The Robert Mueller Investigation

Hugo Stiglitz

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’d argue Putin cares more about our midterms than Trump.

and by care I mean that he gets to put a Kremlin stain on it. Not necessarily taking a side.  Trump will probably help him in that endeavor.

Yeah.  I think you're right.  Hell, Putin probably wants the GOP to win in the midterms anyway.  He doesn't want Chair of the House Intelligence Committee Schiff with subpoena power over Putin's puppet's finances.  But I do think the government shutdown threats are related to Putin, and the government will shut down unless others intervene.  Controlling all of government and then shutting it down would just add to the chaos in the US.

3 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

All he is going to be doing between now and election day is campaigning for the midterms. 

He’s campaigning for himself, not the midterms.

Can you name the Congressman off hand he was campaigning for last night at that rally?  Most people can’t.

He loves his rallies.  That’s the only reason he’s on the campaign trail.

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

He’s campaigning for himself, not the midterms.

Can you name the Congressman off hand he was campaigning for last night at that rally?  Most people can’t.

He loves his rallies.  That’s the only reason he’s on the campaign trail.

Defending a nonsense position.  You literally watch him at a campaign rally for some congressman and say he isn’t campaigning for that congressman.  

NYT just last week saying he claiming he’s going to be campaigning for vulnerable congressman 6 or 7 days a week. 

8 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Defending a nonsense position.  You literally watch him at a campaign rally for some congressman and say he isn’t campaigning for that congressman.  

NYT just last week saying he claiming he’s going to be campaigning for vulnerable congressman 6 or 7 days a week. 

He also claimed he wouldn't take vacations or golf.  The fact is that the only campaigning Trump is going to be doing is at Trump 2020 gatherings.  It will tangentially be connected to a vulnerable congressman/senator - but it will definitely be a Trump 2020 event.

18 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Have you ever seen a President campaign for a congressman for a midterm election before?

Because it looks nothing like the hour long diatribe of self ejaculatory nonsense Trump spewed last night.

Additionally, are the congressmen he’s campaigning for traditional principled republicans or are they Trump cult lackeys?

The point is it’s all about HIM in that moment of the rally.  He couldn’t give a fuck if Ron Desantis loses his seat. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

11 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The point is it’s all about HIM in that moment of the rally.  He couldn’t give a fuck if Ron Desantis loses his seat. 

He only cares about himself, and that means he needs DeSantis, or enough others like him, to win.  He and his followers can prattle on about him being more popular than Obama or that polls are all wrong.  If the Republicans get slaughtered at the polls in November, it will clearly send a message about his presidency.  He will whine about rigged elections, to varying levels of success.  Additionally, a Dem controlled House will be a parade of investigations in to him and his administration.  Not just about Russia.  They will put an investigation into the family separation on the evening news for weeks, as it should be. 

Those investigations will have a Benghazi and Email type effect, too, and taint his credibility even if nothing comes of them (although I think a lot will be uncovered). They'll use the GOP playbook of never ending investigations and show trials.

5 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

Those investigations will have a Benghazi and Email type effect, too, and taint his credibility even if nothing comes of them (although I think a lot will be uncovered). They'll use the GOP playbook of never ending investigations and show trials.

And it means that nothing gets through Congress during the last two years of the administration.  And while that will fire up some of the MAGA-hat wearers, it will demoralize others.  

I think that last part will do more to energize them than demoralize them. It's not like anything they wanted is getting through Congress now. Where's the wall? Trump is threatening to shut down the government because Congress won't pass anything he wants. If the House flips to the Democrats then he can tell all the idiots to vote Republican and it will work because, well, they're idiots.

14 minutes ago, Tuco said:

He only cares about himself, and that means he needs DeSantis, or enough others like him, to win.  He and his followers can prattle on about him being more popular than Obama or that polls are all wrong.  If the Republicans get slaughtered at the polls in November, it will clearly send a message about his presidency.  He will whine about rigged elections, to varying levels of success.  Additionally, a Dem controlled House will be a parade of investigations in to him and his administration.  Not just about Russia.  They will put an investigation into the family separation on the evening news for weeks, as it should be. 

All of this makes good logical political sense in normal times. But these are not normal times.

Trump wants to keep his brainwashed base of supporters.  He is using the Congressional races to do that through these rallies.

A blue wave and any subsequent investigations are not threatening to him personally as long as he maintains loyalty over his base.  

He has already successfully spun outright treason as a politically motivated witch hunt with his followers.  

“I alone can fix it.”  

These are his words.  He sees no value or consequences for himself from the legislative branch because he can spin his way out of any jam.  He’s proven it time and time again.

5 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Lulz.   He needs more people to support him in Congress. He’s actively working towards that end. It’s that simple.  

This week Trump has picked a fight with Koch, does parody of tax cuts for the rich, threatens a shutdown. Next thing he'll be snatching kids from parents and defending betrayal of country. 

Now tell me again how he’s trying to get more republicans elected.

6 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Lulz.   He needs more people to support him in Congress. He’s actively working towards that end. It’s that simple.  

Maybe yes, maybe no.  Your post presumes that he has a legislative agenda.  He kinda does, but it's subordinate to the only agenda: "glorify me!"

He doesn't need to actually accomplish anything.  He just needs to have devoted cultists worshiping him, pledging their lives to him.  It's all about the cult of personality, and he needs the spice to flow -- and the spice is "TRUMP! TRUMP!  BUILD THE WALL!  LOCK HER UP!"  That's it.  As for legislative, foreign policy, and any other type of "victory," he's already proven that he'll say something, declare victory, and that's good enough.

All of this makes good logical political sense in normal times. But these are not normal times.

Trump wants to keep his brainwashed base of supporters.  He is using the Congressional races to do that through these rallies.

A blue wave and any subsequent investigations are not threatening to him personally as long as he maintains loyalty over his base.  

More fundamentally, Trump is unable to have an intelligent conversation about anything of public interest.  His dial is set to 'broadcast' only.  One way flow is his only defense, hence megaphone podium rallies, blast tweets, roundtable toasts to self,  or golf.  This traces back to the campaign days with his "Fake News" shtick.  It's all about avoiding rational discussion.  It's pure demagoguery.  He's hopping on the midterm congressional campaign circuit because it's someplace to be.  He's less than useless collaborating on public matters that require some complexity of thought and consideration.  It exposes him, so he avoids it.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Maybe yes, maybe no.  Your post presumes that he has a legislative agenda.  He kinda does, but it's subordinate to the only agenda: "glorify me!"

He doesn't need to actually accomplish anything.  He just needs to have devoted cultists worshiping him, pledging their lives to him.  It's all about the cult of personality, and he needs the spice to flow -- and the spice is "TRUMP! TRUMP!  BUILD THE WALL!  LOCK HER UP!"  That's it.  As for legislative, foreign policy, and any other type of "victory," he's already proven that he'll say something, declare victory, and that's good enough.

Part of ME! ME! is that this midterm election serves as a sort of referendum on Trump.  Say he’s the most popular R president and all that.   He gets to say that the haters failed.  And with enough Republicans gets to build a wall which is basically a monument to his vanity.  He wants all that. 

Guest Muppet

Trump doesn't want a wall built. He doesn't want Hillary to go to jail. He wants to keep being able to rile up his band of idiots with those things, and if they actually happen he can't do that anymore. 

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

He doesn’t give a shit about the wall either and he is on transcript with the president of Mexico admitting he doesn’t care about the wall.

Your desire to say  he’s not going to campaign for congressman as he’s campaigning for congressman and that he doesn’t want to wall as he’s threatening to shut down the government over the lack of wall is truly astounding.  I feel like I’m in some Foxnews mirror.  

Edited by SuingToGetAMessageBoard?

Welp, there it is. He is asking Sessions to end it. Hope Mueller has his ducks in a row (I'm sure he does).
And when did it become 17?

Mueller is so fucking far behind the eight ball, the pool table hasn’t even been built yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Your desire to say  he’s not going to campaign for congressman as he’s campaigning for congressman and that he doesn’t want to wall as he’s threatening to shut down the government over the lack of wall is truly astounding.  I feel like I’m in some Foxnews mirror.  

You know Congress gave him the Wall already right?  Schumer agreed to a bill that fully funded the Wall and it had the votes to pass the Senate.

It wasn’t good enough for Trump though so it didn’t make it out of the House.

These facts, are you aware? 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

You know Congress gave him the Wall already right?  Schumer agreed to a bill that fully funded the Wall and it passed the Senate.

It wasn’t good enough for Trump though so it didn’t make it out of the House.

These facts, are you aware? 

I don’t feel like debating anyone whether 2+2 is 4 any longer, and I especially don’t feel like doing it as some Socratic method nonsense.

You can find your half dozen data points that support trump doesn’t want a wall.  I’ll find half a million.  This is regarded.  

siap yesterday: 

Mueller refers cases of 3 lobbyists to federal prosecutors at SDNY

Cases cut across party lines:

"The cases cut across party lines, focusing on both powerful Democratic and Republican players in Washington, including one whom Trump has repeatedly targeted — Democratic superlobbyist Tony Podesta. The cases are unlikely to provoke an outburst from Trump similar to the one he unleashed in April after prosecutors raided the home and office of Michael Cohen, then the president’s lawyer. But these cases do represent a challenge to Washington’s elite, many of whom have earned rich paydays lobbying for foreign interests.

They also tie into the special counsel investigation of Trump: All three cases are linked to Paul Manafort, the president’s former campaign chairman, whose trial on financial fraud charges began Tuesday in Alexandria, Virginia.

Manafort earned tens of millions of dollars lobbying for Ukrainian politicians with ties to Russia, and he drew other Washington lobbyists and lawyers into the work. Now, all three cases being taken on by the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Manhattan are examining whether those lobbyists failed to register as foreign agents, as is required by law, and how they were paid, said people familiar with the investigations."

Guest Muppet
5 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I don’t feel like debating anyone whether 2+2 is 4 any longer, and I especially don’t feel like doing it as some Socratic method nonsense.

You can find your half dozen data points that support trump doesn’t want a wall.  I’ll find half a million.  This is regarded.  

Translation: "fuck, you just hit me with shit I can't refute so I'm going to just "both sides" it. I'm out, bitches!"

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/399975-trump-tweet-storm-came-after-learning-mueller-wants-to-ask-about

President Trump's barrage of tweets Wednesday morning going after special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia investigation reportedly came after the president learned that Mueller wants to ask him about obstruction of justice.

ABC News, citing sources close to the White House, reported that Trump was upset with Mueller’s interest in obstruction and fired off a fresh round of attacks on the special counsel's credibility while calling for Attorney General Jeff Sessions to end the probe.

"Attorney General Jeff Sessions should stop this Rigged Witch Hunt right now, before it continues to stain our country any further," Trump tweeted.

Rudy Giuliani, Trump’s lead attorney in the Russia investigation, later disputed that the president was directing Sessions to fire Mueller. Giuliani argued that Trump uses Twitter to express his opinions, which is what the president was doing Wednesday morning.

Trump’s latest criticism came as Mueller is reportedly looking at the president’s tweets as part of an investigation into whether he has obstructed justice. The New York Times reported that Mueller could look at the tweets as part of a larger pattern of behavior.

God damn the cult is so strong. Jeff Sessions was the first major elected official to go out on a fucking limb, endorsing and campaigning with Donald Trump from the very beginning.

Jeff Sessions is a piece of shit, but he was loyal and stuck his neck out for Trump at the beginning.  He's being done wrong.

Edited by Js1
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Js1 said:

God damn the cult is so strong. Jeff Sessions was the first major elected official to go out on a fucking limb, endorsing and campaigning with Donald Trump from the very beginning.

Jeff Sessions is a piece of shit, but he was loyal and stuck his neck out for Trump at the beginning.  He's being done wrong.

Here's an interesting tidbit: Michael Cohen secured Falwell's endorsement.  You know, the guy who was frequently involved in covering up scandals, and also secretly taped conversations with his benefactors, has known Falwell since 2012 and got the fundy-Christian to endorse Donald fucking Trump in the primaries. 

From a Buzzfeed article.

The relationship between Cohen and Falwell Jr. has not been previously reported, but the two have been acquainted since 2012, according to a source with direct knowledge of Falwell’s decision to endorse Trump. The source, a high-ranking official at Liberty University, said that Falwell Jr. occasionally visited Cohen’s office in New York City but that there was no business relationship between the two men.

According to a separate source with knowledge of Trump’s campaign, Cohen was so confident in Falwell Jr.’s support that he and Trump assured others, even before Trump announced his candidacy, that Falwell Jr. would issue an endorsement.

That article also details a rather strange investment Jerry Jr made into a hostel in the "gayest 6 square miles of the Unite States - South Beach Miami" [linked Politico article] that was incorporated by Jerry III, Jerry Jr's wife, and a 21-year old pool attendant named Giancarlo Granda.  The Buzzfeed article makes only a vague connection between the hostel and Cohen at the end, which might make one wonder why they were discussed in the same article.  Wink, wink.   

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

So Falwell Jr. is gay and they paid off one of his flings with a hostel?  Can't wait until he has to explain that to his flock of assholes.

I'm guessing Falwell III is gay.  But, yeah.  The bigger deal is the implication if Cohen used that information to blackmail Falwell Jr. into endorsing our current President.