Leaving him out there alone had ZERO to do with SJ. It’s about having pride in being a longhorn and in being part of a team. That fights together win or lose. And those guys I see out there don’t seem to be together. That’s troubling. I support their movement for SJ and equality. 100%. But not acknowledging the fans shows a lack of respect whether they mean to or not. It’s disrespectful imo. And that’s not political. That’s how I feel. If they aren’t proud to be a longhorn and proud of their school fine. Go play somewhere else. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

Without fans there would be no UT football. It’s not about a damn song it’s about acknowledging the fans win or lose. I stand in solidarity with the players win or lose. They don’t owe me a thing. They are human beings and I support their movement for BLM and equality. But to not stop for one brief moment as a unit and acknowledge the fans is bullshit. It just is. That’s not political. The band can play the Eyes after the players have left the field. That’s fine. We fans can all sing together since we are the ones suffering through the shit product that’s been on the field the last decade. Seeing Sam out there all alone Sucks. Leaving him out there alone had ZERO to do with SJ. It’s about having pride in being a longhorn and in being part of a team. That fights together win or lose. And those guys I see out there don’t seem to be together. That’s troubling. I support their movement for SJ and equality. 100%. But not acknowledging the fans shows a lack of respect whether they mean to or not. It’s disrespectful imo. And that’s not political. That’s how I feel. If they aren’t proud to be a longhorn and proud of their school fine. Go play somewhere else. 

They don't love it as much as you do and never will. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

If he had Kacey Studdard, Jonathan Scott, , Will Allen, Justin Blalock, and a fucking defense, Sam would be fine.  

that is also true ^

The thing that stands out to me when playing OU today as how fluid and open their guys are versus our offense. We needed Sam to be superman because our systems is just archaic up against what I saw from TCU and now OU

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Nope, got both of my degrees from Texas and very proud to have done so. Thanks for asking.

Once again, your reply shows that you don't actually comprehend the argument I'm presenting.

Yea I don’t agree. Texas has always stayed and the players were given the option to stay or not and some decided to leave the field because they the song is racist. It’s not and even you agreed it’s not so the administration caved to their demands. This demand was dumb. Every school stays for the schools song from high school to college.

Sam stayed because it’s his choice. I said the team is fractured because of the admin decision to cave to the mob and of course you say I’m saying they are fractured because of the kids that leave. Classic response.

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Your larding this pointless tradition with deep personal meaning is your choice and your problem, no one else's.

Don't worry, champ. I'm not listening to someone with their head so far up their own ass that they think The Eyes of Texas is a "pointless tradition".  You should go tweet out to Vince, Ricky and Michael Huff how pointless of a tradition it is and report back after they agree with you (because I'm sure they will). No one is making you or the players sing it anyway. You can go back to the CR and let the actual fans discuss it. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

That’s fair. Just acknowledge the fans in some way. Then we can play the Eyes after they’ve left the field. 

Was this offered to the players and they refused?

Or are you making an excuse to be mad at them by creating an entirely imaginary scenario?

• Hook 'Em 1

Is Saban a SJW too? He led protests and stands with his kids. This is about Herman being a shitty coach with not enough attention to mutherfuckin' gottdammned simple fundamentals of football DETAILS. Enough with the BS. Sam is hurt btw. He cannot do it by himself either.  HookEm' Bitches

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Don't worry, champ. I'm not listening to someone with their head so far up their own ass that they think The Eyes of Texas is a "pointless tradition".  You should go tweet out to Vince, Ricky and Michael Huff how pointless of a tradition it is and report back after they agree with you (because I'm sure they will). No one is making you or the players sing it anyway. You can go back to the CR and let the actual fans discuss it. 

Why are you sure of that?

19 minutes ago, JohnLocke said:

Here's the problem. For 100 years, the tradition of singing the song after the game with the team was just the fans telling the team we support you guys and the University of Texas, win, lose or draw. That's all it has ever meant.  The fact that the players don't want to sing it anymore doesn't mean that they don't care. It just means they have bought into the latest social justice fad proving they care about more than just football.  Unfortunately, as silly as it is, it's hard for fans not to take it exactly as the fans on this thread are taking it.  And more unfortunately, it will be hard to move forward without abandoning a cherished Texas tradition.

You speak as if we operate in a vacuum. It is standard procedure for college football players to go over to the fans after the game - especially at road games - and express solidarity. Fans support the players, players support the fans. It's not a Texas thing or even a football thing. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Don't worry, champ. I'm not listening to someone with their head so far up their own ass that they think The Eyes of Texas is a "pointless tradition". 

Did you notice that 99% of Longhorn football players went into the locker room during "The Eyes"?

It's over, man. It's over. Let dead things die.

32 minutes ago, Bruno Sardine said:

Um... I was agreeing with you. I was saying that's how the players see it. The song was created to mock a UT president around the turn of the last century with a reputation for heavy handedness toward the student body. It's not racist.  

It doesn't really matter to me that one can find an argument that the song is not racist. It's never had anything to do with race in my mind. I love singing it.

I like a unity of Longhorns more than I care about singing the song. Enough Longhorns feel negatively about it that I think we should do what these fellow students and alums want. If we retire it but some time goes by and people want to revisit it, that's fine to me.

Those objecting to the song aren't just looking for something to bitch about. I want that faction of students and alums to be as much a part of all of this as I am. 

This thread reads like the Aggies and Sul Ross in some places. If the song is like a statue to Lee or Jeff Davis to some people, we should let it go. It's really not a big request.

Again, this thread often feels like the CR with some looking for a new safe space. Again, that's sorta texaggy.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Dr. Beeper said:

It has to do with a lack of team unity, a coaching staff that condones it, and a big fuck you to the fans in the stands in this environment.

You're right. Sam was disloyal to the 99% of his teammates by staying for The Eyes instead of going with them.

3ewk9y.jpg

• Fuck You 4

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Was this offered to the players and they refused?

Or are you making an excuse to be mad at them by creating an entirely imaginary scenario?

Not sure what you mean. Just disappointed. I’m mad at Herman and that’s not ever gonna change. Win or lose I support the team. After the Miners game the Eyes was played while players shook hands after the game. I believe the players were told they didn’t have to stay for the Eyes and understood that. But they should as a group do something to acknowledge the fans after a game. Win or lose. It doesn’t have to be the Eyes. Which I have said repeatedly. Moo. It’s not political imo to have them group up as a unit and flash the horns or something. Like Boomer Sooner isn’t a dumb song also. But their players sing it. Iowa State players sing Sweet Carolina along with their fans. I would expect something. Almost every team does something. We after 4 games don’t do anything. I’m emotional. I admit it. This week marked 15 years of my dads passing and it hurts every year to not be able to talk football with him. It stinks like a son of a bitch. I acknowledge anyone’s right to feel however they want to feel. If the song makes them uncomfortable it makes them uncomfortable. I don’t understand it but I acknowledge it. 

Y’all are mad that players didn’t stay on the field to hear the eyes played over the PA system after the winning team’s song was played. After a 4 overtime game. Sam was probably only still out there because he did a post game interview. No one else on the Texas side was being asked for their thoughts since they didn’t do shit.

We lost to a shitty ou team with a 3rd string RB (again) and mediocre offense and defense. Be mad at what’s important,  losing.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

They all might be tires of his rah rah bullshit too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, we’re tired of their shitty ass inability to play the game of football, which is the only reason any of those pussy ass motherfuckers ever set foot in Austin to begin with
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

What a giant load of shit.  He was one of the few players that gave a damn.  He single handily kept the team in the game and gave every ounce of what he had.  All those fucking players that bailed on him.  He would die for each and every one of them on the field....And they abandoned him.  You don’t like the eyes.  Fine.  But fuck you for abandoning your team leader out there like that.  The season just died out there on the field....after the game was played.  

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Did you notice that 99% of Longhorn football players went into the locker room during "The Eyes"?

It's over, man. It's over. Let dead things die.

I always felt bad about ever leaving a game early. The Eyes for me was to let the team know that win or lose I had their back. 100% both as players and human beings. I guess now it’s totally acceptable to leave early to beat the traffic once it becomes clear that a loss is in the works? 

• Hook 'Em 2