COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

super frustrating not being able to find a vax for my wife and I who have been exposed in the classroom since mid october, dodging bullets left and right as the kids and staff  around us drop like flies. It also forced us to send our 3 kids back into the classroom at that time. honestly I can't believe we haven't got it yet (as far as we know). at least my parents are due for round 2 soon. not prioritizing teachers in texas was pretty fucked up. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

not prioritizing teachers in texas was pretty fucked up.

Agreed with this.  Teachers should have been in with health care workers.

I guess because the science say, at least according to our district.   Teachers/staff, and kids are NOT contracting it at school from kids but from outside activities.   

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

super frustrating not being able to find a vax for my wife and I who have been exposed in the classroom since mid october, dodging bullets left and right as the kids and staff  around us drop like flies. It also forced us to send our 3 kids back into the classroom at that time. honestly I can't believe we haven't got it yet (as far as we know). at least my parents are due for round 2 soon. not prioritizing teachers in texas was pretty fucked up. 

check your PMs right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, HookEm said:

Does anyone know the logistics of how the vaccines are distributed each week? For example, if a hub is allocated 7,000 for the week, do they get them all on the first Friday of that week (which I think is the starting day)?  Or do they get 1,000 a day - totaling 7,000 for the week?  Or in some other way?

my source is inferring from tweets by the Dallas county judge, but I think they get a bulk shipment and stick people till they run out. 

11 minutes ago, Bernard said:

75+ and teachers were in the CDC's recommendation for Phase 1B. Abbott is such a pandemic/vaccine/logistics expert he decided 65+ and fatties should be in Phase 1B as well. That's a big part of the problem. Phase 1B in Texas is too big.

Bernard 

If he was trying to limit deaths and hosplitalizations, I think 65+ should have been 1B only.   you need medical workers and LTC facilities(assuming most are over 75) in 1A.

to be fair, the mounds of data on spread in schools did point towards not having teachers. of course if the teacher was over 65 that person would be in 1B.

Here's a peek at vaccination rates as of yesterday.  The solid lines show vaccine allocations and the dashed lines show shots in arms.  The blue lines are first shots and the orange lines are second shots.

You can see the dashed blue line slightly pulling towards the solid blue line.  That is great, it means that we are getting a little more efficient at getting first shots in arms.  The delay between allocation and vaccination is shrinking.

The second shot line headed up right on schedule.  Again, that's good because it means that vaccination centers were able to manage the increased second shot volume while also doing better on first shot volume.

vajan31.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Bernard said:

75+ and teachers were in the CDC's recommendation for Phase 1B. Abbott is such a pandemic/vaccine/logistics expert he decided 65+ and fatties should be in Phase 1B as well. That's a big part of the problem. Phase 1B in Texas is too big.

Bernard 

Abbott also decided that teachers did not belong in 1B.

One more chart, showing overall vaccination rates for Texas.  The yellow line shows percentage of Texas over 65 that have had their first shot.   The blue line shows the overall percentage of Texans over 16 that have had one shot. The orange line shows the percentage of Texans over 16 that have had two shots.

Using the most recent 7 day pace, we will vaccinate:

• Texans over 65: 50% in 37 days (March 9th) and 100% in 98 days (May 10th).
  • Texans over 16: 50% in 149 days (June 30th) and 100% in 328 days (December 25th).

vpjan31.jpg

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.29.21250653v1.full.pdf

Here’s some solid data in pre-print form from a very reputable lab.  It shows what we suspected.  

1.  If you already had COVID, you’re more likely to react to first dose of mRNA vaccine

2.  If you already had COVID, you probably just need one vaccine dose to achieve the same level of immunity as those who never had COVID that received 2 doses

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Heme Doc said:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.29.21250653v1.full.pdf

Here’s some solid data in pre-print form from a very reputable lab.  It shows what we suspected.  

1.  If you already had COVID, you’re more likely to react to first dose of mRNA vaccine

2.  If you already had COVID, you probably just need one vaccine dose to achieve the same level of immunity as those who never had COVID that received 2 doses

This is why I wish we could somehow pull off giving everyone an antibody test before hand. That way if you only need 1, your 2nd dose could go to someone else further back in line. I guess that's just adding more red tape, though. 

9 hours ago, Horn_Spanker said:

How are people who are not 1a or 1b getting vaccinated at Kelly Reeves?  ie, non-fatties here in Circle C.

My story is in the ‘check in for vaccinated’ thread but my wife, who is an educator, let me know availability was there for a short moment after calling my folks to get them setup.  

Just now, Horn_Spanker

How are people who are not 1a or 1b getting vaccinated at Kelly Reeves?  ie, non-fatties here in Circle C.

There are a bunch of volunteers directing traffic and what not at Kelly Reeves. As I understand it, their "payment" is the vaccine.

11 minutes ago, Homercles said:

My story is in the ‘check in for vaccinated’ thread but my wife, who is an educator, let me know availability was there for a short moment after calling my folks to get them setup.  

For those that signed up and did the shot at Kelly Reeves, did you get a form to fill out beforehand emailed to you? Did you fill that out and upland DL and Insurance card?

15 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

I'm not sure where you're at, but teachers in parts of the panhandle were distributed vaccines through their school nurses early (as in already had second dose). If you're in Austin, well . . .  we're sorta fucked.

My wife works for Conroe ISD and there is no word on vaccinations for them yet. They usually do a “mobile” flu shot program every year at each campus. I’m hoping they can leverage that same process when the district does have the vaccinations.

So just got asked this question from one of the elders.  I’ve finally gotten them to understand that “shot 1=50% shot2=95%” doesn’t refer to “how strong it protects,” but rather something closer to “whether it protects.”  

Now they want to know how they can find out if they’re in the lucky half.  I assume antibody tests might show up but not definitive either way.  So I said the only way to know is to not get sick. 

Made me wonder though - are people going to get shot 1, take an antibody test, see antibodies, and decide not to bother with shot 2?  Because that’s definitely where the conversation was going.  

12 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

So just got asked this question from one of the elders.  I’ve finally gotten them to understand that “shot 1=50% shot2=95%” doesn’t refer to “how strong it protects,” but rather something closer to “whether it protects.”  

Now they want to know how they can find out if they’re in the lucky half.  I assume antibody tests might show up but not definitive either way.  So I said the only way to know is to not get sick. 

Made me wonder though - are people going to get shot 1, take an antibody test, see antibodies, and decide not to bother with shot 2?  Because that’s definitely where the conversation was going.  

Yeah nothing I've seen has made me think there is any way to know how protective 1 shot is in any individual.  I assume it's highly variable based on numerous factors

48 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

are people going to get shot 1, take an antibody test, see antibodies, and decide not to bother with shot 2?  Because that’s definitely where the conversation was going.  

I scheduled an antibody test for Friday which is 23 days after my first out of curiosity.  From all the research I see its not know if they vaccine will register on the anti-body test.

Just get the second shot, ffs.  We Americans can't seem to stop stepping on our own dicks.  If there's a way to fuck up the vaccination program and remain mired in this nonsense for an extra year or two, we'll find it.   Not wanting to be bothered with a second dose when most can't get the first seems about par for the course.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Just get the second shot, ffs.  We Americans can't seem to stop stepping on our own dicks.  If there's a way to fuck up the vaccination program and remain mired in this nonsense for an extra year or two, we'll find it.   Not wanting to be bothered with a second dose when most can't get the first seems about par for the course.

Not arguing - but if someone in my family thought of it, I can guarantee 100% that thousands of others have.  And not for some good reason, either.  Just to avoid the hassle.  Our nation's primary motivator is to "not be bothered." 

11 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Just get the second shot, ffs.  We Americans can't seem to stop stepping on our own dicks.  If there's a way to fuck up the vaccination program and remain mired in this nonsense for an extra year or two, we'll find it.   Not wanting to be bothered with a second dose when most can't get the first seems about par for the course

I don't think its about getting the second dose it's about letting the second dose to go someone else since we seem to be stepping on our own dicks distributing in the first place.   

7 minutes ago, midtown said:

I don't think its about getting the second dose it's about letting the second dose to go someone else since we seem to be stepping on our own dicks distributing in the first place.   

Unless that became an official policy (i.e., delaying 2nd doses) it seems that people not showing up for 2nd doses potentially means those doses go to waste.   As I understand it, orders are automatically placed for a 2nd dose based on first dose allocation.  If 100 people don't show up for 2nd dose appointments, there aren't necessarily 100 people mulling around the vaccine site waiting for a first dose.  I guess in theory if people cancel in advance they may be able to reallocate but I think it's safe to assume at the moment (in Texas at least) that saying you aren't going to show up for 2nd dose isn't necessarily helpful as there aren't logistics in place to make that dose available to someone else.

Now, there seems like more and more data saying that IF you have already had COVID then 1 dose is all you need.  If we could figure out how to identify those people in advance and adjust logistics accordingly then that would be helpful.  But this is the govt we're talking about so I have zero faith they can figure out how to manage that efficiently.

• Hook 'Em 1

In a perfect world.  Assuming they could test for anti-bodies to the first dose after 2 weeks  Depending on the test you could cancel their spot and call someone up from the bull pen to get their first.  Thousands upon thousands of slots would become available.   I assume eventually we will all need boosters for variants anyway. 

I was just able to book a vaccine shot in two weeks at Kelly Reeves through Family Hospital Systems.  Booking is currently disabled but keep trying.  Select a date a week or more out. I tried to book it sooner but the slot kept getting reserved before I could finish filling out the form. Got my confirmation just before booking went down.

I also managed to get a slot at Kelly Reeves on Monday. I did feel a little bad, because I’m not an essential worker, not obese, not a senior, and am overall very healthy, while my parents are on a long wait list to get the vaccine in Wilco. But I also figure that if it’s available I should jump on it for my own peace of mind and to do my part for us all to get closer to herd immunity and some sense of normalcy.

Just an FYI, but you can reserve spots for other people. When I booked mine, I looped back to add my mom and her husband for their appointments.

You all keep saying “refresh”. 
I keep reregistering but get no notifications. 

I sent you the link to the scheduling page. There’s no need to re-register. Just refresh that page and at the bottom, when available, appointments show up.

Currently, the page says “Booking Disabled”.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 4HE said:

PSA: City Drug in Llano got 1000 doses allocated this week. That’s a HUGE amount for a town that size. Might be worth calling them if you’re in that area and desperate to get one. 

Sorry if already posted. 

There’s nothing called “City Drug” in Llano.

1 hour ago, 4HE said:

PSA: City Drug in Llano got 1000 doses allocated this week. That’s a HUGE amount for a town that size. Might be worth calling them if you’re in that area and desperate to get one. 

Sorry if already posted. 

Especially since 3/4 of Llano doesn't believe there is a virus.

Edited by Ten Bears
grammer
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, scottsins said:

I sent you the link to the scheduling page. There’s no need to re-register. Just refresh that page and at the bottom, when available, appointments show up.

Currently, the page says “Booking Disabled”.

Got our appointments last night.... Mrs. Brat got her shot before lunch this morning, and mine is scheduled next Monday.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Just now, XYZ
1 hour ago, 4HE said:

Sorry if already posted. 

There’s nothing called “City Drug” in Llano.

Try corner drug on Bessemer

3 hours ago, midtown said:

I scheduled an antibody test for Friday which is 23 days after my first out of curiosity.  From all the research I see its not know if they vaccine will register on the anti-body test.

I get dose 2 in a couple days and I am thinking of donating blood a few weeks after that for the free antibody test.

6 hours ago, texhorn said:

Yes. Otherwise there’s another lengthy line you gotta go through for paperwork.

Did they validate that you were in a 1a/1b group to get it? I heard from a friend that is 40 and no underlying conditions and they told her "no" when she pulled up at her appointment time. I've heard mixed reviews on what they are doing.