COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

So is there a rough timetable when they’re going to open the booster to all age groups? My dad has already said he will get it, but he wants to wait until it’s opened up to everyone. He’s 63 and obese so I’d like for him to just get it now before the holidays but he’s being pretty stubborn about it. 

22 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

So is there a rough timetable when they’re going to open the booster to all age groups? My dad has already said he will get it, but he wants to wait until it’s opened up to everyone. He’s 63 and obese so I’d like for him to just get it now before the holidays but he’s being pretty stubborn about it. 

Bribe him, cuss him, do whatever you need to.  He qualifies.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

I’m 46 and got it a month ago.  If he’s obese he’s been qualified for a while.  He just has to be willing to admit that he’s obese on a form.

On 11/4/2021 at 5:12 PM, Not from Texas said:

Had my 11 year old daughter scheduled for first shot next Saturday.  Tuesday she had a low fever 99.6 and complained of a headache.  She has displayed no other symptoms other then an ear ache so we took her to the Doctor yesterday.  They didn't think it was an ear or sinus infection and claimed they have seen Covid cases in kids with these symptoms, so they swabbed her brain.  Found out this afternoon she is positive.

I woke up today feeling like shit with a headache, sore throat and slight cough.  Had both Moderna shots back in April/May. Just took the home test and it was negative, but I will probably go get the swab tomorrow.  So far the Wife showing no symptoms.(she was 2X Pfizer in April)

Sorry for the late update on this I was traveling for work.  Thursday I felt like crap, home test negative, Friday chills and extremely tired, home test negative. Saturday felt great swabbed the nose, tested negative and been fine since. Guess it is possible I had a flu bug while the young one had covid.

Daughter had a fever 100-101 and head/ear aches for 8 days no loss of taste/smell or cough.  Tested negative and went back to school on the 12th.  Wife made it through with out catching it.

24 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Do we know if there is any benefit to getting a booster if my antibody levels are still high from the first two moderna shots?

Hard to say. I think that is one of the purposes of the UT study. Personally, I would wait for a bit. I got my last shot in January and I'll probably get my booster at the beginning of December because I am going on vacation over Christmas. So, I wanted to space out my booster from my first immunizations - basically because I don't know what the safety/efficacy data is going to look like in 5 years if we start getting boosters every six months. Maybe that won't happen, maybe not getting the booster every six months is more dangerous than any unknown future side-effects from multiple boosters, so I wouldn't even call my decision to wait a year between boosters as an educated guess - It's just a guess.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Do we know if there is any benefit to getting a booster if my antibody levels are still high from the first two moderna shots?

I don't know if there have been any major peer-reviewed studies performed on measured vaccine-induced antibody levels versus infection risk, yet.  So I'm not sure there's any way to definitively answer your question.

1 hour ago, GTX Horn said:

Got a message that I'm due for the 2nd Texas CARES blood draw. Interested in seeing what has happened to my antibody numbers over the past few months. Has anyone else who did that study done the 2nd blood draw yet?

Just did my second draw this morning.  Figure I'll have results to share by tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 2

So, I'm getting my 2nd Texas Cares blood draw this Friday.  

Going to be an interesting set of results in that 1) I caught a COVID breakthrough a day before, on the day of, or a day or two after I got my booster (Moderna) - was symptomatic on Day 5 after my booster and tested positive on Day 6 after my booster, 2) my vaccine antibody count was 642 the last week of August (again, Moderna, 2nd dose mid-March).

73555077-0b46-4a17-ba24-28c515a2ef92_tex

Edited by SizzleChest
  • Hook 'Em 1

Examples:

Raven Blakely

10 hours ago

He definitely talks like that scientist… That is I have no idea exactly what he saying… But there's no way you're going to stick me with one of those vaccines

DR Jabbington Crowe

16 hours ago

My 60 year old dad has covid, and is currently headed to the hospital. He didn't get the vaccine and I believe his odds of surviving are better because of it. Please pray that he comes home healthier and safe. I think it's total and utter horseshit that no one can go in with him.

13 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Examples:

Raven Blakely

10 hours ago

He definitely talks like that scientist… That is I have no idea exactly what he saying… But there's no way you're going to stick me with one of those vaccines

DR Jabbington Crowe

16 hours ago

My 60 year old dad has covid, and is currently headed to the hospital. He didn't get the vaccine and I believe his odds of surviving are better because of it. Please pray that he comes home healthier and safe. I think it's total and utter horseshit that no one can go in with him.

Who reads Youtube comments and what do youtube comments have to do with the video?

On 10/14/2021 at 10:08 AM, Brisketexan said:

Want to draw some broad conclusions based on race?  Our resident fundagelican anti-vaxxer crowd ain't gonna like 'em.  They would include conclusions like "so, the data shows that black and hispanic Americans can be persuaded by reason and evidence, unlike entrenched white evangelicals with a raging case of oppositional defiance disorder."

Seen recent numbers?  They continue this trend.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Second set of results from Texas Cares.

Second shot on 1/18/21.  Booster in mid August.

As of 11/15/21, Negative for prior infection.  Vaccine antibodies still out of range >2,500. 

Off to get breathed on by some randoms.

Oh, yeah.  Might go tomorrow to get my labs drawn. Do you remember what your level were at time of first draw. 

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

This might shock some people so deep breath, but it appears being vaccinated keeps you out of the hospital. Colorado stats.

image.png.ff16a2ba599531191a08e88614a3941a.png

No wai.  Would be interesting to see how many of the breakthroughs that resulted in hospitalization were in patients that were immunocompromised or had other factors that may blunt their immune response to the vax. I would major that it is not an insignificant proportion. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

No wai.  Would be interesting to see how many of the breakthroughs that resulted in hospitalization were in patients that were immunocompromised or had other factors that may blunt their immune response to the vax. I would major that it is not an insignificant proportion. 

Yep, that's a subset of data that I'd like to see.  In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if it showed 1) if you aren't seriously unhealthy/compromised, being vaxxed pretty much always keeps you out of the ICU, and 2) even if you are unhealthy, it still significantly reduces your likelihood of ending up in the ICU.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep, that's a subset of data that I'd like to see.  In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if it showed 1) if you aren't seriously unhealthy/compromised, being vaxxed pretty much always keeps you out of the ICU, and 2) even if you are unhealthy, it still significantly reduces your likelihood of ending up in the ICU.

Right.  My hunch is that the vast majority of those vaccinated that are hospitalized are extremely elderly or have other complicating factors involved. 

Just got my second round, at 850.  Quite certain I started out at 895 at my draw in August.  I'm guessing, and correct me if I'm wrong here because I don't "do my own research" at Ace Hardware (much as I love that place)...but I'm guessing most of us plateau at some point during the vaccination process.  Of any kinda vaccine, Covid or measles or whatever.  Just a question how long the plateau lasts.  I'd like to be higher in terms of count obviously, but am okay with how it's leveled off. 

But I'm likely due for a dropoff and don't want that to be during Christmas season or dead of Winter in February.  So I'm going for the booster later this month.  As usual...I still ponder getting the Moderna to compliment my Pfizer but it looks like Pfizer and my body have reached a symbiotic balance that maybe I should fuck with.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Just got my second round, at 850.  Quite certain I started out at 895 at my draw in August.  I'm guessing, and correct me if I'm wrong here because I don't "do my own research" at Ace Hardware (much as I love that place)...but I'm guessing most of us plateau at some point during the vaccination process.  Of any kinda vaccine, Covid or measles or whatever.  Just a question how long the plateau lasts.  I'd like to be higher in terms of count obviously, but am okay with how it's leveled off. 

But I'm likely due for a dropoff and don't want that to be during Christmas season or dead of Winter in February.  So I'm going for the booster later this month.  As usual...I still ponder getting the Moderna to compliment my Pfizer but it looks like Pfizer and my body have reached a symbiotic balance that maybe I should fuck with.  

The Pfizer booster has treated me well . . . apparently.

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Not to derail the the thread, but is the leading line of thought that we will need a booster every year like the flu vaccine? Or is this a 4 shot deal like polio? Or no one really knows 

I don't necessarily agree with the article, but it is the type of thing you should look for: https://fortune.com/2021/09/11/covid-future-predictions-vaccines-test/

If the article is correct, and they continue to talk about a booster every 6mo., I have concerns about efficacy and side-effects, basically that we will be in uncharted territory. It will be interesting to see if the vaccine changes every few years, if the disease becomes a norm like the flu (this would be my guess), and if better vaccines and treatments emerge. I am very high on the Pfizer protease inhibitor in development. I haven't seen any major leaps in vaccines entering clinical trials. I have seen the virus become less of a threat as more people have been exposed and vaccinated and better treatments have emerged. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Bookman said:

Less of a threat to whom?

Those who have been previously exposed to the virus. Those who have been vaccinated. And potentially even the unvaccinated as new treatments such as monoclonals and protease inhibitors are developed.

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Those who have been previously exposed to the virus. Those who have been vaccinated. And potentially even the unvaccinated as new treatments such as monoclonals and protease inhibitors are developed.

That’s interesting. I’d say with the delta variant it’s become more of a threat to the general population over the last six months. 

16 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Do you also have concerns about getting a flu shot every year?  If not, why?  You are venturing in to just asking questions territory.

Not really because there is lots of evidence on safety over time. If mRNA vaccines become a standard then there isn't much evidence to this date - The mRNA vaccines could become less effective because of early clearance from your system and reactions to the vaccine and its components (like the lipid carrier) could increase over years of use. It would kind of suck if you needed a vaccine for cancer in 20 years and couldn't get it. I'm not saying it will happen and I am not saying that it is likely. What I am saying is that it is a possibility so I personally will tread cautiously.

Not to derail the the thread, but is the leading line of thought that we will need a booster every year like the flu vaccine? Or is this a 4 shot deal like polio? Or no one really knows 
I think no one really knows yet.

My understanding is that boosters increase antibodies, which prevents illness from ever happening.

Those wane over time, but your body still has immune memory should you get infected. When that occurs, it still takes a while (3-5 days) for your body to remember how to make the antibodies. You can still get sick, but your body will know how to fight it and prevent the serious hospitalizations.

If you're somebody who can't ever even get sick, boosters are probably the correct course of action. But if you don't have any co-morbidities, you should be okay with the normal dosage. Of course, time will tell on that.

I got a lot of that from the following Atlantic article, and it was retweeted from a lot of vaccine equity docs and scientists, so there's likely some of that slant to it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/08/americans-are-losing-sight-endgame/619916/

1 minute ago, smoky said:

I think no one really knows yet.

My understanding is that boosters increase antibodies, which prevents illness from ever happening.

Those wane over time, but your body still has immune memory should you get infected. When that occurs, it still takes a while (3-5 days) for your body to remember how to make the antibodies. You can still get sick, but your body will know how to fight it and prevent the serious hospitalizations.

If you're somebody who can't ever even get sick, boosters are probably the correct course of action. But if you don't have any co-morbidities, you should be okay with the normal dosage. Of course, time will tell on that.

I got a lot of that from the following Atlantic article, and it was retweeted from a lot of vaccine equity docs and scientists, so there's likely some of that slant to it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/08/americans-are-losing-sight-endgame/619916/

Like with pretty much anything else with respect to health, risk is assessed by 1) age and 2) comorbidities.  So, boosters should be an individual decision in consult with a trusted HCP.  If you are in your 60s, boost thyself.  If you are in your 30s and healthy, maybe not.

But, for me, I'm not going to wave off future COVID-19 mRNA boosters just because "we don't know enough about what it will do to us".  The first step is to avoid hospitalization and death from COVID-19, not some herky-jerky rationalization that you might become resistant to the ingredients in the vaccines and maybe you get cancer because a heretofor non-existent cancer vaccine won't work for you in the future.  Since when are there perfect constructs and binary risk profiles for human health in this life?  Sheesh, I'm never going to wind myself into a pretzel about this stuff.