Texas vs. Villanova - ESPN, noon

BigOrange1

Texas seems to have no inside game

they seem to not understand that you can dunk the fuck out of the ball instead of soft shooting it to the basket when you are right under it

they miss shots right under the basket way too often

that is what I thought was the major difference I don't think the "go for the 3" offense can take you long term

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I know he has been labeled as a one and done for awhile, but he could really stand to stick around. As of right now I don't see him playing in the NBA next season.

Saw the same thing said about Allen, Hayes, and to a certain extent Turner and Bamba. They all seem to be enjoying their millions just fine. 

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

agree but it would be nice to have it since we will be bubble again.

Sure but not that long ago, this game would have probably been Villanova blow out.  I’m optimistic about this Texas team.

Edited by Horn80
  • Like 1

And I think Villanova is a potential FF team.  We didn't get blown out by them (which any of the past Shaka teams would have), and we could have won.  That speaks volumes of where this team is athletically.  As I've said in many game threads this year, this team just needs to get the mental part down. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Saw the same thing said about Allen, Hayes, and to a certain extent Turner and Bamba. They all seem to be enjoying their millions just fine. 

Cool. I didn't say it about any of those guys. Greg is either less polished or not as gifted physically as those 4. Or both.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

that is what happened but Pancho said it has to be all 3.

I tried to go back and rewatch it but I changed the channel so can't rewind.  If any foot was on the line before he caught the ball, then he has re-established himself in the backcourt and can catch the ball.  

5 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I tried to go back and rewatch it but I changed the channel so can't rewind.  If any foot was on the line before he caught the ball, then he has re-established himself in the backcourt and can catch the ball.  

he was fully in the front court(both feet).  then he caught the ball. then a foot hit the line.

Edited by dcar00

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

he was fully in the front court(both feet).  then he caught the ball. then a foot hit the line.

Dude, it’s a violation. You can’t do that. Also to give credit to the refs it happened really fast. Too bad because we could have played the end of game much differently.

4 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Dude, it’s a violation. You can’t do that. Also to give credit to the refs it happened really fast. Too bad because we could have played the end of game much differently.

im not saying it isn't...Dude

Edited by dcar00
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Cool. I didn't say it about any of those guys. Greg is either less polished or not as gifted physically as those 4. Or both.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but if you are going to get picked in the first round of the NBA draft, you go. Greg Brown wouldnt even be playing at Texas if he didnt have to play a year in college. Do you think he will improve more in year two on an NBA Bench, G league, or under Shaka's all star coaching staff?

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but if you are going to get picked in the first round of the NBA draft, you go. Greg Brown wouldnt even be playing at Texas if he didnt have to play a year in college. Do you think he will improve more in year two on an NBA Bench, G league, or under Shaka's all star coaching staff?

No one made him play for Texas. He could have gone to the G League out of high school. 

We will see how his play progresses during the rest of the season. I'm only making the point that as of right now he has only hurt his draft stock, and to add to that, there is no guarantee he would have been drafted out of HS anyway. He was 9th in the country out of HS - the NBA never took more than 9 guys out of HS in one draft - and since then the draft has gotten much more competitive internationally. As for whether he would benefit more from a sophomore year in college or a year at the end of someone's bench or in the G League we will see. That kind of depends on the player, but we have a lot of basketball to play before we get to that decision matrix. Right now I think it would be very borderline.

36 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Wut? Lol

Compared to the 4 he listed? I'm not even going to bother comparing him to Turner or Bamba. Allen was both bigger and more polished on both ends of the floor for his position - but not as athletic or fluid with the ball. Hayes was a bit bigger but also played himself into the draft - which Brown has a very good chance at doing. As of right now Brown's draft stock is not as high as Hayes' ended up being.

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

No one made him play for Texas. He could have gone to the G League out of high school. 

We will see how his play progresses during the rest of the season. I'm only making the point that as of right now he has only hurt his draft stock, and to add to that, there is no guarantee he would have been drafted out of HS anyway. He was 9th in the country out of HS - the NBA never took more than 9 guys out of HS in one draft - and since then the draft has gotten much more competitive internationally. As for whether he would benefit more from a sophomore year in college or a year at the end of someone's bench or in the G League we will see. That kind of depends on the player, but we have a lot of basketball to play before we get to that decision matrix. Right now I think it would be very borderline.

Compared to the 4 he listed? I'm not even going to bother comparing him to Turner or Bamba. Allen was both bigger and more polished on both ends of the floor for his position - but not as athletic or fluid with the ball. Hayes was a bit bigger but also played himself into the draft - which Brown has a very good chance at doing. As of right now Brown's draft stock is not as high as Hayes' ended up being.

No player would benefit from staying an extra year with Shaka if the G league is available.

He’s more polished than every player on that list except maybe Allen and he’s more athletic than all of them. He suffers from the same problems that every athletic wing/big has suffered from under Shaka. We simply do not know how to effectively utilize the PnR properly so these super athletes get wasted. His draft stock is still a lottery pick and will be unless he just forgets how to jump between now and the draft.

11 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Sims had 7 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 fouls in 23 minutes ... and otherwise ineffective.  Liddell played 2 minutes and didn’t crack the score sheet.  Who did he piss off since Asheville?

Seems like there should be minutes in the rotation ...

LIddell's minutes wouldve come at the expense of either Brown, Cunningham, or maybe Jones and Ramey. Given our issues with rebounding it would've been tough to sit any of the bigs more than we already did. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I know he has been labeled as a one and done for awhile, but he could really stand to stick around. As of right now I don't see him playing in the NBA next season.

maybe, but Jarrett Allen was *awful* for the first 10-12 games of his one season here, and iirc he ended up averaging a double doble in Big XII play. Greg still has time to find his role on this team, and if he can do that, and get comfortable on the court, then he'll still have every chance to be a one-and-done player, even if he's not yet ready for the league. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

He’s more polished than every player on that list except maybe Allen and he’s more athletic than all of them.

Okay. That's an absurd statement but whatever. Not interested in furthering this convo other than saying I hope he figures it out this season and blossoms down the stretch. 

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

maybe, but Jarrett Allen was *awful* for the first 10-12 games of his one season here, and iirc he ended up averaging a double doble in Big XII play

Thanks. I was too lazy to look it up I guess. Honestly not sure what I was going off of, because I totally remember now thinking that Allen was almost immediately better in the NBA. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Okay. That's an absurd statement but whatever. Not interested in furthering this convo other than saying I hope he figures it out this season and blossoms down the stretch. 

Thanks. I was too lazy to look it up I guess. Honestly not sure what I was going off of, because I totally remember now thinking that Allen was almost immediately better in the NBA. 

Hayes and Bamba both could literally only dunk. Turner had decent game but couldn’t put the ball on the floor. He is the only guy on that list capable of putting the ball on the floor and is the best shooter of that list. And if you don’t see that he is already more athletic than those guys then you must have only ever seen the last 4 games from him.

That said those are poor player comps anyway. Those guys are all 5s which GB3 clearly is not.

Edited by hobbes2702

Guys, please quit acting like idiots. Whenever a young man moves to the next level, there is an adjustment period.  Things that these kids do in high school don't always translate well to the college game. Greg needs to and will learn that he can't just jump over kids like he did in high school. Probably for the first time, he is playing against  competition that is as tall as he is, as strong as he is, a much narrower talent gap and in many cases are more experienced than he is.

The more he plays, the more he will learn how to play at this level and he is getting the coaching he needs to not only play better but also playing smarter. Just give the young man more than 5 games.  The game will begin to slow down for him. He will be fine.   

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

And I think Villanova is a potential FF team.  We didn't get blown out by them (which any of the past Shaka teams would have), and we could have won.  That speaks volumes of where this team is athletically.  As I've said in many game threads this year, this team just needs to get the mental part down. 

I guess it might not be fair for me to do this- since I haven’t watched us play yet this year- but is that code for the coaching is still abjectly horrible?  

Defending Villanova means not biting on every ball fake. Texas bit on every one and Villanova took advantage to get easy shots and makes when they needed it.  Seems like it would have been a point of emphasis by the coaches. They attacked swider to score points when he was matched but then let hid slow feet juke and get open for 3 point makes.  

Lots of promise with this team. Hopefully they can learn how to play smarter  against a quality team like Villanova. 

6 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I guess it might not be fair for me to do this- since I haven’t watched us play yet this year- but is that code for the coaching is still abjectly horrible?  

Pretty much. Luckily we’ve got some freak athletes this year and Coleman is playing lights out 

look, we're going to be competitive in almost every game this season, even in the Big XII in what might be the league's strongest year yet. that said, we all are all well aware of the coaching disadvantage that our team has, and it's very real. still, with our athleticism, size, and defense, we should be very competitive, and we very well could be a scary team come March.

Now let's be real- this fanbase has made it abundantly clear over the last 10-15 years that NCAA Tourney success is what the base desires. So with that said, nobody out there should get too high or too low based on our regular season results. we could seriously finish 5th in the Big XII and then go to the Final Four. just hope for good health and some visible progress during the regular season; we're going to The Dance and we could actually make some noise this year. As long as we don't go directly backwards for a sustained period- it's all good. just enjoy the ride, and hope for the best in March/April. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, realgreggym said:

Guys, please quit acting like idiots. Whenever a young man moves to the next level, there is an adjustment period.  Things that these kids do in high school don't always translate well to the college game. Greg needs to and will learn that he can't just jump over kids like he did in high school. Probably for the first time, he is playing against  competition that is as tall as he is, as strong as he is, a much narrower talent gap and in many cases are more experienced than he is.

The more he plays, the more he will learn how to play at this level and he is getting the coaching he needs to not only play better but also playing smarter. Just give the young man more than 5 games.  The game will begin to slow down for him. He will be fine.   

Yes like Bijan in that regard.

Ramey and AJ need to step it up with the shot selection.  Ramey shows promise at times, but makes too many stupid decisions for an upperclassman.  AJs defense is poor.  I'm not a fan of the three guard lineup with Ramey, AJ and Coleman.  None are suited to cover anyone inside.  I prefer Brown, Cunningham, Liddell and even Kai at the 3 over AJ or Ramey.

That said, there is a huge amount of potential with this group.  I like Hamm and Cunningham off the bench, though Cunningham has earned a starting spot with his play.  AJ in their lineup is not such a glaring defensive hole and provides a little fast break potential.

6 hours ago, VinyVango said:

Ramey and AJ need to step it up with the shot selection.  Ramey shows promise at times, but makes too many stupid decisions for an upperclassman.  AJs defense is poor.  I'm not a fan of the three guard lineup with Ramey, AJ and Coleman.  None are suited to cover anyone inside.  I prefer Brown, Cunningham, Liddell and even Kai at the 3 over AJ or Ramey.

That said, there is a huge amount of potential with this group.  I like Hamm and Cunningham off the bench, though Cunningham has earned a starting spot with his play.  AJ in their lineup is not such a glaring defensive hole and provides a little fast break potential.

Ramey is some sort of hybrid of Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn and Willie Mays Hayes. Which of course is no compliment. Were he a lot more disciplined, he could be a consistent asset. As is, I can't help but feel dread every time he touches the ball or tries to stop a drive in a critical situation. 

one criticism of Shaka that even this team has proven still needs work is that he doesn't seem to do anything in regards to shaking guys of bad habits. whether he just doesn't see them, doesn't address them, or simply doesn't follow through with any punishment for making the same mistakes/bad plays over and over, his guys hold onto bad habits for far too long. 

with Ramey, the most obvious one is that he- literally 5-7 times per game minimum- aggressively drives the lane with his head down with zero plan for what he's going to do with the ball, usually ending him with him leaving his feet at which point he will then figure out whether he's going to pass the ball or shoot it. it drives me insane.

the other really noticeable thing is what a ball-stopper he is. he's the anti-Brock Cunningham, who usually holds onto the ball for about 0.3 seconds before either taking an open jumper or making a crisp pass. Ramey stops the ball, looks around, tries to figure something out, and then usually either shoots a terrible three or aggressively drives the lane with no plan (see above). how Shaka just sits around watching this happen all of the time I cannot explain.