The Robert Mueller Investigation

Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, lemonlime said:

So in other words, this is indeed a good day for trump.  They'll declare victory no matter what.  And the dems will not react to this inanity, further disheartening their base.  

they'll declare victory regardless.  most of them won't watch, and won't need to, because victory will be declared.

dems reacting won't do much.  in fact, i think the opposite of what you said is true.  the message is that nothing matters except the ballot box.  if what you saw today disgusted you, then show up and vote.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

not that long ago, i remember watching hearings and needing to refer to the "d" or the "r" by the rep asking questions.

now it takes about 6-7 words out of their mouth to determine.

and, uh, age and, uh, skin/hair color are also big indicators

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

they'll declare victory regardless.  most of them won't watch, and won't need to, because victory will be declared.

dems reacting won't do much.  in fact, i think the opposite of what you said is true.  the message is that nothing matters except the ballot box.  if what you saw today disgusted you, then show up and vote.

Oh, I will.  Although I'm not sure how reliable the ballot box is going to be in 2020 with these fucksticks in charge.  But the dems are sending a message that even the ballot box doesn't matter.  Vote for us, and we'll hold hearings, send out subpoenas we won't enforce, and do nothing about the president's criminality. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Oh, I will.  Although I'm not sure how reliable the ballot box is going to be in 2020 with these fucksticks in charge.  But the dems are sending a message that even the ballot box doesn't matter.  Vote for us, and we'll hold hearings, send out subpoenas we won't enforce, and do nothing about the president's criminality. 

or vote for us and we won't have the need for any of this bullshit.

what should the dems be doing?

it'll take a perfect thread of the needle in the electoral math for trump to get re-elected, which is why i've been saying for months that pelosi is running out the clock because her team has the lead.

18 minutes ago, Chooky said:

You're viewing this through the prism of a world where stuff matters. Stuff doesn't matter anymore. 

You're absolutely right. "Stuff" hasn't mattered for quite a few decades. This whole thing reminds me of a Doonesbury cartoon from the 70's. The particular one I'm thinking of Uncle Duke was before the Senate to be confirmed as Special Envoy to China. They're going over his list of questionable behaviors in the past and then all agree that nobody gives a shit, they have a good laugh and off he goes to drop acid on the Great Wall. Yeah, it's a fictional story but the sentiment has long been there. New boss, old boss, whatever.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Turner going on and on about Mueller's use of the phrase "does not exonerate" being improper since no one can exonerate is pretty interesting since Donald Trump said the Mueller Report was "complete and total exoneration."

The only reason Mueller says “does not exonerate” is because Mueller believes he’s prevented from saying “the President committed crimes”. 

Just now, Pig Bellmont said:

The only reason Mueller says “does not exonerate” is because Mueller believes he’s prevented from saying “the President committed crimes”. 

i've come around to this way of thinking. he included that for a very specific express purpose, and it's telling that the republicans are focusing on that phrase. it's a honey trap, and they've walked right into it. 

matter of fact, i think that their strategy of focusing on that trying to say it's outside the remit of the investigation or prosecutorial conduct is a massive losing one. 

also, i think democrats need to let republicans ask questions about what other reps have said. it's beyond obvious "he's not going to get into that."

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

hmmm. i would argue ESPECIALLY the ones raised by trumpkins, but again, that's just my opinion.

Well, my Trumpkin sister and brother-in-law have four kids ready to join the fight, two of whom are already old enough to vote, so I don't share your optimism. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Well, my Trumpkin sister and brother-in-law have four kids ready to join the fight, two of whom are already old enough to vote, so I don't share your optimism. 

fair enough. trump spoke to a conference of enthusiastic supportive young people the other day.

i just don't think that it will be a 1:1 replacement rate across the landscape of the country. in fact, i think the republicans are fucking their own face by not trying to court more young people. 

but, your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

i mean, the democrats aren't much better

They're bad in different ways. They're not generally malignant. They're weak. They're timid. But they're not wicked on behalf of the wicked in the way the GOPs are now.

The remarkable thing is that they have such support from people whose interests are not served by the GOP.

That ice berg was great for the Titanic! Hit another only harder this time! We're unsinkable! USA!USA!USA!

As with the Dem capitulation on the Iraq invasion because they would lose the vote and popularity, this is a moment that Dems need to look into their souls (or what's left of them) and decide it's worth political fallout today to stand against something that you believe is wrong and destructive to the US.

Be the one who can say, I voted to expel this disease from the US, but the other side prevented it happening. I lost my seat in Congress, but I sleep at night. I did what I thought was best for the US.

Who knows, you might win if you actually fight. You have no chance if you never stand up.

Edited by RomaVicta

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If history is any indication, there is an incredibly high possibility that the next president will be a Democrat. Sadly, history also indicates that it probably won't be until 2025.

cnn reference #2, DRINK.

this idea that cnn got some hot tip to be there at a search warrant on a known target of investigation, roger stone, who is a known crazy newsworthy person anyway makes me laugh.

and what if they did? does that change why the warrant was executed?

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

cnn reference #2, DRINK.

this idea that cnn got some hot tip to be there at a search warrant on a known target of investigation, roger stone, who is a known crazy newsworthy person anyway makes me laugh.

and what if they did? does that change why the warrant was executed?

I was in Rayburn this morning for a different hearing. There are literally 30 cameras in the Rayburn horseshoe lobby.  Somehow the media knew that something important was happening today and got a media crew there.  How in the world? It's almost like they just leave cameras near places where possible news could occur on the off chance it occurs?  Fucking weird.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 1

Just now, longhornmatt said:

So, I haven’t been able to watch or keep up with this today except to view headlines, but the media consensus seems to be ... well, they don’t really have an opinion on any of the substance, but they all, right and left, note that Mueller looks and sounds old instead of like Tom Cruise in A Few Good Men.  So, therefore it’s a big win for Trump and impeachment is off the table.

Is he really that bad, or are we (and our media) just being typically superficial and continuing the slide into a world where nothing matters?

well, he's an old guy who is actively trying to be as uninteresting as possible.

So, I haven’t been able to watch or keep up with this today except to view headlines, but the media consensus seems to be ... well, they don’t really have an opinion on any of the substance, but they all, right and left, note that Mueller looks and sounds old instead of like Tom Cruise in A Few Good Men.  So, therefore it’s a big win for Trump and impeachment is off the table.

Is he really that bad, or are we (and our media) just being typically superficial and continuing the slide into a world where nothing matters?

Impeachment will never be off the table.

The "Or"

He is old. But he is answering quickly and sharply when the questions are succinct

5 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

well, he's an old guy who is actively trying to be as uninteresting as possible.

He was dragged there against his will, but did his duty.  I don't know why people thought he'd go full Harrison Ford in Clear and Present Danger.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 1