COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

No link.  Mrs.LL flew out there this morning to get it when I heard from a buddy from Dallas about it.  She's heading back now after having gotten the Moderna vaccine

please tell me she tried to knock down that big steak dinner before heading home ????

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I keep reading/hearing about people who keep going to the APH website and trying and trying and trying until they can finally schedule an appointment?  What the hell are they doing?  I'm trying to get help an elderly neighbor get an appointment, but the site keeps saying that they have preregistered and someone will contact them when they can make an appointment.  What am I missing

27 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

please tell me she tried to knock down that big steak dinner before heading home ????

Her flight got in from AUS at noon and her return departed AMA at 3:00.  So she had just enough time to run to the civic center, get a shot, and get back to the airport.  Sadly, no stop at the Big Texan on this trip.

I keep reading/hearing about people who keep going to the APH website and trying and trying and trying until they can finally schedule an appointment?  What the hell are they doing?  I'm trying to get help an elderly neighbor get an appointment, but the site keeps saying that they have preregistered and someone will contact them when they can make an appointment.  What am I missing

It may be tiered? For my mom, it directed me to schedule an appointment for her based on her info. She’s 65+ on Medicare/SS disability with MS though.

If you answer the intake questions in just the right way that APH’s magical algorithm is looking for , you will be “approved” for the vaccine now and given a scheduling page with no appointments. This is what people are refreshing and waiting for a spot to open. If you didn’t get the scheduler (as your post indicates), you’ve been waitlisted and have to wait for APH to reach out to you.

As far as I can tell, APH is actively de-prioritizing people that have insurance and are telling those folks to go to their doctor. Nevermind they’re getting more than 90% of the entire county’s allocations, so you’re screwed. Really fucked. Look at the other hubs.

37 minutes ago, texhorn said:

If you answer the intake questions in just the right way that APH’s magical algorithm is looking for , you will be “approved” for the vaccine now and given a scheduling page with no appointments. This is what people are refreshing and waiting for a spot to open. If you didn’t get the scheduler (as your post indicates), you’ve been waitlisted and have to wait for APH to reach out to you.

As far as I can tell, APH is actively de-prioritizing people that have insurance and are telling those folks to go to their doctor. Nevermind they’re getting more than 90% of the entire county’s allocations, so you’re screwed. Really fucked. Look at the other hubs.

Yep. if you are Austin and have insurance(and answered truthfully to the APH weed out questions) forget it.

I've been looking at the vaccine data statewide to try to determine if seniors are really getting priority.  After about a week, it's about a 50/50 mix of those 65 and older and those below 65.  Travis County has similar numbers.

Statewide, Texas is averaging about 28k shots to those over 65 each day.  At that rate, we have 60 days to go until 50% over 65 get their first shot (projected March 28th) and 120 days until 100% get first shots (projected May 27th).

4 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

I've been looking at the vaccine data statewide to try to determine if seniors are really getting priority.  After about a week, it's about a 50/50 mix of those 65 and older and those below 65.  Travis County has similar numbers.

Statewide, Texas is averaging about 28k shots to those over 65 each day.  At that rate, we have 60 days to go until 50% over 65 get their first shot (projected March 28th) and 120 days until 100% get first shots (projected May 27th).

Do you think some/many of the under 65 are the 1A healthcare workers? 

7 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

Do those numbers include what is being giving at retirement communities?   Because I bet that's a shit ton that are not going to hubs etc to get their shots.

JNJ 72% effective.   Let that sucker rip.   Keep the pfizer for the olds and 1bs etc because its more effective.  GIve JNJ to the healthy front line people who need to be out working and dealing with the public.  Grocery stores, retail, bartenders, restaurants, everyone in travel, liquor stores, gun stores, strip clubs.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-29/j-j-single-dose-vaccine-provides-strong-shield-against-covid-19?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic

And some color for the lazy who don't want to read the article.

In the more than 44,000-person study, the vaccine prevented 66% of moderate to severe cases of Covid-19, according to a company statement on Friday. And it was particularly effective at stopping severe disease, preventing 85% of severe infections and 100% of hospitalizations and deaths.

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 9:27 PM, Anastasis said:

If this thing comes in anywhere north of 70% effective it's fucking go time.

Let's fucking do this. 

28 minutes ago, midtown said:

100% of hospitalizations and deaths.

This is the way.  Didn't see any information on 65+. 

Edited by Anastasis

32 minutes ago, midtown said:

And some color for the lazy who don't want to read the article.

Additional from the press release...

The vaccine candidate was 85 percent effective in preventing severe disease across all regions studied, [i] 28 days after vaccination in all adults 18 years and older. Efficacy against severe disease increased over time with no cases in vaccinated participants reported after day 49.

The Janssen COVID-19 vaccine candidate demonstrated complete protection against COVID-related hospitalization and death, 28 days post-vaccination. There was a clear effect of the vaccine on COVID-19 cases requiring medical intervention (hospitalization, ICU admission, mechanical ventilation, extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO)), with no reported cases among participants who had received the Janssen COVID-19 vaccine, 28 days post-vaccination.

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

CNN had the JNJ this morning as 66% effective against infection and 85% at preventing severe cases.  That is way off of what had been predicted.

What was being predicted?  I honestly don't recall. Seems like all the adenovirus vectors are underperforming the mRNA vaccines, but the mRNA vaccines also had the luxury of running their trials before the wide spread emergence of variants at their international study sites. I think that the mRNA stuff in the future, but in the mean time get as many shots in the arms no matter what type and we will save many lives. 

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It was hoped to be as effective as Moderna and Pfizer from everything I read.  From additional reading this morning, JNJ had 0 deaths after 28 days, so that is great news at least.

Yeah, would like to see the numbers in the placebo group though.  There were not a lot of deaths in the PFE and MRNA trials overall.

This is also only one shot, and they have a prime-boost regimen currently in study. 

This is a great day with 2 new vax candidates showing out good data.  Get shots in fucking arms.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, HookEm said:

My in-laws drove up to Amarillo a few weeks ago to get the 1st vaccine. Waited about an hour to get it. Are there still lines now?

Are they not even asking if people are 1B now?

30,000 is a ton of vaccines for a community of that size.

There was about an 80-minute wait at the noon hour.  I think a lot of that has to be a lunch rush.

But no--they are not doing any screening for Group 1B.  It's just a "walk up and get your shot" situation.

Also--my source says Odessa (Ratliff Stadium) has been the same way this week.  No idea if they still have any vaccine as of today, but it's worth a call if you're within driving distance of Odessa.  They're not doing any screening.

9 hours ago, XYZ said:

Why didn’t you also go?

Someone had to stay with the kids and manage them in Zoom school.

There was also some big difference in efficacy between regions.  US was highest so I guess it's possible it's approved for US maybe not South America etc.

J&J’s results produced more evidence that the variants will be harder to ward off. In the U.S., where mutations aren’t thought to be as widespread, the vaccine was 72% effective. But in South Africa, where a variant called B.1.351 is circulating widely, it was only 57% effective. And the shot was 66% effective in Latin America.

Edited by midtown

2 hours ago, midtown said:

Do those numbers include what is being giving at retirement communities?   Because I bet that's a shit ton that are not going to hubs etc to get their shots.

The numbers include everyone vaccinated in Texas.  They come from ImmTrac2, the statewide tracking system.  I assume everyone getting vaccinated is having their data put into that system.  I am getting my data here:

https://tabexternal.dshs.texas.gov/t/THD/views/COVID-19VaccineinTexasDashboard/Summary?%3Aorigin=card_share_link&%3Aembed=y&%3AisGuestRedirectFromVizportal=y&%3Amobile=true&%3AdeepLinkingDisabled=y

For example, the Travis County numbers are not the same as the numbers for the Austin Public Health hub.  Travis County residents can go elsewhere for shots and the Austin Public Health hub can serve people from outside Travis Co.

The numbers I am using are where people live who got the shot, not where they got the shot or how they got the shot.

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

There should be one website for all opportunities for the vaccine in a given area.

It should have the following...

Name

Pre-existing condition (if any)

E-mail address

Phone number

Enter that and they should be able to call, text or email you 1 week before to tell you when to come.

The end.

You forgot the "do you have insurance?" And "ethnicity" questions

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Do you think some/many of the under 65 are the 1A healthcare workers? 

Yes, early on.  Probably not as much in the last week.  Hard to tell.

To date, only about 40% of the shots have gone to those over 65 in Texas, and 35% in Travis County.  But over the last week, about 51% statewide have gone to seniors, and 46% in Travis County.

Four weeks ago, the number was probably 10% of shots to seniors, 90% to everyone else.  It was defiantly 1A healthcare workers plus others who were in position to get it thanks to privilege or connections.

12 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

US Population: 328 Million 

US Adult Population: 209 Million 

1 Dose Vaccinated: 27.3 Million, 

How many shots are we getting from Modena/Pfizer per month? 

In the US:

Pfizer: 4.37 million doses per week allocated for next week
Moderna 5.78 million doses per week allocated for next week

Over the last four week of allocation (which is roughly a month, add a bit)

Pfizer: 17.1 million doses
Moderna: 18.4 million doses

Each person requires two doses.

Pfizer doesn't make their money in the EU, with their heavily regulated drug prices, that's for sure.  The rest of the world, especially the EU, can kindly fuck off on this issue as far as I'm concerned.  Everyday Americans have subsidized their cheap medicine for decades by paying ridiculous prices here.  Yanks should be first in line for this one.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Texas Jeff said:

Four weeks ago, the number was probably 10% of shots to seniors, 90% to everyone else.  It was defiantly 1A healthcare workers plus others who were in position to get it thanks to privilege or connections.

Yep, the "fully vaccinated" tab definitely skews heavily towards the 16-49 group reflecting 1A healthcare.

1 hour ago, texhorn said:

Aren't all of the US doses coming from Pfizer's plant in Michigan? 

I'm not sure all of them are, but I know that some definitely are.

But it speaks to a danger of the EU's decision.  There's nothing special about the facilities in the EU.  And the EU's decision to restrict export, if taken, will only encourage manufacturers to shift production outside the EU.  And, in the case of AstraZenica or another manufacturer that doesn't have its own facilities outside the EU, it will encourage them to license production to other manufacturers outside the EU.  All of which will only ensure that less vaccine is actually produced.

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

There was about an 80-minute wait at the noon hour.  I think a lot of that has to be a lunch rush.

But no--they are not doing any screening for Group 1B.  It's just a "walk up and get your shot" situation.

Also--my source says Odessa (Ratliff Stadium) has been the same way this week.  No idea if they still have any vaccine as of today, but it's worth a call if you're within driving distance of Odessa.  They're not doing any screening.

Someone had to stay with the kids and manage them in Zoom school.

Periscope of Pedo Bear at the vax center would be legendary.

MN Longhorn mentioned this upthread. Seems a bit rosy, but I'll allow it.

North Dakota could be well on the way to herd immunity against the coronavirus as researchers at Columbia University believe more than 60% of residents already have been infected.

But researchers who developed the model at Columbia caution that even though vaccination efforts are well under way, masks and social distancing precautions still will be needed through mid-summer or later.
Jeffrey Shaman, an epidemiologist at Columbia, believes more than 105 million Americans already could have been infected, well above the 25 million that have been reported, including more than 60% in North Dakota.
Shaman’s team has been studying the true incidence of infection, starting with the outbreak in China, and has estimated that only 20% of cases are confirmed through testing. The vast majority are missed because people have no symptoms, only mild symptoms or never bother to get tested, he said.

https://www.inforum.com/newsmd/coronavirus/6858630-Herd-immunity-on-the-horizon-Over-60-of-North-Dakotans-may-have-had-COVID-19

18 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

Are the Texas vaccine groups different from the CDC’s groups? My dad falls into 1B from the CDC’s definition (he’s a frontline essential worker, but a few years shy of 65), but it looked like for Texas 1B is only 65+?

Yes, the CDC/ACIP guidelines are just that.  The states determine their own prioritization. 

• Like 1