The Robert Mueller Investigation

Hugo Stiglitz

24 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Welp, there’s my buddy Rick Dearborn again.

His wife was constantly posting “Look at us, all up in the White House all the time” pictures on Facebook - up until Trump started using Jeff Sessions as a punching bag.

Then she openly endorsed Doug Jones and she got blackballed out of the Republican Alabama State Executive Committee.

And since he resigned from his position at the White House, she’s gone absolutely radio silent about politics. And only posts about Alabama football.

Makes me wonder if they’ve been advised by an attorney to lay low.

You should start posting observations/quotes/tweets from this thread to see if you can get a rise out of them.

4 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

I'm not a criminal defense lawyer but I know that there are tolling provisions for civil actions that address things like being outside of the court's jurisdiction, and a quick Google search to the DoJ's website indicates that federal criminal limitations are tolled while a defendant is a fugitive, and an order of tolling can be obtained in certain circumstances (not specifically addressing any official immunity).  

I think you're right, however, at least just based on my quick search that there doesn't seem to be anything directly on point.  Just wondering if this might be something that could be subject to creation by some type of judicial review (but that itself might constitute an ex post facto creation of law--just spitballing here).

I tend to agree with this.  If it's simply a matter of DoJ policy, then Mueller will seek (or he's already sought) an indictment and either keep it sealed or release it and serve the President.

Interesting times, to be sure.

I think the DOJ policy is just an implementation or recognition of an untested constitutional doctrine that a sitting President should not be subject to criminal charges. I think if that doctrine were tested, a part of it certainly could and should be that limitations are tolled while the President is in office and enjoys that immunity, which I don't think anyone has ever suggested is absolute and for all time. And a valid end run/compromise position would seem to be a sealed indictment. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Welp, there’s my buddy Rick Dearborn again.

His wife was constantly posting “Look at us, all up in the White House all the time” pictures on Facebook - up until Trump started using Jeff Sessions as a punching bag.

Then she openly endorsed Doug Jones and she got blackballed out of the Republican Alabama State Executive Committee.

And since he resigned from his position at the White House, she’s gone absolutely radio silent about politics. And only posts about Alabama football.

Makes me wonder if they’ve been advised by an attorney to lay low.

Depends.  Was it a "jew" attorney?

I don’t really get political on Facebook.

I mean, I live in Alabama. The congested, wheezing heart of Trumplandia.

I still have to live and work with the people that can see what I post on FB.

My only exception was during the senate special election but I tried to keep it to only pro Jones posts and not post about what a disgusting shitpickle Roy Moore is.

I try to keep my real life internet activity limited to bragging about my offspring, supporting my various sports teams, discussing my favorite movies/books/TV shows, posting pretty pictures of the British Royal Family, and gushing about Harry Styles.

IOW, basic white girl shit.

This place is my outlet for my political opinions. Keeps my real life less messy.

Now if I happened to bump into her in person, I’d totally have that kind of conversation. I’m just not the kind to put messiness on my front porch, so to speak.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think the DOJ policy is just an implementation or recognition of an untested constitutional doctrine that a sitting President should not be subject to criminal charges. I think if that doctrine were tested, a part of it certainly could and should be that limitations are tolled while the President is in office and enjoys that immunity, which I don't think anyone has ever suggested is absolute and for all time. And a valid end run/compromise position would seem to be a sealed indictment. 

I can see why you wouldn't want a sitting president to be indicted or charged with crimes because it would easily become a political ploy where one party (Republicans) would be trying to charge a Democrat president with bullshit. I think the belief always was if the president committed a crime bad enough to be indicted then they would surely be impeached first. 

That should work but it requires  republican politicians to actually put the country and their duty above their selfish interests and we know that isn't happening. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

I can see why you wouldn't want a sitting president to be indicted or charged with crimes because it would easily become a political ploy where one party (Republicans) would be trying to charge a Democrat president with bullshit. I think the belief always was if the president committed a crime bad enough to be indicted then they would surely be impeached first. 

That should work but it requires  republican politicians to actually put the country and their duty above their selfish interests and we know that isn't happening. 

Founding fathers couldn't have envisioned the level of corruption and treason in today's GOP.

Just now, horncyclist said:

Founding fathers couldn't have envisioned the level of corruption and treason in today's GOP.

I think they did envision it but they didn’t foresee the tools necessary to keep the traitors in power. 

The internet, troll farms, bots, talk radio, Facebook, micro targeting, and billion dollar psyops weren’t in the calculation. 

8 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I don’t really get political on Facebook.

I mean, I live in Alabama. The congested, wheezing heart of Trumplandia.

I still have to live and work with the people that can see what I post on FB.

My only exception was during the senate special election but I tried to keep it to only pro Jones posts and not post about what a disgusting shitpickle Roy Moore is.

I try to keep my real life internet activity limited to bragging about my offspring, supporting my various sports teams, discussing my favorite movies/books/TV shows, posting pretty pictures of the British Royal Family, and gushing about Harry Styles.

IOW, basic white girl shit.

This place is my outlet for my political opinions. Keeps my real life less messy.

Now if I happened to bump into her in person, I’d totally have that kind of conversation. I’m just not the kind to put messiness on my front porch, so to speak.

I used to think this way; I'd steer completely free of political posts.  But I started feeling like a fraud.  So, the beginning of the year I decided to start speaking out, loudly, about my opposition to Trump.  I also like to call out false narratives.  Now, I don't personally attack people for their political stances but I absolutely skewer Trump every chance I get. 

But I really love wearing my "Anti-Trump AF" t-shirt under my jacket to redneck and biker bars.  I like to sit down incognito and wait for the inevitable Trump fellatio conversation to start.  Then the jacket comes off and the fun begins.  It's weird how much less confrontational they get when they realize I'm one of the "snowflakes" they'd been going internet-tough on.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, horncyclist said:

I think they did, that’s partly why we broke away from England.  Well, maybe not the treason part, but they certainly saw the corruption of the English royals and their entourages.   

In theory, Congress would put a check on that corruption.  

In theory. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Yep that's exactly the reasoning, bolstered a little by the notion that it would give the judicial branch a big leg up directly on the executive branch that I think was implicitly intended to be avoided. 

32 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Spy or not, she’s 100% an agent of the Russian government working to advance their subversion of American institutions. 

So she’s a lobbyist. Not like there aren’t plenty of those running around DC also trying to subvert American institutions. 

1 hour ago, Fozzz said:

So Butina isn’t a spy, and is merely on the hook for failing to notify the AG regarding her status as a foreign agent?  Yawn. 

If that turns out to be it, then agree yawn.  If ALL she did was “forget to register,” then this one case doesn’t amount to much.  Most folks think it goes a bit deeper, we should know more tomorrow. 

7 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Do lobbyists not try to subvert American institutions?  Doesn't matter much to me if it's done in the interest of a foreign government or corporation.

This is a great whataboutism and lobbyist are a huge problem too. 

However, foreign governments have military operations they coordinate with their intelligence operations to attack the institutional structures of a adversary county.  They do this for reasons that go far beyond the profit motives of corporations.

Corporations use lobbyists to bend the government in an effort to create more profits for their shareholders.

Pretty big fucking difference.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

Just now, Fozzz said:

Hugo, it sounds like you are referring to espionage, something that Butina has not been charged with.  

There isn’t a difference between a spy and an agent of influence like Butina to the Russians.  

They’re all on the same team trying to achieve the same objectives. 

Yuri out front should have told you.