COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

Moderna second shot 4/9 and no idea about antibody levels. Felt tired Wednesday, but figured it was from staying up and having a couple of beers during Astros game. Felt “off” Thursday, but no fever. So I wore a mask and went to work. That night I spiked a temperature of about 102. Tylenol/ibuprofen kept it under control as I stayed home Friday with fever, chills, and body aches (felt just like I felt after second Moderna shot, but didn’t think about it next day).

Anyway, fever broke and chills body aches went away Friday night so I figured must have had a little bug. Woke up Saturday feeling normal until my wife tells me she used too much bleach cleaning in the morning and couldn’t get smell out of her hands. I couldn’t smell it. I couldn’t smell anything. About an hour later I couldn’t taste anything other than being able to distinguish between salt and sweet. Still felt great, but took an at home test. It was quickly positive (rest of family tested negative). 

I still feel fine now other than taste/smell stuff. Without the taste/smell stuff, I probably wouldn’t have tested because the symptoms came and went so quickly. 

I’m a teacher in a rural district with an anti-mask school board. So I’m sure I picked it up from one of my students. But luckily, they also took away paid covid time when they took away the masks so I get to use my own days off while I quarantine the rest of the week. 

But the shot did its job I guess. I feel fine. Only had one day of symptoms so far. And never had any breathing/chest stuff. Sucks to not be able to taste/smell and to lose a week of classroom time as well as use my days. But it is what it is. Here’s to hoping no one in the family gets it and I remain fever symptom free (other than taste/smell). 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Middle daughter and I got positive results this morning from test yesterday.

She developed fever yesterday.  I don’t have any symptoms that would concern me without being surrounded by infected family, very minor periods of congestion and possibly some intermittent throat scratchiness, no fever or body aches.

Wife has chills and big headache, but no fever.  Oldest and youngest are 100% at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/24/2021 at 1:51 PM, Chet Steadman said:

Got my fist vax back in February and want to get a booster.  Im healthy (knocks on wood) and not an old.  

Is it as easy as just showing up at HEB or Walgreens whenever and getting one same day?

So you no longer fist?

46 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Reportedly some providers (I think Walgreens may be one) will give you a booster no questions asked.  I've heard that HEB might ask questions.

HEB asks the question in the online form (regarding medical conditions if you are 18-64).  All you need to do is answer "Yes" to that question.  

Edited by SizzleChest

New York Times?  You gonna believe that pinko, commie rag?  And you're gonna buy into a legitimate, peer-reviewed clinical test involving existing medications known to be safe for human consumption?  What happened to you, man?  You used to have principles.  

46 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

At this point i think it’s a good idea to go ahead and take Luvox if you get Covid. Especially if you have any of the risk factors. 

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/langlo/article/PIIS2214-109X(21)00448-4/fulltext

I like the fluvoxamine data, but would slow roll broad conclusion until we see some replication in US trials.

Here are two US trials currently enrolling, they will mail you the meds. If you or someone you knows gets COVID, consider enrolling. 

https://covidout.umn.edu/

https://activ6study.org/

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

New York Times?  You gonna believe that pinko, commie rag?  And you're gonna buy into a legitimate, peer-reviewed clinical test involving existing medications known to be safe for human consumption?  What happened to you, man?  You used to have principles.  

They coated the pills with horse paste. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I like the fluvoxamine data, but would slow roll broad conclusion until we see some replication in US trials.

Here are two US trials currently enrolling, they will mail you the meds. If you or someone you knows gets COVID, consider enrolling. 

https://covidout.umn.edu/

https://activ6study.org/

Wouldn’t it be a little too late to consider enrolling once you are already diagnosed with COVID?

33 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

For the umn study:

Can I be in this study?

You may qualify if:

• You have a positive COVID test within the past 3 days
  • You are 30 to 85 years old

I mean too late as in, by the time you got diagnosed with COVID, and you sign up, and and two weeks later you get a package in the mail, at that point you have most likely already recovered or you’re fucked.

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Huge.  Really big.  This is going to make a lot of families' holidays a lot more relaxed.

It is? When are the holidays around families ever relaxed? Too many fucking people in the house with screaming kids and all you want to do is go outside and be alone! 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, BERT said:

It is? When are the holidays around families ever relaxed? Too many fucking people in the house with screaming kids and all you want to do is go outside and be alone! 

Yes, but now, you can focus on the good old fashioned things about your family that pissed you off, instead of the new ones.  I'm a fan of tradition.

Well, good news is for those of us with children ages 5-11, we now have a vaccination option.  Bad news is, took about 60 seconds for my local ISD cunt to say these mandates for our elementary school kids were unconstitutional.  I think she's conflating EUA with a Mandate, with the shit rolling around in her head that qualifies as brain tissue (in the most generous of senses).  The next round of stupid wars have begun and once again, she is at the vanguard.  

That said, we'll be going in before Thanksgiving for our 6YO.  I look forward to the protests out front of the drugstore.  

I saw a State of Texas sign at a hotel pool the other day that said if you have diarrhea, you cannot swim that pool.  I'm assuming because inhaling other people's diarrhea is bad for you?  What an affront to our freedoms!  

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Just got my booster at Walgreens. Pharmacist said their scheduling system is usually 2 days behind approval. Most Walgreens have either Pfizer or Moderna. I got my Moderna booster at Justin/Lamar so they won’t give it to kids at that location.

AFAIK, the shot for kids 5-11 is not yet fully approved.  The FDA has authorized it, but the CDC has to approve it, which is likely to be early next week.

Caught a breakthrough infection this week.  Got my Moderna booster last Saturday - no issues.  Felt fine all week until Thursday morning, then a fever crept up.  Was between 99.6 and 100.5 for a few hours.  Felt tired and kind of out of it.  Tylenol (1000mg Q2H) helped.  

Slept poorly that evening, fever got up to 102.5.  More Tylenol and cold compresses knocked it down.  Got tested at 8AM yesterday morning.  Then worked all day (WFH) and basically just felt kinda shitty all day yesterday, but not near as bad as Thursday.  Now just feel kinda lethargic, have a sore throat and mild headache, but nothing bad.

The timing of the infection relative to my booster shot is interesting.  I'm pretty sure I was exposed on Tuesday, but not sure by who yet.

• Rage+1 1

Breakthrough here as well. Picked it up traveling last weekend with idiot friends. Monday and Tuesday had sore throat but felt fine. Tested both days and was negative on each. Wednesday, the lethargy picked up a bit and tested again. Came up positive twice. Stayed home since Tuesday morning. Somehow treated my 8 year old daughter for a week and never got it but going to some stupid ass bar in Minneapolis got me.

So far, no fever and no head or body aches. No issues breathing. A little more tired than usual yesterday and today and had a tough time sleeping last night. Coughing up and blowing decent amount of mucus. Taste and smell made a departure yesterday morning which sucks. Spending a lot of time outside just hanging out in fresh air when I can. Oximeter readings have all been >95 so far. Hopefully, all that continues and Moderna did a good job of training my body’s army.

Taking shitloads of vitamin d, vitamin c, zinc.  Going to start taking a bit of aspirin for fighting clotting. Water, water, more water all day and night right now. Get fucked Covid you fucking mother fucker. Feel free to eat a whole fucking dick. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, sidis said:

Taking shitloads of vitamin d, vitamin c, zinc.  Going to start taking a bit of aspirin for fighting clotting. Water, water, more water all day and night right now. Get fucked Covid you fucking mother fucker. Feel free to eat a whole fucking dick. 

Consider whisky. Just saying. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, sidis said:

Breakthrough here as well. Picked it up traveling last weekend with idiot friends. Monday and Tuesday had sore throat but felt fine. Tested both days and was negative on each. Wednesday, the lethargy picked up a bit and tested again. Came up positive twice. Stayed home since Tuesday morning. Somehow treated my 8 year old daughter for a week and never got it but going to some stupid ass bar in Minneapolis got me.

So far, no fever and no head or body aches. No issues breathing. A little more tired than usual yesterday and today and had a tough time sleeping last night. Coughing up and blowing decent amount of mucus. Taste and smell made a departure yesterday morning which sucks. Spending a lot of time outside just hanging out in fresh air when I can. Oximeter readings have all been >95 so far. Hopefully, all that continues and Moderna did a good job of training my body’s army.

No congestion for me.  I have been hydrating like a mofo and take 5000 I/U Vit D daily.  So far, no departure of taste or smell or breathing issues.  

The only curiosities I have right now are 1) did my booster shot mildly panic my immune system and 2) where did I get it?  After thinking more about it, I now think it's more likely I got it the day after my booster (Sunday).  I felt off Sunday night into Monday, but didn't think much of it at the time.

Just now, SizzleChest said:

No congestion for me.  I have been hydrating like a mofo and take 5000 I/U Vit D daily.  So far, no departure of taste or smell or breathing issues.  

The only curiosities I have right now are 1) did my booster shot mildly panic my immune system and 2) where did I get it?  After thinking more about it, I now think it's more likely I got it the day after my booster (Sunday).  I felt off Sunday night into Monday, but didn't think much of it at the time.

Seems like if nothing else, the booster a few days before exposure gives you at least that much of a head start on ramping up the response. 

6 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

Caught a breakthrough infection this week.  Got my Moderna booster last Saturday - no issues.  Felt fine all week until Thursday morning, then a fever crept up.  Was between 99.6 and 100.5 for a few hours.  Felt tired and kind of out of it.  Tylenol (1000mg Q2H) helped.  

Slept poorly that evening, fever got up to 102.5.  More Tylenol and cold compresses knocked it down.  Got tested at 8AM yesterday morning.  Then worked all day (WFH) and basically just felt kinda shitty all day yesterday, but not near as bad as Thursday.  Now just feel kinda lethargic, have a sore throat and mild headache, but nothing bad.

The timing of the infection relative to my booster shot is interesting.  I'm pretty sure I was exposed on Tuesday, but not sure by who yet.

Maybe you got it from the person administering the vaccine.