COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I don’t think that we have enough data yet, just a press release. Need to see the real data and all the cuts, esp high risk 65+. Really hard to make straight up comparisons given the issues you raise in prior post. Gonna be interesting to see it shake out. The logistics of administration are going to fall strongly in JNJs favor. And they still have a two shot regimen in testing. 

Maybe I'm just a hard-ass but if I were king I would put the J & J vaccine in the cue and the people get what they're gonna get.  What is lost in a little effectiveness is more than made up for in convenience, IMO.

To be fair and for the sake of transparency, I think people should be told what vaccine they are getting and if they want to pass on the J & J vaccine they are more than welcome to do so and get to the back of the line.  Doing it any other way is going to cause a logistical nightmare when we're trying to vaccinate hundreds of millions of people in the country and billions across the globe.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Maybe I'm just a hard-ass but if I were king I would put the J & J vaccine in the cue and the people get what they're gonna get.  What is lost in a little effectiveness is more than made up for in convenience, IMO.

To be fair and for the sake of transparency, I think people should be told what vaccine they are getting and if they want to pass on the J & J vaccine they are more than welcome to do so and get to the back of the line.  Doing it any other way is going to cause a logistical nightmare when we're trying to vaccinate hundreds of millions of people in the country and billions across the globe.

I completely understand the idea of sending someone to the back of the line if they refuse a vaccine today. But in reality there is no line. No one is tracking who is declining or delaying the vaccine. That would add a large amount of administration to track everyone. I also don’t think healthcare organizations even want to apply that type of rule. They just want to help someone and move onto the next.

I imagine just tracking who has successfully received the vaccine is a pain.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m scheduled for Moderna on Monday at Kelly Reeves, and I’m torn...my weight is close to the obese level, though I’m not your typical Walmart scooter-looking dude and I have high BP but it’s under control with meds.  My wife is an educator, got hers last week and happened to check the link today seeing availability...so she called my parents first, and then called me to sign up with all of us able to book before the appointments dried up 20m later.  

This rollout has been a complete free-for-all with arbitrary guidelines and total first come / first serve for those of us outside frontline medical staff.  I had no way of knowing if the person who would have taken my slot was an 80 year old with multiple conditions taking care of his dementia wife, or a single 25 year old athlete Internet wizard in it for the lulz.  

I’ve got two young kids that depend on my wife and I being available to feed, bath, get to school/daycare etc for them...they’re not old enough to reliably take care of themselves for a few hours. 

Basically I’m borderline 1B and decided that I had an opportunity to take care of my family by getting vaccinated when the opportunity arose, during a rollout with unclear priorities and no way of knowing if I was marginalizing someone more deserving.  

So I thought about it for 2m then ran with it.  You can neg me for it, but I knew I’d heavily regret putting a burden on my family if I got sick because I chose to make a call on moral grounds if I didn’t even know for certain I was helping someone worse off than myself.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I’m scheduled for Moderna on Monday at Kelly Reeves, and I’m torn...my weight is close to the obese level, though I’m not your typical Walmart scooter-looking dude and I have high BP but it’s under control with meds.  My wife is an educator, got hers last week and happened to check the link today seeing availability...so she called my parents first, and then called me to sign up with all of us able to book before the appointments dried up 20m later.  

This rollout has been a complete free-for-all with arbitrary guidelines and total first come / first serve for those of us outside frontline medical staff.  I had no way of knowing if the person who would have taken my slot was an 80 year old with multiple conditions taking care of his dementia wife, or a single 25 year old athlete Internet wizard in it for the lulz.  

I’ve got two young kids that depend on my wife and I being available to feed, bath, get to school/daycare etc for them...they’re not old enough to reliably take care of themselves for a few hours. 

Basically I’m borderline 1B and decided that I had an opportunity to take care of my family by getting vaccinated when the opportunity arose, during a rollout with unclear priorities and no way of knowing if I was marginalizing someone more deserving.  

So I thought about it for 2m then ran with it.  You can neg me for it, but I knew I’d heavily regret putting a burden on my family if I got sick because I chose to make a call on moral grounds if I didn’t even know for certain I was helping someone worse off than myself.  

It's hard to blame any one individual for taking the opportunity to get the vaccine, unless they're physically pushing grandmas out of the way or something. Prioritizing for this isn't the kind of thing you can leave up to personal responsibility/honor system. Everyone's got reason to take it if given the chance. It's an administration issue.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Dare I say the JNJ early results make it sound a lot like a "gasp" flu vaccine (actually probably more effective than a flu vax).  It's not going to get you the near certainty of not getting the Vid like the Moderna/Pfizer vax, but if you get the vid it's probably not gonna make you that sick and even if you end up feeling really shitty, you ain't going to a hospital or dying.  The vid becomes endemic, we all learn to live with something else that makes a few of us feel really shitty every great once in a while, life moves on.  I can live with all that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Well said. I’m borderline 1b but wife has a couple autoimmune issues that we don’t want to risk. We also are in hospitals for work regularly. 

28 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I think getting shots in arms is the most important thing right now.  You're fine.  It is unfortunate that the rollout is such a cluster, but that's not your fault.  Go get it, and help us all get closer to HI.

My wife is a healthcare worker and got her first shot of Moderna this morning.  It was available to her previously but this is the first time her schedule allowed.  I'll get it down the line when it's more readily available.  I'm low risk and 100% work-from-home, so I'm good for a while.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I think getting shots in arms is the most important thing right now.  You're fine.  It is unfortunate that the rollout is such a cluster, but that's not your fault.  Go get it, and help us all get closer to HI.

My wife is a healthcare worker and got her first shot of Moderna this morning.  It was available to her previously but this is the first time her schedule allowed.  I'll get it down the line when it's more readily available.  I'm low risk and 100% work-from-home, so I'm good for a while.

Este

Dare I say the JNJ early results make it sound a lot like a "gasp" flu vaccine (actually probably more effective than a flu vax).  It's not going to get you the near certainty of not getting the Vid like the Moderna/Pfizer vax, but if you get the vid it's probably not gonna make you that sick and even if you end up feeling really shitty, you ain't going to a hospital or dying.  The vid becomes endemic, we all learn to live with something else that makes a few of us feel really shitty every great once in a while, life moves on.  I can live with all that.

Flu vaccine is typically about 40-60 percent effective from year to year so yes, more effective.

Plus from what I have read this week they think that it’s effectiveness (immunity/antibody generation) strengthens over time.

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

What do you mean, “checking the link”?

We have been registered (and re-registered several times) at FHS for over three weeks. The website said we would get an email notification for an appointment, but we’ve heard nothing.

I’m getting frustrated with how Wyoming is handling this.  Since it’s a state with a tiny population, they can and have controlled it at an authoritarian level. 
We are at stage 1b which is different than Texas 1b. They don’t even tell us what the subsequent stages are, even the next one. There are no lists, somehow they have to contact those eligible and ask. 

total first doses received in state are at 57,000 with around 35,000 being administered. 

but here’s the thing that bugs me- these doses come in groups that get thawed and must get used, same as in Texas. So either Wyoming is so good at scheduling that there’s never any wasted shots, or they are wasting shots. Because there’s no lists to get on for a call that there’s excess availability on any given day. 

Plus if you take the 600k population, remove those under 16, then halve that based on surveys of who wants the vaccine, you end up with something like 250k people in the whole state that want to and can be vaccinated.  We are 30k into that and still doing healthcare workers, teachers, and essential workers, and 70+?Doesn’t add up to me. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

A step further- my county is around 20k people. So using the same formula, 8-9000 want the vaccine. Data says 3000 first shots have been administered.  So around a third of everyone that wants one. Yet we are still in 1b which is essential workers. 
unless all of the people that don’t want it are under 70, but the population here is so homogeneous in thought that I doubt that’s the case. The unproven/rushed/microchipped crowd spans all ages. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

17 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m getting frustrated with how Wyoming is handling this.  Since it’s a state with a tiny population, they can and have controlled it at an authoritarian level. 
We are at stage 1b which is different than Texas 1b. They don’t even tell us what the subsequent stages are, even the next one. There are no lists, somehow they have to contact those eligible and ask. 

total first doses received in state are at 57,000 with around 35,000 being administered. 

but here’s the thing that bugs me- these doses come in groups that get thawed and must get used, same as in Texas. So either Wyoming is so good at scheduling that there’s never any wasted shots, or they are wasting shots. Because there’s no lists to get on for a call that there’s excess availability on any given day. 

Plus if you take the 600k population, remove those under 16, then halve that based on surveys of who wants the vaccine, you end up with something like 250k people in the whole state that want to and can be vaccinated.  We are 30k into that and still doing healthcare workers, teachers, and essential workers, and 70+?Doesn’t add up to me. 

Yeah but the view is incredible.

Lol, just being an asshole, been a rough week.   Some dickhead went to work sick, infecting my best friend and his family and shutting down an entire project of guys who were working on improving radio communications between firefighting operations by the Air National Guard.  Butterfly effect.   Plus my aunt got killed in a car wreck yesterday which sucks ass.   2021 is not promising so far.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The J&J vaccine with its apparent lower efficacy rate is going to create some interesting situations. If numbers are accurate, there is relatively no difference in results for the moderna or Pfizer vaccine. Patients should be willing to take whatever is available and not worry about effectiveness.

but J&J’s efficacy results in their US trials were basically 72% versus Pfizer/Moderna’s ~95%.  Note: The numbers get a bit tricky in terms of serious infection and trial location for J&J. However J&J offers some great logistical advantages:  1 dose and simpler storage requirements.

Some (many?) patients don’t care if a vaccine takes 2 doses. And patients definitely don’t care about vaccine storage. But 72% vs 95% (or 94) isn’t the same. Will people reject J&J and hold out for Pfizer/Moderna?

Do we need to prioritize Pfizer and moderna for high risk, and J&J for low risk patients?

72% vs 95% is not an apples to apples comparison and gives a dangerously inaccurate portrayal of the effectiveness of the JNJ vaccine.  So far the data shows the JNJ vaccine is 85% effective against the original variant, and that it was 100% effective at preventing hospitalizations and death.  The data also shows the effectiveness goes up over time.  And all of this is with a single shot that doesn’t require refrigeration.

Its fine to label the JNJ as slightly less effective than the Moderna/Pfizer vaccines, but only as a footnote.  If the JNJ vaccine were the only one available it would be more than enough to end the pandemic.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Btw my aunts husband was a cool dude and AFL-CIO rep at the Texas capitol, helping out the guys who put in insulation at the south Texas nuke project.  Tejas60 would know him.   He’s in intensive care now, your thoughts would be appreciated.   Sorry for the Cheerio pissing. 

That is awful to hear. Condolences to your family and best wishes for her husband’s recovery.

13 minutes ago, midtown said:
21 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
Yeah, about that...

No? I know they are having some short term issues but didn't they say they could produce a billion doses by summer?

Their original contract with the US government was 12 million in February, 100 million by June. They're about two months behind that. Probably won't have significant volume until April. Maybe you're thinking of the pricetag - $1 billion? https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/13/health/covid-vaccine-johnson-johnson.html  

And for the record, I'm being tongue in cheek. J&J is no silver bullet but I absolutely agree that 100m doses of a relatively effective single-dose, easily deployable vaccine is huge.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, XYZ said:

100% effective at not sending you to the hospital, that’s what matters.

Yeah, the faster we can get people from needing ICU to just being sick at home, the better.   Doesn’t matter if it’s not 100%, anything is better than what we had a few months ago.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 2

So anybody got any tips for new secret places to get the vaccine? You know, drive to Sinton, stop at the gas station and go to the phone booth, wait for further instructions, etc? Anybody? Anybody?

Amarillo got another 3,900 doses. So that’s where I would try on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Their original contract with the US government was 12 million in February, 100 million by June. They're about two months behind that. Probably won't have significant volume until April. Maybe you're thinking of the pricetag - $1 billion? https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/13/health/covid-vaccine-johnson-johnson.html  

And for the record, I'm being tongue in cheek. J&J is no silver bullet but I absolutely agree that 100m doses of a relatively effective single-dose, easily deployable vaccine is huge.

That articles is 2 and a half weeks old.  Is that still the current projection?

21 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

72% vs 95% is not an apples to apples comparison and gives a dangerously inaccurate portrayal of the effectiveness of the JNJ vaccine.  So far the data shows the JNJ vaccine is 85% effective against the original variant, and that it was 100% effective at preventing hospitalizations and death.  The data also shows the effectiveness goes up over time.  And all of this is with a single shot that doesn’t require refrigeration.

Its fine to label the JNJ as slightly less effective than the Moderna/Pfizer vaccines, but only as a footnote.  If the JNJ vaccine were the only one available it would be more than enough to end the pandemic.

Este 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, Armybrat said:

That is awful to hear. Condolences to your family and best wishes for her husband’s recovery.

This right here.  Sending good thoughts your way Judge and hopeful for a full recovery for your uncle. 

On 1/30/2021 at 8:58 AM, Homercles said:

I also managed to get a slot at Kelly Reeves on Monday. I did feel a little bad, because I’m not an essential worker, not obese, not a senior, and am overall very healthy, while my parents are on a long wait list to get the vaccine in Wilco. But I also figure that if it’s available I should jump on it for my own peace of mind and to do my part for us all to get closer to herd immunity and some sense of normalcy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

At this point.  I have zero issues with anyone getting their shot(s) if the opportunity presents itself.  In the grand scheme of things any person we can keep from getting sick is good for the health care system, the economy and that persons family.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Looks like HEB has changed their MO. No longer pre-announcing when their reservation system will open. Now they say they will "open new appointment times immediately when our stores receive vaccine". So I guess that means I have to sit here and refresh the scheduler page constantly until some slots magically appear.

Separately, the City of Houston scheduling portal seems to be shut down for the foreseeable future. Too many fast fingered crackers scooping up all the available slots five minutes after they get announced. City is now redirecting vaccine to other channels to better serve the technologically challenged among us.

I'm the Harris County lottery now too, but so are a lot of others. 

Bernard

At this point.  I have zero issues with anyone getting their shot(s) if the opportunity presents itself.  In the grand scheme of things any person we can keep from getting sick is good for the health care system, the economy and that persons family.

Meanwhile Armybrat can't get a slot because he can't f5 fast enough.

Does anyone know the logistics of how the vaccines are distributed each week? For example, if a hub is allocated 7,000 for the week, do they get them all on the first Friday of that week (which I think is the starting day)?  Or do they get 1,000 a day - totaling 7,000 for the week?  Or in some other way?

4 hours ago, HookEm said:

Does anyone know the logistics of how the vaccines are distributed each week? For example, if a hub is allocated 7,000 for the week, do they get them all on the first Friday of that week (which I think is the starting day)?  Or do they get 1,000 a day - totaling 7,000 for the week?  Or in some other way?

In theory that’s how it should work. I’m reality, sites don’t usually know until day before or day of what quantity they are getting in a particular shipment.  In our county sometimes they have come all together, and sometimes broken into multiple shipments.