COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

So....anyone have any lines on places offering vaccine sign-ups?  I know anecdotally of folks who have been able to sign up for a shot at locations far away from Austin (Weatherford, Plano, etc.)....so going outside the core metro area seems like a fair plan.  But I'm kind of at a loss how to figure out where such places might be.  My wife and I don't want to overly jump the line, but we're both 1B, and we'd like to get a reasonable move on things.

I've gone to the DHS site showing places that may have vaccine available, but no hits there.  Just trying to figure out how look more efficiently, so that when there's an opportunity in the next few weeks, we can jump on it.  Willing to drive a couple of hours, but being that we'll need to go back for a second shot, would like to keep it at no more than a couple of hours.

30 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2034577

Here is the new england journal of medicine on the pfizer vax.  Looks like to me around day 12/13/14 the amount infections in the vaccinated group slow dramatically.  It also has efficacy data in the study post 1 shot shows efficacy of 82% or 52%  A little confused on two lines in the study. It has two lines and one says 'after dose 1', and the other says 'after dose 1 to before dose 2'

"After dose 1" is all available follow-up data after dose 1(21k individuals, ~4k person years of follow-up), whereas "Dose 1 to before dose 2" is restricted to the 3 weeks of person time between the two doses (~1k person years of follow-up). 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So....anyone have any lines on places offering vaccine sign-ups?  I know anecdotally of folks who have been able to sign up for a shot at locations far away from Austin (Weatherford, Plano, etc.)....so going outside the core metro area seems like a fair plan.  But I'm kind of at a loss how to figure out where such places might be.  My wife and I don't want to overly jump the line, but we're both 1B, and we'd like to get a reasonable move on things.

I've gone to the DHS site showing places that may have vaccine available, but no hits there.  Just trying to figure out how look more efficiently, so that when there's an opportunity in the next few weeks, we can jump on it.  Willing to drive a couple of hours, but being that we'll need to go back for a second shot, would like to keep it at no more than a couple of hours.

HEB is opening sign up in the morning for a batch of 200 in Portland, TX.

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

HEB is opening sign up in the morning for a batch of 200 in Portland, TX.

I did see that.  I mean, I'm not a dirty hippie, so no way.

Wait.  Different Portland.  Goddamit.

And yeah, I'm guessing I'm going to keep watching their site, and when they open up a batch in Victoria or Seguin, I'll hit it.

Signed up on the Austin Public Health site, but come on -- I don't think anyone expects that to work.  I'm suspecting that if we wait for our name to be called/email to be sent on that one, we'll get a shot sometime in 2025.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I did see that.  I mean, I'm not a dirty hippie, so no way.

Wait.  Different Portland.  Goddamit.

And yeah, I'm guessing I'm going to keep watching their site, and when they open up a batch in Victoria or Seguin, I'll hit it.

Signed up on the Austin Public Health site, but come on -- I don't think anyone expects that to work.  I'm suspecting that if we wait for our name to be called/email to be sent on that one, we'll get a shot sometime in 2025.

beetlejuice waiting room.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, XYZ said:

You mean your opinion on people cutting to the front of the line, or your opinion on young obese people, or what?

Both, but more of the fact that because someone treats their body like shit and doesn’t take care of themselves moves them past people that are 60 years old and have taken care of themselves their entire life. Same thing with smokers being able to bypass healthy people.

The 1B classification is just fucked up in my opinion.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Bernard said:

Took my mom to the City of Houston drive through site at Delmar Stadium today. Couldn’t have been easier. In and out in 30 minutes. Never left the seat of my car. Quite pleased.

Bernard

Bernard how did you get her signed up?  We're in Austin but willing to travel.  Thanks for any info you can provide.  

3 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

Bernard how did you get her signed up?  We're in Austin but willing to travel.  Thanks for any info you can provide.  

https://houstonemergency.org/alerts/

1. Download Everbridge app
2. Sign up for HoustonAlerts
3. Sign up for HoustonRecovers
4. Make sure your phone is set to allow push notifications from the app. This is the fastest way to get the alert. Other options are text and email, but they are slower and appointments go FAST. 1,600 appointments were snapped up in a couple minutes on Friday.

Bernard

HHS released allocations for next week.  Texas's Pfizer allocation stayed constant at around 165k first shots but the Moderna allocation rose from 167k first shots this week to 220k next week, an increase of 53k first shots next week.  That's an extra half-DKR of folks that will get it next week.

Texas has now been granted allocations to eventually cover 13% of the population, even if no further allocations were made.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Orale said:

I get the sentiment but I don't know how that's practically implemented

As if the gobernment doesn't know how much in tax everyone pays.   Just line people up by your 2020 bracket.  Vaccinating a 89 yr old first who seldom leaves the house seems like a waste of resources.

2 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

HHS released allocations for next week.  Texas's Pfizer allocation stayed constant at around 165k first shots but the Moderna allocation rose from 167k first shots this week to 220k next week, an increase of 53k first shots next week.  That's an extra half-DKR of folks that will get it next week.

Texas has now been granted allocations to eventually cover 13% of the population, even if no further allocations were made.

What drove this? Increased overall production? 
Texas getting a higher percentage of overall US?

freeing up shots that were being held back as reserves for 2nd doses?

edit: 

releasing reserves:

WASH­ING­TON—The Biden ad­min­is­tra­tion on Tues­day said it would boost the sup­ply of coro­n-avirus vac­cines sent to states by about 16% for the next three weeks and will pur­chase enough ad­di-tional doses to vac­ci­nate most of the U.S. pop­u­la­tion with a two-dose reg­i­men by the end of the sum­mer.

Se­nior ad­min­is­tra­tion of­fi­cials said the fed­eral gov­ern­ment is work­ing to pur­chase an ad­di­tional 100 mil­lion doses each of the Pfizer Inc. and Mod­erna Inc. vac­cines, in­creas­ing the to­tal U.S. vac­cine or­der by 50% to 600 mil­lion from 400 mil­lion. Of­fi­cials said they ex­pect the ad­di­tional doses to be de­liv­ered over the sum­mer.

The ad­min­is­tra­tion will also start pro­vid­ing states with three weeks’ ad­vance no­tice of their es­ti­mated vac­cine al­lo­ca­tions, up­dated on a run­ning ba­sis, to help with their plan­ning. Gov­er­nors had said al­lo­ca­tions fluc­tu­ated un­der the Trump ad­min­is­tra­tion, com­pli­cat-ing ef­forts to staff vac­ci­na­tion sites and man­age ap­point­ments.

Edited by UTexasFight

39 minutes ago, midtown said:

The problem, as I see it, is regardless of any plan that we think might be right or wrong, it doesn't make a damn bit of difference because we currently have supply issues. I don't think anyone is way wrong in their opinion on how this is being rolled out--I go back and forth on whether or not we should just get them into arms as quickly as possible or if we should slow it down so we can fully vaccinate the demographic most likely to have severe cases. 

We really need J&J, assuming their efficacy data is good, to put the pedal to the metal to really start making a dent in this thing. Otherwise we're going to continue seeing strained supply for the next several months. There's just no other way around it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

The problem, as I see it, is regardless of any plan that we think might be right or wrong, it doesn't make a damn bit of difference because we currently have supply issues. I don't think anyone is way wrong in their opinion on how this is being rolled out--I go back and forth on whether or not we should just get them into arms as quickly as possible or if we should slow it down so we can fully vaccinate the demographic most likely to have severe cases. 

We really need J&J, assuming their efficacy data is good, to put the pedal to the metal to really start making a dent in this thing. Otherwise we're going to continue seeing strained supply for the next several months. There's just no other way around it. 

sure would be a motherfucker if trump turned down multiple offers from Pfizer to buy 100MM doses for Q2'21

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

We're still going to get an additional 100 million doses between Pfizer and Moderna from the Biden admin by end of summer. Link here.

That still doesn't change the fact that it's still going to be a slower than desired rollout until March or April.  

2 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

I don't think anyone is way wrong in their opinion on how this is being rolled out--I go back and forth on whether or not we should just get them into arms as quickly as possible or if we should slow it down so we can fully vaccinate the demographic most likely to have severe cases. 

I agree.  That's why I think I'm ok with the Texas approach of hitting 1A first then a broad 1B definition.  Spread it around while primarily addressing those most at risk but not enough red tape to slow process down to a crawl.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Why I'm really hoping to get the J&J by time I'm eligible. Would prefer to avoid a 2nd dose beating. 

This....if I have to wait a bit, would be nice if that wait was rewarded by access to a single-dose vaccine.

But I ain't big on hope these days.  Presume shittiness.  You'll be right.

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This....if I have to wait a bit, would be nice if that wait was rewarded by access to a single-dose vaccine.

But I ain't big on hope these days.  Presume shittiness.  You'll be right.

These days???

As opposed to the last time you DID have hope, which was, I guess, the paleozoic? ;)

On 1/26/2021 at 2:03 PM, 4th&Five said:

Wife's friend got them through the WilCo site.  She and her husbund are 24 but both obese.  Site says 135,000 are on waitlist but they didn't wait long.

What? They got their first shot already?

we’ve been signed up in Wilco for three weeks Multiple times and have gotten no response.
and we have grandkids older than your wife’s friends.

Even if they did, would they tell you no vaccine for you?
No.
Which is why we're all 1B until October unfortunately.

Yeah, I can get the shot at any point myself, but have been holding off to do the right thing and let people with comorbidities go first. I'm hearing more and more that there's no enforcement of the groups. I'm pretty tempted to just say fuck it. If I get it next week I'll be covid proof before March madness. I'll just grab some cigarettes on my way to get the shot and burn a few. Smoker. 1B. Boom.

31 minutes ago, midtown said:
34 minutes ago, scottsins said:
NSIAP, but in Wilco, there is not even a pretext of 1a, 1b, etc.  They do not even ask the question.

Does anyone anywhere ask why you are 1b etc?

The FHS asks your age.

I developed carpel tunnel syndrome spinning that birth year date wheel.

• Like 1