Any sleepwalkers here?

GhostOfTomJoad

Over the years I've taken the occasional stroll in the middle of the night. Nothing big, just wake up sleeping in the guest room or downstairs on the sofa. A few incidents when I've woken up my wife because I'm walking around the bedroom and talking gibberish to her in my sleep. No harm, no foul.

In the last month I've twice discovered via the security cameras that I'm walking around the backyard. Not for long, only a couple minutes. I have no recollection of it at all. If I had to guess, I'm probably taking a leak on the flower garden. 

The wife is getting more concerned. She's afraid I'm going to fall down the stairs & break my neck, or not limit myself to the backyard & start wandering out the front door or down the street. I find it kinda humorous, but also realize there is a risk here & I'll monitor if this becomes more frequent or dangerous.

Any other midnight strollers here? Should we schedule  meet up that no one will remember?

I woke up one night this summer around 3am to my wife screaming at me in the kitchen. Startled, I started asking her what was going on. She said a loud noise woke her up. Turns out I was pissing in the guest bathroom and ripped the shelf above the toilet off the wall, which sent a bunch of stuff crashing to the floor. Piss and debris was everywhere. I have no recollection. It’s happened before, but not that bad. 

never wake a sleepwalker!

My wife yells and talks gibberish in her sleep every single night.  It's funny as shit.  If it gets outta hand, I just roll over and grope her boobs for awhile till she sorta wakes up and fights me off.  

This is how you maintain a marriage.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

I never have but my older brother did sometimes in his teens, that also includes talking in his sleep. Once my mom found that he'd unlocked the front door and was out on the porch and peeing into the bushes. 

No one has ever told me I talk in my sleep (or snore, which my brother does ferociously). Occasionally I'll have a dream where I go to speak and actually speak for real and I instantly wake up. That happened just in the last week or so. 

A very close friend of mine and fellow UT ex is a notorious sleepwalker.  

He was in LA for the MNC game against USC and went back to the hotel after the post-game victory afterglow.  He was awakened in the wee hours by hotel staff a mere 20 floors from his room and in the lobby; clad only in his underwear.

Nice.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 6:02 PM, freyguy said:

My wife yells and talks gibberish in her sleep every single night.  It's funny as shit.  If it gets outta hand, I just roll over and grope her boobs for awhile till she sorta wakes up and fights me off.  

"Babe you were talking in your sleep, telling me how much you wanted it, I had no choice but to honk a boob."

Think this move is now going to be called "The Freyguy"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Yes. It’s sucks. 

It’s happened to me since I was 4. It’s been described to me as I just walk around with my eyes open and look like I’m hypnotized or a zombie. 

it’s infrequent, but if I’m very busy/active/stressed and fall into a deep sleep there’s a chance it could happen. 

the most memorable time was when I drove out to Orange after work and fell asleep at my buddies apt, I slept walked into the room where his girlfriend was sleeping. Very ‘paranormal activity’ like and freaked her out. Ended our friendship because of it.

It sucks because it’s not something you can control, it’s just something someone tells you about in the morning every blue moon. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bernard said:

On a bitter cold January night, I walked right out of my hotel room at the Sutton Place Hotel (now known as Thompson) in Chicago. The sound that woke me up was the door to the room slamming shut behind me. I was butt ass naked.

Bernard

Exact shit happened to me in Denver. Luckily I was in a t-shirt and boxers, but it sucked going down to the front desk to get a new key

12 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

Yes. It’s sucks. 

It’s happened to me since I was 4. It’s been described to me as I just walk around with my eyes open and look like I’m hypnotized or a zombie. 

it’s infrequent, but if I’m very busy/active/stressed and fall into a deep sleep there’s a chance it could happen. 

the most memorable time was when I drove out to Orange after work and fell asleep at my buddies apt, I slept walked into the room where his girlfriend was sleeping. Very ‘paranormal activity’ like and freaked her out. Ended our friendship because of it.

It sucks because it’s not something you can control, it’s just something someone tells you about in the morning every blue moon. 

So that's how you explain waking up with a foreign object in your rectum?

I haven't done it in a long time, but when I was probably 13, I climbed over the rail of the second story, and walked down the outside of the 3" section of the stairs that stuck out beyond the rail, and stepped off onto the top of the TV back when TVs came in big wooden cabinets. I knocked a picture over, which woke up my parents. Apparently, they tried to wake me up, and I told them to leave me the fuck alone, I just was going to make some nachos. 

Haven't done it in a long time, did it a fair amount as a kid. I think sleeping in a place other than my bed triggered it a lot - my aunt slept in my room once while I was in the guest room, she woke up and I was standing asleep in the shower with the water on. No recollection of that. Once I slepwalked out of a hotel room in Vancouver - woke up to the door closing, pounded on the door but my grandparents wouldn't wake up, I was wearing whitey tighties and a shirt and was 9 years old so I just sat next to the door until some maids came by and let me in. Happened a few times in college and later - still definitely sleepwalking, but probably exacerbated by drinking. I don't think it's happened again since I've sobered up, but I'd bet that I do it again at some point.

According to my family, I sleepwalked as a kid. But in my late 20s, I had quite a few incidents...

One time I woke up with the front door, wearing only my boxers, with a frying pan in my hand.

Another time I dreamt that a large vase was spinning / teetering, and was gonna smash some books I had at the foot of my bed. I jumped up and kicked them under the dresser. I woke up the next morning with the books exactly where I had kicked them.

The last one was fairly normal (I suppose). I woke up in my closet around 3PM fully dressed for work. I probably just had a busy day planned and wanted to wake up early to get it done.

In high school I had to get up absurdly early for swim practice. I always stressed a little about getting to practice on time. I woke up a few times already dressed and standing in my bedroom, ready to go. Once I was brushing my teeth.

That was 40 years ago. Hasn't happened since, as far as I know.