COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

"I am vaxxed, and am pro-vax"....immediately preceding lockstep anti-vax tropes is the new "I can't be racist, I have black friends!"....which is then immediately followed by super-shitty racist stuff.

"Don't take this the wrong way...but..."

Seems like a lot of you guys are bored in the Cloak Room so you need a new outlet. Why it needs to be here, I have no clue. Try talking about the vaccine instead of people and politics.

Here is the first post:

I thought it might be helpful to have a separate topic related to the vaccine.  If this is too much duplication, mods please delete this thread.  I thought it would be good to talk about who can get the vaccine, where they can get it, what side effects people are seeing, and in general what is going on with distribution.

The CDC has published vaccine distribution guidelines, and if you care, they are worth reading.  They are dividing the timeline into:

• Phase 1 - Potentially limited supply of COVID-19 vaccine doses available
  • Phase 2 - Large number of vaccine doses available
  • Phase 3 - Sufficient supply of vaccine doses for entire population

Who you are will determine if you are eligible for a vaccine in the various phases.

Phase 1 is divided into a Phase 1a and a Phase 1b:

• Phase 1a - Mostly healthcare workers
  • Phase 1b - Other essential workers, people with higher risks, people over 65

If you are eligible to get the vaccine and they have in in stock and you want to get it, it is important to go get it.  Both of the first two vaccines can spoil, so if a dose is sitting there and you aren't there to get it, they might have to throw it away.

Both vaccines require two shots.  It is important to go get that second shot.

Who fits in phase 1b and who has to wait until phase 2 might be a sticking point.  The "people in higher risks" category includes a lot of folks, maybe more than you would think might be in that category.  Hopefully we can quickly get to phase 2 so that we don't spend too long arguing about who is or is not in Phase 1b.

Anyway, I'm interested in everyone's experience with the vaccine and especially getting the word out for those that can go get it, so that every dose ends up in an arm rather than in the trash.

• Hook 'Em 5

On 10/13/2021 at 2:00 PM, Liquor and Poker said:

So if I'm Pfizer 2x, is there any way to get a full dose moderna booster other than to pretend no vax?  If I do that, I'm a bit worried that a 3rd dose will become "mandatory" in some sense at one year (Jan for me) and I won't have gotten it or I will need to get effectively a 4th dose to comply

So in line with this question from last week - I got my first 2 shots at Methodist back in Jan/early Feb.  Today Methodist texts me and basically says "Why TF haven't you gotten a booster?  We show you're going to drop dead because it's been like forever and stuff.  What in the actual fuck is wrong with you? Go get one."

This is kind of what I was getting at about a Moderna UTR "booster" - officially I am going to go long time no shot and at some point institutions will notice and care. My magic vaccine passport will lose its fairy dust because it says I haven't gotten a shot in 10-11-12 months. I guess I can produce my new and improved Moderna one, but then that looks like I only got one shot.  Or produce both and I look like I bought cards from some chiropractor.

Wonder how big a deal it would be to get a Pfizer booster after the Moderna one and how close they can be?  Because that may be where this ends up going.

To honor those here who have fallen from the cloak room, yes I am a bit creeped out by the "surveillance," but that's not really the issue, dude.

Damnit. Moderna fully vaxxed with high antibodies and got it about a month ago from kid bringing it from school.

Over feeling bad in about 4 days with lingering cough and loss of smell. I'm still getting times every day where my chest feels heavy and throat feels weird. I don't feel bad per se, just that feeling when you're about to get a cold. Except it never really goes away. Frustrating.

6 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Damnit. Moderna fully vaxxed with high antibodies and got it about a month ago from kid bringing it from school.

Over feeling bad in about 4 days with lingering cough and loss of smell. I'm still getting times every day where my chest feels heavy and throat feels weird. I don't feel bad per se, just that feeling when you're about to get a cold. Except it never really goes away. Frustrating.

Curious what your AB level was?

I think that the surly lab rats stopped tracking AB levels being reported, but curious is we continue to mount evidence that spike AB titers are not a consistent indicator. 

19 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Sorry to hear that. Hope it goes away soon.

7 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Viral load, Cheech.  Viral load.

Would make total sense. @FirstTimeCaller any big differences in the level of interaction or exposure that you had vs. your wife during the course of your kiddo's illness? Hope y'all are on the mend.  Be thankful that having an immune system primed via vaccination to respond to this shit greatly lowers the risk of serious outcomes and further transmission. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Incredulity said:

My 7 yr old son tested positive today, woke up with a fever and upset stomach.

He literally sneezed in my face while giving me a hug good night Monday night.  Guess we are going to test the efficacy of Moderna from end of April.

Hope your kid does okay.

And let us know how you fare. I know it’s only one anecdotal piece of evidence, but I’d love to hear if you get a breakthrough infection in that factual situation. Even if you don’t have any symptoms, you should get tested to see if you have a breakthrough asymptomatic case. And I got Moderna’d in early March with an unvaccinated kid under 12, so this interests me.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Would make total sense. @FirstTimeCaller any big differences in the level of interaction or exposure that you had vs. your wife during the course of your kiddo's illness? Hope y'all are on the mend.  Be thankful that having an immune system primed via vaccination to respond to this shit greatly lowers the risk of serious outcomes and further transmission. 

Nope. If anything, she spends more time with the kid. He was fine. Slight temp one evening. Next morning had a slight temp and made a couple of barking coughs and we checked him to be sure. He was positive. Within a day he was perfectly fine. 

Meanwhile a month later I'm still feeling it. I'm going to write a letter to Joe Biden and ask for my money back on the vaccine. 

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Hope your kid does okay.

And let us know how you fare. I know it’s only one anecdotal piece of evidence, but I’d love to hear if you get a breakthrough infection in that factual situation. Even if you don’t have any symptoms, you should get tested to see if you have a breakthrough asymptomatic case. And I got Moderna’d in early March with an unvaccinated kid under 12, so this interests me.

Thanks.

Rest of family tested negative.  I am testing today. No symptoms for me yet. Son was pretty lethargic all day with fever around 100-101.  

Funny story, we asked him to take his temperature with the non-contact infrared thermometer around 8pm.  He said, “112”.  Wife and I both bolted for his room and I grabbed the thermometer out of his hand in a panic.  It was 101.2.

Edited by Incredulity
  • Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Thanks.

Rest of family tested negative.  I am testing today. No symptoms for me yet. Son was pretty lethargic all day with fever around 100-101.  

Funny story, we asked him to take his temperature with the non-contact infrared thermometer around 8pm.  He said, “112”.  Wife and I both bolted for his room and I grabbed the thermometer out of his hand in a panic.  It was 101.2.

Yeah, best wishes on your boy.  And that "112" would have scared the living shit outta me.  And it's exactly what my 6yo would say, "Uh, it says 108 Daddy."  AHHHHHH, oh wait, 100 point 8.  

I'll be behind you in the testing line today.  Folks I went to the game with, apparently one of them tested positive and he was a Close Talker...so off I go again.  I thought at the very least, as a society, if we couldn't be kinder to one another...this Pandemic would at least make Close Talkers feel bad about themselves.  But nope, it's like they're making up for lost time.  Plus he had an adult onset lateral lisp, so extra saliva in every syllable.  I gotta find a new group of drunks to watch games with.  

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, best wishes on your boy.  And that "112" would have scared the living shit outta me.  And it's exactly what my 6yo would say, "Uh, it says 108 Daddy."  AHHHHHH, oh wait, 100 point 8.  

I'll be behind you in the testing line today.  Folks I went to the game with, apparently one of them tested positive and he was a Close Talker...so off I go again.  I thought at the very least, as a society, if we couldn't be kinder to one another...this Pandemic would at least make Close Talkers feel bad about themselves.  But nope, it's like they're making up for lost time.  Plus he had an adult onset lateral lisp, so extra saliva in every syllable.  I gotta find a new group of drunks to watch games with.  

Mrw GIF

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Hope your kid does okay.

I don't know if you can read anything into it. In 2020, my brother and his wife picked up their daughter from camp. They kissed her hello and drove her home (4 hr. drive). She said she wasn't feeling well. They got her tested and got the results 3 days later. No one else in the family caught it. OTOH, an elderly guy had a birthday party in 2020 - someone was positive at the party - and all the elderly friends at the party caught it.

7 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I don't know if you can read anything into it. In 2020, my brother and his wife picked up their daughter from camp. They kissed her hello and drove her home (4 hr. drive). She said she wasn't feeling well. They got her tested and got the results 3 days later. No one else in the family caught it. OTOH, an elderly guy had a birthday party in 2020 - someone was positive at the party - and all the elderly friends at the party caught it.

It's is mind fucking.

I tested negative.  Son is doing much better, very low grade fever 99.7. We are basically bribing him to stay in the play room isolated with unlimited TV time.  I don't know how long that will be possible.

Last December I spent 5 or 6 hours hanging out grilling and drinking with my brother 2 days before he tested positive.   I have given up guessing.

I am staying away from work for rest of week and testing on Monday prior to going in.(pretty sure test after 5-7 days is CDC guidance for fully vax exposure).  Assuming no symptoms develop.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

It's is mind fucking.

I tested negative.  Son is doing much better, very low grade fever 99.7. We are basically bribing him to stay in the play room isolated with unlimited TV time.  I don't know how long that will be possible.

Last December I spent 5 or 6 hours hanging out grilling and drinking with my brother 2 days before he tested positive.   I have given up guessing.

I am staying away from work for rest of week and testing on Monday prior to going in.(pretty sure test after 5-7 days is CDC guidance for fully vax exposure).  Assuming no symptoms develop.  

Had the same last Thanksgiving.  Sat next to someone at the dinner table and interacted with unmasked for 4+ hours.  Didn't get it, nor did anyone else.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Bevo said:

The message is to not get older. That's the vaccine they need to work harder on

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 5:43 PM, Redneck Mutha said:

Thanks for posting.  I mentioned upthread that I got J&J back in early Mar, Texas CARES results in early Sep showed antibodies of only 40.  Talked to my doc, he advised starting over from scratch with Moderna.  Got my first Moderna, with some ass-kicking side effects, in mid-Sep.  Second Moderna scheduled next week.

The results from that study make me feel much better about my situation. 

Second Moderna yesterday.  Aches and pains woke me up a few times through the night and still have some aches today (18 hrs later).  Seems to be getting better and side effects not nearly as bad as first.  

Next Cares draw I think is 6 weeks-ish from now, will report back results.

• Hook 'Em 2

I signed up for my Pfizer booster today.  Will go in at 8:30 in the AM on November 18th.  That is just shy of 6 months past my second dose.

My folks are coming up to NYC to see me for Thanksgiving.  They got the J&J shot in March. I am trying to convince them to get a booster in the next couple of weeks so that they are two weeks from the booster when they fly.

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I signed up for my Pfizer booster today.  Will go in at 8:30 in the AM on November 18th.  That is just shy of 6 months past my second dose.

My folks are coming up to NYC to see me for Thanksgiving.  They got the J&J shot in March. I am trying to convince them to get a booster in the next couple of weeks so that they are two weeks from the booster when they fly.

From what I have been seeing the Moderna gives the greatest protection when you mix and match. We also got the J&J. But it doesn't really matter just as long as we can get the booster.

Just now, Dontshootrude said:

LOL at that confidence interval on the Dose 1 to Dose 2 group.  I'm still shocked the number of participants was that low given the myocarditis concerns in younger males.  

Heh, I didn't even notice that.

The safety analysis set had larger sample size.  The original enrolled N=2,250 (median follow-up of 2 months) and the supplemental safety data from another N=2,250 (median fu 2.4 weeks). The latter sample was an add requested by the FDA and which has delayed the ability to move forward with consideration of the EUA for kids. They did not detect any cases of myocarditis in the study. Which is shocking since the projected myocarditis rate is like 1 in 50,000. No study was ever going to be sufficiently sized to detect such a rare event. Post marketing surveillance will have to take that up. But glad we wasted a couple more months on regulatory masturbation. 

26 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Heh, I didn't even notice that.

The safety analysis set had larger sample size.  The original enrolled N=2,250 (median follow-up of 2 months) and the supplemental safety data from another N=2,250 (median fu 2.4 weeks). The latter sample was an add requested by the FDA and which has delayed the ability to move forward with consideration of the EUA for kids. They did not detect any cases of myocarditis in the study. Which is shocking since the projected myocarditis rate is like 1 in 50,000. No study was ever going to be sufficiently sized to detect such a rare event. Post marketing surveillance will have to take that up. But glad we wasted a couple more months on regulatory masturbation. 

Masturbation is never a waste.  Monty Python lied.

Saga continues.

11 yr old daughter developed fever this afternoon.  Tested positive.

Wife ( no fever, fully vaccinated) tested positive when she took daughter to get tested.  She was complaining about feeling “off”. 

Nothing for me yet.  Although every cough or tingle brings the thought.  Interested to see how I test Monday AM.

Son is driving everyone nuts, so very much back to normal.

Edited by Incredulity
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 7:46 PM, Incredulity said:

Son is driving everyone nuts, so very much back to normal.

I feel this deeply. My whole house caught it over the summer — two breakthroughs and one preschooler. The preschooler was 100% better in about two days and ready to go crazy; I was mostly normal in about a week and my wife was worn out for about two weeks.

I was glad and relieved that he bounced back so easily, but a slower recovery would have been good for household sanity during those two weeks.