The Robert Mueller Investigation

Hugo Stiglitz

13 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Cohen's flip to the D side is absurd.  It comes across as nothing more than grandstanding for Mueller.

This.  

He needs to sit the fuck down, because all it's really doing is giving Team Trump another out ("See! He was a dirty Dem all along!").

2 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

This.  

He needs to sit the fuck down, because all it's really doing is giving Team Trump another out ("See! He was a dirty Dem all along!").

Well, Trump does like to talk about himself a lot.

2 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

This.  

. . . which never seems to trigger any Trumpkins to think "hey, this Donald guy sure isn't very good at hiring people".

10 hours ago, triplehorn said:

meanwhile, here's some serious lacking in horniness 

Take out the papers and the trash

Or you don't get no spending cash

Tell your hoodlum friends outside

You ain't got time to take a ride

a/k/a - Bitch, go clean up your room.

• Like 1

Just now, SubliminalHorn said:

I would have to think that a report incriminating the president and his campaign as conspirators to collude would be very hard to keep covered up

I very sincerely hope you're correct.  

But transparency is not a hallmark of this administration.

The special counsel is investigating trump. Rosenstein hates trump and trump hates him. You guys are already hedging. If there was anything incriminating of the president this would be out before midterms and impeachment would be on the table with the blue wave. If there is any suggested charges then it will get out before midterms. If not then we have a nothingburger. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

I would have to think that a report incriminating the president and his campaign as conspirators to collude would be very hard to keep covered up

In a functioning republic, you’d be right.

In a republic where the checks on autocratic rule have ceded their authority and pledged unwavering allegiance to the autocrat, not so much.

Mueller is not going to save us. He won’t be allowed to.

Nobody is. The ship has sailed. There’s no fixing this.

1 minute ago, Jhawk said:

The special counsel is investigating trump. Rosenstein hates trump and trump hates him. You guys are already hedging. If there was anything incriminating of the president this would be out before midterms and impeachment would be on the table with the blue wave. If there is any suggested charges then it will get out before midterms. If not then we have a nothingburger. 

LOL.  God damn, man.  Have some pride.

I think you're dead wrong.  Mueller has been running a tight ship so far as leaks go.  He doesn't want to subject the investigation to more claims of improperly influencing the election.  

• Like 2

Negged for using the term "nothingburger".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You have brain worms.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'd like the GOP to try and hide the findings then have them leak, exposing them as complicit as the Trump campaign in the cover up. I wish it was before the mid-terms and do not like hoping for some leaker to be provided this info, but this is the state of politics today: party over country. 

§ 600.9 Notification and reports by the Attorney General.

(a) The Attorney General will notify the Chairman and Ranking Minority Member of the Judiciary Committees of each House of Congress, with an explanation for each action -

(1) Upon appointing a Special Counsel;

(2) Upon removing any Special Counsel; and

(3) Upon conclusion of the Special Counsels investigation, including, to the extent consistent with applicable law, a description and explanation of instances (if any) in which the Attorney General concluded that a proposed action by a Special Counsel was so inappropriate or unwarranted under established Departmental practices that it should not be pursued.

(b) The notification requirement in paragraph (a)(1) of this section may be tolled by the Attorney General upon a finding that legitimate investigative or privacy concerns require confidentiality. At such time as confidentiality is no longer needed, the notification will be provided.

(c) The Attorney General may determine that public release of these reports would be in the public interest, to the extent that release would comply with applicable legal restrictions. All other releases of information by any Department of Justice employee, including the Special Counsel and staff, concerning matters handled by Special Counsels shall be governed by the generally applicable Departmental guidelines concerning public comment with respect to any criminal investigation, and relevant law.

The rule, such as it is. above.

7 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

How do you manage to dress yourself in the morning?

Actually, probably the more pertinent rule in this case is this one, because I think this is more in the nature of an interim report.

§ 600.8 Notification and reports by the Special Counsel.

(a)Budget.

(1) A Special Counsel shall be provided all appropriate resources by the Department of Justice. Within the first 60 days of his or her appointment, the Special Counsel shall develop a proposed budget for the current fiscal year with the assistance of the Justice Management Division for the Attorney General's review and approval. Based on the proposal, the Attorney General shall establish a budget for the operations of the Special Counsel. The budget shall include a request for assignment of personnel, with a description of the qualifications needed.

(2) Thereafter, 90 days before the beginning of each fiscal year, the Special Counsel shall report to the Attorney General the status of the investigation, and provide a budget request for the following year. The Attorney General shall determine whether the investigation should continue and, if so, establish the budget for the next year.

(b)Notification of significant events. The Special Counsel shall notify the Attorney General of events in the course of his or her investigation in conformity with the Departmental guidelines with respect to Urgent Reports.

(c)Closing documentation. At the conclusion of the Special Counsel's work, he or she shall provide the Attorney General with a confidential report explaining the prosecution or declination decisions reached by the Special Counsel.

So it would appear that this is a year-end report to Rosenstein, and probably not many others.  At the conclusion of the investigation, some notice is provided to the Judiciary Commmittee heads.

Whether this leaks or is presented to the public would seem to be up to Rosenstein.

Edited by TwiceHorn

43 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

In a republic where the checks on autocratic rule have ceded their authority and pledged unwavering allegiance to the autocrat, not so much.

Jesus Brisket. If I didn’t know any better it seems like you’re ready to eat a bullet. Nothing is certain. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I read this in the voice of the nihilists from Big Lebowski.

• Like 1

Jesus Brisket. If I didn’t know any better it seems like you’re ready to eat a bullet. Nothing is certain. 

Nope. I’m saving my bullets. I’m not a quitter. I just realize that the normal paths offer no hope of success.
I read this in the voice of the nihilists from Big Lebowski.

And that’s fair.

Also, I’ve pissed on a carpet, back in my college drinking days.

The report is a report.  It's not a request or justification for indictments.  GOP attempting to ignore the Mueller report shouldn't stop indictments from raining down for all those other than Trump, which is exactly what we've been observing over the past 11 months.  It'll get lava hot for GOP who continue to run cover for Trump criminality when the next wave of indictments drops.  Picture if there are Congressional GOP named in the next wave, and they continue to break their Constitutional oaths of office, damn well better pave the cobble in the streets.

Hard to believe we may actually have some sort of end result in sight.  As mentioned 100s of times, if Mueller finds collusion/conspiracy or obstruction of justice or something similar then I will fully support impeachment efforts.

My guess is that there will be no such evidence.  My guess is that Rosenstein will release a statement summarizing Mueller's findings to date but that mueller's investigative notes will not be made public at this time.  When the final comprehensive report by mueller is done, I think it will absolutely be made public.  I dont think anyone will care at that point as the results will already be out there.

I also think this whole notion that somehow trump or the repubs will bury the results is just childish.  By law, the report has to go to the senior members of the senate committee, which obviously includes prominent democrats, and there is simply no way that Mueller would find evidence and then not speak out if the evidence was tried to be buried.

My other prediction, and the one I feel strongest about, is that IF the mueller investigation fails to get trump it will not make any difference to anyone.  Perhaps it will tamper impeachment talk but everyone that believes so strongly that trump is guilty will still think he is guilty but that mueller just could not find the evidence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

I'd like the GOP to try and hide the findings then have them leak, exposing them as complicit as the Trump campaign in the cover up. I wish it was before the mid-terms and do not like hoping for some leaker to be provided this info, but this is the state of politics today: party over country. 

What I've come to terms with recently, and I think what a lot of people are missing, is that there is NOTHING Mueller could find that would alter the viewpoints of 40% of the country.

He could produce video of Putin handing Trump a wad of cash with a wink, and 40% of the country would say that this was no big deal.  Mueller could conclude that Putin and Trump held hands while hacking into voting machines in 2016, and 40% of the country would thank them for keeping the DEMONRATS out of office.  

We live in two different universes.  And it isn't just the crazies that show up to the rallies.  Tens of millions of otherwise normal, fully-functioning adults completely shut down when discussing politics, and I have no idea where to go from here.  We're broken, and there's nothing this report could say that will change any of it.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Ah, the old "if you aren't doing anything wrong, you don't have anything to worry about" play.

No, that's not it.  It has nothing to do with what did or did not happen or right or wrong.  The FBI didn't recover any new information.   How could they?  The claims themselves included no details.

3 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

Hard to believe we may actually have some sort of end result in sight.  As mentioned 100s of times, if Mueller finds collusion/conspiracy or obstruction of justice or something similar then I will fully support impeachment efforts.

My guess is that there will be no such evidence.  My guess is that Rosenstein will release a statement summarizing Mueller's findings to date but that mueller's investigative notes will not be made public at this time.  When the final comprehensive report by mueller is done, I think it will absolutely be made public.  I dont think anyone will care at that point as the results will already be out there.

I also think this whole notion that somehow trump or the repubs will bury the results is just childish.  By law, the report has to go to the senior members of the senate committee, which obviously includes prominent democrats, and there is simply no way that Mueller would find evidence and then not speak out if the evidence was tried to be buried.

My other prediction, and the one I feel strongest about, is that IF the mueller investigation fails to get trump it will not make any difference to anyone.  Perhaps it will tamper impeachment talk but everyone that believes so strongly that trump is guilty will still think he is guilty but that mueller just could not find the evidence.

I think if there was a big bomb to drop it would come out before the midterms.