The Robert Mueller Investigation

Hugo Stiglitz

3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

How the fuck is it "clear" when it's been redacted?

The original mandate is clear, the classified memo that Rosenstein also gave Mueller is only clear on the declassified portions covering Manafort and Ukraine. The rest of it is redacted, but it's safe to say the memo is broad (an entire page remains redacted) and gives Mueller specific authorization to go where he needs to go. 

I can't find a version I can link to directly, but CNN has a viewable version of the memo. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/03/politics/read-rosenstein-aug-2-memo/index.html

Edited by Pods

36 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Really thinking Ryan is bailing not because he's going to lose the Speakership come January, but because he sees plenty we aren't, and wants to GTFO of Dodge before it goes down.  Dude's only 48 and he's trying to preserve his political future.

Yep, and probably the same for many of the other rats jumping ship.

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I just had a nothing burger.

Triple beef with cheddar cheese.  Bacon and a fucking egg on top too.  I don't really have anything else to add, other than I'm obviously stuffed. 

Can you write yourself a lipitor scrip?

10 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I just had a nothing burger.

Triple beef with cheddar cheese.  Bacon and a fucking egg on top too.  I don't really have anything else to add, other than I'm obviously stuffed. 

I assume you have several capable cardiologists in your fiefdom?

Edited by jimmyjazz
Well, snap.

I know the right people.  I think I'd be a VIP at the cath lab if needed, so Trump and I have that going for ourselves.  Only difference is I believe in exercise, don't get my burgers at McDonald's and am not quite the narcissist he is (hard to top me)...

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I know the right people.  I think I'd be a VIP at the cath lab if needed, so Trump and I have that going for ourselves.  Only difference is I believe in exercise, don't get my burgers at McDonald's and am not quite the narcissist he is (hard to top me)...

You’re a surgeon, right? I’d be worried if you weren’t a narcissist.

53 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

This.  It also is odd that if he really just wanted to retire, he didn't make sure there was a better GOP candidate in his district than the neo-Nazi running.  If this was truly about spending time with his kids, he would have gotten out earlier and worked on the succession in his district.  Something has him spooked.

Yeah. If this was planned, a month or two ago he could have lined up somebody who wasn’t a neo-Nazi. 

Turning your district over to the wannabe Nazi or the Iron Stache is going to be remembered by a lot of people.  

But it does provide him a chance to be pseudo-Presidential, if he supports the Democrat over the neo-Nazi. That would help him out with moderates. 

7 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Proctologist.  It's how he can so easily spot all the assholes around here.

When you're wandering in a forest of assholes, you tend to get good at identifying them or you keep running into them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah. If this was planned, a month or two ago he could have lined up somebody who wasn’t a neo-Nazi. 

Turning your district over to the wannabe Nazi or the Iron Stache is going to be remembered by a lot of people.  

But it does provide him a chance to be pseudo-Presidential, if he supports the Democrat over the neo-Nazi. That would help him out with moderates. 

They still have time--the Wisconsin filing deadline isn't until June 1.

18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

But it does provide him a chance to be pseudo-Presidential, if he supports the Democrat over the neo-Nazi. That would help him out with moderates

that man's nuts are is a jar in moscow.  that's what he needs to worry about.

31 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

You’re a surgeon, right? I’d be worried if you weren’t a narcissist.

All ortho rehab / interventional pain / stroke & spinal cord rehab...in real life I'm not a narcissist.  It's how I've managed to run a successful business.  But on Shaggy Surly, I'm full on asshole narcissist, all the time.  

And I've tried to rep the good replies, especially the proctology bit - well done. 

23 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

They still have time--the Wisconsin filing deadline isn't until June 1.

6 week’s to find somebody who has name recognition, who is willing to jump in the primary ring with a neo-Nazi, go through a general election in November,, and then up and move to Washington if he or she wins. 

Thats not very long. 

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Seriously, what happened to all the trolls?  Only a couple of them made the jump it seems.

It's like a birthday party with no pinata.  I kind of miss them. 

BTW can we multiquote here?  If so please teach this dumbass how.  TIA

1 hour ago, lemonlime said:

This.  It also is odd that if he really just wanted to retire, he didn't make sure there was a better GOP candidate in his district than the neo-Nazi running.  If this was truly about spending time with his kids, he would have gotten out earlier and worked on the succession in his district.  Something has him spooked.

yes, this seems pretty sudden.  i wonder if he doesn't have some idea how often his name appears in cohen's junk.

no, not that junk.

11 minutes ago, retread said:

I would guess they found evidence of a payoff between the campaign and a 3rd party for the release of stolen email. They had to already find something extremely incriminating to get the authorization to Raid Coen's office and he seems to be the money guy. You're getting in the territory of not only breaking campaign finance laws but also paying for stolen email.

15 minutes ago, retread said:

It’s really starting to come together now.  

Cohen’s August/September connections to the hackers alleged in the Dossier and the potential of fixer Cohen reaching out to his Wikileaks/hackers once the the Access Hollywood tape hit the media.  

Yikes!

No wonder Trump is freaked the fuck out.

Grassley is going to let the bill to protect Mueller proceed.

Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) wants to add the bill to the panel's business meeting agenda scheduled for Thursday, a spokesman for the senator confirmed to The Hill.

"In order to do that, the Minority would need to assent. Committee rules require such assent within 72 hours of a markup. Grassley has sought that assent, and is waiting to hear back," said spokesman George Hartmann.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't think the average person is going to be inclined to read the mandate with the bright light of "is it true his mandate is limited"?  I err on the side that says the language is clear, but I've certainly seen enough lawyer types say it's more subtle than that.  I don't really get how that could be, given the fact that the entire practice of law seems to be heavily wrapped up in the meaning of words, sentences, and phrases, but I have definitely run into plenty of circumstances where historical context colors interpretation.  

Perhaps we could cut a well-intentioned poster some slack for not having been through the argument before.  Or maybe we should feed him his nuts and laugh.  <trump> Vote? </trump>

The  Constitution is words, but we have 200 plus years of other words, literally hundreds of thousands of them, telling us what the Constitution words mean. 

Patent claims are just words, to be given their ordinary meaning, yet every patent infringement case has an entire proceeding to determine what the claims mean.